Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Downtown: Man stabbed and robbed on First and Brunswick going to bar
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The only thing worse then a thug in a hipster/yuppie bar (how dare they!) is a poster who over quotes.

I can?t take the box.. within a box.. within a box.. within a box. Get to the point! Cut and paste people!

Have a great JC weekend.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
I'm surprised to see the Barge Inn mentioned here. I'm old enough and well traveled enough to know a legendary bar, and the Barge certainly qualifies. From its its owner, John, to its uncontrived decor, this is a place that is a living museum and a treasure of authentic JC history and culture.

Thanks for this account of the Barge Inn, it sounds interesting, i will be sure to stop in for a couple and check it out.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't know, Tommy. I haven't been to either, but it seemed like the topic had veered off to discussing the class of patrons, and I recall reading a lot of anecdotes about public urination/vomiting and holla behavior in and around the Beer Garden, which didn't strike me as classy.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
Go read the Beer Garden thread on this site. It contains hundreds of postings by a variety of people and is more representative of what goes on there than the opinion of someone who has been there every couple of months. What is that---4 or 5 times since it opened?

Well, I live in the neighborhood. I have never heard a gunshot outside of the Beer Garden, and I have never heard or seen somebody getting stabbed outside of the beer garden.

In your honest opinion Petey, where are you most likely to be a victim of violent crime? If you spent a night at Latin Lounge/Indio's, or the Beer Garden?

(violent crime is what we are talking about here)

Posted on: 2010/4/9 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Go read the Beer Garden thread on this site. It contains hundreds of postings by a variety of people and is more representative of what goes on there than the opinion of someone who has been there every couple of months. What is that---4 or 5 times since it opened?

Posted on: 2010/4/9 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Tommyc_37 wrote "Well, going by statistics, 1stStGuy's fear would be legitimate:Black people are 7x more likely to commit a violent crime than white people.Latino people are 3x more likely to commit a violent crime than white people. And for those who cry racism ... White people are 4x more likely to commit a violent crime than Asian people are. I'm a realist."

Sorry to intrude on your reality but those statistics are based on arrests--and guess who the cops target. For instance the majority of drug dealers are white males between the ages of 18-45 but the majority who get arrested for dealing are black and hispanic. That skews the attaistics BIG TIME. Also most white males are not reported for violent crimes against women because those women believe that the system will fail them.

Oh-- and why is it even mentioned that the guy that was stabbed was going to a bar? If he was stabbed in the bar that would be one thing but he was stabbed on his way there. is that another way to issue propaganda about the EVILS of liqour and/or pubs in general?

Posted on: 2010/4/9 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clunkified wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I live very close to the beer garden, and I never hear or see any type of "ruckus" near closing time. It just attracts a higher class of people ...

LOL! FUNNIEST THING I'VE EVER READ ON THIS SITE!

I guess if frat boy douchebags and the women who love them are what we're calling "classy" these days...

I enjoy a few beers at the beer garden maybe every couple of months or so. In my detailed observations (and I am a people watcher), the clientele at the beer garden is pretty diverse - you've got some preppy types, some hipster types, some more urban types, and you generally see people of all colors.

Generally, people seem to conduct themselves pretty appropriately, for a BAR. Are they conducting themselves appropriately for a library - no. But I haven't seen any violence or really any level of ridiculousness there, or around the premises, and I live 2 blocks away. I sometimes hear people walking home and talking somewhat loudly, but this is a city and that is the norm.

The patrons I see at the beer garden seem like normal, professional, educated people, who are not prone to violence - and YES, I consider that to be a "higher class of people" than what you'd see at say, Indio's.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 14:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I live very close to the beer garden, and I never hear or see any type of "ruckus" near closing time. It just attracts a higher class of people ...

LOL! FUNNIEST THING I'VE EVER READ ON THIS SITE!

I guess if frat boy douchebags and the women who love them are what we're calling "high class" these days...

Posted on: 2010/4/8 14:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/24 21:03
Group:
Registered Users
Trash is trash no matter what color or ethnicity. If you are defending a group simply by the color of their skin, that is racism too.

The situation is loud, obnoxious people gather and create problems in the neighborhood - does it matter what color they are??? No, it doesn't. They should be taken care of by the authorities.

Racism goes both ways.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
I'm surprised to see the Barge Inn mentioned here. I'm old enough and well traveled enough to know a legendary bar, and the Barge certainly qualifies. From its its owner, John, to its uncontrived decor, this is a place that is a living museum and a treasure of authentic JC history and culture.

