Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
27 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 26

Bike_Lane, more...

Tags: ''  

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: HD Indoor Antenna
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/7 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Over the air HD = Better picture (not compressed like what you get on cable). 720p looks better than what I get from standard DVD's on the projector screen. Dolby 5.1 sound (sound is a big issue for me when it comes to home theater). Unfortunately, the Dolby 5.1 seems to be used most aggressively on the commercials (have to keep the volume control handy or we get blasted by sound during commercial breaks).

Next year I think I am going to mount a large antenna on the roof. I notice there are issue with reception that seem more a product of the antenna's direction and not signal strength. I have been told that the outdoor antennas offer a vast improvement.

I use Netflix for movies. Their on demand service though gives you fuzzy pictures and no Dolby sound. If you want to watch a new release, go Blu ray disk and avoid using on demand.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 14:28

HD Indoor Antenna
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on the verge of cutting the cable cord by replacing cable tv with a combination of Apple TV and an HD antenna. I have already purchased and installed Apple TV which is awesome and just yesterday installed an RCA 1080 HD Antenna. The HD antenna seems pretty good so far, but I had to move the antenna and reprogram it a little for the most channel viewing.

If any of you have any experience with indoor HD antennas and insights in your effort to Cut The Cord, please share them.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:14

Re: HDTV over the air reception
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
G-P, Roku looks interesting, in fact it looks like the future of TV, but it doesn't have enough that interests me yet to add yet another device to the crowded AV cabinet. Most of what I saw that I liked was audio content that I already get by podcast,and they don't seem to have standard Hulu, just premium. Hulu's business plan is also unstable, they've already lost content feeds ...

By Julianne Pepitone, staff reporterNovember 11, 2010: 10:10 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Hulu now reaches 30 million views a month, and Zynga's games draw a bigger daily audience than the New York Times. At a pair of rival conferences in New York and San Francisco this week, tech and media executives gathered to hash out the implications of those new realities. Hulu's growth rocket: Tech blog GigaOm kicked off its New TeeVee Live conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. In his keynote speech, Hulu CEO Jason Kilar spilled new stats on the video streaming service. Hulu is expecting $240 million in revenue for 2010 -- a huge jump from the $108 million it took in last year and the $25 million it generated in 2008.

Much of that revenue comes from advertising. Kilar cited a Nielsen study showing that ads on Hulu are 55% more effective than those on traditional platforms like cable and broadcast. Hulu's success has spawned rumors that the company may be looking to go public, but Kilar would not comment on the prospect of an IPO.

Zynga rules social gaming: Game developer Zynga wasn't at the Digital Hollywood conference in New York, but the company still overtook a panel discussion about the social gaming arena. "Zynga has gotten so big that it's basically a media company that happens to have games," said Alex Rampell, chief executive of online payment platform TrialPay.
0:00 /2:41Zynga CEO names top 3 tech companies
Zynga, whose games include FarmVille, FishVille and Mafia Wars, grew huge thanks in part to infamously spammy tactics. The company once piled users' Facebook pages with a constant barrage of game notifications, which helped it lure in more players.

Facebook has since curtailed such methods, but Zynga's head start made it difficult for other developers to catch up.
"It's not about the game itself -- you can buy a Farmville clone for $2,000 from China," said Mike Lu, director of product at game maker RockYou. "But Zynga has so many users that they have a huge platform to advertise to specifically."

The panelists agreed that 99 cents seems to be the sweet spot for mobile games, although there may be some room for a higher price point on tablet apps.

Old media, meet new tech: A separate panel on focused on the best ways to bring magazine and newspaper content to devices like smartphones and tablets. Zynga came up yet again.

"Zynga touches more people every day than the New York Times," said Kenny Miller, founder of creative consultant firm theKMco. "Not to make a judgment, but it's just a fact. So what do we do with those kinds of facts?"

Advertisers are still figuring out the answer to that question, said Audrey Siegel, co-founder of communications company TargetCast: "Individual magazine publishers can tell us people spent X minutes reading an issue on their tablet, but that doesn't tell us much." "We need time to absorb all this data as these devices become more of a habit," she added. "As an advertiser, I can't buy ads based on data I can't measure and replicate myself."

The panelists mostly reacted angrily when an audience member questioned the ability of traditional media to make a smooth, profitable transition to an ever-changing digital world.
"TV didn't replace radio, and digital's not going to replace media that came before," Siegel said. "But things will change."

