Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Oh just do it, Healy....

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/9/22 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I counted the width of the park this morning...took me 47 steps to cross it. The fact that the cops and politicians can't handle 48 or so feet? its beyond nuts.

It's a bit larger than that; the park is actually 100 feet wide by 100 feet deep (10,000 square feet) and closed on 3 sides.

It's a friggin' joke this has been a sore spot in the neighborhood as long as it has.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/9/22 18:12
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
The police are aware of the problems with this block and have managed problems as they've arisen in the past.

Who wrote the above from VVPA? Are you serious? It's been a crime ridden park for 30+ years now. I counted the width of the park this morning...took me 47 steps to cross it. The fact that the cops and politicians can't handle 48 or so feet? its beyond nuts.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

New_to_JC wrote:
Hope everyone can make the rally.

Van Vorst Park
Association

83 Wayne Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
www.vvpa.org

Attention VVPA Membership, Friends and Neighbors :

On the afternoon of Tuesday, September 15th, there was a shooting on Wayne Street between Jersey Avenue and Barrow Street. This block is home to St Matthew's Church, the Barrow Mansion, a playground as well as both single and multi-family residences . It is a block notorious for criminal and drug-related activity. This shooting happened at 3pm.

The police are aware of the problems with this block and have managed problems as they've arisen in the past. There are plans in discussion to improve the safety of the block including installing security cameras, increasing the height of the fences around the playground and locking the playground at night. As of yet, none of these strategies has been put into place.

Any shooting, especially those happening midday along a well-traveled street, should not go unrecognized. East District Captain Gallagher will be holding his monthly Captain's Meeting at PS 4 on Bright Street at 7pm this Tuesday, September 22. There will be a group gathering first in front of the playground on Wayne Street on Tuesday evening at 6:30pm. At 6:45pm, the group will then walk to the Captain's Meeting in a show of solidarity against this senseless and dangerous street violence.

You are encouraged to attend.

Thank you.
The VVPA

Hi Everyone,
Don't forget about the rally tonight...

Posted on: 2009/9/22 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/22 0:19
Group:
Registered Users
I am a resident of Wayne Street and just live a few houses over from the park. I think I heard the shot fired at 6PM but was at work for the 3PM. A friend actually told me about the shooting today, before then I had no idea. I have been googling looking for information about it but have not found anything other than this listing.

This morning after I found out I went up to a police officer who was overseeing the construction on the corner of Wayne and Barrow and asked him for information about the shooting. He said he hadn't heard of anything! How are they supposed to keep us safe (ha) if they don't even inform their personnel about this important information, especially when they are given a post to work that is basically the same exact spot as the shooting that occurred 6 days prior!?!

Posted on: 2009/9/22 0:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman Fulop sent an email on Friday afternoon reporting that the police have a suspect in custody.

1 down.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 15:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
considering it's been 30 years or so that this particular park hasn't been safe, I beg to differ.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Why is it necessary to have a park open passed 10:00 PM? That is when the destruction of public property happens.

Why is it necessary to deprive people who work late of their quality of life?

Posted on: 2009/9/19 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Why is it necessary to have a park open passed 10:00 PM? That is when the destruction of public property happens.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 13:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
Where have I seen that email before? I just can't place it.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
FYI ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Steven Fulop <fulops@jcnj.org> Date: Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Subject: JCPD reports Arrest for Wayne Street Shooting To: Steven Fulop <FulopS.PALPO.PALDOM@jcnj.org> Cc: pandes!@jcnj.org Excuse the brief and mass email. We have received numerous calls and emails regarding the Wayne Street Shooting. It is very disconcerting. Pls. note that we have received a call from the JCPD that an arrest has been made today in connection with the Wayne Street Shooting. The East District and Captain Gallagher will be holding their monthly Captain's meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 22nd, at 7pm, at Middle School #4 on Bright Street. I encourage you all to attend. The Van Vorst Park Association (www.vvpa.org) will meet at the Playground on Wayne Street across Barrow Mansion at 6:30pm and walk together as a community to the Captain's meeting. Hopefully, the investigation will be closed at this point and the JCPD can share more information. Thanks again for your concern. If there is anything else, pls. let me know. Steve Steven M. Fulop Jersey City Councilman Ward "E" 280 Grove Street Jersey City, NJ 07302 -- This email was brought to you by the Downtown Jersey City Watch ( downtownjcwatch@gmail.com ). "We watch out for each other." Always call suspicious activities or incidents of a "non-emergency" nature to the JCPD: (201) 547-5477 non emergency line Please contact the East District Command, Captain Gallagher with any information about suspicious events or crimes to: policeeast@jcnj.org Copy the DJCW with emails you send to the East District Command to this address: downtownjcwatch@gmail.com