I neither start nor tolerate drunken thuggery - both my wife and I are 40-ish, 9-to-5 professional types - and I can honestly say I've never experienced anything but a warm welcome, and refreshingly original characters, at the Barge. One day it'll be gone and converted to an Einstein Bagels or a Bennigans, and downtown JC will be that much more like Anytown USA: Dayton, Peoria, Tulsa. (Hoboken.) Is that really the goal?

Before you dismiss me as cluelessly effete, I totally respect those who live above the bars mentioned and who have to deal with the noise and ugliness: I have a ton of noise and other issues in my neighborhood, Lafayette. I also had a ton of noise (and vomiting NYU students) in my old neighborhood in the East Village. It's not fun, it's not something you ever really get used to, and after a while you just want everything to be permanently shuttered. But that's no more the sign of a healthy city as is late-night drunken loutishness from its bars.

Is the issue with the Barge really thuggery, or is it a question of too-loud drunks smoking and yelling in the street? There's a difference, of course. I remember a recent night when I tried to make a phone call (from the street) two blocks from Barrow Street Bar; the bar noise was so loud I couldn't hear the person I was calling! If noise, not craziness, is the main issue, we should be talking about a lot of JC establishments, not just Barge.

It's my sincere hope that the Barge and its neighbors will figure this out. JC will be the worse in its absence. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Posted on: 2010/4/8 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Just food for thought. Businesses cater to clientele. They are obviously still above water because of their customers. Only way to change them is to convince them that a different client base would make them more money.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
I love a rowdy bar as much as the next guy, but there's some truth in mentioning those three bars. I've been to all three multiple times. Until the threat exists to remove the liquor license of anyplace that proves to be a hazard (eg, felonies occurring in or spilling out of), there's not much that can be done.

I believe NYC regulates this with community boards. While that may have it's own problems, it's probably the only solution.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 3:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/24 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
You can argue with each other about racism, or other bars, or whatever you want even though it does nothing to change a thing about this bar in particular upsetting those who live near it. (Nor is it actually useful or constructive).

Indio's patrons drunkenly drive back and forth to the location and scream at each other outside. To our knowledge, there has been at least one shooting recently, as well as stabbings and other attempted harmful acts. This disrupts the overall safety and welfare of actual residents in the neighborhood (read: people who actually live in the direct area of this bar). If you think otherwise - you likely don't live near it.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Indio's has white people too. i saw some today screaming like crackheads as i moved my car to the other side of the street. i hate them too. I hate Indio's and the people who go there. They can be purple for all i care if they act like ghetto rats we have a problem.

I don't particularly like the white frat boys who get drunk in the backyard of some 2nd street house and sing 3rd eye blind at 2am but at least they don't cause me problems all the time or leave beer bottles all over the place.. oh yeah and shoot at each other. that is a big problem.

ghetto does not infer any race or ethnicity.. it infers a mentality that annoys the crap out of me. if you act like a ghetto rat you are my sworn enemy.

whoever called this the hood.. have you been here lately? it's not the hood.. it's the city. vast difference.. now if we could just get rid of Indios..

Posted on: 2010/4/8 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
In other words "black and latino people scare me, more so than white people"

You're just a retard trying to stir up trouble. Neither blacks nor hispanics "scare" me. It has to do with the crowd that congregates in the area and causes pollution and trouble for the residents. Not the hispanics, not the blacks, but the PEOPLE that frequent these places is what causes the trouble.

Anyone who tries to imply anything else (and I'm looking right at YOU, Nori and DragonXJC) are just assholes trying to scream that anyone who speaks up against "their" places are racisit. Call me what you will, I don't care. If I hated blacks or hispanics, I certainly wouldn't be afraid to say it. God knows I've never been too shy to voice my opinions before.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aoao wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Some neighbors and I are trying to start a group to really put some pressure on the JCPD brass, as well as Fulop and the City to clean these places up. If you are truly interested in helping out, please let me know.

Places like Indio's, the Latin Lounge, the Music Box Cafe, and the Barge Inn are all trouble spots and contribute nothing positive to the neighborhoods.

sounds like racism... maybe you're just not too "diverse" of a person. or maybe they just don't appear to be predominantly caucasian, like all the other bars.

welcome to the hood 1ststguy! too bad you never said anything about lucky 7s or white star. they have a rowdy/loud crowd there too that pours on to the street. duh. but maybe because that there's all "caucasian" people there and those are the bars you frequent.... what a jerk. leave those bars alone, or those people will go in to your favorite "white" bar and ruin your night.

im assuming you're a lucky 7 kind of guy. beach blanket bingo night is coming up. enjoy, buddy!

