Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Possible new tea house - would you go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
I want to say I'll go, and I will to totally support a new coffee/tea place opening. I have tried supporting several places geographically desirable to me, but either the hours weren't consistent, the food wasn't fresh or the price point was too high vs. quality of food served.

I have found I never frequent anywhere except Basic for a few reasons. They are consistent with their hours so I know when they are open. I go for flavored coffee. They have it. It's always consistently the same freshness and it's reliable. They open early and consistently open. (I say that as there's another coffee place that wasn't always consistently open and I am a creature of habit, if I can't rely on their hours, I won't go).

I will eat new and interesting food if it's a good price point (there's another place where I wanted to support their cupcakes but the price vs. quality didn't make it worth it), and it's consistently good and fresh. Even if you are a coffee house or tea house - the food you put out will matter more if the customer thinks it's not fresh or doesn't taste good, LOL. I say this based on my surprise with this other local shop where the food was never really fresh - why serve it?

It always shocks me how places will open up and assume it's all about the ambience when if the food and drink are GOOD and FRESH (tea/coffee included) then you will get customers even if you are a hole in the wall.

I agree with you 100% in today's society people are more enamored with glitter than the principle and practical side of their purchase.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/12 20:53
Group:
Registered Users
i totally agree with creativeconquests - a lot of coffee shop-like places have opened up recently in the downtown area, but i don't think any of them have successfully achieved: good hours (mornings and evenings), consistent schedule, good service!, fresh food, variety of food (savory and sweet), at decent prices.
Not all places can be all things to all people - I understand that. But there is not one coffe shop-type place downtown that I enjoy going to right now.
I am in-between Hamilton Park and VVP and I would walk to either location you are suggesting, provided that the place was worth it!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 17:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/16 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
My girlfriend and I would definitely go to a new place. I'm closer to Bright and there isn't anything over here filling that niche.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I want to say I'll go, and I will to totally support a new coffee/tea place opening. I have tried supporting several places geographically desirable to me, but either the hours weren't consistent, the food wasn't fresh or the price point was too high vs. quality of food served.

I have found I never frequent anywhere except Basic for a few reasons. They are consistent with their hours so I know when they are open. I go for flavored coffee. They have it. It's always consistently the same freshness and it's reliable. They open early and consistently open. (I say that as there's another coffee place that wasn't always consistently open and I am a creature of habit, if I can't rely on their hours, I won't go).

I will eat new and interesting food if it's a good price point (there's another place where I wanted to support their cupcakes but the price vs. quality didn't make it worth it), and it's consistently good and fresh. Even if you are a coffee house or tea house - the food you put out will matter more if the customer thinks it's not fresh or doesn't taste good, LOL. I say this based on my surprise with this other local shop where the food was never really fresh - why serve it?

It always shocks me how places will open up and assume it's all about the ambience when if the food and drink are GOOD and FRESH (tea/coffee included) then you will get customers even if you are a hole in the wall.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 16:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/16 17:39
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I was mainly asking because I have two main areas that I'm looking at: closer to Newark Ave and closer to Bright St near Van Vorst park. I can see how these spots differ, but I was wondering how much crossover they might get.
And yes, I will have both vegan and non-vegan options, but no meat products unless they are faux.
I will also allow "lounging" and working and may have a communal table table or two.
I would like to open early for the pre-work crowd, but I'd also like to host events at night.
Any more feedback would be great.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 16:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
I know my wife and I would be there in a second, but of course we live on Bright. The area gets plenty of foot traffic and downtown could definitely use a tea house.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
I would go, but.... you would need baby friendly areas, changing stations, non smoking areas outdoors, absolutely no gum on the sidewalk, chairs with cushions, adjustable umbrellas, no gravel, cannot be within earshot of the lightrail, make sure it is on york st. and not bright as the wind blows down bright st. with much more force, a bicycle rack with locks provided, childcare, sandwiches for under $3, all hoboken residents denied entrance, no pets, but a pet friendly area, open 24/7, provide free taxi service within a 10 mile radius, and serve oolong tea.

And 2 entrance doors creating a vestibule so you won't feel a draft while sitting and sipping inside.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
I would go, but.... you would need baby friendly areas, changing stations, non smoking areas outdoors, absolutely no gum on the sidewalk, chairs with cushions, adjustable umbrellas, no gravel, cannot be within earshot of the lightrail, make sure it is on york st. and not bright as the wind blows down bright st. with much more force, a bicycle rack with locks provided, childcare, sandwiches for under $3, all hoboken residents denied entrance, no pets, but a pet friendly area, open 24/7, provide free taxi service within a 10 mile radius, and serve oolong tea.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Recent WSJ article on coffee shop lingering:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124950421033208823.html

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cat_man_dude wrote:
it sounds like a lovely idea but I don't see the logic in encouraging people to hang out for hours in comfy chairs surfing the net for hours for the price of a $3 cup of tea. I always thought the way to make money in an eatery is high volume/high turnover. no, I would suggest extremely hard, uncomfortable chairs. As far as the free wifi, that's fine as long as you find a way to monitor each persons usage and when you notice their cup is empty, inject a barrage of friendly reminder pop ups into their data stream. these could be subtle messages like "GOT TEA?", or "This is not the friggin library, BUY SOMETHING CHEAPASS!".

