Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The '70s on the Big Screen @ the Loew's in Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/5 16:11

Re: Step back to the 1970s in big, beautiful 35mm, on the Big Screen @ the Loew's in Journal Sq.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Bump....Taxi Driver w/ Deniro is tonight

Posted on: 2010/5/21 21:50
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Re: Step back to the 1970s in big, beautiful 35mm, on the Big Screen @ the Loew's in Journal Sq.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Looking forward to Blazing Saddles on Saturday Night..

Posted on: 2010/5/18 23:23

Step back to the 1970s in big, beautiful 35mm, on the Big Screen @ the Loew's in Journal Sq.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/24 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
Join us this Friday & Saturday at the Landmark Loew's Jersey, at Journal Square

> "Taxi Driver", Friday, 5/21, 8pm

>> "Blazing Saddles", Saturday, 5/22, 6:15pm

>>> "Saturday Night Fever", Saturday May 22, 8:40pm

www.loewsjersey.org -- 201-798-6055

Hope you can join us!

Posted on: 2010/5/18 22:37

No "Scarface" @ the Loew's in Journal Square
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed they posted the schedule of movies for their '80s weekend, but I also noticed this:

A message for our patrons:
There has been a change in our schedule of films celebrating the 1980s, and as a result, the movie "Scarface" is no longer part of the line-up.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The posted schedule isn't bad though:

Fri, Jun 4, 2010
8:00 pm Raging Bull
Sat, Jun 5, 2010
6:00 pm Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Sat, Jun 5, 2010
8:15 pm Blues Brothers

(I was hoping for a more "80s" movie--Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Goonies, Lost Boys? SOMETHING with a Corey )

Posted on: 2010/5/15 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
wow....three great selections. Looking forward to seeing BS and Taxi.....SNF maybe.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 20:56
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
Blazing Saddles was the first R rated movie I saw and on May 22 it will be the first my son sees. Thank you LOEWS!
Me love Mongo

Posted on: 2010/5/4 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
For those who have seen LOEW'S recently, is it as good a restoration as the Stanley? They did a beautiful job (but then religions always have DEEP pockets.)

I hope they play a bit on the new old MORTON organ.

It's gorgeous, but still has a ways to go. It's currently got kind of a Grey Gardens, faded grandeur thing going on. I love it.

And the show always starts with a rousing number on the organ.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I'm going to do the Blazing Saddles. I look forward to seeing the place redone. I saw it only ONCE (like early 1970's) before it was mangled...breathtaking but shabby from ahalf century of wear, and once after it was chopped into segments and separated with cheesy DRYWALL.
That second viewing was enought to make one cry...as ugly as you mangle a building without actually using a wrecking ball.

For those who have seen LOEW'S recently, is it as good a restoration as the Stanley? They did a beautiful job (but then religions always have DEEP pockets.)

I hope they play a bit on the new old MORTON organ.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 16:16

The '70s on the Big Screen @ the Loew's in Journal Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/24 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
The '70s On The Big Screen At The Landmark Loew?s Jersey Theatre

A Not-For-Profit Arts Center in a Historic Movie Palace 54 Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ 07306

email: loewsjersey@gmail.com tel: 201-798-6055 web: www.loewsjersey.org

As the Loew's Jersey continues to celebrate its 80th Anniversary Year, we present three landmark films of the 1970s

All in 35mm

*TAXI DRIVER -- Friday, May 21 8PM
*BLAZING SADDLES -- Saturday, May 22 6:15PM
*SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER -- Saturday, May 22 8:40PM
Combo discounts available
for multiple film screenings

-->Friday, May 21, 8pm
-->"Taxi Driver"
Starring Robert De Niro, Cybill Shepherd, Jodie Foster, Peter Boyle, Albert Brooks, Harvey Keitel.
Directed by Martin Scorsese. Score by Bernard Herrmann. (1976, 113mins, Color)

$6 for adults; $4 for seniors (65+) and children (12 & younger)

"I'm God's lonely man," says Travis Bickle, played by Robert De Niro in one of his finest and most memorable performances. He?s an insomniac, ex-Marine and chronic loner who, even when he tries, can?t seem to relate to the world around him. He drives a cab at night in the decaying New York City of the mid-1970s, which director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter Paul Schrader depict as a grimly stylized hell on Earth, where noise, filth, directionless rage, and dirty sex (both morally and literally) surround him at all turns. Lost in this toxic milieu, chronically isolated and potentially volatile, Bickle is a bomb waiting to explode, like the proverbial gun which, when produced in the first act, must go off in the third.

