Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: Local blogger on search of the perfect slice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Not JC -- but Hoboken has a Grimaldi's ( of Brooklyn) -- which might well be the best pizza around here.

http://www.grimaldis.com

There are lots of threads on here...
click to read this one

Posted on: 2011/4/9 21:25

Local blogger on search of the perfect slice

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/10 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
After months of debate with friends and multiple readings of the pizza thread on JC List, I have decided to take 2 friends on a quest to find the best slice Jersey City has to offer. I'm looking for some suggestions to help navigate my search... and some additional readers wouldn't hurt either.

I started the blog in mid-March due to cabin fever caused by an incredibly fun run with the flu. I comment on the fashion, events, restaurants, bars, and characters found in Jersey City. Cheers for reading.

Check the blog here:
(chow)down - on Search for that Slice

Posted on: 2011/4/9 21:09

Re: Best pizza in JC????
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/17 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
Gino,s on Central Avenue is best. Quality ingreediants and knowledgeable staff.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 17:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Pizza Master in the Heights.

Prince of Pizza in McGinnley Square/JSQ.

Both are amazing. Try the fried eggplant and sausage pie.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 14:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
There used to be a spot that was on the corner of central & Leonard St, right in front of Washington park called new york pizza( i know..smh). They had the best best pizza i have ever eaten in my life and ate there everyday after school. But they closed back in 06, not sure why though. GIno's in the HEights, as well, was good pizza to but now theyre just to expensive and TOOO thin. Theyre pizzas used to be for 1.25 and were delicious, not many pizza places i can give alot of credit too now,

Posted on: 2011/2/6 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to bring up to the top some relevant threads for this glorious Super Bowl Sunday. =)

If your favorite pizza place is mobbed, keep in mind that pizza-making capacity has recently increased in downtown JC:
Victoria's is new and 'Nick's' on Newark near Grove St are nw pizza joints.

Go Steelers!

Posted on: 2011/2/6 16:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Heights: That's not what I said. I implied that we DO have a monopoly over pizza in the metro area due to the strong italian presence. What I said was that Manhattan particularly had lost its Italian population (to Brooklyn, JC, the Suburbs, etc), and people cannot claim Manhattan is the capital of italian cuisine when very few italians live there relative to other parts of the region.

The premise is that I can go to the Village in downtown and get a good pizza because Italians live there. To say that I can't got to the Village (home of the italians) and must go to manhattan (where few italians live) for Italians food is bizarre and a bit insulting.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
It's important to note that Grimaldi's in Hoboken is owned and managed by an Irish immigrant. Still I think it's very good pizza, and by far better than any of the pizza I've had in Jersey City. [quote]
heights wrote:
[quote]

(From WIKI) [Patsy Grimaldi and his business partner, Sean McHugh, opened a second location in Hoboken, New Jersey.]
Interesting, I thought the owner might not be Italian wasn't sure though. La Rustique in Downtown J.C. is also Irish owned. I guess it proves that the recipe doesn't know which hands are sculpturing the masterpiece. I always said that the Italians and the Irish go together like milk & cookies; from the days of Kennedy & Sinatra it's been a love-hate relationship between the two ethnic sects.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
It's important to note that Grimaldi's in Hoboken is owned and managed by an Irish immigrant. Still I think it's very good pizza, and by far better than any of the pizza I've had in Jersey City. Quote:

heights wrote:
[quote]

Your posting seemed to travel from comparing pizza in Jersey City to Manhattan to just discussing the Italians in Nyc; you have somewhat of a point though. Manhattan was the first stop where Italians introduced pizza to the United States starting with Lombardi on Mullberry St. Most of the pizza parlors order their ingredients from Lisanti in Totowa, which seems to be the same supply place for all which results in a similar taste & quality. I do find that the brick oven joints have an edge because of the unique contents of their product. But stating that the Italians do not have a monopoly in Nyc or Jersey City anymore is a bit over the top. If this is the case then nowhere else in the U.S. will there be a monopoly. The N.Y. metropolitan area along with Rhode Island has the most Italians in the U.S.A. You may want to try John's Pizzeria in Downtown J.C. or Grimaldi's in Hoboken before you make any further thought to this delicate subject matter. At least with the brick oven method pizza will still be a nourishing lure.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:
Quote:
I'm generally not thrilled with the pizza around town. While I till think average pizza tastes good, it's hard for me to compare JC pizza to real wood fired pizza spots in across the river (Company, Motorino, etc). To me, the options here are about average for "slices joints", but not much beyond that.

So in a city of a quarter million, hugely impacted by Italian heritage and culture, there's no "comparable" pizza joints to those in Manhattan. I'm surprised that Carmines nor Pizza Masters nor La Rustique can provide a comparable or better alternative.

Italians culture left Manhattan a long time ago; they really don't have a monopoly on "good" pizza anymore. Manhattan has superior Dominican food, Chinese food, and can kick anywhere in America to the curb with the concept of brunch, but Italian, not so much.

