Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
This is a fine example of an ironic beard. I found this image by googling "williamsburg beard".
Resized Image

clunkified wrote:
And a fine example of a Williamsburg dooooooooouche...PBR and all.

Hey you can now own the Pabst Brewing Company (PBR) with a bunch of others. Born out of the principle of crowdsourcing, two advertising agencies have come together for a first...to buy Pabst Brewing Co., brewers of over 25 well known beer brands. The asking price is $300 Million, not a small number, but through crowdsourcing pledges of as little as $5.00, the cost of a bottle of beer, this can be achieved based on the largest crowdsourced audience assembled, ever.

http://buyabeercompany.com/

Posted on: 2009/11/15 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
No hard feelings. We are all in this together. Obama told me so.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/11/14 19:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
Quote:

What the hell subculture has mandated beer, t-shirt, and facial hair requirements?

Everyone keeps saying this that and the other thing about hipsters or whatever, and you're all starting to sound above and beyond ridiculous.

Do you actually know anything outside of the life you once lived, and/or the life you are currently living?

Hey take it easy. I have friends, more like acquaintences at this point because they party hard and drink every day that still "DJ in the East Village", "Drink box wine" and "Get Tattoos". I get these people and it can be fun to spend a night out with them because they know a lot about good music generally and they get me free drinks. If you don't think there are requirements to membership you have never been to a concert at McCarren pool and seen how everyone looks the same.

No, I'm familiar with all of that, believe me.

No hard feelings. We are all in this together. Obama told me so.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
Quote:

What the hell subculture has mandated beer, t-shirt, and facial hair requirements?

Everyone keeps saying this that and the other thing about hipsters or whatever, and you're all starting to sound above and beyond ridiculous.

Do you actually know anything outside of the life you once lived, and/or the life you are currently living?

Hey take it easy. I have friends, more like acquaintences at this point because they party hard and drink every day that still "DJ in the East Village", "Drink box wine" and "Get Tattoos". I get these people and it can be fun to spend a night out with them because they know a lot about good music generally and they get me free drinks. If you don't think there are requirements to membership you have never been to a concert at McCarren pool and seen how everyone looks the same.

No, I'm familiar with all of that, believe me.

And yeah, NYC definitely has more douchebags per square foot, but douchebags from all walks of life. I don't really see that amongst the Jersey City crowd I am assuming everyone is talking about when they talk about hipsters.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 18:25
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2009/11/14 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/11/14 18:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
I see a general trend away from irony as a lifestyle choice. It already feels dated. Not to say I didn't appreciate the late 90s early 00s culture of irony. Being ironicaly informed was a quick way to feel smarter and more independent than other people, but as someone who collects obscure music I could never get over my dislike of the ironic people who were part of what used to be called the alternative music scene. Irony is a type of sarcasm, and sarcasm is inevitably toxic to all participants. Probably for the better we are leaving that era behind.

If irony and sarcasm are so toxic why are you objectifying some stupid looking guido kid as your avatar? Toxic.

I see your point. But I happen to be fascinated with Guido culture since arriving on the fair shores of Jersey. Going to the Jersey Shore is like happening upon an exotic tribe of head shrinkers in South America with all their unique forms of dress and communication. Ironic? Possibly. Hillarious? Absolutely.

Well unfortunately for you that kind of negates your entire first post.

Not entirely. I think there is still room for humor in the world. Humor that can be shared with the majority of people, not a humor that can only be appreciated by a subculture with mandated beer, t-shirt, and facial hair requirements.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
I see a general trend away from irony as a lifestyle choice. It already feels dated. Not to say I didn't appreciate the late 90s early 00s culture of irony. Being ironicaly informed was a quick way to feel smarter and more independent than other people, but as someone who collects obscure music I could never get over my dislike of the ironic people who were part of what used to be called the alternative music scene. Irony is a type of sarcasm, and sarcasm is inevitably toxic to all participants. Probably for the better we are leaving that era behind.

If irony and sarcasm are so toxic why are you objectifying some stupid looking guido kid as your avatar? Toxic.

I see your point. But I happen to be fascinated with Guido culture since arriving on the fair shores of Jersey. Going to the Jersey Shore is like happening upon an exotic tribe of head shrinkers in South America with all their unique forms of dress and communication. Ironic? Possibly. Hillarious? Absolutely.

