Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: BackFlow Preventor installation policy from JC Office of the Construction Official?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/13 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Hi -- Our building is being flagged for non-compliance again after not installing the backflow preventor a couple years ago before we moved in. I read through this thread, but since the discussion trailed off quite a while ago, I was wondering if anyone had more recent information to share.

If you received a letter of non-compliance, how is your building handling it? Has anyone gone ahead with the work recently that can share their experience? Any other advice? Has anyone not done the work and experienced any repercussions?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 15:23

Re: BackFlow Preventor installation policy from JC Office of the Construction Official?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
The white pipe is a PVC drain pipe - if there is back flow into the supply, the silver valve will open and drain all of the water out to the floor via the white pipe, instead of it back flowing into the supply. While this should never happen, make sure there is a floor drain near by and that it's clear. Occasionally, there might be a small drip from the pipe, but it shouldn't happen often; if it does, the back flow valve isn't properly sealing closed.

If there's air in the system after installation, everyone in the building (especially top floors) need to open all water outlets and let the water run for a few minutes to vent the air from the system.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
My God,

I think that colorful rig is the same one they use to prevent meltdown at Indian Point.

Does it prevent the Huson from flooding Paulus Hook?

But I know full well 12 G's is no laughing matter for a useless set of valves.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 15:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/6 4:42
Group:
Registered Users
Got the back flow preventer....can't use any sinks now...the lines are full of air and no one can figure out why or get rif of it. Anyone else seen this happen?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 4:50

Re: Looking for other owners/buildings dealing with the backflow preventor issue...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The white PVC pipe is some sort of pressure relief pipe. It dripped the first few days, then stopped.

Nah, the confidence is that I won't have the city gnawing at my heels.

Posted on: 2009/11/3 15:56

Re: Looking for other owners/buildings dealing with the backflow preventor issue...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Where does the white pipe go to? It looks like it goes nowhere.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
I just had one put in and spent $12,000.

See it here:

Resized Image

You must feel such a surge of confidence now that you know that your drinking water won't mix with the sprinkler water. For a mere $12,000 mmm mmm good. Did you have to connect this bad boy to a landline that leads to the fire department in case you have a fire?

Posted on: 2009/11/1 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
It's gonna blow captain!

Posted on: 2009/11/1 21:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I just had one put in and spent $12,000.

See it here:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/11/1 17:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
As a property owner that is looking at over $50,000, I too take offense at that statement.

It all depends on the size line that you have, and just changing the backflow preventor rarely solves the problem. The City can demand pumps, new piping to the building, upgrades to the sprinlker system, all at the property owners' expense with virtually no regard or compassion for the property owner. Its not like we can float a bond or raise taxes to cover the expense. After all we did not cause the problem, but are saddled with the solution.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 11:37
Group:
Registered Users
I take great offensive to your comment about just getting the backflow preventor already. Speaking for a small building that is going to be hit with a $30,000 cost for installation, this is crippling. We are looking to talk to other buildings who have gone through with installation or those weighing their options. Please keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
I know what I quote people & can prob tell you what everyone there should be paying for this installation.

So you're a plumber? NOW I see why insist that people "just install the backflow already". For your information, we've researched cheaper quotes and they didn't comply with the city code nor did they provide the city mandated inspection. So, perhaps you fall into THAT category of plumbers.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I know what I quote people & can prob tell you what everyone there should be paying for this installation.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
It doesnt cost $11,000 to install idiot

Last time I checked, you didn't live in my building so you have have no clue what range our quotes were in. Also, I bet you didn't attend the city hall meeting regarding this issue. So again, you don't know what others were quoted. But hey, I'm an idiot. Educate me.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It doesnt cost $11,000 to install idiot

Posted on: 2009/10/12 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Whats the big deal, just get the backflow preventor already

Only $11,000 - easy right?! If it's not a big deal to you, ignore the post.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whats the big deal, just get the backflow preventor already

Posted on: 2009/10/12 18:40

Looking for other owners/buildings dealing with the backflow preventor issue...

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 11:37
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
I'm looking for other owners/buildings who are dealing with Jersey City trying to enforce the backflow preventor code. Our building is looking to talk with others going through this to talk about how they are dealing with it and share with others what we've done. Please PM me if you want to chat.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ECH wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Thanks the city of Jersey City. After we've moved half of our things out, our buyer's mortgage commitment was cancelled due to the lack of clarity on the backflow preventer issue. So not only do we have to install a completely useless device, but we are now stuck living here for another 2-3 years because we'll never get a better offer. I f*cking hate this town.

I know it will be little consolation, but be assured that
you are not alone in hating this town.
Mostly everybody does.

This backflow preventer thing is a great example of
JC"s ever more inventive creepiness. I want a totally new council
(excepting Fulop -- the only one who deserves being out of jail.)
And keep a lookout: Schundler wants back in. Good Grief!

What we need is a backflow preventer against JC
career politicians and drones. They're the real sewage around here.

