Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Goodbye and Good Riddance New Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
HELLO JERSEY CITY!

We close on our place tomorrow. so pfffft brooklyn newbie.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Vigilante wrote: Quote:
DragonXJC wrote: Moral of the story: Stop being a softy, this is a CITY. It is not the end of the world, move on. LOL@ explaining karma when someone is trying to park.

And to the OP, thank you for leaving. I hope your post convinces many more yuppies and hipster douchebags to leave JC.
Wow, your street cred is going through the roof! Not really.
Yeah, no kidding. What the hell is his problem? Dragon: get over it. No small business in this town agrees with you. Most landlords and homeowners disagree, too. The city disagrees, too. They want ratables. Hell, even kids on a paper route disagree with you.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:
DragonXJC wrote: Quote:
gumbo wrote: on a related note, has anyone noticed an uptick in rude behavior of late? maybe it's because i'm a new parent and am just paying more attention, but the other day in the downtown area experienced back to back to back examples of ridiculously asinine and uncouth behavior. viz, the parking spot i was waiting for was 'stolen' by another car. the driver just casually looked at me as i explained i'd been waiting, and then rolled up his tinted windows and sat there until i got tired of telling him how much bad karma he was incurring. later in the day, walked to the bagel store and witnessed a near collision on columbus/jersey, as the passenger of the offending car (who was simply asking to be t-boned) lazily gave the finger to the car that managed to slam on the brakes and prevent the crash, and then sped away. then, while walking in vvp and passing the dog run, witnessed a dog attack another dog while the 'innocent' dog's owner tried frantically to get her dog away and the 'aggressive' dog's owner sat on a bench for several seconds just shouting at his dog (finally got up and walked over). the absence of civility is just ridiculous. the counter-point to the above is that the volunteers in vvp and parkman did (as always) an AWESOME job yesterday, and reminded me that there are plenty of generous folk in the area. thank you!

Are you a female? Because I think I just did this to someone, maybe not you.

I was looking for parking around Nha Trang, finally found one, I see no one waiting for it. There was a car on the corner, 4-5 cars away with no warning or signal lights on, seemingly turning onto Newark Ave.

I park, the same car rolls back and the driver tells me "I was waiting for that spot, didn't you see me?!"

I ask her, "what were you doing all the way up there? "

She replies "that's my spot"

I say, "you had no signals, you were 5 cars away, and this is Jersey City, learn how to drive more aggressively."

She huffed and puffed away........right before I offered her the spot back. Rolled up my tinted windows and went inside for some spring rolls and pho. Yum.

Moral of the story: Stop being a softy, this is a CITY. It is not the end of the world, move on. LOL@ explaining karma when someone is trying to park.

And to the OP, thank you for leaving. I hope your post convinces many more yuppies and hipster douchebags to leave JC.
Wow, your street cred is going through the roof! Not really.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 2:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
DragonXJC wrote: br />
Moral of the story: Stop being a softy, this is a CITY. It is not the end of the world, move on. LOL@ explaining karma when someone is trying to park.

agreed. did u see what these bananaheads are doing to jcpd? they're taking pics of them while theyre doing surveillance in empty lots, thinking theyre sleeping or trying to get out of work. terrible.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 20:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
gumbo wrote: on a related note, has anyone noticed an uptick in rude behavior of late? maybe it's because i'm a new parent and am just paying more attention, but the other day in the downtown area experienced back to back to back examples of ridiculously asinine and uncouth behavior. viz, the parking spot i was waiting for was 'stolen' by another car. the driver just casually looked at me as i explained i'd been waiting, and then rolled up his tinted windows and sat there until i got tired of telling him how much bad karma he was incurring. later in the day, walked to the bagel store and witnessed a near collision on columbus/jersey, as the passenger of the offending car (who was simply asking to be t-boned) lazily gave the finger to the car that managed to slam on the brakes and prevent the crash, and then sped away. then, while walking in vvp and passing the dog run, witnessed a dog attack another dog while the 'innocent' dog's owner tried frantically to get her dog away and the 'aggressive' dog's owner sat on a bench for several seconds just shouting at his dog (finally got up and walked over). the absence of civility is just ridiculous. the counter-point to the above is that the volunteers in vvp and parkman did (as always) an AWESOME job yesterday, and reminded me that there are plenty of generous folk in the area. thank you!

