Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: WSJ: The Dependent Housewife from Mumbai -Inability to work in America comes with an unexpected gift
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
I understand that I misused the term 'backlog' in this case, although not completely as out of the 140,000 green cards allocated to employment based, a significant number remains unused at the end of the fiscal year. But you are right, the main cause of the wait is the delta between the number of applicants and the number of green cards available.

bodhipooh,
USCIS published the following document recently (page 3):
http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/New%20Structure/3rd%20Level%20(Left%20Nav%20Children)/Green%20Card%20-%203rd%20Level/Pending%20Form%20I485%20Reports.pdf
The number of applicants from 2002 still waiting for a green card is not negligeable.
As for the family based green card, I meant a green card holder sponsoring a foreigner, not a US citizen sponsoring a foreigner. The wait for this category is more than 5 years.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 1:55

Re: WSJ: The Dependent Housewife from Mumbai -Inability to work in America comes with an unexpected gift
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I think the term "backlog" often has the connotation that an entity is not doing this fast enough. In this case, it is simply a quota system and there are not enough Green Cards for the people that want them. It is a backlog, but it is not the fault of the Immigration Service. It is simply a numbers game. They can only give out as many Green Cards as the law allows.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Manu,

You can not lump all types of visa requests into a single group. Not all employment-based visas are the same, nor are all family-related visas the same.

For example, the process to achieve LPR status based on marriage (after the initial two-year conditional visa) is normally processed in under a year. That's how long it took for my wife (a Mexican national) to get her permanent residency. A friend of mine got "lucky" and had his wife's LPR status processed in about 9 months, after the two-year conditional status.

I have met others who have had employment based visas upgraded to LPR status in a matter of months (these were doctors, and professionals, holding L1B or EB1 visas.)

In any case, the point I am trying to make is that every situation is unique, and claiming that USCIS is just now working on visa request submitted in 2002 is woefully incorrect. Certainly for the vast majority of cases, that is NOT the case.

I hope you can get your process completed soon enough. It is stressful to always be mindful of the immigration process (even for a born citizen like myself) when someone you know, or love, is going through it.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Have no idea what I am talking about? Really??

I will not get into details, but I can assure you that I am intimately familiar with how the USCIS works and how visas are handled.

Your status as EB3 holds little "weight" for consideration to gain LPR status, as you hold "third" preference among employment-based immigrants, which itself is 2nd or 3rd in terms of categories for gaining permanent residency.

Of course, you know all of that, but choose to leave out all the facts and details, which shows you are being disingenious.

As for the link I posted regarding the processing timelines, they are exactly that. Timelines on how long it takes to process specific petitions at specific offices. They are based on the assumption that you have already qualified for the visa you are requesting and that you have submitted your paperwork.

I already qualified for the visa as I have my EAD and my case has been pre-adjudicated. I have been in the AOS phase for more than 2 years and will probably be for an additional 3 years. I am waiting for my priority date to become current.
There are not enough visas and therefore there is a backlog. That is the only thing I said in my initial post that you qualified of FUD.

Using the processing timelines on the USCIS website as an indication of how long it takes to get a green card is wrong unless you are in the EB-1 or EB-2 ROW and you don't take in consideration all the audit occuring lately. Regarding the family based green card, they are not in a better situation as I believe the wait is also 5 to 6 years because of a lack of visa allocation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The goal of my initial post was just to say that it is not easy to get a visa to work in the US, even H1-B. The reason why the quota of H1B has not been reached yet this year is because it is more difficult for a company to justify the need of hiring a foreign worker when unemployment rate is more than 10%. That is understandable.

If any part of this post is erroneous or FUD', please let me know...

Posted on: 2009/10/8 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Have no idea what I am talking about? Really??

I will not get into details, but I can assure you that I am intimately familiar with how the USCIS works and how visas are handled.

Your status as EB3 holds little "weight" for consideration to gain LPR status, as you hold "third" preference among employment-based immigrants, which itself is 2nd or 3rd in terms of categories for gaining permanent residency.