Well unfortunately for you that kind of negates your entire first post.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 17:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/14 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
THey thought, "hey, check out these super nice but strange looking men. Oh, how nice, they're offering us blankets! Oooh, I'm a little itchy. Beads for land? Sounds reasonable, we LOVE beads! You guys are alright! Wait, what? You need us to move out of your way? Trail of tears? Hmmm. Who's this God you speak of, and why is he so into this Manifest Destiny? This is horrible, you're raping our land. Oh god, thunder water..."

Posted on: 2009/11/14 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
oh, and I shouldn't leave out the native americans.

Imagine what they thought when the white man (and by that I mean life approach not the skin color) showed up in New York Bay when they were peacefully collecting oysters etc.

Such an old argument.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 12:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
blah blah....

my white ass great great grandfather moved into JC like 150 years ago, much like others....and I am sure he was just as disappointed as you were when black people ( and by that I mean life approach not the skin color) started moving in.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/14 9:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/14 7:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
See crushthedemoniac, you've clearly missed my point. It's perfectly fine to have opinions, and openly express them. It's also perfectly fine for your opinions to differ from mine, and everybody else's opinions.

On this message board, my opinions may differ from those opinions of others. However, I also use this medium for other things such as to vent, to discuss crime, to review the restaurants and bars in JC, and to laugh and joke around.

You, on the other hand, ONLY surface when these types of threads show up. It just raises eyebrows and suspicions, that's all. As if you have an agenda. So please continue to express your opinions, but spread them around a bit to other topics of discussion, and I think those opinions of yours would become more credible.

Does that explain it better?

Ok so I should broaden my horizon you say? To up my credibility? Ok im gonna work on that, I'll jump in next b.s. post about something insignificant just to say I participated, and perhaps more people will like me. Tommy your a hoot. Also I dont own property in Guttenberg I just like the name and feel nobody pays it any mind.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC98 wrote:
I moved to Jersey City in 1998.
I moved to Jersey City in 1998 from Europe in order to work in New York City and to escape the pretense of the Big Apple.
Eleven years ago this was a \"down to earth place\". It was \"uncool\" to live here by Manhattan standard. That was exactly what I was looking for.
The last thing I wanted was uninspired white American middle class taste and the culture of entitlement that seems to be favorably exercised by millions of citizens in this country. By complaining about minor BS like toddlers about missing toys.
JC List is a wonderful example.
I never have moved to an area before and expected the area to change for me. A lot of Americans seem to have a different take on that.
In 1998 \"Hard Grove\" was a Cuban Cafe. Not the copy of

I am sure you can find some where on this earth where time stands still. Maybe a little cottage in the backwoods of some non white preppy way of life?
May i ask why you are still here if you are so unhappy?
Are you also unhappy with modern technology? Do you still use a payphone, record player, etc?

Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Mustaches are something I can not get behind.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Ironic styles galore.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Then I guess I've got just a few more inches to go before I'm no longer ironic.

Also I dunno why Rick Rubin is wearing a scarf, I haven't needed one since my beard grew down to my collar bone (which is a long length due to the fact that my chin is a bit weak because I got into an accident as a child that stunted the growth of my jaw bone).

Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wait, is famed record producer/OG Beastie Boys DJ/co-founder of Def Jam Record's beard ironic? Cuz I'm on my way to one just like his.
Resized Image

Decidedly unironic.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Wait, is famed record producer/OG Beastie Boys DJ/co-founder of Def Jam Record's beard ironic? Cuz I'm on my way to one just like his.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
do people really live in Guttenberg? I know it's an official town and everything but as a Jersey native, I have never once heard anyone say they were from there or live there.

Just wondering.

i grew up on 66th in WNY, which is a block away from guttenberg. tons of people live in guttenberg, it's the most densely populated place in america according to wikipedia. it's like the buffer zone between WNY and the nice part of North Bergen. their PD is pretty strict and have their hands full because of the liquor laws. it used to have the highest number of bars per capita in the 80s. one place sells beer till 2am, and is like a burkes bar up there for late night scragglers... like the rest of hudson county, their mayor was convicted of something illegal and is serving 3+ in a federal pen.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
So I got sick of shaving a few years ago, and now I have an ironic beard? Screw that, I'm a hairy guy of Italian/German descent, and quite frankly I'm not interested in shaving twice a day just so I can have dry skin and five o'clock shadow all the time anyways. I had to start shaving at the age of 12 years old, TWELVE YEARS OLD, for crissake.

