Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Retail in Hamilton Park
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/19 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
To say these businesses won't do well even before they open is pretty passimistic. I think Jersey City can support better businesses like Smith & Chang and soon-to-open (fingers crossed) Hamilton Inn. There are enough people who prefer to shop and eat at quality establishments than at the mall and 99C stores; me for an example. I know there are people who have lived in JC for many years on this board and I am only a recent transplant, but I believe we should embrace the changes for the better in the new Jersey City and encourage entrepreneurs to invest here. Oh, and of course, it isn't SOHO here. That's why I moved here. As far as Embankment is concerned, I am quite happy with their happy hour.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking forward to new businesses opening around Hamilton Park. If they have good products and services I will patronize them. I would not compare the goods available at the mall with items generally carried by boutiques. I would be unlikely to buy a gift at a mall store, spend my tax refund at the mall, or have dinner in the mall food court. I think the residents in the Hamilton Park neighborhood are changing every day. There seems to be more and more people here who are attracted to small independent businesses. I think Smith and Chang are well aware of the changing market and are hopefully prepared to ride out the beginnings of this transitional time.

For the record, I find the food and service at the Embankment inconsistent and sometimes just disappointing.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/21 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
The food at the HP Ale house was passable for a quasi-sports bar, and not that much worse than White Star. And the environment was much better since you could actually watch a game and not feel like you were sharing a table with the rest of the bar.

I wonder what excuses people have for not going to The Embankment. I feel sorry for those guys, since the people of HP clearly don't know a good thing when they see it and would rather complain on a message board about off the leash golden retrievers and too many TVs at a sports bar.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
It was NOT inevitable for the Ale House and Simple to fail. I hear what you're saying about boutiques maybe struggling, but those two eateries/bars did quite well until very recently. But then they made changes that people didn't like. The Ale House added those awful TVs and their food quality went down. Simple's menu and food quality went down too.

I think that businesses like that will do quite well in Hamilton Park, provided they have the right atmosphere and a decent (not 5-star, but decent) menu. People post on JC List all the time looking for a place to eat in HP. A lot of people miss the way those places used to be.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Jersey City is large by NJ standards but it is really only comparable to Flushing or other outer areas of NYC.

Amen to that.

All neighborhoods want a lovely mix of tasteful living. BUT living in the shadow of NYC makes that VERY difficult. A large city sucks the life out of any attempt to make the adjoining "communities" anything but safe places to sleep, if lucky.

Hamilton Park has the double disadvantage of being next to a Mall, many additional huge stores (Shop-Rite, A&P, BJ's, Target, Home Depot, Hoboken Beverage, Best Buys, Buy Rite.
Think hard, has anyone EVER seen a lively area next to a Mall...I have not. I cannot conceive of ANYTWERE, NYC included that has such a concentration of huge retailers in such a small area. What in Heavens name could be left for Hamilton Park?

Those living there should be content with enough of EVERYTHING...anything else is overkill.

I live at Newport and say ENOUGH ALREADY, no more stores! And if I want great bars, great theater, and the greatest restaurants in the United States, I need only jump on the PATH train at my feet. Who needs another retail shop on site?
(And yes, I am the same distance from the Newport Mall as Hamilton Park is.)

Anybody who wants a beautiful bar tthere is the South Shore Grile and Michael Anthony's. They are both dying. Why, because of lack of interest. In spite of being surrounded by THOUSANDS of apartments within a couple blocks. Add Dorrians, Ole, Charley's (now defunct)...all mostly empty and you will see the fate of another bar opening in HP.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I get your points Xerxes, but HPAH and Simple both had decent patronage, not just drunks, before they were both taken under new management, and quality went downhill. I also think it could be outrageous rents. That is why the space next to Basic has been empty for 5 years and Ox closed down.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
People have to start realizing that we don't live in an area that is even remotely similar to SOHO. Jersey City is large by NJ standards but it is really only comparable to Flushing or other outer areas of NYC. As far as specialty stores go only a place like Torico's will survive. Something that is fairly cheap and people want a lot of. Liquor too. Boutique stores that sell shoes and clothes are gonna struggle. Restaurants will do okay but only if they're a bar as well. And for all you people who say you feel unsafe walking around alone? Bet you LOVE the sight of us dog owners walking down the street.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
It's too bad Hamilton Park Ale House and Simple went downhill the last couple of years.

Thing is it's not "too bad" but rather INEVITABLE.

It's one thing to wish for a certain type of shoppe ("pe" deliberately added) and quite another for a neighborhood to SUPPORT such a thing. Yes, one can bemoan the awfulness of post pubescent college types drinking and pucking on Washington Aven (Hoboken I presume) but it is EXACTLY those types who are required to make a success of an "Ale House" or "Ye Olde Tavern."
In a neighborhood where people collapse into bed after working like dogs all day to support a mortgage, cutesy will go by the wayside and "Ye Olde Ale House" will be doomed to failure. If one ran a successful bar, the Hamilton Park neighborhood would soon be up in arms about all the noise.

The same lack of people on the street that makes your wife wary of walking the streets at night is the same lack of people who make boutique shoppes and taverns financially untenable.

