Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Gov Christie wants to cut unempluyment benefits $50 a week
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

I still hold to my original opinion: If they can abuse the system... why cant the system abuse them?

+1

Posted on: 2010/2/26 6:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/28 6:50
Group:
Registered Users
Even with a cut of $50 the people of NJ would surpass what NY workers get, even with the govt. bonus.

We get 50% or capped at $405+$25 for the Fed.

So with the $50 cut someone in NJ would be making $104 more a week, count that over the time of unemployment (or the time people refuse to get work so they can slide into retirement) and they'll bank a lot of tax payer money after their initial 6 months runs out.

I'll guess the better system would be to cut $50 or hell even $100 out of the checks after the 6 month period, people need incentive to make sure they get up off their ass and look for work even if things look tough, because once you are 12-18 months out of a job most places of business will overlook you very quickly.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 6:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ahh - I confused state severance with unemployment - to entirely different things. I still think the two should be structured the same way.

In terms of unemployment - yes, NJ does pay more.

I still hold to my original opinion: If they can abuse the system... why cant the system abuse them?

Posted on: 2010/2/26 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I would have NO PROBLEM with the state taking more money from my paycheck (higher taxes) so that someone who is unemployment can keep their safety net. $50 is a lot when one isn't working. ad $50 affects the people only getting the minimum level of benefits a lot more than the ones getting the highest level of benefits.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure NJ unemployment gives you more than NY. Not sure why.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 0:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/1 15:53
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
radryan, the way it works is unemployment caps off at $584 per week. People who once made $100K get the same unemployment benefits as someone who made $40K. From what I have seen, my friends who were making close to six figures couldn't live off the $584 per week and aggressively searched for jobs. Meanwhile, a friend of mine who made almost the same amount that unemployment pays her per week when she was working has not searched for a job now for a year. She completely stops her search every time they announce an unemployment extension. And she is not the only person I know of who has been doing that.

I think they should do a tiered system. If someone is getting the same amount of money they earned when they had a job, what is going to motivate them to go back to work?

The job market is not going to improve until companies start rehiring. Neither will the housing market. Instead of paying out record bonuses, Goldman and other banks should have used some of that money to replace the thousands of jobs that were lost when the economy tanked.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Quote:
Is he crazy? People on unemployment tend to need all the money they can get.

Sure. I also need all the money I can get. But, right now, this state is facing a fiscal crisis and state government either needs to (1) reduce expenditures or (2) increase revenue. Since Christie isn't going to raise taxes and increase revenue, he needs to reduce expenditures. One way to do this is to cut entitlements.

Maybe he should reconsider raising taxes.

Quote:

Think about it this way---would you be willing to let the state take more of your paycheck and transfer it directly to someone who isn't working? I sure wouldn't and, accordingly, am perfectly happy to see benefits cut.

I hope you get laid off.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What are we upset about? State workers never get fired.

Actually they appear at work most of the year.... amassing 4 billion days of unused vacation and sick leave. Then they take giant payouts at retirement.

If they can abuse the system... why cant the system abuse them?

I have to admit - I don't know how the current system works, but it should be tiered as a portion of pay at dismissal and approx 2 weeks of severance for every year served with a 6 or 9 month cap.

susiederkins is right - severance is an entitlement. Your place of work owes you nothing when you are dismissed - we work "at-will." They are lucky to get severance at all. If they don't like it, take out an insurance policy on your debts.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Is he crazy? People on unemployment tend to need all the money they can get.

Sure. I also need all the money I can get. But, right now, this state is facing a fiscal crisis and state government either needs to (1) reduce expenditures or (2) increase revenue. Since Christie isn't going to raise taxes and increase revenue, he needs to reduce expenditures. One way to do this is to cut entitlements.

Think about it this way---would you be willing to let the state take more of your paycheck and transfer it directly to someone who isn't working? I sure wouldn't and, accordingly, am perfectly happy to see benefits cut.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:59

Gov Christie wants to cut unempluyment benefits $50 a week
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Is he crazy? People on unemployment tend to need all the money they can get. Fortunately, a state senator said thsi will not fly.

I think the state should institute a tiered so system so that individuals can choose to pay a higher premium to collect unemployment insurance for an extended period until they can find a job

Posted on: 2010/2/25 21:23

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017