Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Bayonne or Jersey City Heights?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eliquineli4 wrote:
The Heights is not overrun with gangs, but just like any area, even downtown and Hoboken, there are not-so-great areas. I moved from Hoboken to the Heights, we're near the slopes near Manhattan. I have to admit it's not so bad, in my area. Lots of Families and kids. The kids play outside, I see them playing manhunt (hide and seek) when it get a little darker out. I would stay away from areas like New York Ave. I know people who live there near Griffith, and they wouldn't want to walk outside once it gets darker. I honestly think the Heights is no different than any other division of a city, there are good parts and not so good parts. But ultimately the choice is yours. Good Luck!

People shouldn't make blanket statements regarding streets that run several blocks. I live on New York Ave by Congress and it's a nice block. NY between South & Bowers is also a nice block. I can't speak for Griffith because I don't live over there. Newsflash people....The crips, bloods, Latin Kings are all over JC, not just the heights.

I'm a white male and the block I live on is at least 50% white. The city is diverse no matter what section you live in.

As far as Bayonne goes, it's been going downhill for years and the taxes are sky high. The schools are good but you better have at least 2 kids in the school system in order to break even on the taxes.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 22:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/8 23:41
Group:
Registered Users
To xerxes,

What are you talking about? I've lived about a block away from washington park for almost 5 years now. What gang problem are you referring too? It is a given that in just about any major urban area there are going to be gangs, but to suggest that area has a gang problem is ridiculous. I take my kid to that park just about everyday and maybe a handful of times (if i were to make a prejudice prejudgement) I have seen people that fit the profile for gangsters. If you stopped playing world of warcraft and go outside every once in awhile you could see that Its not such a bad place

Peace and chicken grease,
IC

Posted on: 2010/5/17 20:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/13 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
As far as being near Hispanics...well, I'm Hispanic so being near a particular ethnic group is not bad. If your speaking more along the lines of diversity, then I would agree, there are more diverse areas. Like Hoboken, I wouldn't exactly call it "diverse". Generally, the closer you get to union city, the less diverse it becomes, it's mostly Hispanic there. But I agree with the gang part. New York Ave is not the safest area. There were people from some Union City gang...I think they're called DDP next door to my in-laws. Their gang in Union city was actually featured on TV! Of course we said hi, but kept our distance....we don't want to be on their sh*t list.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
They are renovating Washington Park

Washington Park is HALF in Union City, the most densely populated city in the United States with a population that is more than 82% Hispanic.

Living too near the Crips, and Bloods, and Latin Kings fighting for the same turf would make me very nervous...and parks are often that turf.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 13:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/7 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
They are renovating Washington Park and now it is beautiful! Well designed and new play ground will be opening soon. Yes there appears to be more gang activity as of late and not thrilled about it, but neither do the police. I have seen a shift in attitude amongst them which is very refreshing. e.g. you call about even quality of life issues, they come! I think the biggest thing is as a resident, to call, call, call the cops whenever you see these things happening whether it is tagging, or someone wheeling a HD tv down the street yelling that "they just found it and know that it works and will take 80 bucks for it.."

Posted on: 2010/5/17 3:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc97 wrote:
Also, there are some terrific parks up here and a Height's Parents Group is forming.

Really? I'd love to have some info on that, if it is.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 23:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights is not overrun with gangs, but just like any area, even downtown and Hoboken, there are not-so-great areas. I moved from Hoboken to the Heights, we're near the slopes near Manhattan. I have to admit it's not so bad, in my area. Lots of Families and kids. The kids play outside, I see them playing manhunt (hide and seek) when it get a little darker out. I would stay away from areas like New York Ave. I know people who live there near Griffith, and they wouldn't want to walk outside once it gets darker. I honestly think the Heights is no different than any other division of a city, there are good parts and not so good parts. But ultimately the choice is yours. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2010/5/15 23:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/15 18:06
Group:
Registered Users
I am seriously confused.

I used to live in the Heights about 7 years ago on Summit Avenue near Manhattan. I absolutely loved it. I moved out of state and am now back again and live near Journal Square.

Like it here as well but I live in a very small two-family house and I have to keep a good deal of my stuff in storage because the halls of this tiny house are too narrow to accommodate large furniture. At some point I have to move and I was thinking of returning to the Heights.

But now I'm told that the Heights are full of gang members and that I should stay far away. When did this happen?? I never felt afraid when I lived there before.......!

I'm a black woman in my 50s and a native New Yorker -- meaning I don't scare easily and I know that there is crime everywhere. But I wish someone would give an objective and unemotional opinion on whether or not it is safe to live in the Heights, or even Union City.

