Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Red paint on curbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
...50ft from the intersection with a stop sign (along the street that the Stop sign is facing), ...

Can anyone explain the logic of 50 ft from the sign along the street that the sign is facing? It would make more sense if it was 50 ft parallel to the sign so the line of sight is not blocked. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2009/9/30 22:44
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Might not be all bad....looks like the drug activity out that 1st floor window has stopped....maybe somebody there reads jclist.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

um....helllooo....the cars parked in those spots most of the time have PBA shields in the window.....the huge black suv, the bmw, the maroon car all tricked out and others.

That sucks! Can anyone take pictures of this to verify it? These could be submitted to the Cheif and he can let these individuals know that this is unacceptable.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 4:33
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:

While it is 25ft from the intersection and 50ft from the intersection with a stop sign (along the street that the Stop sign is facing), is legally to be made free of cars, I believe enforcement has been lax because there is an understanding that parking is so precious in such a densely populated area.

However, the importance of the red painted curbs is that it clears the sight line for the cross traffic. This is about a very dangerous situation and I am really sad to see that people still park in front of the red painted curbs despite the City marking those curbs so clearly so as not to make it some kind of guess game for those trying to find parking and getting a ticket when they weren't even aware of the law.

This is a case of the City trying to work with the community to clearly communicate that there is understanding and flexibility, but really this needs to be enforced so as not to create a dangerous situation for its citizens.

I hope the JCPA really enforces this measure as it is good policy in every regard. So as someone that regularly tries to cross Erie with great trepidation and three small ones in back, please don't park in the red painted zones and let me have a fighting chance of crossing the street safely by giving me back that sight line.

By not parking in the red painted area which has legally taken 10 spots along Erie, you are proving to the City and your neighbors that the full extent of the law need not be applied and ~76 spots taken away.

I sincerely thank those who do not park in the red zone.

um....helllooo....the cars parked in those spots most of the time have PBA shields in the window.....the huge black suv, the bmw, the maroon car all tricked out and others.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Call the Jersey City Parking Authority
(201) 653-6969

Quote:

mercer1974 wrote:
people are still parked on jersey @ 2nd in the red zone. Should I call the police non-emergency to ask to enforce?

Posted on: 2009/9/30 4:01
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The curbs were painted only 25 feet at one corner of each intersection along the length of Erie and a stretch of Jersey Ave. by the City.

While it is 25ft from the intersection and 50ft from the intersection with a stop sign (along the street that the Stop sign is facing), is legally to be made free of cars, I believe enforcement has been lax because there is an understanding that parking is so precious in such a densely populated area.

However, the importance of the red painted curbs is that it clears the sight line for the cross traffic. This is about a very dangerous situation and I am really sad to see that people still park in front of the red painted curbs despite the City marking those curbs so clearly so as not to make it some kind of guess game for those trying to find parking and getting a ticket when they weren't even aware of the law.

This is a case of the City trying to work with the community to clearly communicate that there is understanding and flexibility, but really this needs to be enforced so as not to create a dangerous situation for its citizens.

I hope the JCPA really enforces this measure as it is good policy in every regard. So as someone that regularly tries to cross Erie with great trepidation and three small ones in back, please don't park in the red painted zones and let me have a fighting chance of crossing the street safely by giving me back that sight line.

By not parking in the red painted area which has legally taken 10 spots along Erie, you are proving to the City and your neighbors that the full extent of the law need not be applied and ~76 spots taken away.

I sincerely thank those who do not park in the red zone.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
My other question is 50 feet in what direction? 50 feet from the direction that has the sign, 50 feet on the right of way side, or just 50 feet all around and thus eliminating 16 parking spaces?

I think Bayonne began enforcing this 50' law last spring. I hope JC doesn't see this as a wonderful way to make some extra cash.

And just what is a safety zone for pedestrians? Do they mean the crosswalk?

I think th NJ law needs to be re-written. 50' might have been fine when there were few cars around, but parking is a premium now.

And I'm amazed that the law in NJ states that you can't park more than 6 inches from the curb - isn't itlike 12 or 15 inches in NYC? I wish that would be enforced because those people that park more than a foot from the curb sure make parking difficult some nights.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 21:06
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What exactly does "Within 25 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection, or side line of a street or intersection highway, except at alleys" mean?

Posted on: 2009/9/29 21:05
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the details. As a point of reference, 50' is two standard lots in most of JC. Nobody parks 2 houses in from the corner! Can you imagine how many fewer spaces there would be?

Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
From the NJ MVC Handbook:

Do Not Park (N.J.S.A. 39:4-138)
Unless directed to do so by a police officer or to avoid an accident, a motorist should never stop or park at any of the following places:

* On a crosswalk
* Between a safety zone for pedestrians and the adjacent curb or within 20 feet of the end of the safety zone
* Near properly marked street construction
* In a space on public or private property marked for vehicle parking for the handicapped (unless legally authorized)
* On an interstate highway
* On a sidewalk
* In a bus stop zone
* In front of a public or private driveway
* Within an intersection
* Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant
* Within 25 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection, or side line of a street or intersection highway, except at alleys
* Within 50 feet of a railroad crossing
* Within 50 feet of a stop sign
* Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and within 75 feet on the street opposite a fire station entrance
* On any bridge or elevated roadway or in any tunnel
* Next to another vehicle parked at the curb (double parking)
* In an area where parking is prohibited by municipal ordinance

Does anyone not park within 50 feet of a stop sign??