Are you a female? Because I think I just did this to someone, maybe not you.

I was looking for parking around Nha Trang, finally found one, I see no one waiting for it. There was a car on the corner, 4-5 cars away with no warning or signal lights on, seemingly turning onto Newark Ave.

I park, the same car rolls back and the driver tells me "I was waiting for that spot, didn't you see me?!"

I ask her, "what were you doing all the way up there? "

She replies "that's my spot"

I say, "you had no signals, you were 5 cars away, and this is Jersey City, learn how to drive more aggressively."

She huffed and puffed away........right before I offered her the spot back. Rolled up my tinted windows and went inside for some spring rolls and pho. Yum.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GnomeGeneral wrote: Originally? From Ukraine, Newark, Maplewood, Bedminster...then JC. Like you, got to move around a lot. There are a lot of things that are pretty sweet about JC, but the negatives by far outweighed them for me personally. The reason I lurk threads like this one, is because I get a refreshing reminder of the reasons I left. As time passes, I tend to remember the good things and forget the bad ones. Reading this stuff periodically refreshes my memory and serves as a reinforcement that I'm in the right place.
Dr. John ~ Right Place , Wrong Time

Posted on: 2010/5/3 21:58
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

What I don't get is why those like yourself continue to post on topic boards that no longer relate to where you moved. It seems that many who move have so little connection to where they moved that the cycle of why they left here will just repeat itself, though differently. I don't know if you originally moved to JC from the burbs, small towns in middle America or wherever but I'd suggest you get a life in your new abode and move on, not keep obsessing on slamming JC.

Just my opinion.

Originally? From Ukraine, Newark, Maplewood, Bedminster...then JC. Like you, got to move around a lot. There are a lot of things that are pretty sweet about JC, but the negatives by far outweighed them for me personally. The reason I lurk threads like this one, is because I get a refreshing reminder of the reasons I left. As time passes, I tend to remember the good things and forget the bad ones. Reading this stuff periodically refreshes my memory and serves as a reinforcement that I'm in the right place.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brooklyn wrote:
Its been a great few of years here in Jersey (5yrs) total but I will gladly be heading back home to Brooklyn in a few months. Sold my place and bought a larger place in Propsect Heights. Great neighborhood with a multitude of great restaurants, Prospect Park 9 blocks away (which has plenty of shade trees), beautiful brownstones for blocks and blocks that Downtown JC cant even hold a match to.
My taxes here in JC for an 850sf 1 bed, 1bath are almost 5K a year, (ridiculous), my new abated taxes in BK will be $17 per month for 25 years. NY does abatements the way abatements should be done, not this stupid ass payment in lieu taxes crap which are property taxes by another name. So HAPPY, will never, ever, ever return to NJ to live.

dude.

the "good riddance" attitude is in every word you write. then later in the thread you give a half-hearted "goodbye and goodluck." ok, fine. you too.

so:

either work on your communications skills (it's bad practice to piss where other people are standing) or decide what you're communicating up front (are you telling us to bugger off, or not?).

personally, i don't care what you're actually communicating because you've poisoned the well.

i'm also not offended that you see problems in this town. i see them too. but I and most of the people on this board and the people in this town are bold enough to discuss the problems openly and sometimes without the sniping anonymity you cling to.

good luck on long island.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 8:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Could we maybe move this entire thread to the 'not JC' topic area given the ironic interest in JC by those past and soon-to-be-past residents...

Posted on: 2010/5/2 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gumbo wrote:
on a related note, has anyone noticed an uptick in rude behavior of late? maybe it's because i'm a new parent and am just paying more attention, but the other day in the downtown area experienced back to back to back examples of ridiculously asinine and uncouth behavior.
[...]
the absence of civility is just ridiculous.

the counter-point to the above is that the volunteers in vvp and parkman did (as always) an AWESOME job yesterday, and reminded me that there are plenty of generous folk in the area. thank you!

Full moon perhaps?

Posted on: 2010/5/2 20:39
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
For some, moving is the best alternative for the homicides and the rudeness of JC. I'm so glad I'm out, especially now that spring is here. My little corner of the world in Somerset Cty is so much more pleasant. And in case I need a good jolt of edginess in my life, I'll know where to find you JC. For now I'll be sipping some lemonade on my patio and listening to the birdies chirping. (While my car is parked in my own spot and I don't have to fight with some douche with tinted windows over it). I can sleep through the night without being awakened by drunken lucky 7's patrons or cars blasting raggaeton outside of Yulie's place. My planters are beer-bottle-free and no one pees on them!

