Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Rally at City Hall Wednesday, Jan 27?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The JCList vimeo views makes me question this sites true popularity.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 10:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
I'm really glad it made the paper; even if it's the JJ.

Did other media cover this? I hope so!

I work 3pm-11pm. I wanted to be there tonight (but I HAVE to work to pay for my property taxes!).

I'll call in sick for the next rally.

::cough:: Sorry, I can't come in today. My property taxes are getting insanely high. ::cough::

And I KNOW this is an INSANELY simple idea, but did anyone bring up tax abatements and PILOT programs? Those of us who believed enough in JC and DIDN'T get tax abatements shouldn't have to pay extra to support the luxury high rises or the new office bulidings.

It's ridiculous that City Hall is STILL giving developers these abatements. JC City Hall has been corrupt for eons. It's about time we take a stand.

I told my co-worker what I pay in property taxes. He has a few acres in PA. He wanted to smack me.

jerseycityindependent.orgwas there and will have excellent coverage from Shane Smith!

Tax abatements were brought up by several speakers pointing out that "you gave the city away while taxing the middle class". Yvonne Balcer, gave a great talk on how those new to jc don't realize how this goes back to Schundler and how he sold out jc for 12.5 cents on the dollar on a $40 million dollar loan made to Lefrak as an equity investment on his development on the waterfront, that Bret boy then used to plug the budget hole in his administration so he could claim "I'm the only jc mayor to balance the budget" when he later ran for Governor. Look it up and more on Mia Scanga's excellent site, stopbretschundler.com, click on "City Finances" and click on every link on her site to get some excellent analysis and reportage of Schundler's past.

Quote:
"City ready to sell stake in Newport?. Price: 10 percent of '85 UDAG loan"read Brian Donohue's JJ front page article, 1/5/98. "Thirteen years after the city jump-started waterfront development with a $40 million loan to the Newport development, Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler plans to sell the city's interest in the project for 10 percent of that amount. With $ 4 million included in the city's introduced budget to stem a tax increase?. Under the terms of its partnership, the city was to have retained an equity interest in Newport's first phase, including Newport Center Mall and 1,500 units of housing once the loan was paid off." Councilmen Cavanaugh and Bettinger persuaded the Council to have Sam Lefrak buy an annuity that through time would pay back the $40 million due the City. The UDAG loan was flipped into an annuity but shortly thereafter, Schundler sold it for an immediate $5 million to plug his FY2000 and FY2001 budgets. Council members Bettinger, Cavanaugh and Donnelly voted against the sale but were out voted. Once again the City with its Gold Coast has to sell out at 12.5 cents on the dollar so as to cut the budget deficit. Great deal for Simon & Associates who owns the mall and Sam Lefrak the luxury, tax abated apartments, bad for the taxpayers?. As they say the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The city included $2.5 million of the sale in its FY2000 budget and $2.5 million in the current, pending FY 2001 budget which ends in June. Chronically late budgets are the hallmark of the Schundler administration. Late budgets = tax increases.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 8:58
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2010/1/28 8:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I love how the councilman sitting on the far left (Sottolano, I think) kept trying to explain that passing the ordinance allowing them to exceed appropriation limits didn't mean that they actually would go beyond the limits. Who did he think he was kidding?? That would be like a lottery winner passing up on the winnings. Also, was it just me, or did Flood seem unsure of herself everytime she cast a vote? It was as if she couldn't recall Healy's exact instructions.

Yeah, before Flood voted she leaned over to Gaughan and I got the distinct impression she was asking how she should vote. I'm just saying, you know.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 8:40
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm really glad it made the paper; even if it's the JJ.

Did other media cover this? I hope so!

I work 3pm-11pm. I wanted to be there tonight (but I HAVE to work to pay for my property taxes!).

I'll call in sick for the next rally.

::cough:: Sorry, I can't come in today. My property taxes are getting insanely high. ::cough::

And I KNOW this is an INSANELY simple idea, but did anyone bring up tax abatements and PILOT programs? Those of us who believed enough in JC and DIDN'T get tax abatements shouldn't have to pay extra to support the luxury high rises or the new office bulidings.

It's ridiculous that City Hall is STILL giving developers these abatements. JC City Hall has been corrupt for eons. It's about time we take a stand.

