Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 131 Kensington
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/28 0:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
We park our car on the street and have never had a problem with vandalism or finding spots. The units are riding the same market ups and downs as elsewhere. Despite the fees, t can be difficult to find availability here. As for the maintenance fees, I will say this is the most stress free place I've lived (rented and owned), so you get what you pay for in this case.

sounds great! any cons you can think of about the Gothic towers?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
We park our car on the street and have never had a problem with vandalism or finding spots. The units are riding the same market ups and downs as elsewhere. Despite the fees, t can be difficult to find availability here. As for the maintenance fees, I will say this is the most stress free place I've lived (rented and owned), so you get what you pay for in this case.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
50 Glenwwod is an old, impeccably maintained building with doorstaff and outdoor space. Maintenance is a bit high but includes heat and minor repairs. What else do you want to know?

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I would just be cautious of Bergen Ave and eastward.
Check out spotcrime.com -- I'll let that do my talking.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 14:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/28 0:07
Group:
Registered Users
any more info about gothic towers(50 glenwood)??

Posted on: 2013/7/1 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Gothic Towers has 24-7 Concierge coverage.
The staff is friendly and conscientious.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
The Hague lobby is to die for but I\'m really surprised that a building of that caliber does not have door staff.

It's a luxury that pretty much every building in the neighborhood lost years ago. 50 Glenwood (Gothic Towers) is the only one left, yes? Are the doormen full-time there or only part-time? The Summit at 2787 Kennedy has doormen, but is really more what I'd call Journal Square.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Hague lobby is to die for but I'm really surprised that a building of that caliber does not have door staff.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
I've always been curious about The Hague (2600 Kennedy). There's some units there listed on zillow. This is the big daddy of the pre-war buildings in the McGinley Sq. area.

There are some amazing apartments in there, especially on the top 2 floors, some of which contain parts of Mayor Frank Hague's 14-room duplex which was split up many years ago. The views are excellent. The building is reaching the end of a expensive, multi-year exterior restoration. My impression as an outsider is that values have been kept down a bit by the financial hit of all the work they've had to do, but if it's really coming to an end, that's a good sign.

Quote:

Two more buildings to note: 36 Duncan and 50 Glenwood. Both really really nice, but any available units fly off the shelf within a week or two. We have bidding experience at both, one unsuccessfully, one successfully.

I'd say 53 Duncan is nicer and more desirable an address than 36. I'm aware of at least 2 apartments currently for sale there. Some of the apartment layouts are a little odd with a very long hallway, often right after the front door, but it's great display space if you have an art collection. 61 Duncan is the most beautiful building on the block, but is all rentals.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 6:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I lived across from this building for 5 years.

Facts.

Nice people live in that building and a good on site building superintendent who keeps the common area in great condition.

Crime is minimal and the West district police are extremely responsive. I felt as equally safe there as I did when I lived in Hamilton Park.

Area is also patrolled by both the JCPD and the Hudson County Sheriffs office. There is always a patrol car in that area.

If you own a car, the parking is hit or miss. (Thankfully, I had a driveway)

It's located on one of the most well kept parks in Hudson County.
100+ acres

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's a GOOD thing that JC has more than 1 area of commerce.

And regarding crime reports, Heights, the Heights + downtown don't look all that rosy either.

I'm a former downtowner, now an uptown girl.

Dimond, I pm'd you everything I know about 131 Kensington.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
Quote:

dimond1117 wrote:
Hi All -
Can anyone tell me what the neighborhood is like? I've heard not so good reports on the lincoln park area as a whole but was just curious if anyone had anymore info??
We are going to look at an condo in this building next week. Amazing condo for very cheap so it leads me to wonder -
is it the neighborhood?
the building?? etc...

Any info appreciated.
Thanks!!

It's not a bad area. Block by block is the best way to check. Walk around West Side Avenue, Bergen Avenue.

I will disagree vehemently with Heights' position that only the Heights and Downtown JC are worthwhile places to live, buy, go, etc. And I am not alone. There is movement, and even a movement , comprised of people who live EVERYWHERE in Jersey City, including the Heights and Downtown, who are done with that. Here's my contribution:http://www.UptownCrew.net We're a nonprofit and part of the change that Jersey City is so ready for.

