Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Shooting near LSP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Made it. I did see some black people, though.

If I'd known ZH doesn't open until 4:00 I would have scheduled differently.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 20:28
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
[quote]
Iwitness wrote:

A naive person has no place in Ocean Ave and its surroundings. They're just a target waiting to be a victim. And trust me the people in that area knows who is vulernable and who is not. The street can smell that a mile away.

Absolutely agreed!!!!

Posted on: 2009/9/4 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was being hyperbolic. You keep mentioning the areas around the park. OK. There's no need to go through them them though. You are aware of the pedestrian bridge that avoids all that badness, yes?

Posted on: 2009/9/4 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
who said die? I said a victim (mug, rape, assault and sure die.)

I've lived in JC all my life. I have no bias. Personally, people who are new to JC would be better off jogging/running on Palisade Ave in the Heights than that of Ocean Ave. and it's surrounding areas if they wanted to go to LSP and jog. The park itself is not bad it's the areas to get there that is. The streetsmart people may not have a problem with the area but the naive will.

FYI:
Even the Bus Drivers would caution you about Ocean Ave and the sketchy hoods leading to LSP.

... not sure others.

***Bus Drivers would be a great source of information about neighgorhoods i speak of if you don't believe me.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm going to bike over to LSP right now. If you don't hear back from me by 7:00, send the police.

P.S. Have them check ZH first

Posted on: 2009/9/4 18:02
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Ok ok, I think you've made your completely ridiculous point. Jog to LSP and YOU WILL DIE. I get it.

Just means I'm less likely to run over you you on the pedestrian bridge.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

The same can be said for just about every subway line in the NYC Subway system. They all go through "sketchy, bad" neighborhoods. Does that stop people from riding the NYC subway?

of course. but if someone who is not familiar or a transplant , Jersey City has it's bad patches. But someone wants to jog to LSP or even walk it that has no clue what the area can be, it's best to say, be cautious. Ocean Ave. is far more worse than The Heights or Journal Square area. At least the Heights is not equilivent but is way better than OCean Ave and that part of the city.

People should scan the area with their cars before coming to a conclusion. I personally would rather drive to LSP park the car than do the jogging or running if i wanted to do it there. Better yet, I rather jog/run by the waterfront. Period. A naive person has no place in Ocean Ave and its surroundings. They're just a target waiting to be a victim. And trust me the people in that area knows who is vulernable and who is not. The street can smell that a mile away.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I almost rented an apartment at the Foundry so I spent a lot of time checking out the neighborhood and I came to the same conclusion that bodhipooh reports--while hardly an amenity, the neighborhood did not seem dangerous. I would have had great space for a good price and free parking.

The developer's form of lease scared me off. I've never seen anything like it. It basically said the landlord is not liable for anything and the tenant will cover all damages even if they are not the tenant's fault. He would not make any changes, so I walked, considering the document a bad sign. Looks like I was right.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 17:20
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, G-chick. I wouldn't choose to go for a stroll on Ocean on a Friday/Saturday night, though I have walked to bodegas on Ocean to pick up a few things at that time. For nice strolling, I go to LSP---via the back entrance near the turnpike. Which is also a rode I travel regularly on the days I am not commuting via Ocean.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad you said it, I started to say something but just kept it shut. I drive up and down Ocean a lot. While there are some bad parts, its not like I would ride with my windows up and doors locked.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I live a block off of Ocean Ave and wait for the bus/get dropped off on Ocean Ave at least 3 days a week. All times of day, in the dark some days. It is not the greatest, not the worst, and I have been doing this for 2+ years without a single incident. Not even stepping in dog gak.

I am just providing this information to offer balance to the Ocean Ave comments, not trying to change anyone's mind or say it is universally safe. I am just telling you what I do regularly in the course of my daily life, versus speculating about a different neighborhood than the one in which I live.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Reading this thread shows the ignorance of so many...

First off, JCorNYC is full of BS. To go to LSP, you do not need to go through bad neighborhoods, or even approach them. You take the HBLR and get off at the LSP light rail station, which is the one after Jersey Ave (if heading South) and before all the other ones referenced by JCorNYC.