Of course, you know all of that, but choose to leave out all the facts and details, which shows you are being disingenious.

As for the link I posted regarding the processing timelines, they are exactly that. Timelines on how long it takes to process specific petitions at specific offices. They are based on the assumption that you have already qualified for the visa you are requesting and that you have submitted your paperwork.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Manu claimed:
Quote:

There is a humongous backlog and USCIS is currently working on applications filed in 2002.

FUD slinger!! Don't let facts and the truth get in the way of your story...

For those who really wish to know what are the true timelines to getting a green card, or different types of visas, refer to the USCIS timelines for processing times. You can look it up here:

USCIS Processing Times

As for having an American kid, that got abused so much by so many immigrants, that the US government, right or wrong, no longer attaches much weight to that factor as far as granting the parent(s) Legal Permanent Resident status, let alone citizenship.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about... this is the processing time once your priority date becomes current... to know the priority date they are currently working on you need to check the Visa Bulletin. Here is the latest one (October 2009): http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4575.html

For you rinformation, I am EB3 ROW (employment based). So really, FUD slinger???

Posted on: 2009/10/7 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Manu claimed:
Quote:

There is a humongous backlog and USCIS is currently working on applications filed in 2002.

FUD slinger!! Don't let facts and the truth get in the way of your story...

For those who really wish to know what are the true timelines to getting a green card, or different types of visas, refer to the USCIS timelines for processing times. You can look it up here:

USCIS Processing Times

As for having an American kid, that got abused so much by so many immigrants, that the US government, right or wrong, no longer attaches much weight to that factor as far as granting the parent(s) Legal Permanent Resident status, let alone citizenship.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 20:01

Re: WSJ: The Dependent Housewife from Mumbai -Inability to work in America comes with an unexpected
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
P.S. Why does every other thread on JC List have to disintegrate into some sort of rant against foreigners and U.S. immigration policy? The woman was merely writing about her experiences coping in a foreign land. Nothing more.

You make it sound as if she were on vacation.

??? No idea what you mean. She was writing about the tough adjustment of no longer being a career-woman and the unexpected blessing of suddenly having free time on her hands. (Hint: read the last line of her piece.) Nowhere in the piece does she suggest U.S. policy ought to be changed to allow her to seek employment or that they be allowed to stay permanently - though some people on this thread seem to read it that way.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dgkrishy wrote:
That is probably an Indian thing. Husbands in India (normally) dont carry the keys to their abode when they go to work since they know their wives (I'm referring to housewives here) are at home to welcome them. Apparently, there is nothing more fascinating for the man than ringing the doorbell and the wife opening the door with a big smile, a hug, a kiss and a steaming cup of tea! That intimacy is supposedly not there when the husband uses his own key. Many times, the husband doesnt even have to ring if he drives to work, the sound of the arriving vehicle is enough

Sounds like an oedipus complex to me, "hi mom I'm home" where a cup of cocoa is waiting.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 19:49

Re: WSJ: The Dependent Housewife from Mumbai -Inability to work in America comes with an unexpected
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
P.S. Why does every other thread on JC List have to disintegrate into some sort of rant against foreigners and U.S. immigration policy? The woman was merely writing about her experiences coping in a foreign land. Nothing more.

You make it sound as if she were on vacation.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 19:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
anyone else have a banner ad for US Immigration Services on the top of your screen? brilliant!

Posted on: 2009/10/7 14:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
The problem is that it would probably take 7 years for her husband to get his green card. There is a humongous backlog and USCIS is currently working on applications filed in 2002.
I personally have been leaving in Jersey City for 9 years, own a house in Jersey City, have a son that is American. I applied for a green card 4 years ago and will probably get it in 3 years. In the meantime, if I lose my job and don?t find another one within a month (and it would have to be a very similar job, otherwise I would have to start the process again), I would have to pack and leave the country?
There is indeed ways to work legally but it is not that easy?

