Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: KIOSK BADGERING AT NEWPORT MALL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing is worse than some distant relative pushing Avon or Mary Kay.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
hilarious ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122826483720274329.html

i love the way they accost me in the mall ... right by macy's ... next time i'll offer $50 ... is that the going rate?

Posted on: 2009/11/8 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i still get harassed by those hand/face cream folks whenever i go up to the livingston mall...haven't been bothered by them at newport lately, but they are one in the same. they find ways to suck you in and make you feel obligated to buy something from them because they gave you a free sample of something you don't even need, or to just get them to leave you alone! i love the "today only special" at swisa beauty's stand in livingstong....special is $120+ for hand cream, dead sea salt scrub (which they say is fantastic for eczema but found out it only made it worse), and a manicure/pedicure set that you can buy at sephora for under 10 bux. lame. i bought the sea salt scrub on ebay for $6.00 two years ago. they want $40+ at the stands. they don't like when i tell them i can buy their crap on ebay for cheaper.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
From that other message board...

Quote:
"shalom yoffa" = "hello beautiful [f]" or if you want to say it to a guy, "yafuve" = beautiful [m] Say that to the women and you'll get a real confused look.. and sometimes they may respond back in hebrew going a mile-a-minute. At which point you can say "mestool" = stoned/high/at one with the earth.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 21:13
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Those horrid girls in our mall would not make a dime in any kind of prostitution. Perhaps they could get lucky in the wee hours of the morning at some dive bar at closing time.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
It's funny, this is also the subject of a lengthy thread on another message board I frequent.

Last week I was in the mall and the lady goes, "may I ask you a question?" and I said, "no thanks." She then screamed, "OHHHH HEYYYY COOL GUY!!!" at me across the mall.

Also, a bunch of these girls that worked at the Livingston Mall were arrested for being involved in some prostitution ring.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 19:50
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
After years of abuse from these people I've finally found a way to shut the mouths of those horrid face cream people that badger me 5 days a week on my way to work. Without breaking my stride and with a large smile I say " I'm terribly sorry - I only purchase face cream from Palestine." Finally, a way to just leave these horrid fools speechless!

Posted on: 2009/11/8 19:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
This thread has been so hilarious that I just had to comment. I usually don't have too many problems with these people in Newport...just walk straight ahead and give a slight shake of the head will get most of them to leave you alone. Some of them can be very annoying and not take no for an answer and continue to badger you and those ones are the ones that get on my last nerve and I try to avoid.

I had one really crazy experience not too long ago, maybe 2-3 weeks ago, I went over to the entrance on the second floor that has all of the phone providers and food opposite the escalators to the food court. I was going to get a pretzel from Auntie Anne's or whatever that place is called and after I got my pretzel this Indian women (I've seen her before but she had never bothered me) at her stand next to these establishments walks out in front of me and asks if I would take a look at her stuff (she has like little jewelry pieces) and I just shook my head no...but what she did next was a whole new experience...she actually put her arm around my waste and started to pull me in the direction of her kiosk! ... I couldn't believe that this was happening...I was being kidnapped in the middle of the mall!... it was a very awkward situation because I try to be extra nice to people I don't know but this was a little over board.

I was able to extract myself from the situation by kind of spinning out of her hold and telling her i was in a hurry and had to go but sorry! I hate that I feel bad about being harassed. lol.

Anyway...that experience kind of stayed with me for awhile and had me shaking my head. People don't tend to bother me much cause I've been told I look kind of mean lol...but I'm totally not(my conscience kicks the shit out of me for days if I do anything mean to someone who didn't deserve it)...I'm just usually lost in my own thoughts and am not paying attention to anything going on around me so I kind of just have this blank expression... and I can't stand most people but I'm usually very nice! lol

Posted on: 2008/11/30 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Most audacious in my experience is the VERY good looking French accented guy near Penny's who grabs my hand and starts buffing my nails while feeling my palms for callouses all the while looking soulfully into my eyes from a distance of about 5 inches.
It's happened 3 times and he's hard to tear away from because he keeps an iron grip on your hand! It's positively EROTIC.

Next time he might get kissed!

It's the first time I've seen X-rated sales technique!

You might want to take a cold shower....
Some dude comes out of nowhere and starts rubbing any body part without your consent constitues "Rape" !

Posted on: 2008/11/25 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
The boys selling boxes of candy are at it, full-on, outside linens n things lately. Beware!