Maybe I jumped the gun and over ran the starting gate too soon. It's just every time you pick up the paper there seems to be a negative life story popping up. I should be glad that residents are taking back these lost communities or maintaining areas that are still upstanding. The proximity to the crime ridden sections of J.C. is to close for comfort though and that was the basis of my opinion. I usually compare J.C. to Brooklyn as many sections there have improved some more than others. Of course Park Slope is probably the better and more gentrified then the rest, but others sections are trying just as J.C. is with their numerous sections and neighborhoods. Jersey City just has too many areas for their residents to call their own especially when you look at the main street picture there isn't just one avenue of commerce. Where other towns have one single avenue of stores as their center of town we don't. We tend to stay within our own and not venture out and about such as the Downtown folks who seem to never know about the long existing venues and businesses that are spread throughout Jersey City. I will try to be a little more open minded next time but my advice still stands for new residents of any potential new neighborhood to sample a taste of the area before buying.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 10:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dimond1117 wrote:
Hi All -
Can anyone tell me what the neighborhood is like? I've heard not so good reports on the lincoln park area as a whole but was just curious if anyone had anymore info??
We are going to look at an condo in this building next week. Amazing condo for very cheap so it leads me to wonder -
is it the neighborhood?
the building?? etc...

Any info appreciated.
Thanks!!

It's not a bad area. Block by block is the best way to check. Walk around West Side Avenue, Bergen Avenue.

I will disagree vehemently with Heights' position that only the Heights and Downtown JC are worthwhile places to live, buy, go, etc. And I am not alone. There is movement, and even a movement , comprised of people who live EVERYWHERE in Jersey City, including the Heights and Downtown, who are done with that. Here's my contribution:http://www.UptownCrew.net We're a nonprofit and part of the change that Jersey City is so ready for.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 7:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dimond1117 wrote:
Hi All -
We are going to look at an condo in this building next week. Amazing condo for very cheap so it leads me to wonder - is it the neighborhood? the building?? etc... Any info appreciated.
Thanks!!

If it's not the Heights or Downtown forget about it. Maybe the area east of the JSQ bus terminal/PATH going into the Island is ok too. What is the asking price because prices are coming down and condos are starting to equate single family homes plus the condo assesment are of almost equal value to their 2 family counterparts. You may get a bargin on the east side of the Heights. Also attend some block associations in the areas that you are looking into. This tiome of year the members are having their annual Christmas parties a lot of fun.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 21:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/12 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All -
is it the neighborhood?
the building?? etc...

Any info appreciated.
Thanks!!

Posted on: 2010/12/17 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Cato,

I have a lot to say on this topic. I do not work in the real estate industry. I'm a recent seller and current buyer. We targeted mainly pre-war bldg's in the Lincoln Park/McGinley Sq area.

The project I fell in love with was 340 Fairmount (same developer as 131 Kensington, but much further along - the condo assn is in the hands of the owners). Those apartments aren't that large, and currently there are none available. As it's an ongoing project though, new units sporadically hit the market.

333 Fairmount is stunning and the units are large. (1000 sqft) However, the developer is having major financial problems. If they get someone else to take over, you can get a gorgeous apartment, indeed.

I've always been curious about The Hague (2600 Kennedy). There's some units there listed on zillow. This is the big daddy of the pre-war buildings in the McGinley Sq. area.

115 Highland ("Highland Arms") has some nice airy units for an ok price, established condo assn; the building's common areas could use some minor tweaking.

There's a beautiful shortsale at 54 Glenwood. The sq footage is mislisted as 591 sq ft instead of the 791 sq ft it really is. If you have the patience to wait out a short sale this is a great value.

Two more buildings to note: 36 Duncan and 50 Glenwood. Both really really nice, but any available units fly off the shelf within a week or two. We have bidding experience at both, one unsuccessfully, one successfully.