This is not conjecture on my part...several shoppes have tried and failed. Only fools rush in to fill their vacuum.

Wishing will not make Jersey City into Chelsea, Tribeca, or Fifth Avenue. It's a burb whose sole function is to provide a nearby well-rested workforce for NYC during good times.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
mikewho12, I hear what you're saying. Sometimes my wife feels uncomfortable walking home, but that is more about lack of other foot traffic and not cause it's a dangerous neighborhood.
The last thing we want is a Washington Street, where most of that 4AM traffic are right out of college drunks. A lot of people are here because it's NOT like that. It's too bad Hamilton Park Ale House and Simple went downhill the last couple of years. Perhaps it will get better with the Ale House (now Inn?) reopening and the rumors of the other restaurant next to Basic.
Does anyone know what's going on with the Simple Space?

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
One can rant and rave and stamp ones's feet but one is NOT going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Hamilton Park might as well be in the parking lot of the largest Mall in the county. Anyone who complains about a lack of "retail" needs to get a new seeing-eye dog.

Someone who wants to open a cute boutique is free to do so but the economics demand that such a business will fail post haste. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE NOT THERE!

Wanting a neighborhood with a cute boutque feel that one can stroll in while walking a poodle and wearing a new Easter bonnet will NOT work in Jersey City, not in Hamilton Park, not on Newark Ave, not in Journal Square. Jersey City is a "Central Avenue" kind of town in spite of people overpaying for real estate.

If you doubt me, feel free to sink a couple hundred grand into a silk flower shop, or a charming little place selling gorgeous hand woven potholders or stained glass trivets. Just make sure your trust fund can absorb the loss.

Petition the City to pave Jersey Avenue with cobbletone and install gas-lighting. People will come from the world over to buy their pot holders. Maybe even Van Cleef & Arpels, and Bergorff's will open shops. Or maybe not.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I really like that new retail store at the bottom of Hamilton Square Park. It reminds me of ABC Home & Carpet in the city, same items but price point lower. The tough thing about it is that I have gone in four times wanting to buy something, wanting to support them but I just can't find something that I can simply buy unless I go for soaps. Why? Well, I guess it's specific, if I wanted new dishes, or glasses or new design/decorating items I would go there - but I don't. I am going to try and support them as much as I can, the hardest part with this retail is that they need a LOT of inventory so there is something for everyone (who likes that style and pricepoint). I really want to support them though. I love their design, love the style of the store and I adore what they are trying to do, it's fantastically hip. I just hope it's not premature for the area. :)

There's a store in Tribeca that only sells axes, who knew - but their philosophy and coolness really made them successful, LOL. If I find the link, I'll post it.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EricFleming wrote:
Smith and Chang's offer good value and quality goods, something that you can't get at JCPenney etc. I wish them well.

Good value ? I'm not sure about that. Simple items such as salt & pepper shakers, shoe brushes should not cost more than $9. It's an interesting store but the overhead may be the backbone of those dear to tear prices. I would like to patronize that establishment but I just simply cannot afford it

Posted on: 2010/2/13 3:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
I've been in Hamilton Park for two years now and the thing I complain about the most is the lack of retail in the immediate area. I know we're close to a mall but there is something comforting about going into a unique store or restaurant in your own little neighborhood. It gives the area character and gets people out of their homes and walking around which in turns make the area feel safer. After 6pm the Hamilton Park totally shuts down, at least in the winter, and it feels a bit like a ghost town. Sure, it's nice that it's quite, but wouldn't it be great if you had a few choices when you wanted to go out with friends or grab a bite to eat with your significant other?

I lived in Hoboken for four years and I used to walk home at 4 in the morning. Never once did I feel like I was in danger and it was mostly because businesses on Washington Street stayed open all night and other people were walking around. I walk home now at 6pm and I'm looking over my shoulder because it's me and maybe one other person walking around.

Anyway, that's just my take on things. Not sure if things will ever change, but a guy can dream, right?

Posted on: 2010/2/13 3:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 2:01
Group:
Registered Users
Smith and Chang's offer good value and quality goods, something that you can't get at JCPenney etc.

I wish them well.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Hamilton Park is NEXT DOOR to a MALL.

The chance of cutesy shops surviving next door to a mall is about as good as a wine store surving next door to a Best Buy or a little overpriced hardware store next door to Home Depot.

If you want cutesy you have to buy property in Saddle River, Rumson, or Easthampton. We get mega-shopping instead.

"Oh goodness Muffie, a BRIE SHOPPE opening betweeen YE OLDE CUCKOO CLOCK and LOXETERIA!"

Retail in Hamilton Park? NONE!