As for Wibbit, JennyMayla and GreenevilleChick, you are all taking extreme sides of the same topic. I live in The Foundry, which is very near where the shooting took place, and across the street from the LSP area. The area that sorrounds The Foundry definitely looks sketchy (at best) but it is rather safe most of the times. We could argue ad nauseum why it is "ghetto" but the fact remains that most people would find the area, at face-value, to be "undesireable". Still, I like the area and feel safer here that I would living in many other parts of JC, including the Ocean Ave mess, as well as many/most parts of the Heights. I bike in the area often and do not fear for my life, and my hot beautiful wife (who, if it matters, appears whitey, but is actually Mexican) walks in the area and visits the bodegas and corner stores, and we never feel threatened or at risk. The worst aspect of this area, besides the litter, chicken bones and dog poop, has got to be the constant noise late at night of trucks and cars, as well as the ocassional low-life arguing with a boyfriend/girlfriend.

for the record, and since it will shame wibbit to be grouped with me, i don't think my reaction was so extreme. is it a sketchy neighborhood? maybe. but i don't think it's life threatening and i don't think there are gangbangers on the corner 24/7/365. that was my point.

oh wait, maybe you meant what i said about ocean ave. in which case, i stand by it. 100% scary and near daily police activity to prove it. so call me an extremist then. i can live with that.

I do not believe I went to an extreme either, all I said is I have no problems being at the foundry late at night. Or maybe you like that it is a little rough ( so you can brag to your friends) ... I don't think it is rough at all.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
FYI: The light rail does go to the sketchy , bad neighborhoods i speak of. And the surrounding areas of LSP IS not safe especially to those who is new to JC and that's half the population of downtown JC. So don't tell me what i said is all BS. I've lived here and AVOID that part of JC my whole life.

The same can be said for just about every subway line in the NYC Subway system. They all go through "sketchy, bad" neighborhoods. Does that stop people from riding the NYC subway?

Posted on: 2009/9/4 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Don't worry Wibbit, the flamecoat is not necessary!! I tend to agree with your takes on locations and buildings. And, like you pointed out, the quality of life issues in the area are definitely a downer.

The Foundry was much better when we first moved in. We are not owners (we rent from the original owner) so our stake in the building is much lower than for true owner residents. Still, I am VERY disappointed on the management and contractors doing the work. They seem to lack a clear plan for getting things done. If I was buying, I would be interested in this building because of the features (great hardwood floors, nice appliances, cabinets and layouts, as well as the 14 feet high ceilings) but would be hesitant because of all the issues that are not obvious to someone that hasn't lived here a while. Specifically, the contractors seem to be willfully ignorant of code and regulations, as they seem to fail every other inspection, and so they keep wasting time addressing deficiencies pointed out during those inspections. Case in point: a gym that has been LONG OVERDUE, was opened two months ago and then had to be shut down a few days later because it didnt meet all requirements. The same has happened with several units they have finished and then have had to modify before being able to rent or sell them. To answer your question, YES, the developer has pretty much given up on selling anything and they are now renting out the stock they have available. To make matters worse, they rent to anyone that is able (willing?) to pay without regards to whether or not they are suitable residents. Many of these new leases have been short term leases (six months?) so the new residents care very little for the few common areas we have and the overall feeling of the place has gone downhill... I truly despise some of the new residents, who have effectively ruined the good vibe of this place by taking little care of the building and by showing little regard for their fellow neighbors. Still, I like this building a lot.

As for the guy who pointed out the incident from last year where some deranged guy stabbed and killed a commuter, that was an isolated event involving a mentally unstable person. If I was to base my life based on the presence of mentally unstable people, I would never ride a subway, a bus, or work in Manhattan, or... well, you get the point. It was certainly a shame, and somewhat scary to have that happen so close to me, but life is full of surprises, not all good. That poor fellow who lost his life, and the family he left behind, didn't deserve that, but it wasn't something to be expected, in my opinion. Kinda like when someone walks into a mall and opens fire... not predictable, and it doesn't automatically make that mall a place to avoid. IIRC, the last mall where this happened was an upscale mall in an affluent, suburban area.

As for JCorNY, where the light rail goes to after I get off (whenever I use it, which is rare) is of little consequence to me... It could go straight to Hell and it would have little bearing to me if I am getting off before it gets there. LSP is several stops ahead of those nasty areas you mention. You ARE right about one thing: those areas should be avoided by most people, as they are tricky and dangerous, but I dont go there.

Anyway, I am NOT a liberal (more like a libertarian) but I can see how "living in a ghetto" can suck the liberal out of you... :) That made me chuckle. I still like to see the good in people, and I tend to focus on the good, rather than the bad, but it IS hard to live and keep up that attitude when faced with the realities of our dear JC.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in the neighborhood for about a year, and although crime was a factor, I have to agree with Bodhipooh that it's the quality of life stuff that make the neighborhood more " undesirable" for some. In the summer the noise level was pretty bad, especially on holiday weekends. The litter, unkept houses, lack of trees and flowers, blaring radios, and vermin were intolerable for us.