I told my co-worker what I pay in property taxes. He has a few acres in PA. He wanted to smack me.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 7:05

Jersey City residents protest tax hike at City Council meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 27, 2010, 10:28PM

Chanting "no more taxes" hundreds of city council residents flooded tonight's Jersey City Council meeting.

More than 300 people attended tonight's meeting after getting their quarterly tax bills.

In a rush to include $14 million in state state aid before Jon S. Corzine left the governor's office, the City Council introduced a $492 million budget that if left unchanged could hike taxes for the owner of a home assessed at $100,000 by as much as $800.

The budget, which could be finalized in March, is for the current fiscal year that ends June 30.

Residents stepped up to the microphone pleading with council members to lessen the blow and offering suggestions like eliminating cars for council members and city employees.

Another suggestion was eliminating benefits for part-time employees and appointees to city boards and commissions, a measure Councilman Steven Fulop said he plans to introduce at the next meeting.

The residents urged the council to make the tough decisions they have had to make in their own lives while facing pay cuts, layoffs and increased health care costs.

The rally was organized through the Web site www.JCList.com.

Esther Wintner drew applause when she said, "I am not your ATM."

John Lynch, another resident who organized tonight's rally, said he hopes to see the same crowd at the next City Council meeting.

While the public hearing on the budget isn't until next month, there was an ordinance, which is approved annually, that would allow the city to exceed the state budget cap. Fulop, Councilwoman Nidia Lopez and Councilwoman Viola Richardson voted against the measure after hearing lengthy testimony from residents. Councilman Mariano Vega was absent.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 5:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The lion's share is by far the schools -- oh, and maybe the Parking Authority can start making money.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
But seriously, if they don't raise taxes to balance the budget, what gets cut? Police, fire, sanitation, parks...
part of the answer hinges on trenton and christie ... as a republican, he knows that he has a snowball's change in hell winning a county with multiple competing democratic organizations ... so, he may use this as a very painful example and withdraw state support to jersey city ... that would be extremely painful for the city council and its members ...

what i do not get is that all these people sit on various municipal boards, and while technically volunteers, they get nice perks --- car, phone, no cost health insurance ... when i volunteer, i do not get these necessities ... bahahaha

i wonder what it would cost to phase out all these perks - essentially compensation - over a number of years? perhaps, the amounts are largely insignificant in a 400 mil budget ... but the message it sends to people in municipal government and the city would be valuable ...

Posted on: 2010/1/28 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The lion's share is by far the schools -- oh, and maybe the Parking Authority can start making money.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
But seriously, if they don't raise taxes to balance the budget, what gets cut? Police, fire, sanitation, parks...

Posted on: 2010/1/28 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/28 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
WOW Esther Winters hit it out of the park, what passion she delivered tonight.

We need to keep the heat on and continue to pack the house. While I can tell you some it fell on deaf ears as I caught up with Gaughan at the end of the night, spoke to him for a few and told him he should be ashamed of himself, he has done well for himself, yet except for dome token good things he has done, paving streets, doing something for the seniors from time to time, overall he could give a shit about the JC Residents. He tells, well I pay taxes too and mine are going up also, however as I said to Gaughan, you can afford them. Here is a guy with a million dollar home in Spring Lake, complaining about paying his fair share.
He goes on and tells me, that, the people think they are stupid up on the council and that they know what is going on and the residents don't understand the complicated situation the council has to deal with.
Gaughan while you are not stupid, you are arrogant and could really care less how your decision effects the JC Residents.

JC Residents lets keep showing City Council meetings. Lets do whatever it takes to make Healy's Captive Council uncomfortable and miserable. They sure don't care that they put the burden on the JC Residents and make our lives miserable. It's time to turn the tables on Team Healy!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 4:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
YDespite the showing tonight I can't help but feel the message of the people fell on deaf ears. The body language (and words) of several members of council seem to indicate such.

+1

All the Bush years did is prove that Government does, what Government wants, regardless of what the people say. And the Healy Team is following in Bush's teachings.

And the sad thing is, if there was a recall, who would fill the seats? It's a one party system in JC, makes me think our local government is a dictatorship. There is no alternative.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Willie Flood - Is she on drugs or something? I swear she had NOOOO idea what was going on tonight. I mean that was BAD.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Yep. Packed house, but I'd love to see an army of people at the hearingp on Feb 24! Like packed house, packed vestibule, packed lawn outside, packed streets. Despite the showing tonight I can't help but feel the message of the people fell on deaf ears. The body language (and words) of several members of council seem to indicate such.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gibbons70 wrote:
Did they pass the new budget with the tax increase? I thought they did, cause at one point about 8p, after a vote, a bunch of people near me left.

