Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: More Gunplay: Suspected crooks open fire at JC cops -- July 21st
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

My friend lives in a renovated 800 sf condo on 8th St. and pays $8,000 a year in taxes. I highly doubt that anyone from bergen-lafayette or greenville pays remotely as much. No downtown doesn't pay all the city's taxes, but we do pay disproportionately more per square foot then the other hoods of JC. We pay more, because we expect a higher standard of living. Just as someone would pay more to live in West Orange as opposed to East Orange.

Really????well let me show you my tax bill. The argument that someone deserves to be safer just because they pay more is an elitist one and one that I hope the city will overlook. We all deserve more safety. Equally.

Admit it, you pay more, because you moved here once the area had a decent coffee shop, not because the schools showed great improvement and the crime rate dropped.

What really irks me is the way residents from every part of jersey city separate themselves from each other. If you were to look at the city as a whole, you would realize that we are all affected by each others' actions--good and bad.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
We pay all your taxes,

Actually no. This is a faulty argument because most of the property in the downtown is significantly undervalued for the purposes of property taxes. While all properties in the city are undervalued, the downtown property values have increased at a faster rate, so are presently underpaying their share of property taxes.

However, what the downtown money does do is create low skill jobs as which would otherwise not exist in the city. And it also creates a safe haven, which hard as it is to believe, includes diverse income levels. Yes, poor people still do live interspersed throughout the downtown and benefit from safer streets, better schools, better services. And as the gentrified downtown expands, will begin to raise property values and expand the bubble further west.

But the one thing that is not true is that the downtown does not pay "all your taxes."

My friend lives in a renovated 800 sf condo on 8th St. and pays $8,000 a year in taxes. I highly doubt that anyone from bergen-lafayette or greenville pays remotely as much. No downtown doesn't pay all the city's taxes, but we do pay disproportionately more per square foot then the other hoods of JC. We pay more, because we expect a higher standard of living. Just as someone would pay more to live in West Orange as opposed to East Orange.

Type in Country Village Rd for the street and Jersey City where the city goes and you will see almost the whole street pays the same amount as your friend.
http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/taxes/taxstreet.asp

And this is in Greenville by the way.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Either way, it's "one of" the safest neighborhoods. That's why people pay a premium to live here, and therefore we have a right to complain. In addition to having the best transportation options, and the most entertainment options. What is your theory for Downtown being the most expensive? Why isn't the Heights as expensive as Downtown??

People don't want to pay more then a home/apartment is worth. In my opinion many Downtown/Hoboken residents now a days pay more then their apartment/home should cost. A couple apartments my family and my friends lived in during the 90s have not been improved to much since when we lived there yet people are paying double or triple to live there now.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
We pay all your taxes,

Actually no. This is a faulty argument because most of the property in the downtown is significantly undervalued for the purposes of property taxes. While all properties in the city are undervalued, the downtown property values have increased at a faster rate, so are presently underpaying their share of property taxes.

However, what the downtown money does do is create low skill jobs as which would otherwise not exist in the city. And it also creates a safe haven, which hard as it is to believe, includes diverse income levels. Yes, poor people still do live interspersed throughout the downtown and benefit from safer streets, better schools, better services. And as the gentrified downtown expands, will begin to raise property values and expand the bubble further west.

But the one thing that is not true is that the downtown does not pay "all your taxes."

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

You have to understand that people living Downtown are paying a lot of money to live there, BECAUSE it's the safest area of JC. We have the right to complain about crime, when we are paying double what it costs to live anywhere else in JC, in order to avoid such crime.

I understand what your saying, trust me I do. But both of these crimes did not originate downtown, further more don't yall classify downtown as being past a certain street?? If anyone has a right to complain it's people who live in bergen lafayette and greenville. And whether you pay 2000 a month or 700 a month you should be safe no matter what... that is just appaling that you think that since you pay more you should have more safety F.O.H.

this. tommy's argument that people who pay more deserve more is pretty dumb. it is the city's job to keep everyone safe, not just those who choose to pay more rent.

