Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: ShopRite - the place where you feel safe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Meh, my father and I have each been going there about once a week since it opened. Haven't had any problems with staff that I can recall. Not all of them are all that polite, but its a cruddy job, so I'm not terribly surprised when someone is a bit brisk. As long as it's professional and not stupid, I don't have a problem with people not being smiley and fawning and whatever adjective you want.

Never seen a fight in the lot, never seen anything go down in the store. Every time I've had a problem finding something (which is rare, but does happen), I've managed to get someone to give me a hand without fuss. Prices are better there than most places aside from certain things - ground beef $2/lb at C-Town, produce better at 440 farmers market, etc. I mean, today was a bunch of unexpected stuff because I didn't look at this week's circular: 2.5 doz eggs for $2.99, cheerios at $1.69/box, black bear potato salad $2/lb, Nathans hot dogs half price.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I avoid that ShopRite for a couple of reasons -

1.All the horror stories associates with people getting towed there, often under unfair circumstances. I've never been towed there, but now avoid the place on principal. If ShopRite and other merchants there realize that people avoid the place because of towing, maybe they'll be forced to re-think the management of their parking lot. This is by far the #1 reason I avoid ShopRite and will remain as such. There was an extensive thread about this topic.

ditto, i havent gone back since they towed my mom's car when she was visiting me from out of state and had a PA license plate. I think cars should be towed if they are parked illegally, but the situation over there is just a scam. They literally had lookouts, and the MINUTE the person leaves the car they would come charge in, load it up and run away, almost like stealing a car.

Anyway goto stop n shop in bayonne, it is so much better and a LOT cheaper.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 18:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/20 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Report it to Shoprite headquarters.

I did registered a complaint at their website. We'll see if there is gonna be any response from them at all. Or do I have to write to somebody else in order to send it to their headquaters?

Posted on: 2009/8/9 17:21
"You are the flower and I am the bee" - Ko Bong, Zen Master.
- But, if the whole world is a single flower, then who is the bee?

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ACTPOHABT wrote:
@regulator: since when "being crazy" relieves management and security especially from doing what they are supposed to do (providing a safe environment for their customers)?Quote:

regulator wrote:
thats a really random story. i dont know why they would shake their fist at you or your friend unprovoked. maybe they're just crazy. kinda dumb that security didnt kick them out, especially if it wasnt the first time that it happened.

they do have pretty cheap prices, but a) i wouldnt go specifically there just due to the prices, and b) i wouldnt specifically avoid it due to 'ghettoness'. mostly i go in because it's right next door to the BJ's, which is where i get most of my stuff. the leftover stuff i cant / won't get from BJ's is acquired at shoprite

it doesn't relieve management from doing that. the 'crazy' part was trying to rationalize why the people did that in the first place. i dont know why management wouldnt do anything about it though

Posted on: 2009/8/9 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Report it to Shoprite headquarters.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I also think Pathmark is nicer than Shoprite. The Jersey City Shoprite is the nastiest supermarket I have ever been in.

Nasty customers, surly staff, a horrid place all round.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

3.It's funny, despite being in a somewhat less desirable area, the Pathmark over by Montgomery (think that's the street) and the ramp up the NJ Turnpike feels a lot less ghetto than the ShopRite and I've never had a problem there, never felt unsafe and never heard customers yelling about something ridiculous (like I have at the ShopRite).

You've got to be kidding me. That is the most laughable statement I've read.

I think I understand what caj11 is getting at, though I don't like the term "ghetto." The Pathmark won't even let its carts out to the parking lot which is a hardly a sign of respect for its customers and its selection of products tends toward the low cost. However, the atmosphere there does seem less hostile than at Shoprite. There's something about Shoprite that brings out the angry in people. It's just not a friendly vibe.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:44
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
they do have pretty cheap prices, but a) i wouldnt go specifically there just due to the prices, and b) i wouldnt specifically avoid it due to 'ghettoness'. mostly i go in because it's right next door to the BJ's, which is where i get most of my stuff. the leftover stuff i cant / won't get from BJ's is acquired at shoprite

I'm shopping less at Shop-Rite because its not that cheap, McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal is $6-8 at SR depending on when you go I found it at Whole Foods in Edgewater for $5, the fruits and veggies are about the same price and much fresher at WH, the broccoli doesn't start to turn brown and yellow by the time I take it out of the bag as it does when I bought it at SR.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Wait, Wegman's is cheaper than Shoprite?