Your posting seemed to travel from comparing pizza in Jersey City to Manhattan to just discussing the Italians in Nyc; you have somewhat of a point though. Manhattan was the first stop where Italians introduced pizza to the United States starting with Lombardi's on Mullberry St. Most of the pizza parlors order their ingredients from Lisanti in Totowa, which seems to be the same supply place for all which results in a similar taste & quality. I do find that the brick oven joints have an edge because of the unique contents of their product. But stating that the Italians do not have a monopoly in Nyc or Jersey City anymore is a bit over the top. If this is the case then nowhere else in the U.S. will there be a monopoly. The N.Y. metropolitan area along with Rhode Island has the most Italians in the U.S.A. You may want to try John's Pizzeria in Downtown J.C. or Grimaldi's in Hoboken before you make any further thought to this delicate subject matter. At least with the brick oven method pizza will still be a nourishing lure.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 11:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/19 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
I think Larry and Joe's is the best I have tasted in Jersey City.. I drive out of my way to head their when I want a pie or even just a slice.. They are located on Newark avenue a block away from Dickinson High school.. Don't go on a school day during lunch.. Place is mobbed with loud highschool kids..

Posted on: 2010/4/12 6:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm generally not thrilled with the pizza around town. While I till think average pizza tastes good, it's hard for me to compare JC pizza to real wood fired pizza spots in across the river (Company, Motorino, etc). To me, the options here are about average for "slices joints", but not much beyond that.

So in a city of a quarter million, hugely impacted by Italian heritage and culture, there's no "comparable" pizza joints to those in Manhattan. I'm surprised that Carmines nor Pizza Masters nor La Rustique can provide a comparable or better alternative.

Italians culture left Manhattan a long time ago; they really don't have a monopoly on "good" pizza anymore. Manhattan has superior Dominican food, Chinese food, and can kick anywhere in America to the curb with the concept of brunch, but Italian, not so much.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 13:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/29 11:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/10 13:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/30 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
I had the red and white pizza from PH Brick Oven tonight... I used to be a huge fan, but I feel like it's gone down hill in the past few months. The white pizza was totally dry. Next time I'm ordering from John's.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Where is this Larry & Joe's? How is this the first I've heard of them. I'm gonna give them a try. I've been ordering from Paulus Hook Brick Oven pizza, which is decent.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 1:05

Re: Esperantos Pizza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blackbird wrote:
Does anyone get this pizza? I wanted to like it so badly but the place is mad deprssing. Needs a fresh coat odf paint, some music, and if you wnat toppings they just put canned veggies on top before reheating your pizza... they need to make some FRESH.

I don't knwo how they make their money to pay their rent unless its some kind of money laudndering front for a latvian gang.

I also wish this place was good. I've occasionally gotten a slice there, and I think it's passable (at best) but over the years it's become one of my "walk-by" places (meaning, I walk by and don't even notice -- kind of like Stella's).

I really wish one of the two - Stella's or Esperanto's - was very good. The locations are great.

I have no idea how Esperanto's pays the rent. It is always empty. The place is kind of depressing, indeed. That older guy behind the counter is really depressing ... what a sad sack he is. Doesn't even say anything.

I actually saw that Esperanto's was for sale about a year ago, in one of those real estate flyers. Not sure if they are still looking to sell. I hope so ... and I hope it either becomes a GOOD pizzeria, or some sort of other place. Really, for pizza I'm covered with Buon Appetit for an everyday slice, and PH Brick Oven / La Rustique / La Gargiuolo / and John's for a specialty pie.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 16:35

Re: Esperantos Pizza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It used to be great but then new owners took over. The quality definitely took a nose dive. Too bad-- I considered it one of the best pizza places in JC. Haven't ordered from there in at least 4 years.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 16:30

Esperantos Pizza

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/18 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone get this pizza? I wanted to like it so badly but the place is mad deprssing. Needs a fresh coat odf paint, some music, and if you wnat toppings they just put canned veggies on top before reheating your pizza... they need to make some FRESH.

I don't knwo how they make their money to pay their rent unless its some kind of money laudndering front for a latvian gang.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I hate there some time ago. The owner is Polish ...

A Freudian Slip if ever there was one.!

Posted on: 2010/3/29 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hate there some time ago. The owner is Polish but makes a darn good slice. I believe when he arrived on our shores his first job was making pizza and I guess he stuck with it. The recipe doesn't know who's hands are doing the work.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 2:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/1 23:25
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
wow how did I not know about 4 brothers,Just ate 2 slices they were re heated but they were REALLY GOOD....especially the entire crust....just the right thickness.....also some guy ordered a pie and i seen what a fresh pie looks like and made me want to order a pie asap....which I will......better pizza then prince of pizza.....i'll be sure to visit there again and again.

also the old man and i assume his wife were real friendly he even asked me what 2 slices i want

Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/1 23:25
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
Is 4 brothers pizza on west side ave near PT any good?Never tried it,about to go to walgreens and Im hungry and I dont eat at that checkers anymore. thanks

Posted on: 2010/3/28 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Full confession: I'm a pizzatarian and could eat the stuff 3x/day.