Wait times vary and are very dependent upon the type of visa. The wait time for a green card for K-visa holders is about 4-9 months from time of AOS filing to green card production. H visa holders are at the mercy of their employer, who usually files on their behalf.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is that it would probably take 7 years for her husband to get his green card. There is a humongous backlog and USCIS is currently working on applications filed in 2002.
I personally have been leaving in Jersey City for 9 years, own a house in Jersey City, have a son that is American. I applied for a green card 4 years ago and will probably get it in 3 years. In the meantime, if I lose my job and don?t find another one within a month (and it would have to be a very similar job, otherwise I would have to start the process again), I would have to pack and leave the country?
There is indeed ways to work legally but it is not that easy?

Posted on: 2009/10/7 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Very well said, JadedJC. And congratulations on your overseas experience!

It is easy for people to complain our immigration policies and rules, but I have found that our rules are very similar to that of other countries, and very often much more sane and logical. And, to top it off, our rules have clear instructions attached to them. Other countries have all kinds of caveats, and exceptions, which make traversing the system an exercise in frustration.

The thing is that our country, and our immigration system, gets a lot more scrutiny because it is a much bigger country, and much more people are trying to come here than anywhere else. People should really look at what is going on in other countries, and how they handle this, before they critize our system. It really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Of course, it isn't perfect.

Absolutely. The author of the WSJ piece can apply for AOS (Adjustment of Status) after her husband gets his green card. At that point she is free to work in the US. If she has no interest in becoming a provisional resident, she can't legally work here. Plain and simple - and that's a good thing, why should she compete against the 10% or so of US citizens in JC who are unemployed? Modifying this law would open another avenue for immigration fraud.

There is a procedure in place for her to be able to work here legally if she wishes, it's simply up to her to file the proper documents.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Wow
http://www.aztlan.net/dobbs_married_to_mexican.htm

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
GrovePath: He's married to a Mexican-American, too.

Makes for interesting Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws, no?

Posted on: 2009/10/7 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very well said, JadedJC. And congratulations on your overseas experience!

It is easy for people to complain our immigration policies and rules, but I have found that our rules are very similar to that of other countries, and very often much more sane and logical. And, to top it off, our rules have clear instructions attached to them. Other countries have all kinds of caveats, and exceptions, which make traversing the system an exercise in frustration.

The thing is that our country, and our immigration system, gets a lot more scrutiny because it is a much bigger country, and much more people are trying to come here than anywhere else. People should really look at what is going on in other countries, and how they handle this, before they critize our system. It really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Of course, it isn't perfect.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wow
http://www.aztlan.net/dobbs_married_to_mexican.htm

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Resized Image

I heard it's really just his schtick and that he loves Mexicans.

His father owned a Propane Company in Texas - and I'm sure he never hired any Mexicans.

By the way, he lives here in North Jersey - on a 300 acre horse farm in Sussex County -- I wonder who cuts his grass. Funny but he gets lots of tax breaks for owning a farm.

Quote:

shadrack wrote:
I didn't know Lou Dobbs was on JCList...

Posted on: 2009/10/7 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/10/7 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

I heard it's really just his schtick and that he loves Mexicans.

His father owned a Propane Company in Texas - and I'm sure he never hired any Mexicans.

By the way, he lives here in North Jersey - on a 300 acre horse farm in Sussex County -- I wonder who cuts his grass. Funny but he gets lots of tax breaks for owning a farm.

Quote:

shadrack wrote:
I didn't know Lou Dobbs was on JCList...

Posted on: 2009/10/7 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The situation described by the woman from Mumbai is no different than the legions of expat spouses from the U.S. who accompany their husbands and (occasionally) wives overseas. When I got the chance to be posted overseas, I was single and had the luxury of making a purely selfish decision. For couples, it's a tough call. In many lines of work, overseas experience is a major career booster. Unfortunately, that means the spouse will most likely have to give up their job and put their career on hold. In most cases it's the wife accompanying the husband overseas. Rarely did I ever come across a woman whose husband had put his career on hold while she took a fantastic opportunity abroad.