And if they didn't pass the budget with the tax increase, when is their plan to do so?

And if they do pass the budget, can we get a recall on any of them, and Healy?

No - they passed a measure that allows the budget to exceed the cap set by the state. It is the mechanism that will allow for the tax increase. Cap increase:tax increase :: hangman:rope.

Budget likely to be voted on at Feb. 24 council meeting.

Recall process can't begin until May 11, which is fifty days before the completion of the first year of the current term.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

West wrote:
I thought it went pretty well.

40 people were on the agenda to speak and I hope the City Council heard our message loud and clear. The room was full with people standing in the back.

Now, let's keep the heat on.

No new taxes!

I don't think it could have gone better. We have two more opportunities to do at least as well - the council doesn't vote on the budget until at least the Feb. 24 meeting. Huge turnout tonight (extremely raucous!) - don't see why it can't happen again x 2.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did they pass the new budget with the tax increase? I thought they did, cause at one point about 8p, after a vote, a bunch of people near me left.

And if they didn't pass the budget with the tax increase, when is their plan to do so?

And if they do pass the budget, can we get a recall on any of them, and Healy?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/31 0:26
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it went pretty well.

40 people were on the agenda to speak and I hope the City Council heard our message loud and clear. The room was full with people standing in the back.

Now, let's keep the heat on.

No new taxes!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I love how the councilman sitting on the far left (Sottolano, I think) kept trying to explain that passing the ordinance allowing them to exceed appropriation limits didn't mean that they actually would go beyond the limits. Who did he think he was kidding?? That would be like a lottery winner passing up on the winnings. Also, was it just me, or did Flood seem unsure of herself everytime she cast a vote? It was as if she couldn't recall Healy's exact instructions.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Holy crap! Esther Wintner just brought down the house. She closed with "No more taxes" and the 200 or so in the house started up the chant for a full minute. Good times!!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
New favorite quote, "I am not your ATM!" during a passionate speech that brought the whole room to their feet chanting "NO MORE TAXES! NO MORE TAXES!"

Posted on: 2010/1/28 1:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
Ok it's getting fiesty now. Some yelling and hooting.Best quote so far "how about affordable housing for people who pay taxes!"

Posted on: 2010/1/28 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in council chambers now. Packed house but a bit of standing room, so come on down. It'll be a long night!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
PS - i can't make it out of work to go lend support to the fight... but please, can someone try and lower my taxes for me?

thanks a bunch!

pps - good luck!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 23:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
don't know where you live Gibbons, but in the last few years, my neighborhood DID get it's streets paved (and new handicap-accessible curbs)....

thanks Gaughan!

Same thing happened in my 'hood this past spring. Paving the way for the future I guess.

Thanks Gaughan

Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
moving the signs in the sideswalks is total BS....

Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Im sure there will be a long line of speakers. I hope someone mentions the wasted tax dollars to move all those signs mounted in the MIDDLE OF THE SIDEWALK!! what an f-ing WASTE! who will be accountable besides the tax payers!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
don't know where you live Gibbons, but in the last few years, my neighborhood DID get it's streets paved (and new handicap-accessible curbs)....

thanks Gaughan!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I rather taxes increase and in return receive the necessary services that we expect provided by the city.

When called out, Gaughan says we're getting our streets paved.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
yeah, if anyone hears this being called a "tea party" stop that immediately... tea party groups are not what you want to be associated with... them be crazy!

The tea parties have been pilloried in the mainstream media because the bulk of the mainstream media is dominated by imbeciles like Keith Olbermann.

The truth is what is being planned at City Hall tonight is just like the hundreds of tea party protests that have taken place all around the country---groups of angry taxpayers who feel as though their government is failing them. That's what we're doing tonight, right?

Protesting ineffective government isn't a liberal or conservative thing---it's an American thing.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I rather taxes increase and in return receive the necessary services that we expect provided by the city.

In your opinion what would those services be ? besides street cleaning, snow plowing and all the basic stuff. For me the biggest
issue in this city is choice of GOOD HI SCHOOLS, which should be part of the basic stuff, but not so in JC.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:21

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017