Actually, knowing that other people hate it here as much as I do is sort of consoling. I think we should start a support group. I will bring piles of JC memorabilia such as lottery tickets, empty beer bottles, Healy and Smith's election signs and plumbing devices that were deemed useless. Then we'll do target practice with these items using a rifle from Wal-Mart. The target practice should come in handy as our police force is shrinking...oh and there's always 2012 when we'll need to shoot mayan zombies.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Thanks the city of Jersey City. After we've moved half of our things out, our buyer's mortgage commitment was cancelled due to the lack of clarity on the backflow preventer issue. So not only do we have to install a completely useless device, but we are now stuck living here for another 2-3 years because we'll never get a better offer. I f*cking hate this town.

I know it will be little consolation, but be assured that
you are not alone in hating this town.
Mostly everybody does.

This backflow preventer thing is a great example of
JC"s ever more inventive creepiness. I want a totally new council
(excepting Fulop -- the only one who deserves being out of jail.)
And keep a lookout: Schundler wants back in. Good Grief!

What we need is a backflow preventer against JC
career politicians and drones. They're the real sewage around here.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 15:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
It seems to be in limbo for the moment as the city government and jcmua look for political cover from all the city corruption. This gift to preferred union patrons will certainly come back to haunt us when enough time has passed. Steve Fulop - I will only vote for you again if you force the jcmua and office of construction code to drop this for good.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 15:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
PLEASE--does anyone know "the latest" about this and what other buildings are doing? Please share your experiences...

Posted on: 2009/10/6 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WilkinsNJ wrote:
Hi, I am the NJ representative for Wilkins, one of the most reputable backflow preventor manufacturers in the industry. I have been following this new rule closely. I also understand the frustrations of building owners trying to go through this process. If anyone needs more information or help with your building, please feel free to contact me.

Yea, I need help selling my condo. While the installation of this useless device is in limbo - no FHA loans will be approved on homes with less then 10 units. Didn't think this would hurt real estate did ya Healy?

Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Any luck with the lawsuits on this one? That seems like the best route. If nothing else, the suit could freeze the 90 day period.

I'm not sure the 1700 could qualify for a class action, but it's worth contacting a firm.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/22 12:40
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I am the NJ representative for Wilkins, one of the most reputable backflow preventor manufacturers in the industry. I have been following this new rule closely. I also understand the frustrations of building owners trying to go through this process. If anyone needs more information or help with your building, please feel free to contact me.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bigpappapump wrote:
It has been suggested to me that instead of complying with this ridiculous backflow preventor scheme, the 1700 buildings that are being targeted by the city for annual testing fees instead each pony up $1000 to a lawyer who then sues the city. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than putting in some over-engineered back-check.

This is a code that hasn't been enforced since it went on the books.
It is a code that is not enforced in any other major NJ city.
If it is so important, how is that new condos and conversions received Certificates of Occupancy without the special backflow preventor?
Perhaps the JCMUA and Office of Construction Code should be sued for failure to fulfill it's governmental responsibilities?

While I appreciate Fulop getting involved with this (I don't think any of the other councilmen would) all he's basically doing is giving us more time to comply, when what he should be doing is to have the Office drop the entire thing. No one needs to be paying $60,000 for something so unimportant at this time.

If context is accurate, this is the least expensive and possibly most reasonable suggestion I've heard on the topic so far...

Posted on: 2009/6/5 13:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/13 0:09
Group:
Registered Users
I am a licensed sprinkler engineer in NJ and could help shed some light on what needs to be done if your device is determined to be non-testable. I have had a discussion directly with a representative of the JCMUA water engineering department and know what they will require. Anyone who would like assistance with this can feel free to contact me at gs@schellengineering.com.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 10:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
It has been suggested to me that instead of complying with this ridiculous backflow preventor scheme, the 1700 buildings that are being targeted by the city for annual testing fees instead each pony up $1000 to a lawyer who then sues the city. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than putting in some over-engineered back-check.

This is a code that hasn't been enforced since it went on the books.
It is a code that is not enforced in any other major NJ city.
If it is so important, how is that new condos and conversions received Certificates of Occupancy without the special backflow preventor?
Perhaps the JCMUA and Office of Construction Code should be sued for failure to fulfill it's governmental responsibilities?

While I appreciate Fulop getting involved with this (I don't think any of the other councilmen would) all he's basically doing is giving us more time to comply, when what he should be doing is to have the Office drop the entire thing. No one needs to be paying $60,000 for something so unimportant at this time.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 21:34

Re: The Latest on the Backflow Prevention

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/2 0:10
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone had experience (good/bad) with plumbers installing these backflow preventers and/or experience (good/bad) getting the certified inspection letter stating they're testable?

I was at the meeting and remember something about there being several kinds, and that the least expensive was called RPZ (?) and that was all we really needed - and that the most expensive types could cost $30-40K. We don't want to waste that kind of money but we also don't want to install something we can't get certified, so we're just looking for some recommendations.

Steve's letter, while helpful, only addresses whether or not your backflow preventer is testable - it doesn't really address what the process would be in the event you don't have *any* backflow preventer installed.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 2:53

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017