I know there are a lot of nice people down there hoping that the neighborhood will improve and doing a lot to help bring that about. I wish them luck. We just couldn't wait as we had kids, and didn't want to raise them there.

And that park/basketball court near Johnston Avenue that was mentioned is absolutely horrible. Dropping a bomb on that place would do the neighborhood good.

And to all of those who may judge me for being intolerant. I want to say, " Don't judge until you have been there". My husband, who was raised abroad and in Suburban Virginia has a different and more liberal view that I. We were sitting outside our house in Lafayette on day as people walked by throwing McDonald's containers on our sidewalk, cars drove by blaring mysoginistic, crime glorifying music, and the lady next door came out of her house mouthing off to her young kids. My husband turned to me and said, " You know, six months in the ghetto will suck the liberal right out of you".

Posted on: 2009/9/4 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FYI: The light rail does go to the sketchy , bad neighborhoods i speak of. And the surrounding areas of LSP IS not safe especially to those who is new to JC and that's half the population of downtown JC. So don't tell me what i said is all BS. I've lived here and AVOID that part of JC my whole life.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

First off, JCorNYC is full of BS. To go to LSP, you do not need to go through bad neighborhoods, or even approach them. You take the HBLR and get off at the LSP light rail station, which is the one after Jersey Ave (if heading South) and before all the other ones referenced by JCorNYC.

As for Wibbit, JennyMayla and GreenevilleChick, you are all taking extreme sides of the same topic. I live in The Foundry, which is very near where the shooting took place, and across the street from the LSP area. The area that sorrounds The Foundry definitely looks sketchy (at best) but it is rather safe most of the times. We could argue ad nauseum why it is "ghetto" but the fact remains that most people would find the area, at face-value, to be "undesireable". Still, I like the area and feel safer here that I would living in many other parts of JC, including the Ocean Ave mess, as well as many/most parts of the Heights. I bike in the area often and do not fear for my life, and my hot beautiful wife (who, if it matters, appears whitey, but is actually Mexican) walks in the area and visits the bodegas and corner stores, and we never feel threatened or at risk. The worst aspect of this area, besides the litter, chicken bones and dog poop, has got to be the constant noise late at night of trucks and cars, as well as the ocassional low-life arguing with a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:

the lightrail by LSP is fine during the day as there are a lot of commuters who park there then take the train to exchange place but not so good at night.

/puts on flamecoat

Yea tell that to the poor guy that got stabbed to death there a while back just trying to get to work.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
bodhipooh, what's going on with the foundry? i see boarded up windows that's not been fixed for ages. Are they still trying to sell that place or pretty much give up? how much did you pay for the loft?

the lightrail by LSP is fine during the day as there are a lot of commuters who park there then take the train to exchange place but not so good at night.

also people keeps confusing the topic, if someone say the place is ghetto it doesnt instantly mean run-like-hell-iam-going-to-get-killed, some of the ghetto areas you can definitely walk around without safety issues, it's just the area in general sucks with half abandoned car chopshops, garbage everywhere, shady looking individuals standing around the corner etc... why would you want to come home everyday to that?

and to answer your question: newport/exchange place if in jc. Or forest hills in queens, long island for the quiet suburbs.

/puts on flamecoat

Posted on: 2009/9/3 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, I am trying to be realistic and honest. No agendas. I am not entirely happy with the neighborhood, but I recognize that it is better than many (most?) other parts of JC. That being said, what would constitute, in your opinion, a "real dream living situation" in JC??

Posted on: 2009/9/3 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

sounds like a real dream living situation

Posted on: 2009/9/3 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

for the record, and since it will shame wibbit to be grouped with me, i don't think my reaction was so extreme. is it a sketchy neighborhood? maybe. but i don't think it's life threatening and i don't think there are gangbangers on the corner 24/7/365. that was my point.

oh wait, maybe you meant what i said about ocean ave. in which case, i stand by it. 100% scary and near daily police activity to prove it. so call me an extremist then. i can live with that.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/3 19:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
It's the park. Dr. Lena Edwards Park. On Johnston between Pine and Whiton. It has been a terrible summer with the park and residents are doing our best to get someone besides the police to address it. The police respond to calls and arrest people for everything from drugs to shootings there, but no one else in city government wants to help us address it in any real permanent way. We don't have enough police to be parked there 24/7.
If it wasn't for that park i would feel very safe walking to the light rail, Pathmark, etc. And honestly, no one in their right mind would take their children to it with what is happening there. You have a playground at liberty state park a few blocks away, and one a few blocks in the other direction at Lafayette (now Ercel Webb park)- both nice and recently redone.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
did you just move to jc yesterday? if those goons dress up like punks with big white tshirt and XXXL jeans that are half falling off, talking trash, and hanging on the street corners. Damn right i will judge the book by its cover.

