Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
"Gangsters" are shooting each other all day tomorrow on Wayne between Jersey and Barrow.

Finally, we'll get some TV cameras there....

Posted on: 2009/10/5 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
'Mercy' is filming all day today on Wayne between Jersey and Barrow.

Finally, we'll get a police presence there....

Posted on: 2009/10/5 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The only way to get any bad elements out is for the good element to become the majority there at night. Everyone who loves the park should try to be out there from 6-10 p.m. Trust me the bad doers will be gone inside two weeks.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

designknob wrote:
What a joke. A phone tree? Really??? That's going to stop what's going on? This isn't a snowday in grammar school. Basically nothing at all was said, or got accomplished. 98% of the cops in this town are completely useless. Period. My take is that they actually like having this park there. This way everything is "contained" to that one block. It's the scourge that's under the rug. It's the slumlord and the tenement housing that's there that is the problem. If/when that leaves, then that block will clean up. I did NOT say all the residents in those building are up to no good, but the majority of the people hanging around, dealing, etc etc LIVE THERE.

Ah, the cesspool theory.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
What a joke. A phone tree? Really??? That's going to stop what's going on? This isn't a snowday in grammar school. Basically nothing at all was said, or got accomplished. 98% of the cops in this town are completely useless. Period. My take is that they actually like having this park there. This way everything is "contained" to that one block. It's the scourge that's under the rug. It's the slumlord and the tenement housing that's there that is the problem. If/when that leaves, then that block will clean up. I did NOT say all the residents in those building are up to no good, but the majority of the people hanging around, dealing, etc etc LIVE THERE.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yea just one of them lost their life a few months back trying to keep J.C.safe. But that dosnt matter because it wasnt on Grove St or something . I forgot they have to be on constant guard downtown to keep all the yuppies happy so they can live their half ass'ed manhattan fantasy. Give me a break.

yup. thats exactly what i said. good job.

point is, lots of cops around here dont seem to give a shit. thats a problem.

and while i do not live near grove street, obviously i want the area i live in to be safe. most people want the same thing, regardless of where they live. thats one of the basic services im talking about. and if people do not feel safe, then the police are failing.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Let's all try to be a bit more respectful. These guys put their lives on the line. Perhaps they could use more training, but perhaps they are also constrained by resources and city politics. There are several police officers I've spoken to on the detective level and above who have been more than professional, so imho it's not fair to lump them all into one broad category. But hey opinions are like assholes everybody's got one.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
been living in jc since march, and ive already come to the conclusion that the jcpd is incapable of providing the basic services that are expected of them. ive interacted with a few officers at various times and each of those times i was very unimpressed. dignity, respect, authority. those are the words that come to mind when i think about a police officer. the jcpd couldnt be further from that. a bunch of misfits.

Yea just one of them lost their life a few months back trying to keep J.C.safe. But that dosnt matter because it wasnt on Grove St or something . I forgot they have to be on constant guard downtown to keep all the yuppies happy so they can live their half ass'ed manhattan fantasy. Give me a break.

Putting words in his mouth much?

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
been living in jc since march, and ive already come to the conclusion that the jcpd is incapable of providing the basic services that are expected of them. ive interacted with a few officers at various times and each of those times i was very unimpressed. dignity, respect, authority. those are the words that come to mind when i think about a police officer. the jcpd couldnt be further from that. a bunch of misfits.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/24 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just watched the video posted above and I can tell you that is pretty much the EXACT same meeting they have been having about the park for the past 21 years that I've been here....

"Set up a phone tree, we're not aware of a problem, our resources are thin.... "

As was noted above, the park is a small, landlocked area only accessible from one side. It is and has been a consistent & persistent problem for literally decades now. To listen to the JCPD spew the same song & dance to the newest crop of residents to whom this is a new issue, is a perplexing & infuriating demonstration of overall ineptitude.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 13:06

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2009/9/24 6:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
i used to see the silver fox on his police bike in VVP often a few months ago...almost always on his cell phone, but at least he was there. haven't seen him in a while though.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
There may be 885 cops but no more than half or less actually patrol the streets. The brass, those in specific units like emergency, narcotics don't patrol. Then there are those cops who are on sick leave, suspension or work at desk jobs in headquarters or elsewhere. They don't patrol. The same standard pap is served up at these community meetings. Cops do well on their salaries, at least $50,000 after a few years plus bennies. And let's not forget the off-duty jobs where they stand around doing nada & can double their salary. If we tell them where the crime is should'nt we get paid instead of them? I think so.
And by the way where's the bikes? Those who know will understand.

I know it's crazy I haven't been to a VVPA meeting in 3 years and I feel like they're using the same script over and over. And I haven't seen any of the bike patrol guys all summer. They said he (singular) has been bike around the projects more, that's why we haven't seen him.
back to the pay thing: it's a dangerous profession, so I think they should be paid well.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
It was the usual bitch session about how they need our help to report problems and to not assume they know if there is drug activity.

THEY'RE SINGING FROM THE OLD "COP-PLAY-BOOK".

SAME SONG THEY'VE BEEN SINGING FOR 30 YEARS ABOUT THAT SPOT!!!!