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MeowMeow wrote:
I only go to the grocery stores in Jersey City for an emergency. I get frustrated and angry just being in their parking lots. I rather drive out of my way to Stop and Shop in Bayonne or Wegman's in Woodbridge, they're cheaper, the service and products are better, and the people are a little nicer. Wegman's is just great in general and is a company that actually treats its employees and customers right. I try to avoid any shopping in JC it's not worth the hassle.

I never buy fish from places around JC either. I hop on my 72' yacht and hire a crew to catch it all fresh for me. Then we drive down to Virginia to buy some real charcoal, then drive back up to JC and grill our freshly caught fish. It's very economical.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 14:37
Group:
Registered Users
I only go to the grocery stores in Jersey City for an emergency. I get frustrated and angry just being in their parking lots. I rather drive out of my way to Stop and Shop in Bayonne or Wegman's in Woodbridge, they're cheaper, the service and products are better, and the people are a little nicer. Wegman's is just great in general and is a company that actually treats its employees and customers right. I try to avoid any shopping in JC it's not worth the hassle.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@regulator: since when "being crazy" relieves management and security especially from doing what they are supposed to do (providing a safe environment for their customers)?Quote:

regulator wrote:
thats a really random story. i dont know why they would shake their fist at you or your friend unprovoked. maybe they're just crazy. kinda dumb that security didnt kick them out, especially if it wasnt the first time that it happened.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ou've got to be kidding me. That is the most laughable statement I've read.

totally agree

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've never felt unsafe at Shoprite, and I do find that on average, it's much cheaper than A&P, which I think is overpriced. It's probably crowded _because_ it's the cheapest market. The crowds can be overbearing on the weekends, but to me, the prices are usually worth braving the crowds.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

3.It's funny, despite being in a somewhat less desirable area, the Pathmark over by Montgomery (think that's the street) and the ramp up the NJ Turnpike feels a lot less ghetto than the ShopRite and I've never had a problem there, never felt unsafe and never heard customers yelling about something ridiculous (like I have at the ShopRite).

You've got to be kidding me. That is the most laughable statement I've read.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 6:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/9 4:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/6 7:24
Group:
Registered Users
We stopped using this ShopRite after witnessing one too many confrontations among customers in the parking lot and the store itself. Many of the customers seemed very aggressive and angry. When some customers became unruly, the staff either ignored the threats made to other customers or disappeared. We prefer to spend our time and our money in a more civilized store, where we are not threatened or otherwise made to feel at risk.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I avoid that ShopRite for a couple of reasons -

1.All the horror stories associates with people getting towed there, often under unfair circumstances. I've never been towed there, but now avoid the place on principal. If ShopRite and other merchants there realize that people avoid the place because of towing, maybe they'll be forced to re-think the management of their parking lot. This is by far the #1 reason I avoid ShopRite and will remain as such. There was an extensive thread about this topic.

2.It is usually crowded and being smaller in surface area and having lower ceilings than the A&P, always feels so cramped. It's just so unpleasant. I would guess the large public housing across the street is what contributes to the store being so crowded all the time. Granted the A&P can get crowded, but the high ceilings and wider aisles make it a little more bearable.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
That ShopRite is so ghetto. Plus, I'm not convinced that it's cheaper than A&P.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 2:36

ShopRite - the place where you feel safe!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to raise a concern about customer safety at my local Shop Rite (of Metro Plaza).

On August 5th I came to the store with my friend and as we came to a check out register we were asked to go to another register by a customer who was having problems with checking out. Which we did, but all of a sudden that same customer started yelling at us saying that we were rude. The next moment she was joined by her husband who closed in on us and started shaking his fist at my friend?s face. Their yelling and threatening lasted for about 5 minutes.

During that time none of the employees came to our rescue. As it turned out later, the manager did come out to the front during that time but never announced his presence. The security guy was standing by next to him but never asked those people to leave the store. The manager looked scared himself and the security guy was just chilling and did not seem to care.

When we approached them after the situation resolved itself and asked them why they never got involved they said they have had similar problems with this couple before and that they seemed ?harmless?. And none of them apologized either.

So I am wondering since when shaking a fist at other people became ?harmless? and I will not go back to that store until I am assured that I can actually be safe there. I consider situations like that absolutely unacceptable and would like to see how the store is going to re-mediate this after registering a complaint at their website.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 2:15

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017