I'm one of the first people to call someone on veiled racism, but you're reaching here. There's nothing even hinting at race bias in the original post.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to hear that this man is okay. On another note, I'm with this guy...just saying...

Posted on: 2010/4/7 22:14
I am a rock, I am an Island... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries...Simon & Garfunkle

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a grandpa for stating facts? I wish it was different...then we would perhaps have less stereotypes. Then racism WOULDN'T exist.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 22:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
oh my god. Are we starting this now grandpa tommy?

Posted on: 2010/4/7 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:

Well, going by statistics, 1stStGuy's fear would be legitimate:

Black people are 7x more likely to commit a violent crime than white people.

Latino people are 3x more likely to commit a violent crime than white people.

And for those who cry racism ...

White people are 4x more likely to commit a violent crime than Asian people are.

I'm a realist. Why do people try to hide, sugarcoat, or deny these things, rather than address the problems?

Posted on: 2010/4/7 21:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
bingo!

Posted on: 2010/4/7 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/7 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aoao wrote:
sounds like racism... maybe you're just not too "diverse" of a person. or maybe they just don't appear to be predominantly caucasian, like all the other bars.

welcome to the hood 1ststguy! too bad you never said anything about lucky 7s or white star. they have a rowdy/loud crowd there too that pours on to the street. duh. but maybe because that there's all "caucasian" people there and those are the bars you frequent.... what a jerk. leave those bars alone, or those people will go in to your favorite "white" bar and ruin your night.

im assuming you're a lucky 7 kind of guy. beach blanket bingo night is coming up. enjoy, buddy!

I didn't because they aren't around the corner from my apt, and I'm not woken up from the fighting and the ensuing police presence they bring. Had I been, they would have been included as well.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 20:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

aoao wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Some neighbors and I are trying to start a group to really put some pressure on the JCPD brass, as well as Fulop and the City to clean these places up. If you are truly interested in helping out, please let me know.

Places like Indio's, the Latin Lounge, the Music Box Cafe, and the Barge Inn are all trouble spots and contribute nothing positive to the neighborhoods.

THANK YOU! Although they will fail to admit that this is what they actually mean, I know it and im glad you know it too

C/S

Believe me, if they close down my beloved Marias (New Music bo....whatever that sign says lol). I'm going to your bar with all my "ethnically diverse" boys and taking over your juke box and pool tables. And create "Bachata y Merengue nights"

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
This isn't about race or culture for me. It's about loud, obnoxious, violent people keeping me up at night and effecting the quality of life in my neighborhood.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

aoao wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

Racism? To me, the Latin Lounge in name is racist. If a bar attracts a certain demographic or color of skin, then fine...but to NAME it after that predominant culture is a little "exclusive" of others, isn't it?

aoao - if I opened up a bar and named it "Club Caucasian", you wouldn't call me and my bar racist?

Latin Lounge refers to the music that is played there, as well as the live bands they have... I go there and im clearly not Latin...

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live very close to the beer garden, and I never hear or see any type of "ruckus" near closing time. It just attracts a higher class of people ... whether you like it, or not. Plain and simple. Some things just are, what they are.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aoao wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

THANK YOU! Although they will fail to admit that this is what they actually mean, I know it and im glad you know it too

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walk_Idiot_Walk wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
I Love L.L., I don't know if you ever even been in there, but everytime I go and I have only been 4 or 5 times, they make you feel like family. There is a little old lady that lives upstairs that comes down every night to say hi to the bartenders. It would be worth it to just check it out, I rarely if ever see LL in the newspapers.

You obviously don't live in the neighborhood. Night after night, especially in summertime, the Latin Lounge patrons are screaming and yelling and booming music till 2 or 3 AM. Then they and the Indios cretins pile into the streets to yell and brawl with each other.

No, your right I do not live in the neighborhood... So I would not know, but point well taken. Although I do assume that majority of bars at closing have some sort of ruckus from drunk patrons... right? Like are they gonna shut down the beer garden? no, and one may wonder why.. I won't talk about the elephant in the room

Posted on: 2010/4/7 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aoao wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

Racism? To me, the Latin Lounge in name is racist. If a bar attracts a certain demographic or color of skin, then fine...but to NAME it after that predominant culture is a little "exclusive" of others, isn't it?

aoao - if I opened up a bar and named it "Club Caucasian", you wouldn't call me and my bar racist?

Posted on: 2010/4/7 18:58

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017