I may be the target market exactly for more upscale retail near Hamilton Park. I'd rather go to a wine store that is small and has more specific wine offerings, I'd rather go to Renovation Hardware than Home Depot. I enjoy the experience along with my purchase moreso than forcing myself to go to Newport Mall which feels like a chore to me. And I think your quote, "Oh goodness Muffie, a BRIE SHOPPE opening betweeen YE OLDE CUCKOO CLOCK and LOXETERIA!" may be straight from Harry Potter's non-muggle mall.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Hamilton Park is NEXT DOOR to a MALL. The chance of cutesy shops surviving next door to a mall is about as good as a wine store surving next door to a Best Buy or a little overpriced hardware store next door to Home Depot. If you want cutesy you have to buy property in Saddle River, Rumson, or Easthampton. We get mega-shopping instead. "Oh goodness Muffie, a BRIE SHOPPE opening betweeen YE OLDE CUCKOO CLOCK and LOXETERIA!" Retail in Hamilton Park? NONE!

Keep in mind that the Newport Mall is a disgusting cesspool.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Hamilton Park is NEXT DOOR to a MALL.

The chance of cutesy shops surviving next door to a mall is about as good as a wine store surving next door to a Best Buy or a little overpriced hardware store next door to Home Depot.

If you want cutesy you have to buy property in Saddle River, Rumson, or Easthampton. We get mega-shopping instead.

"Oh goodness Muffie, a BRIE SHOPPE opening betweeen YE OLDE CUCKOO CLOCK and LOXETERIA!"

Retail in Hamilton Park? NONE!

Posted on: 2010/2/12 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
[...]

What type of place will open next door to Basic?

[...]

Anyone willing to pay Vladimir $10k/month. Not a long list.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 16:28
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
There will be a restaurant and a furniture boutique in Hamilton Square. There is supposed to be an Italian Restaurant opening next to Basic. There was one there a few years ago and then a raw bar but neither one did that well. Hamilton Inn should be opening anyday now. There is also a GIANT MALL just 3 blocks away.

I hope the Russkie czar doesn't screw things up.

Vladimir, is some character! However, the Italian restaurant that was there a few years ago was, according to Vladimir, stealing water from Basic's plumbing when Mr. Lee owned Basic, and once Mr. Lee found this out (his water bill was enormous)he cut them off so they had no water.

Caveat Emptor.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 16:24
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 2:01
Group:
Registered Users
Cocoa will also be a restaurant, with a menu created by Chef Edwyn Ferrari, but the bakery will open first.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 16:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went in Smith & Chang General Goods (a very cool store) and I heard people saying there will be a bakery on the parkside soon. I'm glad new things are happening in the neighborhood. It's about time! Now, we need the park to reopen.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
There will be a restaurant and a furniture boutique in Hamilton Square. There is supposed to be an Italian Restaurant opening next to Basic. There was one there a few years ago and then a raw bar but neither one did that well. Hamilton Inn should be opening anyday now. There is also a GIANT MALL just 3 blocks away.

I hope the Russkie czar doesn't screw things up.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
How come there seems to be so little?

Not much of a choice of restaurants, bars, or retail.

What type of place will open next door to Basic?

What type of retail can we expect to open on the ground floor of Hamilton Square?

Similar to the Western Slope of the Heights section. A couple of candy stores, a few delicatessens, and some taverns, very residential...and I wouldn't want it any other way. Be glad for the tranquility.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
It seems like the Hamilton Park neighborhood is the place to be with the soon to be newly renovated park, the cool looking new condos, the retail, several restaurants etc.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bakery? I never heard that a bakery is coming to HP. All I know about is Cocoa Bakery on Grand. Any details?

I hope the pet store has grooming/nail clipping. My dog isn't walking well right now, and it's a pain to go to Canis Minor and park in that narrow little deck.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 18:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I also heard a bakery is coming.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went into Smith and Chang earlier today. It's a really nice store with a very nice owner who was also involved in the early years of Basic (but later sold it). He said they aim to sell goods made by small companies and artists, mostly within the region. The goods are also Earth-friendly. Many of them are all-natural, recycled, and such. The store has an eclectic selection of furniture, cast iron pots, natural soaps, lighting, gifts, and more, and everything is very nice. And the prices are really very reasonable. He said they also plan to carry practical items, like toothpaste and things.

There's a bit about the store here:

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... hamilton-square-and-more/

Posted on: 2010/1/16 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The Pet Store is going to be opened too. I forgot about that. I spoke to Sawyer awhile ago.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went by Smith and Chang's tonight. I wasn't able to go in because I had my dog, but it looked nice from the outside. My sister went in and thought they had some interesting stuff. She talked to the owner (I guess he's the owner), who confirmed that the wine shop would be coming and also said something about a restaurant (didn't say what kind) and a pet shop. Hadn't heard the pet shop rumor before. I hope it's a groomer--would be nice to be able to quickly take my dog there. I hope Smith and Chang gets some signs up. Not much foot traffic around there, but maybe when the park and other stores open, they'll get some good business. Plus there's not a Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel in the Newport Mall, and with presumably more unique stuff, S&C might have a shot.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
..."Tenants include a wide array of boutique shops and services, such as an Equinox style gym, restaurant and bar, noodle shop, bakery, wine shop,...

I think this may be the wine shop that Mattias and Alice from Madame Claude's are opening up.

If so, it should be a FANTASTIC additon to the neighborhood. From talking to them, they're planning on having a different emphasis than Buy-Rite, but still keeping their wines reasonably priced. Fingers crossed...

Posted on: 2010/1/6 16:17
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017