Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: DOWNTOWN: LIGHT RAIL TRAIN HITS TAXI -- CABBIE INJURED ( It is believed the taxi ran a red light
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I realize the police have other priorities, but do they ever enforce red lights, stop signs and turning rules?

A few weeks ago, I was on the corner of Montgomery and Jersey. There was a police cruiser waiting at the traffic light going north on Jersey. Just as the light changed green for the traffic on Jersey, a car ran the red light going east on Montgomery. I looked at the cop, who leaned forward to look at the car that ran the red light, then he looked at me, and then he continued north.

So the simple answer seems to be no. Maybe he was on another call, maybe he had other pressing business, or maybe he really didn't care.

Sadly, there are a lot of cops out there who do their job well and care about the people and their city, but there are also a handful of other cops that don't care and are there just to earn a check. Then again, aren't all jobs like that.

i just got stuck thru two lights on Marin because a transit cop car was stopped in the middle of the street on the double line. when i finally got to drive past her, she seemed to be texting on her cell phone.

sweet.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:59

Re: DOWNTOWN: LIGHT RAIL TRAIN HITS TAXI -- CABBIE INJURED ( It is believed the taxi ran a red light. )
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I realize the police have other priorities, but do they ever enforce red lights, stop signs and turning rules?

A few weeks ago, I was on the corner of Montgomery and Jersey. There was a police cruiser waiting at the traffic light going north on Jersey. Just as the light changed green for the traffic on Jersey, a car ran the red light going east on Montgomery. I looked at the cop, who leaned forward to look at the car that ran the red light, then he looked at me, and then he continued north.

So the simple answer seems to be no. Maybe he was on another call, maybe he had other pressing business, or maybe he really didn't care.

Sadly, there are a lot of cops out there who do their job well and care about the people and their city, but there are also a handful of other cops that don't care and are there just to earn a check. Then again, aren't all jobs like that.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 18:35
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Re: DOWNTOWN: LIGHT RAIL TRAIN HITS TAXI -- CABBIE INJURED ( It is believed the taxi ran a red light. )
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You'd hope the professional drivers would take the lead in following traffic laws to promote save roads, but, as in NYC, the drivers of taxis, delivery vans and jitneys behave as if the laws don't apply to them. They encourage bad behavior by other drivers through their example. Since their livelihoods are at stake, a police crackdown on them would probably be an effective way to start changing the lawlessness of the streets. I realize the police have other priorities, but do they ever enforce red lights, stop signs and turning rules?

Posted on: 2009/8/21 17:26
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The Hamilton Square Jitney drivers have some problems:
http://www.newyorkssixth.com/2008/11/ ... e-jitney-strikes-car.html

I was there for the aftermath of that accident.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 17:24
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
On my drive home last night, one of those Hamilton Park buses ran a stop sign right in front of me at 10th and Jersey. I was heading south and he was heading west. He ran the sign to make the turn onto Jersey.

I'm beginning to think that all traffic signals are optional in NJ.

The Hamilton Square Jitney drivers have some problems:
http://www.newyorkssixth.com/2008/11/ ... e-jitney-strikes-car.html

Posted on: 2009/8/21 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
On my drive home last night, one of those Hamilton Park buses ran a stop sign right in front of me at 10th and Jersey. I was heading south and he was heading west. He ran the sign to make the turn onto Jersey.

I'm beginning to think that all traffic signals are optional in NJ.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on Essex St. for years and observed light rail conductors routinely running red lights. Usually the conductor would bring the train to a stop and crane his/her neck both ways before continuing, but it still used to piss me off (although not as much as when they blow their foghorns at 2AM).

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
Shocker - a taxi ran a red light? Even though its against the law to talk on mobile phones (unless they're hands-free), EVERY SINGLE time I've taken a taxi in JC - there's the driver, phone in hand, pressed against his ear - speaking in tongues and not paying attention to what he's doing. I'm sure absolutely no lesson will be learned here....FO SHO

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:45

DOWNTOWN: LIGHT RAIL TRAIN HITS TAXI -- CABBIE INJURED ( It is believed the taxi ran a red light. )
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
LIGHT RAIL TRAIN HITS TAXI; CABBIE INJURED

Friday, August 21, 2009

A Hudson Bergen Light Rail train collided with a taxi in Downtown Jersey City, injuring the driver yesterday morning.

NJ Transit spokeswoman Courtney Carroll said a southbound train struck a taxicab at Washington Boulevard and Essex Street at about 11 a.m.

The train crushed the right side of taxi, with minimal damage to the train. The driver was taken to Jersey City Medical Center for minor injuries.

Carroll said it is believed the taxi ran a red light.

A dispatcher who answered the phone at United Taxi said he did not know the extent of the driver's injuries.

It is not clear whether the driver of either vehicle will face any penalties. Carroll said there was minimal disruption to services.

CHARLES HACK

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017