Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fox News: Jersey City Parking Boot Drama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the old adage is true, "you can't fight city hall"

Posted on: 2009/12/16 22:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/15 22:21
Group:
Banned
Working for the Jersey City Parking Authority is the equivalent of working for a Midwestern Bank in Iowa that was stealing the farmland from Americans in the 1980's. These people should be embarassed. I have more respect for criminals who steal to support their drug habit. At least they have an excuse. What are these people's excuse for stealing money from city residents.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 21:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/16 20:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:

How dare they steal the time and property of private citizens?!?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/12/16 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
1. That is the worst written article I've ever read.

2. There is no justification for booting a private citizen's vehicle - ever. Towing, in situations where someone parks someplace and causes some type of hazard is a necessary evil. Otherwise, all boots should be met with metal saws and thrown in the Hudson.

How dare they steal the time and property of private citizens?!?

Posted on: 2009/12/16 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Booting on the first offense seems harsh to me but may be necessary in certain areas. What isn't okay is ticketing/booting when no offense has occurred.

+1

My personal favorite was when I got a ticket for being within 10 feet of a crosswalk, although my car was parked behind two other cars.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Booting in that part of town on the first offense is the only way to control the parking problem for the residents. The amount of commuters to that university during the week makes it impossible to park. The school should also try to convince the parking company that runs the parking lots for the school to lower their prices for students.

Booting on the first offense seems harsh to me but may be necessary in certain areas. What isn't okay is ticketing/booting when no offense has occurred.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
JC-Man I couldn't agree more. It was embarrassing watching him uncomfortably fumble around when asked about the booting issue. As if he has no clue to all the hundreds if not thousands of complaints over the last few years. Fulop , who was also in the piece, came across as a kowledgable, concerened council memeber.

I hope Beldini grows a conscious and finally tells the truth about Healy's bribe involvment.

JC_Man wrote:
Once again, in the video Healy comes across as a stooge that doesn't know what he's talking about or cares about the citizens of JC.[/quote]

Posted on: 2009/12/16 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Once again, in the video Healy comes across as a stooge that doesn't know what he's talking about or cares about the citizens of JC.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
good. the best way to end stupidity such as this is to shine the light on it as bright as possible. eventually the {small animals of bug/rodent nature} scurry away and the problem is solved.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 9:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
That looked a lot like the ones by NJCU. The signs that is.

Booting in that part of town on the first offense is the only way to control the parking problem for the residents. The amount of commuters to that university during the week makes it impossible to park. The school should also try to convince the parking company that runs the parking lots for the school to lower their prices for students.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 5:55

Fox News: Jersey City Parking Boot Drama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Parking Boot Drama Updated: Tuesday, 15 Dec 2009 JOHN DEUTZMAN FOX 5 INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER MYFOXNY.COM - Some people are outraged over Jersey City's aggressive parking enforcement. Even innocent people are being caught up in the drama. For example, a security camera video shows an officer from the Jersey City Parking Authority driving up in his scooter. He goes to the back of the scooter and takes out what's called a boot -- a gizmo that makes it impossible to move your car. The car belongs to Raj Ramsaywack, who has lived on the same block in Jersey City for 17 years. "I'm angry, I'm very angry," Ramsaywack said. He has a good reason to be angry. It was his car getting the boot that night. He got the boot and a $42 ticket for not having the required residential parking permit for his block. But he had the right permit -- and it was on his car. He shouldn't have gotten the ticket, the boot, or a nasty sign plastered on his window that says he has to pay $110 to get the boot off. "Yeah, when I spoke to the guy at the Parking Authority he said to me 'Unless you pay 110 bucks I'm not going to release the boot,'" Ramsaywack said. "I don't have 110 bucks, 152 bucks to spend on something I didn't do." Rick Ramdehal said the same thing happened to him. "It's very uncomfortable," Ramdehal said. "You would expect to have the local government working with you." Ramdehal told Fox 5 that his girlfriend's car got the boot for not displaying this legal visitor's permit, which he said was definitely hanging from the rearview mirror. He said it ruined his day. "I was on my way to pick up my daughter, my baby she's 14 months now," Ramdehal said. "We couldn't go we were late we were about three hours late because there was a boot on the car." Rick lives on the same block as Raj, an area where a controversial practice of booting on the first offense -- the moment you get the ticket -- is allowed. The city told Fox 5 things are strict here because residents want to be able to park their cars and not have the street clogged by people who don't live here. Throughout most of Jersey City, you don't get a boot until you owe the city at least three outstanding tickets. But a lot of times people say are booted by mistake on the first offense. Steven Fulop, an anti-booting city councilman, said the practice of booting cars is plain wrong. "I've been working on this for four years against the administration they used the parking booting policy as kind of a backdoor tax on residents," Fulop said. "From a visitor's standpoint, you're more than likely never to visit Jersey City again and from a resident's standpoint, it's actually infuriating it makes you despise the city." Last spring, the Jersey City Council decided the city should put a policy in place to pay back people who were improperly booted, going back to 2005. The problem is, the city said there have been so many computer changes and other issues that make it tough for them to find booting records past August of 2008 without doing a labor-intensive manual search. Fox 5 asked city officials how many mistakes they have made and they don't know. The booting issue is such a mess that residents such as David Kerans, another booting victim, are considering a class action suit against the city. Kerans is furious because he says the city sometimes refuses to refund the booting fee even when a judge dismisses a ticket. "If you are declared innocent in municipal court, if you have proof even if you are declared innocent that you haven't committed any offense the Parking Authority will not refund your boot fee," Kerans said. "They can do that because there is no way to challenge them in court on that? there's no procedure other than a class action lawsuit and that's cumbersome to arrange." Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said he is not a big fan of aggressive car booting. "It should be an activity of last resort," Healy said. "I think there's a little too much booting." Fox 5 asked the mayor about the booting records that seem to be hard to research past 2008. "I don't know if there are no records past 2008, but I'll find out," he said. "We'd like to have all of the records we possibly could I don't know what their records are." Back to Raj Ramsaywack: After Fox 5 got involved the Parking Authority admitted it made a mistake. He will still have to go to court, but the ticket should be dismissed. The $110 booting fee was refunded. As for Rick Ramdehal: The city claims Rick's girlfriend did not display the permit in the car as they said they did. Doesn't really matter -- like most busy people, they didn't bother to fight it and just swallowed the $42 ticket and the $110 boot fee. "There's probably millions of dollars the city has illegally taken from residents because at the end of the day they have to go to court during the day it's something a lot of people aren't willing to do and the city knows this," said Councilman Fulop. Jersey City officials said they are trying to cut down on aggressive booting and to clean up the image of their Parking Authority. One of the former bosses of the Parking Authority, James King, recently pleaded guilty to taking bribes.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 5:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017