Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Uh oh. This thread seems familiar. Deja vu or SSDD?

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: <-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one. Quote:
kitten wrote: OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.
You might still be able to get it for $250k.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: <-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one. Quote:
kitten wrote: OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.
Me too. I laughed at one of the Delfornios many years ago when he said it was going to get like Brooklyn around here. I thought he was insane. I was too chicken to take on a lot of debt back then thinking if the RE market tanks I'm up sh**s creek. But no one has a crystal ball.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think he's also alluding to the prevailing sense of entitlement that some exhibit that because they now live here, those who were already here (e.g. latino people on Columbus Ave) need to get out or lamenting some of the things that often exist in cities (diversity, dollar stores, more noise) to appeal to their sensibilities. I personally want the City to improve (parks/greenspace, better streets/roads, varied retail) but I don't want it to morph into a carbon copy of Hoboken.

Yes that all fine and good, but in reality I see no difference between the two anymore. Give it a few more years and JC will have all those soccer moms and frat bros, just like Hoboken. Sad but most likely true.

Oh, stop it. You know you want to be a frat boy and bang a soccer mom.

Bang the soccer mom yes, be a frat boy??? No way jose.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
<-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one. Quote:

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think he's also alluding to the prevailing sense of entitlement that some exhibit that because they now live here, those who were already here (e.g. latino people on Columbus Ave) need to get out or lamenting some of the things that often exist in cities (diversity, dollar stores, more noise) to appeal to their sensibilities. I personally want the City to improve (parks/greenspace, better streets/roads, varied retail) but I don't want it to morph into a carbon copy of Hoboken.

Yes that all fine and good, but in reality I see no difference between the two anymore. Give it a few more years and JC will have all those soccer moms and frat bros, just like Hoboken. Sad but most likely true.

Oh, stop it. You know you want to be a frat boy and bang a soccer mom.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC98 wrote:

The other morning I sat by the fountain and I saw one of these guys who have the hair in their face and a full beard. I ask my friend about the intention and he says:\"It is not a beard. It is the ironic take on a beard.\" I wish you would take your ironic beard back to Alpine.

some guy grew facial hair. so what? people have ironic beards all over the globe, not just jersey city.

boo hoo.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Congrats on being the vanguard for gentrification.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
I dont mean to single you out Stani, its just that whenever this topic arises this is always the typical answer. I understand what the og poster is talking about, and its not that they want it to look like Ocean ave but also not like a mini Hoboken or Manhattan like it does now.

Maybe if your tunnel vision is particularly strong and you squint just right in a certain direction at the exact right time of the day you might find a handful of blocks (couple of handfuls? handsful? hands full?) that look like Manhattan.

No, Downtown JC is still decades away from being confused with Manhattan. A strip of (mostly ugly) high rises and pockets of brownstones can't begin to compensate for the blight that is most of downtown.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

I dont mean to single you out Stani, its just that whenever this topic arises this is always the typical answer. I understand what the og poster is talking about, and its not that they want it to look like Ocean ave but also not like a mini Hoboken or Manhattan like it does now.

I guess what I was trying to say is that when things change in a way that you don't like, there's usually a solution and often a silver lining. Yes, moving is a pain, but when you move from a more-yuppified area to a lesser one, you usually save money on rent. I'm sure there are other benefits as well. And keep in mind that one neighborhood's loss is another's gain.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

The same old stupid response.

Well I'm sorry, but if the OP's issue was only with VVP and not Jersey City as a whole, he/she should have been more explicit.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
blah, blah, blah.

these types of posts are just as annoying as the dog leash nonsense that prevails this site.

blame the white man. yawn.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

Well I'm sorry, but if the OP's issue was only with VVP and not Jersey City as a whole, he/she should have been more explicit.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stani wrote:
Don't be so blue, there are still plenty of parts of Jersey City that are rough like the good ole days. Maybe not downtown, but certainly pockets of Greenville, Bergen Lafayette and others. You could probably move to MLK Dr. and it would seem like '98 all over again.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
It's a stinking world because it lets the young get onto the old like you done. It's no world for an old man any more. What sort of a world is it at all? Men on the moon and men spinning around the earth and there's not no attention paid to earthly law and order no more.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Don't be so blue, there are still plenty of parts of Jersey City that are rough like the good ole days. Maybe not downtown, but certainly pockets of Greenville, Bergen Lafayette and others. You could probably move to MLK Dr. and it would seem like '98 all over again.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
"It is the ironic take on a beard.\" I wish you would take your ironic beard back to Alpine."

You are officially #OOPS#ing awesome. That's the best thing I ever heard anyone say on this forum. Things have changed a lot, it's true, some for the better but not all for the better.
I also think guys who rock beards, who are not Russian professors from the 19th Century are lame. be well.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Can't we all just get along. Our demographics will become even more mixed and diverse as time passes on.