By living in vvp and not over there, you are judging book by its cover too, because you know, if you actually lived there you will know they are all upstanding citizens and very hospitable.

So yeah dont throw stones in a glass house and all that.

and bring back the mickey mouse!!

Posted on: 2009/9/1 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
lsp and lsc are nice, but the driving to there is not. I remember getting off grand st and driving through the local roads there a couple times, and always you got gangbangers lining up the street.

Driving is fine just be alert if you are the only car at a stop light, but i wouldnt want to walk there.

You are making this up. Gangbangers? Lined up along the street? Always? I cannot accept this is true.

I have driven to LSP countless times over the years and never once felt unsafe. And I'm sort of a chicken.

huh? maybe i will take some pics next time. Coming from downtown i always go from grand st to pacific ave then se. When you get closer to lsc, i see those badly modded japanese cars with the gangbangers standing around them. I dont know if they are flashing signs or what, but they are always there.

To the pitbull chick, get off your high horse, it has nothing to do with the color/race.

ps jennymalyle bring back the old avatar, the new one sucks.

oh sweet wibbit. sigh. ok, take some pics. and continue to judge books by their covers.

as for the av, i'm glad it bugs.

xo

Posted on: 2009/9/1 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Here we go again!!! The threads here always seem to come down to "ooooh is it safe?" The answers always boil down to, use caution, scope out the area on your way through during the day and night, preferably in pairs until you know better.

Of course. This is why if I do go running over there, it'll be during the day. However, because I'm new in town, I figured it also wouldn't hurt to solicit opinions from people who have been around for longer than I have. I'm not using this forum as a replacement for my own common sense about safety; rather, I'm using it to gather all of the information I can before I potentially venture off---on foot---into a less-than-desirable neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
Here we go again!!! The threads here always seem to come down to "ooooh is it safe?" The answers always boil down to, use caution, scope out the area on your way through during the day and night, preferably in pairs until you know better. And after that it boils down to what kind of fear level you have and exactly what kinds of things you are afraid of. If you are afraid of dogs I wouldn't expect you to go to a dog run, if you are afraid of ANY color or culture or religion of folk I wouldn't expect you to go to a neighborhood that was dominated by those fear factors of yours, etc. etc. I am afraid of police so I follow all the laws including buckling my seatbelt. OH and I LOVE pitbulls. Too bad they and other big dogs get a bad rap. I even read that black dogs are the least adopted because they remind some folk of evil. Hey, black goes with everything.

+ infinity

LMAO

I have a black dog too.... Ebony and Ivory

Posted on: 2009/9/1 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Here we go again!!! The threads here always seem to come down to "ooooh is it safe?" The answers always boil down to, use caution, scope out the area on your way through during the day and night, preferably in pairs until you know better. And after that it boils down to what kind of fear level you have and exactly what kinds of things you are afraid of. If you are afraid of dogs I wouldn't expect you to go to a dog run, if you are afraid of ANY color or culture or religion of folk I wouldn't expect you to go to a neighborhood that was dominated by those fear factors of yours, etc. etc. I am afraid of police so I follow all the laws including buckling my seatbelt. OH and I LOVE pitbulls. Too bad they and other big dogs get a bad rap. I even read that black dogs are the least adopted because they remind some folk of evil. Hey, black goes with everything.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

My dog is not a pitbull thank you.

If you put a black area around on one eye he/she would look kinda like spuds Mckensie...especially wearing that shirt! I dont know what kind of dog Spuds was, not a pitbull tho...

Ok, so now I know what he will be for Halloween thanks lol

Posted on: 2009/9/1 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

My dog is not a pitbull thank you.

If you put a black area around on one eye he/she would look kinda like spuds Mckensie...especially wearing that shirt! I dont know what kind of dog Spuds was, not a pitbull tho...

Posted on: 2009/9/1 18:48

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017