I've lived in Manhattan(NOHO, SOHO), Brooklyn (Prospect Heights & Park Slope) and Jersey City as well as other parts through the US and I enjoyed each place, the environs and the people. I think if one is pre-disposed to be open to any place and engage the people you meet and get involved in whatever floats your boat, you will always find where you choose to live an enjoyment.

What I don't get is why those like yourself continue to post on topic boards that no longer relate to where you moved. It seems that many who move have so little connection to where they moved that the cycle of why they left here will just repeat itself, though differently. I don't know if you originally moved to JC from the burbs, small towns in middle America or wherever but I'd suggest you get a life in your new abode and move on, not keep obsessing on slamming JC.

Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 20:37
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
I am pretty sure that if you lived in an equivalent neighborhood in BK you would hate it too. Reality is that you are moving from a shitty area in one town to a nicer area in another. It is also fair to say that depending on where you live in JC greatly affects your experience, as it does anywhere.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
For some, moving is the best alternative for the homicides and the rudeness of JC. I'm so glad I'm out, especially now that spring is here. My little corner of the world in Somerset Cty is so much more pleasant. And in case I need a good jolt of edginess in my life, I'll know where to find you JC. For now I'll be sipping some lemonade on my patio and listening to the birdies chirping. (While my car is parked in my own spot and I don't have to fight with some douche with tinted windows over it). I can sleep through the night without being awakened by drunken lucky 7's patrons or cars blasting raggaeton outside of Yulie's place. My planters are beer-bottle-free and no one pees on them!

Posted on: 2010/5/2 17:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gumbo wrote:
on a related note, has anyone noticed an uptick in rude behavior of late? maybe it's because i'm a new parent and am just paying more attention, but the other day in the downtown area experienced back to back to back examples of ridiculously asinine and uncouth behavior.

viz, the parking spot i was waiting for was 'stolen' by another car. the driver just casually looked at me as i explained i'd been waiting, and then rolled up his tinted windows and sat there until i got tired of telling him how much bad karma he was incurring. later in the day, walked to the bagel store and witnessed a near collision on columbus/jersey, as the passenger of the offending car (who was simply asking to be t-boned) lazily gave the finger to the car that managed to slam on the brakes and prevent the crash, and then sped away. then, while walking in vvp and passing the dog run, witnessed a dog attack another dog while the 'innocent' dog's owner tried frantically to get her dog away and the 'aggressive' dog's owner sat on a bench for several seconds just shouting at his dog (finally got up and walked over).

the counter-point to the above is that the volunteers in vvp and parkman did (as always) an AWESOME job yesterday, and reminded me that there are plenty of generous folk in the area. thank you!

Really? This is what has your attention? Need I link to the double-homicide thread, or numerous single-murder threads, etc, etc...? In anything other than a tiny town, you're going to experience rudeness. Sheesh. It's the other stuff you need to worry about.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 16:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/19 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats .. But I am not sure if you know that New York City residents pay a higher state tax and also a City tax... You are going to be paying more in taxes.. Good luck... Jersey City does need new leadership.. Our Murder rates are just as bad as NEWARK'S.. Give Newark alot of credit because they have actually become alot safer than even two years ago... Heally needs to go...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... uced_in_5th_precinct.html

Posted on: 2010/5/2 16:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users

viz, the parking spot i was waiting for was 'stolen' by another car. the driver just casually looked at me as i explained i'd been waiting, and then rolled up his tinted windows and sat there until i got tired of telling him how much bad karma he was incurring. later in the day, walked to the bagel store and witnessed a near collision on columbus/jersey, as the passenger of the offending car (who was simply asking to be t-boned) lazily gave the finger to the car that managed to slam on the brakes and prevent the crash, and then sped away. then, while walking in vvp and passing the dog run, witnessed a dog attack another dog while the 'innocent' dog's owner tried frantically to get her dog away and the 'aggressive' dog's owner sat on a bench for several seconds just shouting at his dog (finally got up and walked over).

Posted on: 2010/5/2 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brooklyn wrote:
PBW, Im not gloating just happy as hell
All the best to you as well. Cheers

And to think, we'll be losing such a valuable voice in the JCList community: You registered last month and have 9 posts... 6 of which are in this topic about how excited you are to leave?