Posted on: 2008/11/25 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Most audacious in my experience is the VERY good looking French accented guy near Penny's who grabs my hand and starts buffing my nails while feeling my palms for callouses all the while looking soulfully into my eyes from a distance of about 5 inches.
It's happened 3 times and he's hard to tear away from because he keeps an iron grip on your hand! It's positively EROTIC.

Try this line on him. "HEY!!! I'LL GIVE YOU 20 MINUTES TO STOP THAT"!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/11/20 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/11/20 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I work in the Garden State Plaza. We used to have a dead sea salt kiosk outside our store. The customers were in such a hurry to get past them, that we saw a huge decline in foot traffic. We complained to mall management, and they were moved to a different wing.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
On a side note about fliers, I had 3 thick, political, glossy fliers stuck to my windshield after a rain storm and a subsequent hot day. I drove to their headquarters (Jersey near Newark) and made them REMOVE them.

Yeah, I can be a C sometimes.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 7:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
To get back on topic, since I wasn't the only one who's been bothered by that kiosk, I sent an e-mail to

jdaniel@simon.com

Whether it makes a difference is to be foreseen. I asked if they could tone down the sales pitch.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 7:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/24 1:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
This may seem a little off topic, but when I lived in Portland, Maine, there were _very_ few public garbage cans and lots of litter always, but there was one garbage can across from my building and I used to use it for my dog's poop. One day it disappeared. I found the e-mail of the sanitation department and explained what happened. I said I was a responsible citizen who just wanted to throw out my dog's waste and I asked for a new garbage can. Coming from NJ, I expected no response.
A reply came in the form of a forward to someone else in the dept, like, "Bill, do you know anything about the garbage can on High St. near Cumberland Ave?" Then Bill replied, copying me, "No, I didn't know it was gone. We'll get a replacement."

No joke-- two days later, there was a new garbage can.

Sure, it was a smaller city, but it was a city. I was impressed with the level of response. It would be nice to get one garbage can on Erie between 1st and 8th.

Why don't you ask for garbage cans through this site?
http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx

You would be surprised, what you can achieve through a formal request.

A few months ago I requested, through that site, for a traffic light to be installed on 9th St and Marin, and with a little help from Steve Fulop [actually a lot of help from him :) ] I got my request granted. The traffic light will be installed in early 2009.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
This may seem a little off topic, but when I lived in Portland, Maine, there were _very_ few public garbage cans and lots of litter always, but there was one garbage can across from my building and I used to use it for my dog's poop. One day it disappeared. I found the e-mail of the sanitation department and explained what happened. I said I was a responsible citizen who just wanted to throw out my dog's waste and I asked for a new garbage can. Coming from NJ, I expected no response.
A reply came in the form of a forward to someone else in the dept, like, "Bill, do you know anything about the garbage can on High St. near Cumberland Ave?" Then Bill replied, copying me, "No, I didn't know it was gone. We'll get a replacement."

No joke-- two days later, there was a new garbage can.

Sure, it was a smaller city, but it was a city. I was impressed with the level of response. It would be nice to get one garbage can on Erie between 1st and 8th.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
The people who litter have no interest in putting their trash in the can where it belongs. I have seen many an idiot litter RIGHT NEXT TO a garbage can.

If you are the little mustached kid or one of his fat little girlfriends i gave a lecture to for littering your McDonalds 1 foot away from a garbage can you know what I am talking about.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yeah, I really think this should be illegal.
And regarding the flyers not making it to the trash...I was just thinking earlier today about the lack of trash cans in Jersey City. In Manhattan they are on every street corner (and sometimes in the middle). The only trash cans that I have found near me is at 5th and Jersey, Hamilton Sq Park, and on Newark and Erie...
why is that?

In 2000, we had a lot more trash cans on the street. When they get hit by a car, they are not replaced. I don't know whether this is simply no one's job, or whether someone is being paid to do this and isn't.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 19:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 3:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jillianp wrote:
Quote:

aloria wrote:
The car flyer thing is the worst. Lots of people don't even take those flyers to the garbage and just throw them in the street. When those glossy cards get wet they glue themselves to your windshield; I've had to spend a good 20 minutes scraping bits of paper off my glass with a razor blade because someone left like 3 of those cards on my car on a wet day.

And regarding the flyers not making it to the trash...I was just thinking earlier today about the lack of trash cans in Jersey City. In Manhattan they are on every street corner (and sometimes in the middle). The only trash cans that I have found near me is at 5th and Jersey, Hamilton Sq Park, and on Newark and Erie...
why is that?

