Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 »

Re: Several local politicians arrested on corruption charges
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
From the complaint naming Mariano Vega, a Jersey City councilman: On or about March 5, 2009, at a restaurant in Jersey City, defendant Vega met with JC Official 2 and the CW. Before defendant Vega arrived, JC Official 2 advised the CW that the CW could discuss with defendant Vega the development projects that the CW purportedly was interested in doing in Jersey City. The CW inquired of JC Official 2 if defendant Vega would accept cash for his official assistance, to which JC Official 2 responded that the CW could probably give defendant Vega a check (for a political contribution) and that defendant Vega would be ?on board? with that.

There's why they all voted down 'pay to play'.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Who is incumbent JC Official 4????????

Adonis says Healy. I tend to agree. It is definitely at least an incumbent council member.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
From the Cammarano complaint:

Defendant Cammarano assured the CW [cooperating witness] that ?[y]ou can put your faith in me.? Cammarano assured the CW that ?I promise you . . . you?re gonna be, you?re gonna be treated like a friend.? [I]f the CW was to ?come over here, you know, and I wanna do, eh, I need a zone change, I need something, I wanna make sure that I, you know, you, you?re my man.

From the complaint naming Guy Catrillo, a Jersey City politician:

On or about April 27, 2009, at approximately 5:46 p.m., FBI agents intercepted an incoming call from defendant CATRILLO to the Consultant?s cell phone. During the conversation, the Consultant asked defendant CATRILLO, ?Did you get the money from [the CW] when we saw him the other day [April 23rd]?? Defendant CATRILLO replied, ?Yeah, I, I took care of that. Yeah.? The Consultant responded, ?Okay, good. Then I won?t push to get it.? Defendant CATRILLO then indicated that he had already put the cash to use, noting that ?[y]eah, so, you know, that?s, that?s going out to, uh, you know, to the streets.?

From the complaint naming Mariano Vega, a Jersey City councilman:

On or about March 5, 2009, at a restaurant in Jersey City, defendant Vega met with JC Official 2 and the CW. Before defendant Vega arrived, JC Official 2 advised the CW that the CW could discuss with defendant Vega the development projects that the CW purportedly was interested in doing in Jersey City. The CW inquired of JC Official 2 if defendant Vega would accept cash for his official assistance, to which JC Official 2 responded that the CW could probably give defendant Vega a check (for a political contribution) and that defendant Vega would be ?on
board? with that.

From the complaint naming Rosenbaum (kidney trafficking):

The CW then inquired about the price for purchasing a kidney from a paid donor to which defendant ROSENBAUM responded ?[t]he price with what we are asking here is a hundred fifty thousand dollars.? When the CW reminded defendant ROSENBAUM that an earlier recipient known to the CW (?Recipient 1″) had been charged only one hundred forty-thousand dollars, defendant ROSENBAUM laughed, and quipped ?I knew it?s coming.? Defendant ROSENBAUM also indicated that half of the total price would have to be paid up front while ?the rest of it is?-when I get the donor in the hospital, check them out. . . .?

From the complaint naming Kassin (money laundering):

On or about June 27, 2007, Coconspirator Nahum met with the CW in Coconspirator Nahum?s office in Deal. During the ensuing conversation, Coconspirator Nahum provided the CW with a check in the amount of $9,000 drawn upon the account of defendant KASSIN?s Charitable Organization and made out, per the CW?s request, to COE, a charitable organization operated by Ben Haim. After Coconspirator Nahum indicated that defendant KASSIN was ?big,? the CW asked ?so if I have like, uh, you know, fifty thousand a month for the next three months, he can handle it, no problem?? Coconspirator Nahum responded that defendant KASSIN would be able to do so. The CW then asked Coconspirator Nahum ?[i]f I give it to you, he?ll do it right away?? Coconspirator Nahum replied ?[y]eah, sure.? The CW then asked, by way of clarification, ?[t]hat?s what he does?? Coconspirator Nahum responded simply, ?[y]eah, that?s what he does.? Coconspirator Nahum also confirmed that defendant KASSIN charged a percentage for each of these deals.

Other complaints can be found by clicking on each individual?s name: Moshe Altman; Charlie Ammon; Leona Beldini, Edward Cheatham and Jack Shaw; Joseph Cardwell; Joseph Castagna, Michael J. Manzo, Denis Jaslow; Itzak Friedlander; Richard Greene and L. Harvey Smith; John Guarini; Shimon Haber; Maher A. Khalil; James P. King; Louis and Ronald Manzo; Anthony Suarez and Vincent Tabbachino; Daniel Van Pelt; Lavern Webb-Washington; Jeffrey Williamson; Eliahu Ben Haim; Schmulik Cohen; Levi Deutch and Binyomin Spira; Yeshayahu Ehrental; Mordechai Fish, Lavel Schwartz and Yolie Gertner; Edmund Nahum; Abe Pollock and Naftoly Weber; Arye Weiss.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I think that it is important to note that these are the bribes that they actually were caught taking. In Peter Cammarano's case, for example, some people are wondering why he would risk his career for $10k from one developer (Dweck). You need to know that this was the only developer wearing a wire. How many passed him envelopes full of cash who were not wearing a wire?