Posted on: 2009/9/19 4:37
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street - an arrest
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Just received this from Steve Fulop.

"Excuse the brief and mass email. We have received numerous calls and emails regarding the Wayne Street Shooting. It is very disconcerting.
?
Pls. note that we have received a call from the JCPD that an arrest has been made today?in connection with the Wayne Street Shooting.
?
The East District and Captain Gallagher will be holding their monthly Captain's meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 22nd, at 7pm, at Middle School #4 on Bright Street. I encourage you all to attend. The Van Vorst?Park Association (www.vvpa.org)?will meet at the Playground on Wayne Street across Barrow Mansion at 6:30pm and walk together as a community to the Captain's meeting. Hopefully, the investigation will be closed at this point and the JCPD can share more information.
?
Thanks again?for your concern. If there is anything else, pls. let me know.

Steve"
?

Posted on: 2009/9/18 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Everybody on Wayne St. should start wearing shirts that say "START SNITCHIN'" on them. Let the little buggers know you're all keeping an eye on your community.

While funny in theory, you have careful with drug dealers. If they think you had something to do with them getting arrested they will retailiate. I've had my tires slashed several times, so I've learned to keep a low profile with my spying.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Everybody on Wayne St. should start wearing shirts that say "START SNITCHIN'" on them. Let the little buggers know you're all keeping an eye on your community.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 16:46
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
you really wouldn't want to have NO park there.
that's not gonna make your neighborhood safer. in fact, it'll probably result in a less safe neighborhood. Take back the park for the people, don't let criminality take away the park.

I can't wait to hear the explanation as to how it would be LESS safe.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of the people who hang out in that park are law abiding and have been in the neighborhood for many years. Some of the people who have lived here a long time are decent people once you get to know them. They're just a bit rough around the edges. But if you get to know your neighbors who hang out in the park you can quickly ascertain who the bad elements are. So please let's be careful about lumping an entire group of people together.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok Everyone, calm down with the hysterics. Closing the park or not wouldn't have made a difference.
Hello...

Quote:

dixonshills wrote:
It was at 3 PM, not late at night.

The fact is we all need to be more proactive as a community. I have a view of that park from my apartment and I admit I've become complacent lately, not paying as much attention. If you see drug activity, very discreetly gather information throughout the course of your normal daily routines. Write down license plate numbers and try to remember what people look like. Pretend you are texting and take camera phone pictures. But make sure for your own safety they don?t know you are paying attention to them. And always walk down that street with a buddy.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
you really wouldn't want to have NO park there.
that's not gonna make your neighborhood safer. in fact, it'll probably result in a less safe neighborhood. Take back the park for the people, don't let criminality take away the park.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 14:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. I would rather have no park there and a safe neighborhood than one like that.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
As for the Wayne Street Park, it should have a tall gate that can be locked in the evening.

That's a pretty simple, good solution actually.