This has been brought up at the Harsimus Cove Association meetings..We had the director of the incinerator authority come and he explained that people abuse trash cans on the corners by putting their home trash in and then they overflow. Sort of difficult to enforce I guess unless they look for mail in the trash.
I thought he said they would revisit this idea and I was under the impression they would put trash cans along Erie...that was at least 6 months ago.
I think we need them, the neighborhood is full of trash.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

aloria wrote:
The car flyer thing is the worst. Lots of people don't even take those flyers to the garbage and just throw them in the street. When those glossy cards get wet they glue themselves to your windshield; I've had to spend a good 20 minutes scraping bits of paper off my glass with a razor blade because someone left like 3 of those cards on my car on a wet day.

why is that?

Posted on: 2008/11/19 15:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/11/19 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
JP. I agree, the car flyers have been out of control in the past few weeks. I'm getting like 3 or 4 each day... And when you look down the street, you just see tons of these flyers. Where are the tree-huggers when you need them?

In regards to the "Candy thugs"...
I had a situation develop around Xmas time last year. I was doing some last minute shopping a block away from WTC, and my friend and I were approached by 7 or 8 kids in their late teens. They asked us to buy candy for their school, and I shook my head. Half a block later my friend had to hit an atm, so we dipped inside a bank's "atrium". I turned around and saw that the kids were there waiting for us to come out.

When we walked out of the bank, I tried to simply walk past them, and one of the guys tried to put his hand out to try and stop me. It seemed like a scheme, where the one dude would stop me while the others would circle behind. I wrist-locked him and pushed his arm away quickly, and we took off down the street. The kids followed us, yelling, well, some choice racial slurs. I didn't see any cops around, so I decided to just get loud and make a scene, hoping it would attract more attention, and these guys would just get scared off... It worked, I turned on the psycho mode and started screaming at these guys. My friend didn't know what I had planned, and started to grab my arms and turn me away from them, adding to the bluf.

They ran in the opposite direction, hopefully thinking twice about pulling that crap on someone else...

So be careful of those candy selling thugs. Be suspicious if anyone tries to stop you on the street. One guy will try and stop you while the others grab your wallet or worse...

Posted on: 2008/11/19 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Just whatever you do, don't flier my car. Late last week my car was fliered by Havana Alma de Cuba restaurant (as apparently alot of other cars were) and while I was at work it rained. When I got to my car the next day and saw the flier, I tried to take it off but it was stuck to my windshield. I tried to razor it off but there are still white streaks of paper. I saw other people's cars with this too. It really should be illegal. At least it is on the passengers side and not obstructing the driver's side view, but really! This has got to stop. It is my property, not yours and I didn't give you permission to stick something to my car.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
JC Fridays is a quarterly all-day event happening on the first Friday of March, June, September and December.

Venues, galleries and businesses all over the city host free art events in all genres, including visual art, dance, music and spoken word.

The next JC Friday is coming up on December 5.

Jersey City is full of amazing talent. Check it out. And if you aren't in town that day, click on the websites of the venues that are holding events to see what else is happening in town.

http://www.jcfridays.com

Posted on: 2008/11/18 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Your cause is noble and I admire that you work hard to promote the Arts in Jersey City, the city needs more people to do that. It's strictly the method of guerrilla marketing that I disagree with, and your right, there is a respectful way to hand out flyers and then there are the ones who block your path and invade your space and I suppose it's only really the ones that are rude enough to almost touch the person with their handouts or cause a person to walk out of the way to get around them that annoy me. Someone else posted above that the Mall Kiosk guy actually grabbed the persons arm in an attempt to get them to stop, this is really unacceptable behavior, and those people should find out who to write a letter to whether it be the company that runs the kiosks or better yet the corporation that runs the mall.
I normally don't just give money to people or causes because I have a mortgage and student loans from hell but if there are other ways to support the arts like attend the openings or galleries I'm down with that. Maybe there is a website you can point me to.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
1djcview said "as far as the people who hand you stuff when you get off the PATH train, if you don't want it, DON'T TAKE IT. Jersey City has become an attractive place to live at least partly because of its cultural amenities, including restaurants and art events, so flyering at a train station is to be expected. If you don't want someone offering you a flyer about a quality-of-life element of your community, then have the limo drop you at home. Purposely stepping on someone's flyers is beyond cynical; it's violent and makes you a jerk.

What is an "acceptable" way to make a living?"

