Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: It's a holiday tradition for PATH riders moving in and out of the Pavonia-Newport station
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 19:22
Group:
Registered Users
I love the tree! The first time I saw it, it was a nice surprise, it makes me happy! :)

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:23

Re: It's a holiday tradition for PATH riders moving in and out of the Pavonia-Newport station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
You ever touched a horizontal surface in a PATH or MTA tunnel? If not, brush a finger on one of the pipes hanging from the ceiling. Or just take a look at the walls on the other side of the tracks. The tunnels are gross and caked with so much soot I can understand needing a new one each year.

It's primarily brake dust -- the path uses rubber brakes, which the subway does not.

The tree is such a treat. I love the confused tourists who spot it zooming past.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
It is a short but glorious life for that artificial tree.

If it is one with the lights already built in, being on 24/7 for 7 weeks is probably about 10x's more use then a tree in a normal home sees over a holiday season.

I can't begrudge anyone fore getting a new one annually.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Your thread title isn't very helpful.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I love the tree. I have a question, though....why would they get a new artificial tree each year? Does it get that dirty? So dirty a good rinsing wouldn't clean it off?
You ever touched a horizontal surface in a PATH or MTA tunnel? If not, brush a finger on one of the pipes hanging from the ceiling. Or just take a look at the walls on the other side of the tracks. The tunnels are gross and caked with so much soot I can understand needing a new one each year.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I love the tree. I have a question, though....why would they get a new artificial tree each year? Does it get that dirty? So dirty a good rinsing wouldn't clean it off?

It's in the tunnel for a month and a half by time they clean it it would be a waste of time.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/17 15:30

It's a holiday tradition for PATH riders moving in and out of the Pavonia-Newport station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
PATH trains rumble past a glorious sight

Thursday, December 17, 2009
By SARAH RAHMAN
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

It's a holiday tradition for PATH riders moving in and out of the Pavonia-Newport station in Jersey City.

Those with a keen eye, or those who just happen to look out the window of the PATH train at the right time, will spot a 6-foot Christmas tree, decorated top to bottom with bright lights.

It's the only such tree in the PATH system, and it's been set up every holiday season for the past 40 years, says Peter Caggiano, terminal supervisor for the Hoboken PATH station.

"People look forward to (the tree) being put up. They ask when it will be lit or where they can see it. For the people who aren't too busy in their commute to see it, they really appreciate it," Caggiano said.

A new artificial tree is purchased every year by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, according to Ed Eastman, one of three employees with AM Single Construction Group, the contractor that sets up and decorates the tree.

The tree is lit every Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day and remains lit for 24 hours, seven days a week until the second week of January, when it is taken down, he added.

"The kids notice it a lot," said Juan Ramirez, a train engineer for 27 years. He enjoys overhearing the gasps of surprised riders when they spot the tree.

"The little ones love it. You hear them tell their parents that they just saw a tree in the window, and they get so excited," he said. "I think most people are happy that it's there."

Posted on: 2009/12/17 15:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017