Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
174 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bagua Juice - Out of Business
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
Bagua would never let me slide when I couldn't afford their $8 large juice. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying, it's business.

I'm not sure I follow--they should give you a personal poverty discount?

Posted on: 2009/9/9 16:59
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I've heard that some of the businesses on Grove near City Hall get rent subsidies -- just heard, but I think I heard it here even -- couldn't someone subsidize a freaking bookstore? .

If that's true it's probably because the landlords (probably the Silvermans who developed the Majestic and surrounding buildings) have many other continuing interests in the area and think long-term. A thriving and interesting street makes the nearby properties more valuable. Unfortunately, most landlords just want to maximize the income from their stores.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 16:57
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
it was the straws. i was always amazed by bagua's fancy thick straws.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 16:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kellygreen wrote:
this post is about bagua closing ... let's not use it to bash other businesses that are trying to survive in JC. and, by the way, have you even stopped by Jack's? whether you have kids or no kids the place is awesome. i bought myself an Ugly Doll just because ... and they have a TON of gift items that the other stores that were there never carried (not to mention hard to find kids toys). and no, i'm not the owner.

Where did I bash anyone? It just seems like it's not the right time, economically, for an expensive store with limited appeal. It just seems odd that a business would open after two others with a similar model had to close down due to the slow economy.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 4:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/13 15:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm really sorry to see Bagua Juice close. I thought it was a great place with a nice atmosphere and delicious smoothies. Still, I'm glad to see something new go into the former Imagine Atrium space and plan to stop by Jack's soon.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 4:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
It would be easy to blame greedy landlords for charging too much rent, but that's not the (only) reason Bagua Juice is gone. I don't mean to gratuitously bash the Bagua, but there was a reason the place was almost always empty, even while places up the street were doing well. You can't just open a storefront and expect that people are gonna flock to your juicer. I like fresh juice, too, but if if I have to wait 20 minutes for a carrot apple ginger eye opener, I'd just as soon juice it at home. Did you ever try to get anything to eat at Bagua?

When you get into the retail business, it is what it is. Dollars and cents. Bagua would never let me slide when I couldn't afford their $8 large juice. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying, it's business.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 4:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
this post is about bagua closing ... let's not use it to bash other businesses that are trying to survive in JC. and, by the way, have you even stopped by Jack's? whether you have kids or no kids the place is awesome. i bought myself an Ugly Doll just because ... and they have a TON of gift items that the other stores that were there never carried (not to mention hard to find kids toys). and no, i'm not the owner.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 23:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry, but what drives someone to open a boutique toy store when two boutique toy stores in the same neighborhood (one in the same storefront - although I guess Imagine Atrium was a little different) shuttered within the last six months?

Posted on: 2009/9/8 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
It's sad to see another business go under.

However, with those crazy rents for such a small retail space, you would have to sell millions of juice smoothies to just make the monthly rent.... let alone make a profit.

Land lords have gotten greedy.

Have you ridden around a bus in NYC lately, almost every 5th store is empty and available. It's scary.

They are saying that the commercial market is the next shoe to drop. Hopefully it will, and those obnoxious rents will come down, thus allowing the entrepreneur to come back and start business.

Everybody should patronize the new Jacks Toy Shop which just opened up. I went in the other day and they have a nice selection of toys and games. At least they have an advantage. The toy stores in the mall - K-B Toys - went out of business.

Not sure that we should be subsidizing businesses though. I pay enough taxes as it is and not happy about it as my property has declined in value significantly.

FG

Posted on: 2009/9/8 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Someone mentioned to me that the owners of Bagua had another place down near Exchange Place.......don't know if it is true.........if that helps anyone missing their juice.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm, wonder what the rents are like at Hamilton Square, would be neat to have Bagua Juice in Hamilton Park!

Posted on: 2009/9/8 17:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, I remember that bookstore on Grove st. I loved that place and was sad to see them go. The fabric store too. And its a shame about Imagine Atrium, my kids and I loved that place and I bought something as often as I could afford to because I believe a neighborhood needs a good bookstore. I didn't really go to Bagua because I make my own juices at home, but at the same time it sucks that we keep losing interesting independent buisnesses because of the cost of rent. I wish them well and hope something new and better will work out for them (the owners & employees of Bagua).

Posted on: 2009/9/8 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
As it happens, isn't that where Grove Street Books used to be? They left because of the rent hikes.

I've heard that some of the businesses on Grove near City Hall get rent subsidies -- just heard, but I think I heard it here even -- couldn't someone subsidize a freaking bookstore? Garrad (Imagine Atrium) held discussion groups and film screenings and took an interest in the community and just couldn't make a go because the landlords weren't in JC and didn't care about whether the store was good for the community. He tried to work with them every way he could, but they were not in the least flexible to allow him to stay open.

I'm not saying an investor shouldn't make their coin, but if profiteering is the only motivation for any business decision, there's no avenue for small businesses that improve quality of life but don't make a lot of income to flourish, and the community loses.

Frankly, I find that most small business owners take that balance into account and are flexible because their customer base is in the community. An out-of-town landlord with no investment other than the $ has no incentive to care.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Beg to differ with the previous posters. I loved Bagua Juice. I hope that they will relocate.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

At the rental price quoted, it is very unlikely that a bookstore could take over the place.

I agree with you completely. The strawberry explosion smoothie was awesome, and the staff was ALWAYS so sweet!

Posted on: 2009/9/8 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Beg to differ with the previous posters. I loved Bagua Juice. I hope that they will relocate.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

At the rental price quoted, it is very unlikely that a bookstore could take over the place.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
The landlord wants 2800 amonth for the space if anyone is interested. I'm not connected to her in any way.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 11:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
hate to see someone fail, but Bagua was as bad a Juice/coffee/intenet cafe place ... ever. Any chance the bookstore will return? : (

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth

Posted on: 2009/9/8 4:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
hate to see someone fail, but Bagua was as bad a Juice/coffee/intenet cafe place ... ever. Any chance the bookstore will return? : (

Posted on: 2009/9/8 3:06

Bagua Juice - Out of Business
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Bagua Juice is apparently permanently closed.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 2:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017