1djcview, just to clear the air here I already take your advice and DONT TAKE ANY FLYERS FROM THE BADGERERS. For the record I am now where near wealthy enough to " Have the limo drop you at home" and to assume so is incredibly presumptuous and arrogant of you in an extremely liberal way. My complaint lies in the fact that I very strongly dislike people shoving $hit in my face in a gross attempt to influence my spending decisions, and in doing so invading my personal space. If you want to reach me in an effective way buy an F#$%^ stamp and mail it to me!
I have had these scumbags sing and dance in an attempt to get me to take their stupid flyers. In line with your advice I still don't take it and in fact, when the BADGERER said " I do all this and you still don't take it?" I said " I don't even like when you guys don't sing and dance.
I think that people should be fined for unsolicited harassment by way of shoving paper in your face.
I know that it is a free country and people will continue to do this but, because it is a free country a have a variety of options in the way I react, as do all people. I do not feel bad for them, it is a profession that they chose when they decided to skip class or drop out of HS or have sex and get pregnant when they were 15. These are all choices and they created their own destiny.
Don't get me wrong I love local business in the Grove area and want nothing but to support the good businesses that improve the area and I look forward to the day when all the dollar stores and discount crap stores that don't have the work ethic to fix their decaying signs are gone.
As far as "What is an acceptable way to make a living?" I suppose "Living" means different things to different people so that's impossible to answer. I would say if the government isn't paying you any money and you don't live on the streets then you are making a living.

My suggestion that you have the limo drop you home was facetious. I didn't think you actually had one. You just sounded like someone who was a little out of their element.

Your shell seems to be pretty thick, but I'll take a crack at it:

Mail the flyer to you? You're probably not on the list, but it wouldn't matter. I promote the arts in Jersey City, and sometimes I am that person. Flyering is done in addition to using mailing lists, online bulletin boards (like JC List), web advertising, Facebook, Myspace, newspapers, print and whatever promotional avenues can be identified. It is standard personal, public outreach to local audiences and it works.

Promoting the arts in Jersey City includes telefunding, marketing, ad sales, and sometimes flyering. I do it at Grove Street, I do it at Journal Square. I do it in Greenville, in the Heights, in McGinley Square, in Marion, Westside and Bergen-Lafayette. I do it because cultural activities help improve everyone's quality of life and supporting organizations that produce and promote those activities is my work, even if some people are less than receptive. I'm glad I've never had anyone disrespect my work by stepping on my flyers. I would expect that kind of behavior from an immature high school drop-out type, you know what I mean?

I know some people aren't the smoothest. It can be annoying to me too when I'm on the other end of it. I don't feel sorry for them either. I just accept that they are promoting their business or whatever it is. At the same time, I take responsibility for my own mood, which is not their problem.

If you don't like having to experience flyering at the train station, I have to wonder why you are living in downtown Jersey City. You're right. It's not going to stop.

If you would like to support the arts in Jersey City by making a donation to a creative, growing non-profit organization that continues to play a big part in making Jersey City a cultural destination, PM me.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok - it's now almost 7pm - we will be having a quick bite to eat here in the city and shall pass the sea salt guys around 8:30 walking home - I'm all set to say Fishsticks - and I may add lollipops too! It's good to turn a really negative experience into a bit of fun. And yes, I anticipate a post from the folks that enjoy the badgering shortly - I'll answer your question in advance - yes, I've got a great life - thanks for asking! Again, just trying to have a bit of fun and wish to feel better when faced with these jerks tonight.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 23:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/5 20:02
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aloria wrote:
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
To everyone else - any good responses that we can all say in fun? I still kinda like " I like lollipops!".

Say "FISHSTICKS!!!" in the most enthusiastic voice you can muster.

well, i tried 'FISHSTICKS!!!!!'. it apparently scared him, and i now have dead sea salt in my eye.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 23:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
Kids selling candy and cheerleaders. fakes. watch out. it's a profit scam.

I had mentioned an experience I had on another thread about the kids selling candy. I witnessed the kids selling candy for their basketball jerseys get off the train in Washington Heights, meet up with an older guy and start counting the money together. The man put some money in his pockets, and gave some to the kids. They then parted ways. Now I was able to witness all this because they did it in front of the school in which I was teaching at the time. It really is a scam and real sad that people use children to make money like that. If the kids themselves were out to make a buck (although the cheerleaders in traffic is extremely dangerous) I feel would show initiative. However the adults using children to make money, is inexcusable.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 22:13

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017