Come on man... just join BrooklynList or whatever the hell they have over there and go away.

But bravo to you - you've gotten quite a few responses trolling (including from me). Well played!

Posted on: 2010/5/2 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/5/2 11:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/5 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
cheers!

Posted on: 2010/5/2 6:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/13 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
SO were you born in BK? Or NY for that matter? And I don't mean Oneonta, NY.....Quote:

brooklyn wrote:
Its been a great few of years here in Jersey (5yrs) total but I will gladly be heading back home to Brooklyn in a few months. .

Posted on: 2010/5/2 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Don't let the door hit you in the ass, toolbox.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
This is most definitely gloating. If you are happy, good, tell your friends. Don't post on a message board devoted to embracing the JC lifestyle, find a BK board to post on instead. You're an idiot standing in a circle of fists for posting this. You must be a dull, lazy person to have lived here for 5 years and not have found enough to stimulate you. As my BK friends always say, it's more fun to talk about living in BK than it actually is to do it.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 23:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 19:09
Group:
Registered Users
congrats!! im thinking about moving back to BK too!! So much better, especially Prospect Heights area.

Quote:

brooklyn wrote:
Its been a great few of years here in Jersey (5yrs) total but I will gladly be heading back home to Brooklyn in a few months. Sold my place and bought a larger place in Propsect Heights. Great neighborhood with a multitude of great restaurants, Prospect Park 9 blocks away (which has plenty of shade trees), beautiful brownstones for blocks and blocks that Downtown JC cant even hold a match to.
My taxes here in JC for an 850sf 1 bed, 1bath are almost 5K a year, (ridiculous), my new abated taxes in BK will be $17 per month for 25 years. NY does abatements the way abatements should be done, not this stupid ass payment in lieu taxes crap which are property taxes by another name. So HAPPY, will never, ever, ever return to NJ to live.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psychobilly999 wrote:
Brooklyn has two things..Hipsters and Mayor Bloomberg, both of which Suck! Not to Mention New York is basically Bankrupt, morally and financially LOL!! So have fun back in NY, Me I.m glad I left!

I think everyone here would gladly take Bloomberg as mayor over Healy. The guy is so freaking rich he works for a dollar a year and doesn't need to take campaign donations, so he's not beholden to any special interests. Granted one could argue that his deep pockets mean he can easily outspend any candidate, and he bullied everyone into lifting term limits. But most New Yorkers aren't complaining because they're basically happy with the way he's run the city. He's pledged not to raise taxes this year and to cut spending - even if that means painful layoffs. Can Healy make that claim? Does Healy even care? Under Bloomberg, the number of bike lanes and pedestrian zones have multiplied. Take a look at midtown/Times Square. Here, JC has this idiotic plan to widen Columbus, increase traffic and make it just plain uglier. When it comes to city government, I'd wager JC is far more bankrupt, morally and financially, than NYC.

But, yeah, Brooklyn does have more annoying hipsters.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 12:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
don't forget, grass is always greener over the septic tank.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 10:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/2 22:01
Group:
Registered Users
"On moving day, don't forget to pack your gloating attitude.

All the best to you".

PBW, Im not gloating just happy as hell
All the best to you as well. Cheers

Posted on: 2010/5/1 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
On moving day, don't forget to pack your gloating attitude.

All the best to you.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 4:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heights..Yes I will only be paying a little over $200 a year in prop taxes!!!
It will be for 25 years. the taxes are structured so that on the 20th year, taxes will start to rise incrementally at a rate of 5% percent per year, until the taxes mature. This works out amazingly for me since I probably will not be there for that long anyhow.
It was a great deal and I worked sooo hard to find it. I will admit however, that I did pay more for my unit than I would have paid in JC for a similar unit, but the services in Prospect Heights and BK as a whole are unmatched.

I will now be able to walk to great restaurants headed by creative chefs. Not to mention that I will have access to cheap but good food. Trader Joes (on Atlantic Ave) is a 15 walk from my new place!!! Countless boutiques. Brooklyn Flea that takes place on weekends. Soul Summit Music Festival in Fort Greene park during the summer months, the list goes on and on.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 3:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Slacky your right....
I'll never ever ever be happy in JERSEY CITY
now I have done something about it
Thank You

Posted on: 2010/5/1 3:46