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I just finished reading the official criminal complaint against Deputy Mayor Leona Beldini. I don't know how Mayor Healy has escaped being arrested this morning. He is mentioned all through out the complaint as "JC Official 4".

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I keep thinking about Guy Catrillo's smear campaign against Fulop where he said that Fulop does not have "one friend" in the city and that he never votes with the rest of the council. I also remember Guy saying something about how he has "a lot of friends" and that would help him be a better councilman. Look at what all of those "friends" are involved with now.

What. An. Ass.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Back on track...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... uption_investig.html#more

There's your connection. The CW is a member of the community where the laundering arrests went down- His Dad runs one of the Synagogues in Deal.

So basically he knew things about alot of people & started chirping about all of em when he got busted.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
New Jersey's corruption problem is the worst, if not the worst, in the nation," said another FBI official.

Incredibly, included in the sting was a kidney salesman who allegedly, "enticed vulnerable people to give up their kidneys for $10,000. This man would then turn around and sell the kidney for $160,000," said the FBI.

Yeah, i didnt expect the scope of this to include organ harvesting/human organ-selling ring! The exerpt below is from another article. Unreal, i hope we have a special election also.

"Officials say separate from the corruption probe, some of the suspects charged today were also connected to an illegal human organ-selling ring. Investigators say some charged would take cash payments to help find organs for sick patients in need of transplants. It's unclear where the body parts might have come from or how many surgeries may have been done."

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/17 18:59
From Hudson Co.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Corzine said. "It was outrageous. I will not tolerate this".

Corzine must be sh**ting his pants right now as he watches his reelection chances go down the toilet. Watch the company you keep, Jonny Boy. Hopefully the feds are holding a cell for you and Healy.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Vega, for one, also holds jobs with the County.

This could get huge once these birds start singing.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Even though we all know those kind of stuff are going on around here, but i must admit i was surprised to see fbi actually doing something about it.

Now the big shocker was how little money we were talking about here. In that pdf, the mayor of hoboken was taking 4 and 5 figures to risk everything and selling out. That just amazes me, i would imagined it would take much more money to buy these guys out. I guess times are tough, even the bribes are at a discount now

healy will get by, he's way too slick to get caught.

Think about all the other people that gave him money, I am sure the C.W. wasn't the only one, just the only one the FBI can prove he did this with.

The same goes for the rest I am sure this wasn't there first time doing this.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
STAR LEDGER NEWARK -- Gov. Jon Corzine announced today that Department of Community Affairs Commissioner Joseph Doria has resigned from his post after federal officials raided his Bayonne home and office amid a wide-ranging federal corruption probe.

Doria, a former state senator and assemblyman, is not among the 44 people identified as charged in the corruption investigation, but Corzine said he asked for and received Doria's resignation this afternoon after learning of the FBI search of Doria's office.

"The scope of corruption is beyond anything," Corzine said. "It was outrageous. I will not tolerate this."

Corzine said he had already spoken to Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts (D-Camden) and both agreed that Assemblymen L. Harvey Smith (D-Hudson) and Daniel Van Pelt (R-Monmouth), who were among those charged today should also resign.

Corzine said he did not believe any other members of his administration were involved in the federal probe.

Other key politicians charged today include Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell, and Ridgefield Mayor Anthony Suarez.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Even though we all know those kind of stuff are going on around here, but i must admit i was surprised to see fbi actually doing something about it.

Now the big shocker was how little money we were talking about here. In that pdf, the mayor of hoboken was taking 4 and 5 figures to risk everything and selling out. That just amazes me, i would imagined it would take much more money to buy these guys out. I guess times are tough, even the bribes are at a discount now

healy will get by, he's way too slick to get caught.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:26

The JC 15
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
The JC 15:

Leona Beldini, 74, of Jersey City, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Joseph Cardwell, 68, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with agreeing to offer bribe to public official

Joseph Castagna, 53, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Guy Catrillo, 54, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with attempted extortion under color of official right

Edward Cheatam, 61, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Richard Greene, 45, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under of official right

Maher A. Khalil, 39, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right & attempted extortion

James P. "Jimmy" King, 67, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Louis Manzo, 54, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Michael Manzo, 53, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Lori Serrano, 37, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Jack Shaw, 61, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

L. Harvey Smith, 60, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under of official right

Mariano Vega, 59, of Jersey City, NJ, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right

Lavern Webb-Washington, 60, of Jersey City, charged with conspiracy to commit extortion of official right

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
In terms of corruption - because these guys were caught - we have now taken over the #1 spot from Illinois! Way to go NJ!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
It kinda makes me sick to see Lori Serrano on that list of names... I know she's a single mother of two and I cringe to think she would her children at risk like that. And now to put them through the embarassment of whats to come... eugh. I feel like a fool for having voted for some of these characters. I want my votes back.