Yep. This is the concern I was getting at.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/8 5:29
Group:
Banned
it sounds like a lovely idea but I don't see the logic in encouraging people to hang out for hours in comfy chairs surfing the net for hours for the price of a $3 cup of tea. I always thought the way to make money in an eatery is high volume/high turnover. no, I would suggest extremely hard, uncomfortable chairs. As far as the free wifi, that's fine as long as you find a way to monitor each persons usage and when you notice their cup is empty, inject a barrage of friendly reminder pop ups into their data stream. these could be subtle messages like "GOT TEA?", or "This is not the friggin library, BUY SOMETHING CHEAPASS!".

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/10 22:33
From not far off the beaten PATH
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the HP area and I would definitely go. There is a shortage of coffee/tea places that you can go to and relax or bring the ole' laptop. I'm supportive of vegan desserts, but you should also have organic for those that do not enjoy vegan. A mixture of both to entice everyone.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
I live nearby. I would go if you're friendly to hours-long study sessions.

Janam was not. They did not have enough seating.

Otherwise, I might pop in from time-to-time.

One several occassions, I found Sweet Priscilla's food to be overpriced, underseasoned, and *not* vegetarian despite the labels. (I chomped my first piece of bacon in 15 yrs. Thanks, jerk!).

So, don't do that.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is the location you are looking at, the old Grand Street Gallery? That's a great location for a deli, tea house, coffee shop, or even a small bar I'd think.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
I would definitely go. Do you plan on using loose or bagged tea? I am a loose tea fan, haven't had bagged in months. Definitely open up closer to Grand St. or Grove St. There's a huge market share on Grand St. for something like this.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Not a fan of bubble tea or vegan deserts.

I do like vegetarian meals and incorporate them into my meat-eating diet, but when it comes to vegan deserts - to me, a good vegan desert is a nice fruit bowl and not mocks of cookies and cakes made without dairy and eggs.

I would go, but would go more often if it was more like Janam - traditional teas and selections of real cookies and cakes (and a nice fruit bowl).

:)

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Paulus Hook but we go to VVP a lot. I would go if it were child/baby friendly (i.e. enough room for a stroller, changing tables). Lots of moms I know have talked about how there is a lack of coffee shops in the VVP area where we can grab an ice coffee or whatever before we head to the park.

Does it have to be vegetarian? LOL!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/31 11:56
Group:
Registered Users
I live near Hamilton Park and I would definitely go. I am still in mourning over Janam's closing.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
i would go.. but i live on bright and varick

what place were you looking at? the one on bright that is vacant that used to be a dry cleaner near varick?

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

liss54 wrote:
I am thinking about opening a tea shop near the area of Bright St and York St and a block or two from Van Vorst park...

There is plenty of construction along Grand St and potentially an increase of clientele that walk to the PATH and may frequent a tea shop to and from work. Do your homework. Visit successful shops in NYC and don't reinvent the wheel.

I would try to locate closer to Grove and City Hall and find a location with space for outdoor seating. Newark Avenue is a dead zone right now, but if your shop is that good, your business may become one of the few anchor establishments that will help bring quality businesses to the avenue.

Negotiate your rent and lock in a two or three year lease with no increase as property owners are eager to rent their empty spaces in a soft economy.

Feature art from locals and contact Liberty Humane to host a fund raising event.

Good luck, and I look forward to a white ginger tea and some warm cookies.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Yes I would definitely go! Will you open early, as in the morning? Some teahouses do not open till late afternoons. I do not eat vegan hopefully you will have some organic items there as well. And by the way I live in the Heights and will bike down there so the location is fine. Looking forward to it.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 11:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
What time would you think of closing? I don't go out until midnight. Seriously.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 6:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 5th near Manilla and I wouldn't go. If I was in the area, sure, but I'm lazy and would almost assuredly not go that far for a cuppa. That's mostly what I missed about Janam - it was on my way to the Path/buses/cabs and was near my laundromat. Good luck if you open it however. Any place in the vicinity where I may pass by a couple times a month might is nice to have.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
There are no restaurants similar to Red Bamboo or Vegetarian Paradise in JC, but there are lots of places where you can get tea. Capitalize on those snacks you may (possibly?) offer.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 4:35

Possible new tea house - would you go?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/16 17:39
Group:
Registered Users
I am thinking about opening a tea shop near the area of Bright St and York St and a block or two from Van Vorst park.
This shop will have iced tea, tea, and bubble tea as well as vegan desserts and vegetarian snacks. It will also have an occasional event such as an open mic night or movie night.
I will also offer comfortable seating and free wifi.
Would go you if say, you live at Newark Ave and 2nd St? Coles and First? These are just examples, but do you think there's a need for a spot like this?
If so, what would you like to see it serve or do?
Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 4:17

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017