The shooting happened at 3PM.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
We as a community can make a difference here in Van Vorst and throughout the city. Anyone taking their time to write in this forum cares about their community and wants to see problems solved. We may disagree about the method but we all want a better place for our families to live in.
Next Tuesday evening community members are gathering in Wayne Street Park at 6:30 and walking as a group to MS4 at Varick and Bright Street to attend the East District Police Captain's Meeting. Anyone who wants to see action on Wayne Street and throughout downtown is encouraged to join us. Captain Gallagher was installed as East District Captain in June so it will help to have a good turnout to reinforce the urgency of the problem and come closer to a solution.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
closing that park, or any open space, including VVP or stretches of the waterfront walkway, is an absolute defeat for all of us. it's not about maintaining a safe haven for criminals; it's about keeping open space open, for everyone, including the people who live on that stretch of Wayne, who have lived with this condition for (amazingly!) decades.

Agree 10000%.

Unfortunately, it becomes a viable remaining option when, for decades, the JCPD and Mayor's office (several) refuse to take definitive action there.

And not for nothing, but for just as long, the VVPA, aside from holding their meetings at Barrow Mansion across the street, have done next to nothing to make this an issue.

A lot of the folks in charge there seem to see it as 'foreign soil' and think that making it an issue of it would draw attention away from VVP.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
As for the Wayne Street Park, it should have a tall gate that can be locked in the evening.

That's a pretty simple, good solution actually.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
They have a warrant out for the responsible party in this week's shooting and there's a bunch of police activity on Wayne right now. Hopefully, they've found the guy.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
closing that park, or any open space, including VVP or stretches of the waterfront walkway, is an absolute defeat for all of us. it's not about maintaining a safe haven for criminals; it's about keeping open space open, for everyone, including the people who live on that stretch of Wayne, who have lived with this condition for (amazingly!) decades. i still think a meeting inside the park would make a big statement, more than a vigil, which might make some of us feel better, but ultimately, fails to engage beyond that.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

That was suggested and almost implemented years ago, but a certain extremely liberal, extremely over-the-top PC resident, armed with nothing more than a pair of stinky Birkenstocks, who has since moved to a rural area 500 miles to the north put the brakes on it because as she put it, "Who are we newcomers to take the park away from the poor people who have been here for years?"

Posted on: 2009/9/18 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One other thing: I think the individual police officers are great, we need more of them. But there is an major issue with the system. The call center people are condescending and the cops are reluctant to arrest people for quality of life crimes. Last summer kids in the building next door to me were throwing rocks off the roof. The cops refused to do anything about it. They came but said there was nothing they can do if the tenant doesn't answer the doorbell. They asked me if I knew the kids, I said no but I knew which apartment. The landlord was there and could have let the police into the building, but they never asked. Funny thing is they told me I should call if I see the kid again. Isn't it their job to follow up on complaints? They left without even trying to find out who it was. I think they're stretched too thin and would rather focus on real crime.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 7:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Parks in other urban areas are closed when it is dark, not in Jersey City. Before the renovation of Van Vorst Park pre-1974, there were few benches. After the renovations, benches and tables were placed. A lot of crime then took place then. In the 1990's they were removed. Now they are coming back. We, the taxpayers are making life comfortable for people who sell drugs with the benches and tables. As for the Wayne Street Park, it should have a tall gate that can be locked in the evening.

No way! What do we live in a police state? The rest of us law abiding citizens have the right to enjoy our public spaces without fear. The problem is the police don't take calls seriously and it's been going on for years. I witnessed a knife fight there several years ago, it took 45 mins for the cops to respond. Wtf? I don't want to feel like I live in a jail. In the summer lots of people play basketball in that park until the wee hours, which I don't think is a bad thing if people are a abiding by the law (edit: and quieting down after certain hours). If there were a gate everyone would be forced out at sundown.
Sorry I'm not willing to sacrifice my freedom to enjoy the outdoors for the sake of safety. The cops need to step up once and for all.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 7:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Parks in other urban areas are closed when it is dark, not in Jersey City. Before the renovation of Van Vorst Park pre-1974, there were few benches. After the renovations, benches and tables were placed. A lot of crime then took place then. In the 1990's they were removed. Now they are coming back. We, the taxpayers are making life comfortable for people who sell drugs with the benches and tables. As for the Wayne Street Park, it should have a tall gate that can be locked in the evening.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 4:22

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017