After an encounter with a malevolent fare (played by Scorsese), the increasingly paranoid Bickle begins to condition (and arm) himself for his imagined destiny, a mission that mutates from assassinating a Presidential candidate to violently "saving" a teenage hooker (played by Jodie Foster) from her pimp. De Niro's masterful performance brings Travis vividly to life; Scorsese's dynamic, idiosyncratic visual storytelling (given an invaluable assist by cinematographer Michael Chapman) provides the perfect narrative context; and Bernard Herrmann's eerie final score (finished the day he died) provides perfect punctuation.

The work is a timeless, noir-ishly dystopian rumination on the mythology of American heroism that emphasizes the myth?s sometimes obsessively violent underpinnings. But "Taxi Driver" is also very much a distillation of the fears and fixations of its time. Released in the Bicentennial year, after the socially turbulent years of the late 1960s and early ?70s, Vietnam, Watergate, and attention-getting attempts on President Gerald Ford's life, Taxi Driver's intense portrait of a man and a society unhinged spoke resonantly to audiences of its era. It remains a striking milestone of both Scorsese's career and 1970s Hollywood.

---> Saturday, May 22 6:15PM
---> "Blazing Saddles"
Starring Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman, Mel Brooks. Written & Directed by Mel Brooks. (1974, 93mins, Color)

"Blazing Saddles" is vulgar, crude and sometimes scandalous ? and is one of the funniest and most successful film spoofs of all time. It is also writer-director Mel Brooks at his ribald best, with further outrageous hilarity added in by co-writer Richard Pryor. Cleavon Little plays the first African-American sheriff of a stunned Western town scheduled for demolition by an encroaching railroad. If that plot sounds, at least in part, like a through-back to the movies of an earlier time, it?s because Brooks was, in his own manic, Borscht Belt way, a central figure in revising classic film genres to reflect 1970s? values and attitudes ? an effort more often associates with such directors as Robert Altman and Peter Bogdanovich.

"Blazing Saddles" is a work that truly could have only been made in the ?70s ? the idiom of the classic American western hijacked into an over-the-top comedy that purposely and relentlessly shredded the popular conception of ?good taste? while making merciless fun of EVERYONE, regardless of skin color or religious persuasion. If blacks came off as stereotypical, whites were shown as just plain stupid and ignorant. The result was one of the funniest films of all time ? which, ironically, could probably not be made today in our more politically correct, up-tight time. Beyond its over-the-top humor, "Blazing Saddles" boasts some great performances: Little and Gene Wilder have great chemistry; Madeline Kahn is wonderful as a chanteuse modeled on Marlene Dietrich; and Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman and even Brooks himself turn in great supporting roles.

--> Saturday, May 22 8:40PM
--> "Saturday Night Fever"
Starring John Travolta, Karen Gorney, Barry Miller, Joseph Cali, Paul Pope. (1977, 119mins, Color)

From the moment John Travolta sauntered down a Brooklyn street to the Bee Gees? "Stayin' Alive" at the beginning of "Saturday Night Fever", music, movies and all of pop culture were irrevocably changed, and the 1970s gained what is perhaps the decade's single most recognizable celluloid imagery. Travolta plays Tony Manero, a Brooklyn paint-store clerk who?s trapped in a dead-end existence ? except at night on the disco dance floor, where, when he struts his stuff amidst flashing lights and sweaty, undulating bodies, he?s a king. Part of the film?s success owes to how astutely it balanced a gritty sense of 1970s economic and social malaise with galvanizing dance numbers. But of course, the hallmark of the film is Travolata?s star-making performance ? especially the scenes in his iconic white suite ? and the Bee Gee?s soundtrack.

During the first half of 1978, the movie's disco songs saturated the singles charts, occupying up to four positions at a time, prompting more and more people to see the movie -- just as, in turn, the movie's vast popularity prompted more and more record sales. This powerful marketing synergy between movies and music set a new standard, with the film eventually grossing over $100 million and the soundtrack becoming one of the best selling albums of all time.

For many young people at the time, the movie marked their generation's coming of age and was an indelible movie-going experience. By any measure, "Saturday Night Fever" is the definitive evocation of the Disco Era, and affirmation of Disco's dominance (however brief) of the pop culture scene.

***Combo discounts available for multiple film screenings

All Tickets available at the Box Office (Cash Only)

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017