Posted on: 2009/9/23 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
There may be 885 cops but no more than half or less actually patrol the streets. The brass, those in specific units like emergency, narcotics don't patrol. Then there are those cops who are on sick leave, suspension or work at desk jobs in headquarters or elsewhere. They don't patrol. The same standard pap is served up at these community meetings. Cops do well on their salaries, at least $50,000 after a few years plus bennies. And let's not forget the off-duty jobs where they stand around doing nada & can double their salary. If we tell them where the crime is should'nt we get paid instead of them? I think so.
And by the way where's the bikes? Those who know will understand.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
what do any of you think about a park police squad?

What park police squad?

Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
what do any of you think about a park police squad?

Posted on: 2009/9/23 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Quote:

AmyJCNJ wrote:

Something that totally shocked me is they only have 885 cops to police the whole city of 250,000!

This definitely needs improvement. About 35+ cops per 10,000 residents in Jersey City. NYC is about 50, Newark is about 54. Hoboken has 44.

What's holding up that "more cops on the beat" promise?

This is an old report, but it should be pretty accurate for % cops per capita. http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/lema001a.pdf

Very good point...many municipalities count their parking authority/traffic enforcement units as officers so the numbers can be a little skewed sometimes. But given Jersey City's situation and potential, increasing the amount of trained police would be a good investment. You don't need to be a genius to figure out our public officials are wasting money instead of spending it on things like public safety. What can de done? Maybe I'm new enough not to be apathetic like so many others....So often I get the response "....well thats Jersey City" Its so frustrating. With this city's location it could be an absolute boomtown for businesses that find Manhattan too expensive.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They said there were a lot of retirements a few years ago and the standards are harder now. Per class of 25 only 16 get through. I'm guessing it's not that attractive to become a cop in JC either. I looked into about 10 years ago and was totally turned off by the pay. I'm just saying, maybe if we paid them more, it would attract more candidates. Same with teachers and fire...

Posted on: 2009/9/23 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AmyJCNJ wrote:

Something that totally shocked me is they only have 885 cops to police the whole city of 250,000!

This definitely needs improvement. About 35+ cops per 10,000 residents in Jersey City. NYC is about 50, Newark is about 54. Hoboken has 44.

What's holding up that "more cops on the beat" promise?

This is an old report, but it should be pretty accurate for % cops per capita. http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/lema001a.pdf

Posted on: 2009/9/23 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
But the gathering on Wayne Street, before the meeting, was sparsely attended. Did it have an impact? ...

How long were you there? I thought it was a rather large group of about 30 or so. The Chief said the group that was at the school was the largest he's seen since he took over. I'd say about 40 or more people came, but I didn't count.
It was the usual bitch session about how they need our help to report problems and to not assume they know if there is drug activity. They suggested for drug activity we should call the Narcotics cops directly instead of the 5477 number. They kept saying they have resources problem (aka cop shortage) and need the community's help. Something that totally shocked me is they only have 885 cops to police the whole city of 250,000!

Posted on: 2009/9/23 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
wouldn't a Wayne Street specific cop just have people from other blocks wanting their own street specific cop. I can see my neighbors wanting their own cop to stop the brawls that spill out onto the street at least twice a month from the bar across the street. Yesterday's "demonstration" was a good opportunity, but I'm not sure anything came from it. As I proposed earlier here, the meeting with police brass should have been held inside Ramos Park.

Two counter points:

1. Police should go to wherever crime is being committed. Right now downtown (and for decades some folks say) the crime is being committed near Wayne Street. Is the any doubt that folks on surrounding streets would benefit from police this close as well.

2. By your logic does this mean we should build one of those police shacks on every street (because everyone will want one)

It has been proven that there are only three ways to stop criminals. First you can somehow get them to see the moral error of their ways and rehabilitate themselves...good luck with this option it rarely happens. Second way is to catch them with police of course. Third way is to scare them away or inconvenience them which is also best done with a police presence.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wouldn't a Wayne Street specific cop just have people from other blocks wanting their own street specific cop. I can see my neighbors wanting their own cop to stop the brawls that spill out onto the street at least twice a month from the bar across the street. Yesterday's "demonstration" was a good opportunity, but I'm not sure anything came from it. As I proposed earlier here, the meeting with police brass should have been held inside Ramos Park.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
even having one of those boxes for a year or two max i think would clean up that area. within that time the vagrants would most likely move on to another place they could hang and deal in peace... plus with the new development there things should turn around within that time frame..hopefully..

Take the money that would be spent on a booth and hire a real live honest, sober, semi proactive police officer to just walk up and down that block on Wayne Street. Quite frankly right now it looks like the police are protecting the criminals from the residents.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 6:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Skipped the meeting with police brass. (If I have to sit through another one of those ...) But the gathering on Wayne Street, before the meeting, was sparsely attended. Did it have an impact? ...

Posted on: 2009/9/23 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Couldn't make the meeting tonight; what happened?

How was the turnout?

Posted on: 2009/9/23 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
There's been are one of those for years in Newport where you cross Washington to go from the Path to the mall.

NEVER seen a cop in it. EVER.

That said, there's a lot of places in those booths to hid the drugs and guns....

Posted on: 2009/9/23 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
even having one of those boxes for a year or two max i think would clean up that area. within that time the vagrants would most likely move on to another place they could hang and deal in peace... plus with the new development there things should turn around within that time frame..hopefully..

Posted on: 2009/9/23 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
yes!

i used to have one of those police boxes on my corner when i lived in NYC next door to the cuban consulate. 24 hour police presence. never felt safer in my life. even more when fidel came to town for UN meetings.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 22:49

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017