Also, it's been suggested to me that I should think about moving to Bayonne. But I don't drive, which means I'd have to be near the light rail. And if it's as quiet and close-knit as I've been led to believe, I'm not sure a woman like me would be as comfortable there than I would in the Heights. I'm a city girl; I like to be not far from a place to grab a cup of coffee, buy a bottle a wine, and get a pack of cigarettes, or get breakfast in a friendly nearby diner.

So - what say u?

Posted on: 2010/5/15 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I would say Bayonne, if and only if you can get close to a Light Rail station (assuming NYC employment...likely because there is no employment in Hudson County.) If you need to take a daily bus up and down Kennedy Blvd., you'll soon want to eat a bullet.

Jersey City Heights is a Hispanic ghetto, which is fine if you are Hispanic. It is not as safe as Bayonne and parking is a nightmare if you have a car and no garage.

Bayonne is safe, if dull, and quiet, if dull. Something about Bayonne gives the feeling that time stood still about 1955. There's a certain weirdness and tight family connections and people still see the people they went to high school with. I worked wil several who were full adults who had NEVER been to Manhattan. So an outsider might feel like an OUTSIDER.
There aren't too many towns like Bayonnne in the metropolitan area. Remember the WILLGHOUBY episode from Twilight Zone?

The housing is better in Bayonne too. Too many tar paper shacks covered over with aluminum siding in the Heights.

I lived in the Heights for over 15 years and was only too happy to get out, I no longer felt safe after my car was savaged several times.

But anywhere in Bayonne AWAY from a light rail station will be tediuous commuting.

I don't know about Bayonne public schools but it would be hard to be WORSE than Jersey City's. I know nothing about Bayonne's real estate taxes. It seems fewer Bayonnettes are arrested for corruption than the steady stream of crooks from J.C. Bayonne Hospital is FAR better than any of the Medicaid mills in JC.

Bayonne is clean...the Heights is filthy.

How about MORRISTOWN???

edit: I put the same question to partner: "The HEIGHTS; I HATE Bayonne." What can I say?

Posted on: 2010/5/15 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne sucks.

End of discussion.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 5:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/6 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I have three children and have been living in the Heights for almost eight years. We are very happy here. Our children attend a charter school which is a big plus. At any rate, some of the nicer streets are: Ogden Ave., Sherman Pl., Sherman Ave. (north of Bowers) Webster (north of South St.), and Boreem. There are more, but those are the ones that come to mind first. Being by the lightrail is ideal. Also, there are some terrific parks up here and a Height's Parents Group is forming. Good luck with your decision!

Posted on: 2010/5/15 3:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/13 16:30
Group:
Registered Users
then there was the time that some people who were high on some drug killed a man in their house and then cut him in half and put him in a supermarket cart in order to get rid of his body. true story. on palisades, i think. or baldwin.

i live in the general pershing field / reservoir area. we like the palisades liquor store the best. and matarazzos. i still dream of that damn coffee shop. i will post that on every message thread re: the heights until we get one!!!

i have noticed more hipsters living in the area lately. maybe some people consider me a hipster, i have no idea since i am not really that hip, generally speaking.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 21:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Crime may be everywhere but the stuff I described above all happened in a 3 week period and within a 3 block radius from my house. There are many other muggings and robberies of chinese food delivery men etc... that happenend as well in the last several months. I used to joke that at least I don't hear gunfire at night in my living room. No longer the case.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 19:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/27 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I bought in the Heights almost 10 years ago and I've seen a positive change since then. I have a great commute into the city, can walk to Hoboken and parks and have lots of restaurants to choose from on Central.

We don't have children yet so I can't really comment on whether the Heights would be a good move for you, but otherwise, it's not a bad place to live. Crime is everywhere.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 19:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the Heights (in the "East Village" area) for 7 years and I used to feel like it was safe but in the last few weeks, there have been 5 incidents nearby. A guy was beat up and mugged at 10 pm on Hancock and Griffith; a girl was mugged at 5:30 am at Palisade and Griffith; gunshots were fired on Hancock and Bower 10 pmish. A guy was shot in the back while driving his motorcyle on Central near Reservoir; Another shooting occurred on Congress and Sherman Avenue...These are only the ones that come to mind. Maybe it's a delayed reaction to the economy or there are more gangs in the area now (I heard that some housing project closed and everyone moved up here) but I don't feel as safe anymore. And I'm not the alarmist type. I hope things get better because I can't sell anytime soon with the market the way it is.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cato wrote:
I am a Downtowner looking to buy and I am wondering specifically what neighborhoods are up and coming in the heights.