http://www.richbenjamin.com/

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC98 wrote:
I moved to Jersey City in 1998.
I moved to Jersey City in 1998 from Europe in order to work in New York City and to escape the pretense of the Big Apple.
Eleven years ago this was a \"down to earth place\". It was \"uncool\" to live here by Manhattan standard. That was exactly what I was looking for.
The last thing I wanted was uninspired white American middle class taste and the culture of entitlement that seems to be favorably exercised by millions of citizens in this country. By complaining about minor BS like toddlers about missing toys.
JC List is a wonderful example.
I never have moved to an area before and expected the area to change for me. A lot of Americans seem to have a different take on that.
In 1998 \"Hard Grove\" was a Cuban Cafe. Not the copy of a Cuban Cafe. The plates were full, prices very reasonable, the music salsa and the waitress was Lisa. Lisa was an excellent waitress, known in the neighborhood, fast, funny and unpretentious.
\"Hard Grove\" is now a \"place to go\". Lisa is fired and the waiters wear skinny jeans. It is mostly pretty empty, atmosphere is missing and the food is mediocre.
But Newark Avenue has benches now. I guess black people didn\'t need a place to rest back in the day.
And Steven Fulop holds his Fund Raisers in the acutely authentic German beer garden where they all meet: the yuppies, the hippsters and the exerted pushchair owners. (It can\'t be any old pushchair though.) The folks you wanted to attract by giving it up for the investor. Our good old Jersey City.
In the morning I can watch the fitness idiots in Van Vorst Park. In fact, if I had the time, I could watch them all day. They are stretching and falling all over each other, because there is no bloody space in between them and the disciplined white husband (white is for me, by the way, a life approach, not the skin color) who is taking the pathetic idea of a dog for a walk. Because his nerve wracking blue eyed \"OHHH MY GOOOD THIS IS SOOO FUNNY\" girl friend/wife, he has stopped bedding a while ago, makes him do it.
The other morning I sat by the fountain and I saw one of these guys who have the hair in their face and a full beard. I ask my friend about the intention and he says:\"It is not a beard. It is the ironic take on a beard.\" I wish you would take your ironic beard back to Alpine.
We also have pet photographers in the neighborhood now. And little shops where people can buy shit they don\'t need to keep the economy going. Meanwhile they are complaining about stores on Newark Avenue where you can -actually- buy things you do need. Mostly for a dollar. And that was fine the past decade. Everybody was happy with that. Not anymore.

+1000 . Best JClist post ever, im being 100% serious.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe you should move to Newark. I hear there's a lot of positive things going on there.

Oh and I've been here since 96 so

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC98 wrote:
I moved to Jersey City in 1998 from Europe in order to work in New York City and to escape the pretense of the Big Apple.
Eleven years ago this was a \"down to earth place\". It was \"uncool\" to live here by Manhattan standard. That was exactly what I was looking for.
The last thing I wanted was uninspired white American middle class taste and the culture of entitlement that seems to be favorably exercised by millions of citizens in this country. By complaining about minor BS like toddlers about missing toys.
I never have moved to an area before and expected the area to change for me. A lot of Americans seem to have a different take on that.
In 1998 \"Hard Grove\" was a Cuban Cafe. Not the copy of a Cuban Cafe. The plates were full, prices very reasonable, the music salsa and the waitress was Lisa. Lisa was an excellent waitress, known in the neighborhood, fast, funny and unpretentious.
\"Hard Grove\" is now a \"place to go\". Lisa is fired and the waiters wear skinny jeans. It is mostly pretty empty, atmosphere is missing and the food is mediocre.
But Newark Avenue has benches now. I guess black people didn\'t need a place to rest back in the day.
And Steven Fulop holds his Fund Raisers in the acutely authentic German beer garden where they all meet: the yuppies, the hippsters and the exerted pushchair owners. (It can\'t be any old pushchair though.) The folks you wanted to attract by giving it up for the investor. Our good old Jersey City.
In the morning I can watch the fitness idiots in Van Vorst Park. In fact, if I had the time, I could watch them all day. They are stretching and falling all over each other, because there is no bloody space in between them and the disciplined white husband (white is for me, by the way, a life approach, not the skin color) who is taking the pathetic idea of a dog for a walk. Because his nerve wracking blue eyed \"OHHH MY GOOOD THIS IS SOOO FUNNY\" girl friend/wife, he has stopped bedding a while ago, makes him do it.
We also have pet photographers in the neighborhood now. And little shops where people can buy shit they don\'t need to keep the economy going. Meanwhile they are complaining about stores on Newark Avenue where you can -actually- buy things you do need. Mostly for a dollar. And that was fine the past decade. Everybody was happy with that. Not anymore.

You moved to JC, you didn't purchase it. They have caves in Mongolia which might be more to your liking. And fewer fit, educated white people than around here.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/19 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
So you don't go to Hard Grove anymore because the waitresses wear skinny jeans? I don't go because the food sucks.

I recently moved here, but my parents met in Jersey City as Polish immigrants 25 years ago and my grandfather had been living here as a political exile for 25 years before that. You "replaced" other people the same way the "white middle class" is "replacing" you. A decade doesn't make you a native anymore than it makes me a returnee.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
There is an article on CNN today talking about how the South Bronx was transformed from what they called "America's worst slum" back in the 70's. If you look at the pictures you can tell that this transformation was necessary. I have not been in Jersey City all that long but from what I have heard there were areas of Jersey City where no one wanted to walk down the streets and there was massive gang and drug activity.

Are you suggesting that Jersey City would be better off if people did not develop the area?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/09/real_ ... hood_turnaround/index.htm

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Yep, that's it exactly: the smug I-was-here-first attitude that so often shows up on JC List.

BTW, being here 11 years doesn't make you a long-timer. I also moved here in '98 and I'm happy with the neighborhood improvements.

No, the Hard Grove isn't what it was. I guess that's white people's fault.

I think it depends on who you know and hang with. We've been here 12 and don't feel like "old timers". And I don't miss the drug dealers across the street or the latin music blasting out of windows at all hours or the break ins by the junkie friends of our neighbors.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC98 wrote:

i love u

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, that's it exactly: the smug I-was-here-first attitude that so often shows up on JC List.

BTW, being here 11 years doesn't make you a long-timer. I also moved here in '98 and I'm happy with the neighborhood improvements.

No, the Hard Grove isn't what it was. I guess that's white people's fault.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I liked when other people's misery was what made the area interseting. (been here since 88'). I miss asking someone something and getting the cold,dead stare native to the third world. I also enjoyed the rampant gunplay of 2 decades ago downtown. I miss the chromium pits and the burned out cars....

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:18

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017