I don't mean to sound dense, but what exactly is the rabbi/politician connection? Have I missed something? Or were they all just duped by the same guy (CW)?

I'm on board with the Levin/Fulop special election idea!

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Forgot to mention I saw Catrillo being hauled off by the FBI this morning...priceless

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh Healy this is shameful

"Beldini, 74, is charged with conspiracy to commit extortion by taking $20,000 in illegal campaign contributions. Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said Thursday the charges were "a little shocking."

"I have full faith in Leona," Healy said. "She's a good friend of mine ? was and will be."

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
As the story goes national the big news boys are getting ahead of the locals:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534522,00.html

Guess the laundering was going on down on Canal Street- fake bags to hide the proceeds of illegal kidneys? This is great stuff.

Not sure how you launder $$$ selling counterfeit retail..... But I won't let that get in the way of a great story.

I also note that there were 54 search warrants...Some of that I am sure is to find evidence to bolster existing charges, but 54 locations & 44 arrestees..... I'd say more to come for sure.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey's corruption problem is the worst, if not the worst, in the nation," said another FBI official.

Incredibly, included in the sting was a kidney salesman who allegedly, "enticed vulnerable people to give up their kidneys for $10,000. This man would then turn around and sell the kidney for $160,000," said the FBI.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Complete list of those arrested, including the charges against each:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resource ... /WSJ-20090723-charges.pdf

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Beldini Thats The Healy Connection one needs to throw him out

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:44

"The case spans Mr. Christie's tenure and now runs into my tenure," said Marra.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.politickernj.com/max/31667 ... says-reform-would-be-easy

NEWARK - Standing in front of reporters today at the Peter Rodino Federal Building, Acting U.S. Attorney Ralph Marra said incidents like today's massive-scale corruption takedown of elected and public officials could be avoided if there were a more aggressive political will.

"There are easily reforms that could be made that would make our job easier," said Marra. "But the few people who want to change it seem to get shouted down."

New Jersey's top cop, successor to GOP gubernatorial candidate Chris Christie, confirmed Special Agent Weysan Dun's statement about the investigation going back ten years.

"The case spans Mr. Christie's tenure and now runs into my tenure," said Marra.

Max Pizarro is a PolitickerNJ.com Reporter and can be reached via email at max@politicsnj.com.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Vega and Catrillo.

Add in Nidia being from Florida and that's what, half of "TEAM HEALY"?

THAT'S change you can see!

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
I am fairly new to JC and heard about it's reputation for having a corrupt government, but who expected this?!? Whoa. I think this might be bad for Corzine. Not that he is implicated but voters might think all incumbents are to blame.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of the 44 cuts a deal to give him up. Chris Christie knew about all of this, I am sure Corzine is a main target. As much as they tried to stress this wasn't politically motivated it was.

this was an investigation that christie started and he also put a few guys into the slammer. certainly, this will aid him against corzine.

what really blows my mind is how healy with $3m for the re-election, spending left right and center, hobnobbing with corzine, bloomberg, and 'bam could get by this.... is this guy a machiavellian genius, a lucky bastard, or a front? g*d knows.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
I am fairly new to JC and heard about it's reputation for having a corrupt government, but who expected this?!? Whoa. I think this might be bad for Corzine. Not that he is implicated but voters might think all incumbents are to blame.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of the 44 cuts a deal to give him up. Chris Christie knew about all of this, I am sure Corzine is a main target. As much as they tried to stress this wasn't politically motivated it was.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

abcde wrote:
While I'm thrilled that all of this has gone down, what do you ACTUALLY think their punishment will be? Are these same clowns going to magically be re-elected, or simply be fined?

Alanwright put it best in another thread
Quote:
"What do you expect? You whiny suburbanites. Musta got here last week. You live in the big city now. You gotta expect inefficiency, corruption, and graft. It's always been like that and it always will be. (fill in indicted official) is a good guy and a family friend and this is libel and we're gonna sue!"

The games will continue same as ever, just more careful, and the people that vote for these clowns will keep voting for them, and the apathetic will keep not voting.

My favorite quote so far is Vega threatening to pat down the guy asking too may questions. His successor will meet in the open and won't fail to pat down or use a snooper. All these guys never watched The Wire.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The most telling quote from the FBI guy was regarding Cammarano who was quoted as saying, "I could be indicted and still get 80-90% of the vote."

That is where the voter apathy we have been discussing comes into a very bright spotlight. Sadly, a huge portion of the blame for this falls on our collective shoulders.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Anybody surprised no Healy on the list?

Leona Beldini, the Jersey City deputy mayor and a campaign treasurer, charged with taking $20,000 in conduit campaign contributions and other self-dealing in her official capacity

One wonders where Healy pulled off that $3 million campaign for reelection..

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:27

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017