I see the east side of the Heights becoming the new East Village West. It still has the old seediness of years ago, with pockets condo conversions popping up, along with an infiltration of young grunge hipsters. There?s even a bike shop in the area again.
The further north and west you go into the Heights the better it gets. The area west of Pershing Field up to the bordering area east of Mosquito Park is a nice section of the Heights, almost tranquil.
Then you have the Western Slope an area beneath the Heights "sloping" down to Tonnelle Ave. from one end of the Heights to the other. This section has resident owned houses stretching north and south with a decent amount of property it is usually quiet with not a lot of car traffic.
Also if you stay on the east side you have the Light Rail elevator towards the north end on Congress St. and further towards the south end you will be closer to Journal Square where the bus termianl and PATH trains are.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 13:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/28 13:48
From Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cato wrote:
I am a Downtowner looking to buy and I am wondering specifically what neighborhoods are up and coming in the heights.

In my experience, the area radiating out from the 9th street Light Rail is the most "up and coming" in the Heights. People are really friendly, and everyone I know in the area loves the fact that they can walk into Hoboken if they want to, or they can still get some amazing food on Central Ave.
Mosey

Posted on: 2010/5/13 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The further north and west you go into the Heights the better it gets. The area west of Pershing Field up to the bordering area east of Mosquito Park is a nice area, almost tranquil.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cato wrote:

I sent you a pm regarding a unit in the Heights.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 5:27

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters
There are 2 ways to send someone a PM or Private Message. Once you are logged in click on their Username or on the word Transfer below their post.

To retrieve a PM look for a red number on the inbox link on the left side of this page once you are logged in.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 4:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/5/13 3:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/20 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Deff recommend Bayonne for schools, but look into the grammer school districting, there are better and worse grammer schools. Look into Horace Mann, or Washington Community School districts. East 38-45 streets are really nice. and close to light rail stations (45 and 33)

Posted on: 2010/5/13 2:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/8 18:36
Group:
Registered Users
Seacaucus, is also a place to consider. Best school's in Hudson County Great transpotation to N.Y.C. great access to major highways. Suburban feel type of town. Low crime rate. Low taxes.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 22:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/10 13:56
Group:
Registered Users
I have no idea how to send a private message. Please feel free to pm me and I will reply. Sorry.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
By the way, "Stop & Shop" is really a great supermarket and it is in Bayonne! OK, I'm sorry to go off thread, but stagnantartist, what's the name of that new Egyptian restaurant off Central Ave? ...and what's the cross street?

Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:
... Discovered a new Egyptian restaurant up there this past Saturday night on Central Ave! The Heights will be the next upcoming place..... for the fact that everyone has been priced out of downtown!

Posted on: 2010/5/12 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Kuba,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Christine

Posted on: 2010/5/12 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I would definitely say Bayonne if you have kids. It's true that there are lots of mom and pop stores, nice parks, better schools, etc. I lived on 48th St. near the park for a year, and it was very nice. And Mama Rosa's on Broadway is a great family friendly restaurant.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

This is tough I am pro JC but I wouldn?t want to push JC on someone just to get more bodies into JC. Especially when kids and $$ are involved.

Bayonne is nice. Check out their web site: www.bayonnenj.org

Schools, parks, separate ?way cool? bike and skateboard parks, great recreation programs, miniature golf, there are still mom and pop stores, restaurants, taverns, bakery?s, and deli?s all over Bayonne. ( not too many dollar stores though ) Drive down Broadway and take a look at all of the stores)

As far as transportation goes the light rail cuts right through Bayonne.

The South Cove Plaza over by the cruise ship port has everything you need, shopping, movies, and restaurants. (even has a ?cool? one called Ten East).

A new mall ?Bayonne Crossing? is also under construction with a Lowe?s, Wal-Mart (yes you are in Jersey don?t forget) and a Sonic drive-thru.

Great restaurants (maybe not so cool) but I go to Houlihan's (a lot), Hendricksons (real old school), Petridis (best hot dogs around) .

I am sure you know this...but before you buy anything in JC make sure you drive around the area on a HOT summer night (/early morning). Take in the sights and sounds.

PS ? how can you say there is ?no cool factor? in Bayonne...come on..Chuck Wepner, "The Bayonne Bleeder," still lives there!!

Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
What does it matter what other people say about where you live? If you want your children to have a better public school education, I'd opt for Bayonne. I wouldn't live in JC unless I could afford private school, especially beyond the elementary age. JC has some wonderful charter schools, but if you can't get in, it's not worth it to stay imo.

You might be able to get a 2 bedroom condo in Hoboken for under 500K if you look hard enough. Did you try looking into Weehawken, Edgewater, etc?

What about further out into the burbs? Your parents can take the path to newark and take NJ transit from there. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you can find a decent house in Middlesex county if you are willing to commute.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Of course you realize that you're skewing the results by polling people posting on a Jersey City web site.
Then again, I'm not aware of a Bayonne web site.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017