Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Loud Bang/momentary power loss tonight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
This also happened at the intersection of Grove and Montgomery one night in 2006. My husband was sitting with my brother and a friend at Merchant, and witnessed the actual explosion. I was on my way to meet them and saw the flames come up from the manholes (yes, plural). Fortunately there were no cars above the manhole at the time of the explosion, but it's very disturbing to think that this has happened twice (maybe more?) over the past 4 years.

EDIT: It looks like it happened in 2007 and 2008, too!

WTF is going on? Is the city going to do anything about this?

Quote:

KeyboardJockey wrote:
An underground transformer exploded at Portofino -- a small yet bright fireball came up the grating in the driveway. Power flickered for a second or two.

A low deep sounding explosion followed by everything being lit bright orange. It was quite scary considering I was in my bedroom with the blinds drawn yet the room light up like it was noon!

Posted on: 2010/4/30 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Thanks guys, I was wondering what had caused the interruption. I didn't hear the bang.

Power went off momentarily throughout Newport and it played havoc with my DVR which took 24 hours to reformat itself. Had me nervous thinking I might have lost a lot of planned watching.

Funny, we've gone a LONG, LONG time with never a flicker and now twice in as many months. Presumably all this electrical equipment is pretty new on the waterfront...guess they're using junkier transformers or the infrastructure just isn't keeping up with development?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 13:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
An underground transformer exploded at Portofino -- a small yet bright fireball came up the grating in the driveway. Power flickered for a second or two.

A low deep sounding explosion followed by everything being lit bright orange. It was quite scary considering I was in my bedroom with the blinds drawn yet the room light up like it was noon!

Posted on: 2010/4/28 3:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
JCFD responded and requested PSEG for an underground transformer that was on fire.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 2:09

Loud Bang/momentary power loss tonight

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 13:07
From Waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know what the loud noise was that caused a brief power outage in the waterfront area by Harborside place tonight?

Posted on: 2010/4/28 2:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017