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
From the NJ MVC Handbook:

Parking regulations

A motorist should always check for traffic when leaving a vehicle after parking. He/she should also check for bicycles or mopeds, which are sometimes difficult to see, before opening the driver-side door and exiting the vehicle. A motorist opening a door into traffic may be liable for any collision with a moving vehicle. It is safer for passengers to exit a parked vehicle from the curb side. A motorist should read parking signs before parking on a city street to be aware of restrictions or time limits. It is illegal for a vehicle to be parked more than six inches from the curb (N.J.S.A. 39:4-135). Never park where a vehicle will block traffic.

Do Not Park (N.J.S.A. 39:4-138)
Unless directed to do so by a police officer or to avoid an accident, a motorist should never stop or park at any of the following places:

* On a crosswalk
* Between a safety zone for pedestrians and the adjacent curb or within 20 feet of the end of the safety zone
* Near properly marked street construction
* In a space on public or private property marked for vehicle parking for the handicapped (unless legally authorized)
* On an interstate highway
* On a sidewalk
* In a bus stop zone
* In front of a public or private driveway
* Within an intersection
* Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant
* Within 25 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection, or side line of a street or intersection highway, except at alleys
* Within 50 feet of a railroad crossing
* Within 50 feet of a stop sign
* Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and within 75 feet on the street opposite a fire station entrance
* On any bridge or elevated roadway or in any tunnel
* Next to another vehicle parked at the curb (double parking)
* In an area where parking is prohibited by municipal ordinance

Does anyone not park within 50 feet of a stop sign??

Posted on: 2009/9/29 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Parking is tight, as we all know, and people generally park close to the stop signs (but not past) and near the cross walks (but not in them...we hope). The laws are rarely enforced, but I think the REAL law is something like 25' from a stop sign or crosswalk. This is probably what the red paint covers. That's more than one car length and you'll be hard pressed to find an interesection where that is "obeyed". About 5 years back they painted the curbs, ticketed for about a week if you were in the zone, and then things went back to normal.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
On similar street corners in Hoboken, the city installed these permanent orange poles that physically block the area around corners and stop signs to prevent cars from encroaching on the corner. Of course, Hoboken also has speed bumps, speed humps, rumble strips, bike lanes and the orange "yield to pedestrians" signs in the middle of crosswalks.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 13:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
try vigilante justice!!!!!! key the bastards!

or you know call the cops non emergency number..... either or

Posted on: 2009/9/29 2:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
people are still parked on jersey @ 2nd in the red zone. Should I call the police non-emergency to ask to enforce?

Posted on: 2009/9/29 2:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/18 20:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mercer1974 wrote:
the corner of jersey & 2nd has been painted red on the east side of jersey. hopefully will keep cars from blocking the view of people crossing jersey--have seen tons of accidents there because of obstructed views.

I saw a cyclist get hit by a car at this corner a couple days before the curbs were painted. Luckily he turned out okay, but cars parked too close to the corner certainly add to incidents like this. Same thing at 1st and Jersey, there have been plenty of accidents there as well.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:29
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
There is no law that says any color curb makes it illegal to park there. Follow the signs (and the laws). Probably because I could go out right now and paint the curb in front of my house.

It may help as a reminder, i.e. there is a blue curb on my block for a handicap spot, but there are also signs. Or near an intersection (25 feet). But a colored curb in and of itself means nothing legally.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
What i've been told, NJ mixes all the leftover colors they have together and the dark red is what they get.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mercer1974 wrote:
the corner of jersey & 2nd has been painted red on the east side of jersey. hopefully will keep cars from blocking the view of people crossing jersey--have seen tons of accidents there because of obstructed views.

LOL...great example of Matt's post...exactly where an off duty police car is routinely illegally parked....right near the building window that constantly has things going in and out of it....good God it's almost a drive thru drug window....might as well put up a sign and make it an official business (oh yea a few of the Wayne Street red hatted fellas been seen)....if you walk by and anyone asks if "you are ok?", they are not really concerned about your welfare. That is red hat talk for do you want to score...

Posted on: 2009/9/23 6:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/23 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Reserved spots for the personal use of city employees on and off duty.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 23:07

Red paint on curbs

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/22 22:16
From Jersey ave and 3rd St
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what the red paint along portions of some of the curbs mean? I used to park in some spots that seemed legitimate, didn't overlap crosswalks or come too close to fire hydrants, and now those spots have red painted curbs and, well I just assume you shouldn't park there.

Is that really what it means? I don't think I've seen that color used anywhere else. Or maybe I'm stupid, in which case I have no doubt that you guys will let me know that I am.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 22:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017