Lincoln Millstein, an exec at the digital section of Hearst Magazines, went even further: "The tablet is the best thing to come along for advertising since the television."

-- CNNMoney executive video producer Caleb Silver contributed to this report.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/11/10/techn ... gital_hollywood/index.htm

Posted on: 2010/11/11 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/9 14:15
Group:
Registered Users
If you have s a Roku Box for Netflix -- now you can get a youtube channel added free -- it is still in development but works great -- there is also some other great channels by the same guy (and don't miss all the university lecture channels as well...)

You just need to input the code B8VVK at this link below: https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/

Read more here:

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

Posted on: 2010/11/10 1:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:47
Group:
Banned
I never had cable. I refuse to fork over $100/month to these jokers. If anyone needs a good OTA HD indoor antenna, they should get the Silver Sensor from Phillips. Silver Sensor was a go-to antenna in the early years of OTA HDTV (15 years ago now?), and I still use it. Small size and small footprint. Indoor only, though.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, really you should check out the wireless $59 Roku HD boxes -- they already have much more than just the Netflix channel and it grows weekly:

http://www.roku.com/

These cheap boxes are right now adding the FREE HULU channel -- and they already have lots of other FREE channels like CNN, Chow, every radio station on earth, all podcasts, Pandora -- and they even have many international TV news channels in English --( DW, BBC,France24,etc...)

Check out all the FREE channels at these links....

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store
http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#4
http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#3
http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#2
http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#5

These boxes will work free of any added charges at your kid's dorm, parents or in-laws homes -- all under your one paid Netflix plan. Great as gifts!

I'd get one even without paying Netflix!

Back to your DVR question -- my lifetime Tivo DVR box easily controls my new (government issued) digital OTA box -- you could also use any old school Replaytv lifetime DVR box will also do it (the Panasonic "Showstoppers" are very cheap on ebay) but with replaytv you might need a phone line - not sure ( but no phone needed with my wireless USB Tivo Series 2)

This all streams really well on the bottom line $19.99 per month "Dry loop DSL" (no land line phone service) from Verizon!

I really just need a better antenna ( I just set this up yesterday for the first time -- I am right now using an old amplified Radio Shack crappy antenna from a flea market -- it keeps needing to be moved about.

I did just order a Terk HD-TVa from the advice I got here and all the glowing reviews on Amazon! (THANKS!)

But time will tell -- if nothing else I'll put one up on my chimney if needed - HAHA, back to the future!
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/11/9 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just ordered one off ebay -- but I got to thinking -- you live in the Heights (top of the palisades)-- I live Downtown (bottom of the palisades)

Anyone Downtown get PBS 50-58?

With this Terk HD-TVa antenna will I need to ever move it, or will it just work?

Quote:

sepecat wrote:
You need a amplified Antenna for better signal quality.. Target sells one for 20, but with that one you’ll need to move it around to get a particular channel.. That’s why I went with the Terk Antenna, posted up the thread, but here you go again. http://www.buy.com/prod/audiovox-ampl ... d/q/loc/101/90144642.html

Both 50-58 are the same channel.. And we get it.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
You need a amplified Antenna for better signal quality.. Target sells one for 20, but with that one you’ll need to move it around to get a particular channel.. That’s why I went with the Terk Antenna, posted up the thread, but here you go again. http://www.buy.com/prod/audiovox-ampl ... d/q/loc/101/90144642.html

Both 50-58 are the same channel.. And we get it.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So we like PBS -- I know channel 13 (13.1 digital) WNET comes in great, but does anyone get WNJN (50.1) PBS out of MONTCLAIR? www.antennaweb.org says it is a red zone and at a Compass heading of 334° --- yeah, whatever that means! LOL

How about WNJB (58.1 PBS) NEW BRUNSWICK -- Compass heading 69° --- or WLIW?

We now use a Tivo to record OTA shows and mostly watch Netflix DVDs or streaming stuff on a roku box -- there is also a lot free stuff on computers and HULU will be added to the roku box later this month -- there's even www.tvduck.com -- which seems like it might/should/could be illegal... haha

As far as the OTA channels go, the "THIS" movie channel is pretty cool -- and for those who don't know what "This" is -- well it is not an Abbott & Costello routine.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
One of the silliest but best things about FIOS is the channel numbering. All analog channels are just +500 for the HD version. so, CBS is 502, PBS 513 and so on. No exceptions unless there isn't an HD version.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 18:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/21 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Downtown and I use a homemade antenna made with dry cleaning hangers and I get perfect OTA signal. In many cases, OTA HD is superior to that provided by cable and satellite providers for one of two reasons:

1) Compression used by many providers is above the broadcast encoding, leading to macro blocking in fast paced scenes.