If walking to JSQ is not a priority for you, the building on the corner of Bentley/West Side has/had a roomy condo for sale at a good price.

pm me if you want more info. I won't state the "misses" publicly.

all of the above is simply 1 person's opinion.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 16:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Moxiebaby or anybody else - any other buildings in that general area you would recommend taking a look at based on your experience. Travelling alot for work so anything I can immediately eliminate would save some time. I am interested in a large pre-war apartment.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you. The unit we were considering @ 131 was larger and the taxes considerably lower than what's stated above. Howevs, we gave it a pass and are in contract on an even older building with a well-established condo assn and mostly owner occupied units. The taxes are fair; the maintenance fees (as in all prewar buildings) are high but the unit is over 900 sq ft. Also, the maintenance fees in this case cover not only heat/hot water, but also a doorman and a yard with a "pond". The building and unit itself are in decent condition. We know this as we just had our inspection.

Our last sticking point will be the bank's appraisal. I'm hearing appraisals are coming in low in which case we won't get our mortgage and none of this is a go. but it will be awesome to stop having to post r/e questions.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyRoots wrote:
Hello -

What would you like to know? The building has a rich history (and current vibrancy), built in the 1930s, full of original deco details, park views, etc.

(BTW, the film was "Two Lovers" with Paltrow and Joaquin Phoenix, the facade is newly tuckpointed and the lintels are also newly refurbished).

What kind of information are you looking for?

Moxiebaby, you do realize that this poster is the salesperson trying to sell them. Not exactly the person I would be asking for an objective opinion.

I would call the city directly to find out when the conversion was completed and ask them what the taxes are going to be on the unit you're looking at.

A friend of mine bought in a new conversion where the taxes were "to be determined" they wound up paying $5600 per year on a 650 sq ft condo. Another important question is how many units the developer still owns or does any one unit owner own more than 1 unit. That can directly effect where operating expenses are allocated.

The unit my friend bought in had it where a relative of the developer was being paid several hundred dollars per month for property management in a 7 unit building.

Hope this info helps!

A 80 year old building and nearly $6k in property taxes for a 650sq ft partioned room, risky.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyRoots wrote:
Hello -

What would you like to know? The building has a rich history (and current vibrancy), built in the 1930s, full of original deco details, park views, etc.

(BTW, the film was "Two Lovers" with Paltrow and Joaquin Phoenix, the facade is newly tuckpointed and the lintels are also newly refurbished).

Moxiebaby, you do realize that this poster is the salesperson trying to sell them. Not exactly the person I would be asking for an objective opinion.

I would call the city directly to find out when the conversion was completed and ask them what the taxes are going to be on the unit you're looking at.

A friend of mine bought in a new conversion where the taxes were "to be determined" they wound up paying $5600 per year on a 650 sq ft condo. Another important question is how many units the developer still owns or does any one unit owner own more than 1 unit. That can directly effect where operating expenses are allocated.

The unit my friend bought in had it where a relative of the developer was being paid several hundred dollars per month for property management in a 7 unit building.

Hope this info helps!

Posted on: 2010/4/26 1:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Just wondering if anyone else has any info on this building. Dont know much about the area or the building.

Moxiebaby what was the result of your search?

Posted on: 2010/4/26 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Jersey Roots,
Aside from wondering how often residents are smoking in the indoor common areas of the building, I sent you a list of questions via pm.

thanks in advance for your response.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 17:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/25 4:03
Group:
Registered Users
Hello -

Posted on: 2010/1/31 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map
View Larger Map What Gwyneth Paltrow flick?

Posted on: 2010/1/30 11:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/5 20:35
Group:
Registered Users
All I have to say about this building is we were prospective buyers at one point. I'm not going to say DO NOT buy there BUT...

If you're considering it you MUST have a home inspector come in. MANY many things were pointed out to us.

Have your inspector pay particularly close attention to the entire brick facade (front back and sides of building) and the lintels above the windows.

Tick Tock Tick Tock...It's just a matter of time...

Posted on: 2010/1/30 3:41

131 Kensington
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
....Does anyone know anything about life in this bldg (other than the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow shot a flick there) or one this block (by corner of West Side Ave) ??

Thanks. Yes, I know. I do this a lot.
Don't fret. The homebuyer tax credit expires soon
and questions about various complexes will no longer
have to be answered.

It'd be killer to have a **comprehensive** web directory of fun, fanfare + failure of large apartment/condo bldgs in JC.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 21:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017