I live right by La Rustique and was ordering from them every Saturday night, without fail. Charlie, the owner, made a great pie and life was good. A few months ago he hired someone to make the pies and another to take phone orders. As other readers have already stated: things went downhill - the sauce was straight from a can, orders were mixed up. I had to break up with La Rustique.

Went back to Carmines - for awhile. I'd order, hang up the phone and "ding-dong", the doorbell would sound with delivery of those pies. Not really sure how they managed it though I suspect that they've outfitted the glove compartments of the delivery fleet with pizza ovens and simply troll around the neighborhood, awaiting an order. They are THAT fast.

At the urging of many here I caved and gave Larry & Joe's a jingle. Grabbed my friend and dove into a large, extra, cheese pie. Monsterously good - the sauce was flavorful, the crust medium thick and the toppings fresh. I'm embarrased for Charlie of La Rustique to see the Larry & Joe's delivery car pulling up but a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do.

I'm with you on that sister. It doesnt get any better than Larry and Joe's for me!!! Till they change or screw it up they are #1 on my Jersey City Pizza list

Posted on: 2010/3/21 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
I've only casually followed this thread, so I may be wrong -- but I'm kinda stunned that John's on Sussex doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. Cheesy atmosphere; stratospheric pizza.

(Not everyone has my taste, I realize. So to put my plug in some kind of JC either-or perspective, I think Bubby's Burritos should be criminalized, and that Taqueria is the best Mexican I've had in the US. I lived in south Texas for a decade -- trust me, it's the best. If you share my taste, great; give John's a shot. If not, enjoy the other 1000 pizzas already mentioned.)

Cheers!

Posted on: 2010/3/21 6:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mike1443 wrote:
Would still put Pizza alla Gargiulo's 10" pie up against any of them. The 10" is better than their slices.

I'm glad to hear that. Just the other day I stopped in for two slices, my first time there. I was shocked at how flavorless and awful the slices were. The cheese and sauce were taste-free. Plus, the crust was a soft as a fresh tortilla.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Went back to Carmines - for awhile. I'd order, hang up the phone and "ding-dong", the doorbell would sound with delivery of those pies. Not really sure how they managed it though I suspect that they've outfitted the glove compartments of the delivery fleet with pizza ovens and simply troll around the neighborhood, awaiting an order. They are THAT fast.

Last Saturday we ordered pizza from Carmine's. It was during that horrendous rain storm. We figured it would take a while. Nope. Thirty minutes later we were enjoying a piping hot pizza.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Full confession: I'm a pizzatarian and could eat the stuff 3x/day.

I live right by La Rustique and was ordering from them every Saturday night, without fail. Charlie, the owner, made a great pie and life was good. A few months ago he hired someone to make the pies and another to take phone orders. As other readers have already stated: things went downhill - the sauce was straight from a can, orders were mixed up. I had to break up with La Rustique.

At the urging of many here I caved and gave Larry & Joe's a jingle. Grabbed my friend and dove into a large, extra, cheese pie. Monsterously good - the sauce was flavorful, the crust medium thick and the toppings fresh. I'm embarrased for Charlie of La Rustique to see the Larry & Joe's delivery car pulling up but a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
I finally stopped by the new Buon Appetito location on Grove Street today. I indulged in a slice of pizza topped with pepperoni and it was fantastic!

[...]

It turns out that, for the last couple of years, the brothers were working out at a place in Queens, but now they're quite happy to be back here as part of Buon Appetito's expansion from Bayonne into Jersey City.

In my opinion, Buon Appetito's pizza is a heck of a lot better than the handful of pizza places I've tried while living in Downtown Jersey City over the last 7 years.

I look forward to grabbing a slice from there again soon (and maybe a sandwich and a salad too).

YUM!

+1 !

I like thin slice pizza, made fresh with lots of cheese and since Lombardi's closed downtown a few years ago, Buon Appetito's beats them all, including Larry & Joe's. However if you like mushy and bloated crust there are plenty of those in JC.

Buon Appetito!

Buon Appetito's just doesnt do it for me. I actually really hate the sauce on their pies but don't mind it on their pasta.
Diffrent strokes!

Posted on: 2010/2/7 22:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
Delenio's is best around Hamilton park imo. Good quality toppings and a thin slice with a buttery crust. yum!

Posted on: 2010/2/7 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
I finally stopped by the new Buon Appetito location on Grove Street today. I indulged in a slice of pizza topped with pepperoni and it was fantastic!

[...]

It turns out that, for the last couple of years, the brothers were working out at a place in Queens, but now they're quite happy to be back here as part of Buon Appetito's expansion from Bayonne into Jersey City.

In my opinion, Buon Appetito's pizza is a heck of a lot better than the handful of pizza places I've tried while living in Downtown Jersey City over the last 7 years.

I look forward to grabbing a slice from there again soon (and maybe a sandwich and a salad too).

YUM!

+1 !

I like thin slice pizza, made fresh with lots of cheese and since Lombardi's closed downtown a few years ago, Buon Appetito's beats them all, including Larry & Joe's. However if you like mushy and bloated crust there are plenty of those in JC.

Buon Appetito!

Posted on: 2010/2/6 22:27
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!