Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Wayne St - Bike stolen right out of my apartment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
don't have renters insurance, I imagine the deductible would probably have been more then the value of the bike ($400).

They took it from the hallway right outside the front door of the apartment. I was in the living room, right on the other side of the hallway wall.

Renter's insurance is a bargain! It not only covers household items stolen but also items left in your car.

Yrs ago I was parked at my GF's apt bldg on 1st st and heard my car alarm go off on a Sunday morn. Needless to say it was my trunk that was broken into. I filed with State Farm, and in less than 2 wks I had a check for the full value of what I had stolen. Best insurance I ever bought!

Several yrs ago, I was visiting a couple with their new baby and they had a neighbor who got home and found his bike in the basement stolen. Apparently, while we were there, someone had buzzed the thief into the bldg. without knowing who they were letting in and this was the result. I stress always to the neighbors where I live not to buzz anyone in that they don't personally know.

BTW the person who had his bike stolen also had his drums stolen in his van on the street. Get renter's insurance if you rent as no car, bike, household is immune from theft and the best thing you can do is secure your household as per suggestions of the JJCPD and the Downtown Jersey City Neighborhood Watch.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 20:29
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in J.C my whole life and always had a bike since I learned to ride it in grammar school. I have always been suspect of someone taking it Murphy's Law reigned when it came to protecting my bicycles.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 18:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

slim26 wrote:

Nobody has any business other then the owner of the building and my wife and I for being in the hallway. Someone must've known that there were bikes in the hallway (fortunately they only got one).

That is a shame about your bike. But you will need to take the advice about locks to heart when you get a replacement, as will I - last fall, someone hotwired the door to our condominium's parking garage, and made off with most of the bikes chained to our common bike rack. Thinking our locked garage secure, I only used a cable and kept my Kryptonite lock for my rides. No matter how secure we think our building's are, you only need to take in the characters loitering or hanging out aimlessly to realize there is ample time for someone to case a place out!

Good luck and happy cycling in the future!

Posted on: 2010/1/19 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
near the corner of Wayne and Barrow.

as for the question regarding layout of building... it's a ground floor apt in a brownstone. Metal gate to enter the basement floor building, long hallway, then 1 door at the end which is the front door of the apartment. The bike was hanging up in the hallway.

Nobody has any business other then the owner of the building and my wife and I for being in the hallway. Someone must've known that there were bikes in the hallway (fortunately they only got one).

Only people that are even in there besides us are utility guys such as the meter reader.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rodney wrote:
shameless plug.. Winter sale all in stock locks 10% off... along with some other great savings... come check us out

I would go for the Kryptonite lock it has a long heavy duty link chain attached to a thick U-lock. It uses a key and they give you an insurance guarantee to cover the loss of the bike if the bike gets stolen an account of the lock getting cracked

Posted on: 2010/1/16 23:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/16 19:24
Group:
Registered Users
shameless plug.. Winter sale all in stock locks 10% off... along with some other great savings... come check us out

Posted on: 2010/1/16 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
Around lunch time today, some scumbag walked into my brownstone (in the hallway leading to the apartment), took a book off the wall and stole it. All the time with me sitting about 15 feet away on the other side of the wall.

Unfortunately, the outside gate to the apartment was cracked open for them to get in, and I had the blinds on my front windows closed so I didn't see anything. Amazing that I didn't even hear anything.

Luckily they must not have had time to take the other bike or anything else.

If anyone has seen any thugs making off with green trek near Wayne and Barrow, please let me know.

Thanks.

What area is this in? It would be great to know for block watch reasons. If someone is brazen once and realizes the goods in brownstone lobbies is worth it...they could be making their rounds....

Posted on: 2010/1/16 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Private hallway still trying to decphier the picture. Is the hallway part of your apartment where no one else has access to the hallway. Can other tenants roam into"your" hallway ? And yes you must always lock the bike up I have mine locked up in an area that is already locked up. If they want the bikes that bad they will have to create a racket to get to them along with getting them out of there. At that point I did all I could.
As Bob Dylan sang "When You Ain't Got Nothing...You Got Nothing To Loose.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
yes. it was in a private hallway (solely used for my apartment) right outside the main door for the apartment. Pretty ballsy for someone to do it at the time they did. If they made any noise at all, they would've been caught. Plus, you don't see too many people riding their mountain bikes around downtown in the middle of winter.

I wouldn't have thought I needed to lock up my bike inside my building.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, you need front door locks and bike locks.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
So it wasn't actually IN your apartment, just in your apartment building, correct? Like there's a hallway w/ stairs and whatnot, and that's where it was, outside the locked door to your apartment.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
don't have renters insurance, I imagine the deductible would probably have been more then the value of the bike ($400).

They took it from the hallway right outside the front door of the apartment. I was in the living room, right on the other side of the hallway wall.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I am wondering how they got into your apartment and you were in the same room ?? If you are renting perhaps you renters insurance can cover the loss because of the broken gate.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
typo. . bike off the wall.. it was actually hanging up on a hook from the ceiling

Posted on: 2010/1/14 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Wait did they take a bike or a book off the wall?

Either way that's pretty effin brazen..

Posted on: 2010/1/14 21:27

Wayne St - Bike stolen right out of my apartment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Around lunch time today, some scumbag walked into my brownstone (in the hallway leading to the apartment), took a book off the wall and stole it. All the time with me sitting about 15 feet away on the other side of the wall.

Unfortunately, the outside gate to the apartment was cracked open for them to get in, and I had the blinds on my front windows closed so I didn't see anything. Amazing that I didn't even hear anything.

Luckily they must not have had time to take the other bike or anything else.

If anyone has seen any thugs making off with green trek near Wayne and Barrow, please let me know.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 20:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017