2) Many set-top boxes required by cable and satellite providers will send all signals to the television in 720p or 1080i rather than the native resolution being broadcast. If a signal is 1080i and being down-sampled to 720p, you are losing visual fidelity. A 1080P capable television will reverse telecine a 1080i60 signal and represent it as 1080P30, whereas a 720P60 signal sent from a set-top box will be duplicated down sampled frames.

Oh, and if you thought I was kidding about my antenna, this may be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

It truly does deliver a better signal strength than my previous antenna, a powered "HD" one purchased for $30 from radio shack.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 0:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/14 21:25
Group:
Registered Users
i'm near hamilton park. reception and picture are good. sometimes have to move or adjust antenna. helicopters mess up reception for a few seconds.
like the previous poster said i get about 20-25 channels -- the basics: cbs, nbc, fox, abc, wwor, wpix, wnet, wnjn; and some others that i don't watch.
i ditched satellite 2 years ago.
use this interior antenna in a row house. higher floor u go, the better.
http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified- ... a-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2

Posted on: 2010/4/15 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 13:13
Group:
Registered Users
Not spoiling for a fight. I work in the industry and I know what I'm talking about. I happen to supervise the production of one of the most watched HD TV shows in the country, typically in the top 10 each week. All the major stations in just about every market in the country broadcast their primary channels in HD, either 1080i or 720p which are considered HD. As far as I know, no cable network broadcasts in 1080p, that is currently only available on some Bluray Discs and from some gaming consoles. 1080i and 720p are the two HDTV broadcast standards and they are indeed available over the air, contrary to your original statement. You are correct when you state that some of broadcast TV is upconverted, and when you say that most people confuse Digital and HD.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/14 5:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

Ethan, absolutely WRONG... All the major channels that are broadcasting over the air in NYC are airing at least 1 HD channel. WCBS broadcasts ONLY HD over the air. WNBC, WNYW, WOR, WPIX and WNET all broadcast 1 HD and one or more Standard Def sub-channels and WABC broadcasts 2 HD channels.

It's more complicated than that, as you may or may not know. Stations that advertise over-the-air HDTV don't broadcast all programming in HDTV, but a selection. No over-the-air HDTV is 1080p, which is the best quality, but is either 720p or 1080i. So it's lower quality than you'd get with cable, satellite, or Blu-ray HDTV.

Certainly, you understood the point of my note (and were just spoiling for a fight): that people confuse digital broadcast with HDTV broadcast, and think that all over-the-air TV is now HDTV. It's not.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I use this at home and no complaints so far...

http://www.buy.com/prod/audiovox-ampl ... d/q/loc/101/90144642.html

Posted on: 2010/4/15 1:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
We ditched comcast triple play (kept internet) and are quite happy with the OTA signal (VVP area)--high quality for the major networks and little to no interference/noise. we have southern exposure and not a lot of tall buildings south of us. saving over $100/month and quite pleased.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 13:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
FYI, over-the-air TV signals are now digital, but not HDTV.

Ethan, absolutely WRONG... All the major channels that are broadcasting over the air in NYC are airing at least 1 HD channel. WCBS broadcasts ONLY HD over the air. WNBC, WNYW, WOR, WPIX and WNET all broadcast 1 HD and one or more Standard Def sub-channels and WABC broadcasts 2 HD channels.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
11/14 5:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Snapple wrote:
Does anyone here use an antennas for their HDTV signals? If so, how is the quality? From what I've seen, some people don't get a really strong signal and that causes the picture to freeze up frequently. Is that the case here in JC, or is it strong enough where it's as reliable as the signal from Comcast (no pixelating, no freezing, etc)?

FYI, over-the-air TV signals are now digital, but not HDTV.

It's normal to have to use a separately powered digital antenna to get better digital TV reception. Point it out a window.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I live on the parlor level pof a brownstone in downtown. Our reception varies. Weather and airplanes definitely cause freezes and the dreaded "no signal" interference. CBS comes in well, NBC is pretty unreliable. PBS used to be good but lately has been bad. All in it's quite frustrating. When it works it's great, but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to watch The Office...