Quote:

by Greenvillechick on 2009/7/21 11:34:21

Graffiti is art.... to an extent... lol bash me if you want, but most Graf artists are not criminals.. just purely making art

graffiti is a crime if it's done on property that isn't your own. and most of the time, that's exactly where it's done.

My argument is not a dumb one. It's one that makes perfect sense. In ANY city, be it NY, Philly, or JC, the safest neighborhoods are the most expensive. That's, um, why they are more expensive. Because more people are willing to spend more money, for those neighborhoods....much higher demand = much higher prices. That is Real Estate 101.

I really wish you would stop saying that, I have showed statistics on here showing Downtown having more crime then another area of the city. I won't argue with it being one of the safest but it is not THE SAFEST.

Either way, it's "one of" the safest neighborhoods. That's why people pay a premium to live here, and therefore we have a right to complain. In addition to having the best transportation options, and the most entertainment options. What is your theory for Downtown being the most expensive? Why isn't the Heights as expensive as Downtown??

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown is fairly safe... but not for pedestrians or cyclists. But, that's not the measure of safety everyone is going on about. I think you're both describing violent crime per capita.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
C'mon - Ian wasn't advocating abortion as a solution to crime today. He was repeating a very well-made point from Freakonomics.

Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
Ok, well abortion is only going to help us 18-20 years from now. A petty arrest on someone with outstanding warrants can be efeective NOW! Don't be ridiculous!

Saabconv - look at the nation as a whole during the 90s. Guiliani didn't do anything that wasn't accomplished in most other major cities during the (gasp) Clinton administration. (You remember Clinton, right? The best republican president since Reagan.) The 90s were also a period of largely unbridled economic expansion - just like the past six years. Now that the economy has been in the tank for a while, expect things like robberies to go up. Not just here, but most other places as well.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

You have to understand that people living Downtown are paying a lot of money to live there, BECAUSE it's the safest area of JC. We have the right to complain about crime, when we are paying double what it costs to live anywhere else in JC, in order to avoid such crime.

I understand what your saying, trust me I do. But both of these crimes did not originate downtown, further more don't yall classify downtown as being past a certain street?? If anyone has a right to complain it's people who live in bergen lafayette and greenville. And whether you pay 2000 a month or 700 a month you should be safe no matter what... that is just appaling that you think that since you pay more you should have more safety F.O.H.

this. tommy's argument that people who pay more deserve more is pretty dumb. it is the city's job to keep everyone safe, not just those who choose to pay more rent.

Quote:

Graffiti is art.... to an extent... lol bash me if you want, but most Graf artists are not criminals.. just purely making art

graffiti is a crime if it's done on property that isn't your own. and most of the time, that's exactly where it's done.

My argument is not a dumb one. It's one that makes perfect sense. In ANY city, be it NY, Philly, or JC, the safest neighborhoods are the most expensive. That's, um, why they are more expensive. Because more people are willing to spend more money, for those neighborhoods....much higher demand = much higher prices. That is Real Estate 101.

I really wish you would stop saying that, I have showed statistics on here showing Downtown having more crime then another area of the city. I won't argue with it being one of the safest but it is not THE SAFEST.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
We pay all your taxes,

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
Did I say Kerik? No. READ. And as for national trends, then why the hell didn't Jersey City or Newark or any of these cities catch up with it? This is why I can't stand the liberal way of thinking. You all think that Obama can save the country, yet Guiliani wasn't responsibile for NY's resurgence. And if I spelled that word wrong, too f-ing bad.

I'm just tired of hearing how close this crap is coming to my neighborhood - a neighborhood that I'm paying good money to live in and was told that is safe. TommyC is totally spot-on - if this crime comes any closer - everybody is going to move out and the waterfront will just become an extensive of the ghetto.

Relax there, sweetie. You didn't say Kerik. I did. READ. (bully).

And I'm not sure if I was kidding or not.

And I'm the liberal that you hate so much.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Quote:

I def dont condone doing it on peoples property...