I remember meeting many of the wives of my American colleagues when I was living and working in Europe. Imagine being plunked down in an alien culture without your friends or family and suddenly having to fill hours in which you're accustomed to doing something productive and earning a paycheck. Like the author, these women weren't eligible for employment in their host countries either. The author, I think, is coping admirably - and better than many of the American women I've met who were in the same situation as her. At one office party while I was living overseas, a couple of the American wives started on a major bitch fest. I rolled my eyes when they started complaining about maids. I mean, really, if you're not working and you're home all day, why not clean your place yourself?

Posted on: 2009/10/7 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
They probably hate USA just like most immigrants lately...they should go back to Mumbai and stop taking the Jobs from real Americans.

I didn't know Lou Dobbs was on JCList.

"Probably?"

"Real Americans?"

Posted on: 2009/10/7 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

This just illustrates how insane our immigration policies are. Why shouldn't she be able to work here?

Basically, and technically speaking, she is not here based on her own merits. She was allowed into the country based on her relationship (an H4 visa is the type of visa granted to spouse or dependents of H1 visa hoders.) If her skils in her particular career field are remarkable enough, she should apply for her own H1 visa, or she could work to change her immigration status to one that would allow her to work.

Of course, immigration policy is just crazy sometimes, and it is fraught with complexities and politics weigh heavily on current policies. Look no further than the troll that posted after you did... Lots of political constituencies to appease, or please!!

If we know who's coming and going, why do we limit who can productively work here? If you're not a violent criminal, what's the problem?

Posted on: 2009/10/7 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

This just illustrates how insane our immigration policies are. Why shouldn't she be able to work here?

Basically, and technically speaking, she is not here based on her own merits. She was allowed into the country based on her relationship (an H4 visa is the type of visa granted to spouse or dependents of H1 visa hoders.) If her skils in her particular career field are remarkable enough, she should apply for her own H1 visa, or she could work to change her immigration status to one that would allow her to work.

Of course, immigration policy is just crazy sometimes, and it is fraught with complexities and politics weigh heavily on current policies. Look no further than the troll that posted after you did... Lots of political constituencies to appease, or please!!

If we know who's coming and going, why do we limit who can productively work here? If you're not a violent criminal, what's the problem?

Posted on: 2009/10/7 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
In today's world I do not agree with the policy that the dependent H-4 spouse cannot work yet other visa categories like the E-3 dependent can work. It makes little sense to me.

However, since the H-1B quota was not filled this year, the writer can go out and find a job and get her own H-1B sponsorship now.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2009/10/7 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
jealous much?

Posted on: 2009/10/7 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
They probably hate USA just like most immigrants lately...they should go back to Mumbai and stop taking the Jobs from real Americans.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/10/7 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dgkrishy wrote:
Quote:

Darkmatter wrote:
And again, for those with true reading comprehension issues, the question has been asked twice now, and here's a third time:

Why does her husband have to ring the doorbell to get into their married abode?

That is probably an Indian thing. Husbands in India (normally) dont carry the keys to their abode when they go to work since they know their wives (I'm referring to housewives here) are at home to welcome them. Apparently, there is nothing more fascinating for the man than ringing the doorbell and the wife opening the door with a big smile, a hug, a kiss and a steaming cup of tea! That intimacy is supposedly not there when the husband uses his own key. Many times, the husband doesnt even have to ring if he drives to work, the sound of the arriving vehicle is enough

Sounds like they are insecure and don't want the wives to leave the house.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hey, DarkMatter.

My insult was meant more as a tongue-in-cheek comment. My apologies if it came across as arrogant or insulting.

Ditto. Humor is hard for me to convey here. I was just poking a little fun at you Darkmatter and didn't mean to offend.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 20:50

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017