And as far as all this yuppie/hipster nonsense. I let you yuppies live your lives and do whatever you want, and hey, good for you for reaching those goals of yours. If your content with life, then so be it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume, since I never actually got a straight answer, that I am what you would all consider a hipster (I have an "ironic" beard, tattoos (some of which are funny, like my BURRITO BANDITO tattoo) and listen to a lot of bands you've probably never heard of. Hey, big deal. I'm not still living in freshman year of high school (whatever that means?), I just never gave up on a lot of things that meant something to me. Music and my lifestyle (which is anything but hip, I'm seriously a socially awkward loser who loves music and food and art) wasn't something that could just be equated to a toy like a G.I. Joe that you just give up on.

This post was fueled by a relaxing day off, a tattoo of a bottle cap with a 13 on it and the words "HIGH LIFE" around the edges, and pancakes and sausage breakfast for dinner.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
do people really live in Guttenberg? I know it's an official town and everything but as a Jersey native, I have never once heard anyone say they were from there or live there.

Just wondering.

Guttenberg is often forgotten, for sure. I have driven through Guttenberg once or twice, and found it to be a very dense, urban town ... very hilly, narrow streets. Has a "boroughy" feel to it, almost feels like certain parts of Queens or Brooklyn. Some blocks seemed quite nice. I think there is a ferry there.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
See crushthedemoniac, you've clearly missed my point. It's perfectly fine to have opinions, and openly express them. It's also perfectly fine for your opinions to differ from mine, and everybody else's opinions.

On this message board, my opinions may differ from those opinions of others. However, I also use this medium for other things such as to vent, to discuss crime, to review the restaurants and bars in JC, and to laugh and joke around.

You, on the other hand, ONLY surface when these types of threads show up. It just raises eyebrows and suspicions, that's all. As if you have an agenda. So please continue to express your opinions, but spread them around a bit to other topics of discussion, and I think those opinions of yours would become more credible.

Does that explain it better?

Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
do people really live in Guttenberg?

Sure

That's where they make all the Bibles, I think.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Just wondering.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

+1, Chief. Crushthedemoniac judges people by appearance, and by the lifestyle they enjoy. That is ignorance, in my opinion. The people that he is judging are likely less judgemental than he is. And that....is "ironic"

Yeah, because tommy never judges people based on appearance or lifestyle.

LOL.

Excuse me? You just linked to a post of mine in which I berated somebody for being judgemental. You sure you got the right post?

And in which you separated the world into two categories: PROFESSIONALS, and those collecting a check from the gub'mint.

He dosnt realize what he says sometimes you have to excuse him. Its ok to judge anyone else as long as its not a yuppie or hipster or whatever else.

Crushthedemoniac, a piece of advice. If you contributed something to this board other than bashing certain types of people, you'd have more credibility.

Literally all of your posts are regarding gentrification, or yuppies, or starbucks. It gets very old. Why don't you express your thoughts on other aspects of the community such as the local restaurant, PATH service, or dog poop.

You have an agenda, and it gets people riled up.

Yes Tommyc you've got it all figured out, how do you do it. Why would I contribute anything to the path or dog poop posts? I think the path is great, gets me to work everyday right on time, and as far as dog poop I chuckle when I see one sitting on the sidewalk. These topics do not affect me in the slightest. And yes I have an agenda, I own real estate in Guttenberg and want everybody to leave JC and move there, hence the anti gentrification posts. Let me have my opinion and you have yours buddy.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

+1, Chief. Crushthedemoniac judges people by appearance, and by the lifestyle they enjoy. That is ignorance, in my opinion. The people that he is judging are likely less judgemental than he is. And that....is "ironic"

LOL.

Excuse me? You just linked to a post of mine in which I berated somebody for being judgemental. You sure you got the right post?

And in which you separated the world into two categories: PROFESSIONALS, and those collecting a check from the gub'mint.

He dosnt realize what he says sometimes you have to excuse him. Its ok to judge anyone else as long as its not a yuppie or hipster or whatever else.

Crushthedemoniac, a piece of advice. If you contributed something to this board other than bashing certain types of people, you'd have more credibility.

Literally all of your posts are regarding gentrification, or yuppies, or starbucks. It gets very old. Why don't you express your thoughts on other aspects of the community such as the local restaurant, PATH service, or dog poop.

You have an agenda, and it gets people riled up.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

LOL.

Where did I say anything of the sort in that post, or thread? .... ?

Posted on: 2009/11/13 21:08

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017