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
regulator wrote: Quote:
alanwright wrote: Quote:
Greenvillechick wrote: If anyone has a right to complain it's people who live in bergen lafayette and greenville. And whether you pay 2000 a month or 700 a month you should be safe no matter what... that is just appaling that you think that since you pay more you should have more safety F.O.H.
Sorry. Everyone has a right to complain. It's enshrined in the First Amendment. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Bergen Hill, Lafayette, Greenville, The Heights... they have bigger problems and should be more vocal politically, demand more from the City, expect more from their community, and do more for themselves. But, that's quite a challenge. Unfortunately, they may speak, vote, expect, and do less as a result.
the first amendment describes rights that the federal government cannot take away from the people. it doesnt give everyone the right to do these things. if it were against the constitution, why would the webmaster be able to delete whatever posts he wants without going to jail?
I was not referring to rights on a website, and certainly not this one. I was trying to show how complaints can become protected political speech and action.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:
alanwright wrote: Quote:
Greenvillechick wrote: If anyone has a right to complain it's people who live in bergen lafayette and greenville. And whether you pay 2000 a month or 700 a month you should be safe no matter what... that is just appaling that you think that since you pay more you should have more safety F.O.H.
Sorry. Everyone has a right to complain. It's enshrined in the First Amendment. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Bergen Hill, Lafayette, Greenville, The Heights... they have bigger problems and should be more vocal politically, demand more from the City, expect more from their community, and do more for themselves. But, that's quite a challenge. Unfortunately, they may speak, vote, expect, and do less as a result.
the first amendment describes rights that the federal government cannot take away from the people. it doesnt give everyone the right to do these things. if it were against the constitution, why would the webmaster be able to delete whatever posts he wants without going to jail?

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
Did I say Kerik? No. READ. And as for national trends, then why the hell didn't Jersey City or Newark or any of these cities catch up with it? This is why I can't stand the liberal way of thinking. You all think that Obama can save the country, yet Guiliani wasn't responsibile for NY's resurgence. And if I spelled that word wrong, too f-ing bad.

I'm just tired of hearing how close this crap is coming to my neighborhood - a neighborhood that I'm paying good money to live in and was told that is safe. TommyC is totally spot-on - if this crime comes any closer - everybody is going to move out and the waterfront will just become an extensive of the ghetto.

Well if your so scared maybe you should move... I'm sorry that your little plastic bubble is going to be infiltrated with the "ghetto" altho I find that highly unlikely... but would find it rather amusing to see Cosi and Starbucks packed with white t-shirt wearing "gangs"

This incident started with a robbery then a shooting in Downtown. Bergen-Lafayette is just where it ended and the second of the two shoot outs took place.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, well abortion is only going to help us 18-20 years from now. A petty arrest on someone with outstanding warrants can be efeective NOW! Don't be ridiculous!

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

saabconv wrote:

Well if your so scared maybe you should move... I'm sorry that your little plastic bubble is going to be infiltrated with the "ghetto" altho I find that highly unlikely... but would find it rather amusing to see Cosi and Starbucks packed with white t-shirt wearing "gangs"

I have my condo up for sale right now. I hope more people downtown follow suit. Lets see how well you all "grit lovers" fare after all the money leaves JC. We pay all your taxes, attend the city hall meetings and keep this place looking livable. (Most of the volunteers I met at LHS come from downtown. The majority of the animals however are brought from all the other areas of JC...the parts where its fashionable to wear large white t-shirts)

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

saabconv wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
Greenville - did I say I was scared? And if you enjoy walking all your dogs with gunfire - more power to you. But you probably pay 800 a month for your rent; whereas I pay three times that. For that kind of money, I expect a different quality of life.

If YOU have a problem with Starbucks and Cosi - don't frequent them.