Posted on: 2010/4/15 0:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 21:01
Group:
Registered Users
I live on the water in Newport. My over the air reception is flawless using a short piece of cable wire connected to my hdtv. I have line of sight to the Empire State and NY Times Buildings though.

Cable is great for their channels, especially if you are a sports fan, and, "on demand" programming. Hulu is great too as a substitute for non HD on demand programing.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 21:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/16 13:05
Group:
Registered Users
Over the air HDTV definitely works in Jersey City. I live near Journal Square and use a powered indoor antenna I got at Target for $35 and I get fantastic reception.

(It does help that I'm on the 4th floor and have an eastward-facing window for the antenna)

But give it a try, it works great and it has saved me approximately $1000/year I was giving comcast.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
9/27 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
Before I lost my virginity to Comcast, I was using an old TV antenna from a boob tube and it worked fine. Every once and a while it would get some pixel blur, usually when i walked passed to TV. Otherwise, the picture quality as far as sharpness is the same as it is with the Comcast HD service. But what do I know, I'm the guy that drives a classic muscle car to get gas & groceries on nice weekends (wink, wink Chop'...)

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
I use an over-the-air antenna on my 42" HDTV
(I understand the sports car analogy, but I used to have cable + DVR and not only was it expensive, but I ended up watching too much TV, there are better things to do! And most of the programming on cable is garbage anyway). I'm on the 2nd floor of an all-brick building.

I have an antenna that has a signal booster (the antenna plugs into the wall and has a gain knob for adjustment) which cost about $30.

I get about 30 channels, of which about 10 are worth watching. There's a lot of useless (to me) stuff like Spanish-language channels and a real-time feed of NYC traffic, one or two dedicated weather channels, etc. I also get ION, IONlife, Universal Sports, NBC-Nonstop (NBC's NYC-focused channel). You can find the complete listing at http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/ and when it asks for your location, select NYC > "New York City Area Broadcast". A lot of the channels at 40.1 and higher come in very poorly, and some are audio-only radio broadcasts.

Of the channels that I watch, most come in well enough to serve my purpose. Depending on the adjustment of the antenna and the whims of the reception-gods, some channels come in flawlessly for hours on end, and at other times the picture and audio flicker occasionally or sometimes flicker to the point of unwatchability, and sometimes a channel will completely cut out. 90% of the time the reception is good enough to watch comfortably, and when the reception is good, the picture quality is crystal-clear HD, you wouldn't know it wasn't cable.

Another plus is that there are duplicate feeds of a couple channels (Fox) so if the reception starts to get wonky on one, I just switch to the other.

The only thing I miss about cable is the sports (ESPN etc) and I can watch the occasion game at a sports bar and it still costs less than cable. And almost everything else can be watched online.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Check out the CEA/NAB site for a listing of the channels you should be able to receive from your address:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

It's pretty accurate. I'm in a high rise and can pick up a ton of channels with an antenna -- including ones I *don't* get through my cable connection.

Sometimes it takes a while for them to load, but I'm using a little USB TV tuner card on my netbook so I'm not sure if that's the fault of the signal or the software.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

porkchopsoda wrote:
Quote:

Snapple wrote:
Does anyone here use an antennas for their HDTV signals? If so, how is the quality? From what I've seen, some people don't get a really strong signal and that causes the picture to freeze up frequently. Is that the case here in JC, or is it strong enough where it's as reliable as the signal from Comcast (no pixelating, no freezing, etc)?

Using an aerial antenna to watch TV channels on an HDTV is like only ever using your new sports car to travel 3 blocks to pick up groceries in the city and returning home again.

If you have a wired cable connection and there is a signal problem, then the cable company may need to come out the address it and should not charge for it.

If its a satellite dish, then check the dish may to be re-pointed or moved.

Always check the internal connections first for snugness.

You can watch the local channels in HD for free simply by using an aerial antenna or even a coat hanger. The picture is just as good as from a cable box of from a dish. I have not done this in JC however.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 18:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/25 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Snapple wrote:

Using an aerial antenna to watch TV channels on an HDTV is like only ever using your new sports car to travel 3 blocks to pick up groceries in the city and returning home again.

If you have a wired cable connection and there is a signal problem, then the cable company may need to come out the address it and should not charge for it.

If its a satellite dish, then check the dish may to be re-pointed or moved.

Always check the internal connections first for snugness.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 18:53

HDTV over the air reception
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/13 3:14
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/14 18:22

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017