Umm I never said that I frequent those places, I never stepped foot in them... not to say I wouldn't. But you have to understand if you live in a city there is going to be crime everywhere no matter what you do, not too long ago there was a shoot-out at the waterfront... I dont know how to expect to solve these problems, do you think people in Manhattan who pay maybe 6 times more then you do complain about the crime? It's something that comes along with the terriotory, I do know a cop from West Orange, who says there is next to no crime, maybe you should check it out if your looking for a safe haven.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
GP: we know.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/jersey.city.police.2.1094243.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... robbers_fire_shots_a.html

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-more-shots-fired-jersey-city,0,3042626.story

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6925058

Another Shootout Involving Jersey City Officers
For Second Time In Five Days, Shots Fired At Cops On The Streets Of Jersey City

At Least 4 Officers Suffered Bumps And Bruises; Injuries Not Life-Threatening

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (CBS) ―
Jul 21, 2009 7:54 am
US/Eastern

Jersey City police officers were once again engaged in a gunbattle on the city streets. Several officers suffered minor injuries as the three armed suspects they were chasing are now in jail Tuesday morning, July 21, 2009.

For the second time in five days police officers were forced to draw their weapons and fire back at armed suspects in the streets of Jersey City.

At least four Jersey City officers suffered bumps and bruises Tuesday while pursuing robbery suspects. The incident ended around 3:30 a.m. at 40 Crescent Avenue.

Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach says the suspects opened fire as they tried to flee in a car. Nalbach says the suspects also rammed several police vehicles.

"They fired at the officers first," said Lt. Edgar Martinez. "They only returned fire in self-defense."

Nalbach says the chase ended with three suspects under arrest. Officers recovered two firearms. None of the injuries suffered by the officers are believed to be life-threatening.

Meanwhile, the Jersey City officer worst injured in the June 16 shootout at 25 Reed Street is said to be on life support, police said Tuesday morning. His demise is "imminent," said Martinez.

Please stay tuned to CBS 2 HD and WCBSTV.com.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
Greenville - did I say I was scared? And if you enjoy walking all your dogs with gunfire - more power to you. But you probably pay 800 a month for your rent; whereas I pay three times that. For that kind of money, I expect a different quality of life.

Saabchick - You don't come off as being scared in the least.

I think the attitude, Greenvillechick, is "fed up." Real estate in this town is changing, and with it, the voting population. The new folks don't have the "You can't fight City Hall" mentality which results from living in a one-party state for 100 years. Ya know it: everyone gives up because the system is broken.

So, if the Hudson County Democraps cannot find the time to make quality of life reforms, they deserve a little push back. It's in their interest to (appear to) coddle and placate the largely new, mostly white and Asian newcomers, as those people provide a sizeable tax bump for the city, have generated many new businesses (and tourism, can you believe it?).

If the party can't make changes, they won't be voted out... but property values will drop and people will shuffle along to Hoboken or New York. It's not likely, but it's possible.

Nobody in JC wins if that happens.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Except that there is little evidence suggesting that heavy handed police tactics actually reduce crime. If Guiliani's policing tactics were as effective as you are suggesting, then New York City's crime rates should have fallen faster and farther than the national trend. But that's not what happened at all, which is why Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt have a salient argument about abortion; the downward trend in crime in New York City began slightly earlier than the downward crime trend across the nation corresponding with the availability of abortion. This trend began in New York City before Guiliani took office, before he initiated a zero tolerance policy, so can you really say his policies reduced crime, or is it more accurate to say his policies were simply concurrent with a drop in crime caused by some other factor?

Moreover, because police write so many tickets in attempts to thwart criminals with outstanding warrants or who are violating other laws, the courts are ultimately overwhelmed with cases, which leads to a greater dismissal rate. The more violations that are dismissed, the more likely it is that someone who really should be prosecuted is let off.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Quote:

saabconv wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OK. So we all agree that exiting laws need to be enforced.

In Georgia, animal control laws are used as a basis to extend investigations. And what do the cops find? People who abuse or neglect animals are more likely to do the same to their children, have outstanding warrants, use drugs, etc.

So, just as Vigilante says: enforcement of "petty" acts is not a dragnet, yet it sweeps up folks for bigger crimes and outstanding warrants.

Not all nuisance/ "quality of life" ordinances would accomplish that second goal, but some would.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

saabconv wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/21 15:17

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017