Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Woman beaten unconscious, in critical condition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
I guess you can see that we have a Major Problem in Jersey City..CRIME...If the Healy Team can have special meetings at City Hall to give developers more abatement's and rubber stamp them, then why can't they take on the issue of Crime and show they are serious. I bet the City Council Chambers would be packed with people who would want to be involved in ridding this city of crime.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Glad to hear your perspective, JRL. Much appreciated. I still don't appreciate your approach on this message board but I do respect your point of view. It finally gives your posts some context. Let's leave it at that.

What am I doing? Wringing my hands and trying to find a way to make a difference, with a heavy heart and true fear for my own city. The shoot-out is beyond the likes of anything I ever expected to see happen here. I moved here years ago with open eyes and much reailty-based knowledge, but this one still freaks me out beyond belief.

And marybarr, you go girl!

Posted on: 2009/7/21 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Glad to hear your perspective, JRL. Much appreciated. I still don't appreciate your approach on this message board but I do respect your point of view. It finally gives your posts some context. Let's leave it at that.

What am I doing? Wringing my hands and trying to find a way to make a difference, with a heavy heart and true fear for my own city. The shoot-out is beyond the likes of anything I ever expected to see happen here. I moved here years ago with open eyes and much reailty-based knowledge, but this one still freaks me out beyond belief.

And marybarr, you go girl!

Posted on: 2009/7/21 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
well i think we actually feel the same way towards the issue, your logic - why cant citizen have the right to bear arm to defend against thugs(if they can bear arms), is sound on paper and hard to refute. I just think it would do more harm than good in actual practice.

The way to discourage such behavior is make the thugs realize if they get caught their life is done for good, rather than make them think the victim may or may not have a gun.

Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Wibbit maybe I wasn't clear. My point is if a lawbiding individual really feels threatened because they cant afford to live in a gated community or his/her line of work puts them in harms way, they should have the right to make the same choice as the citizens in 42 other states have. Are those other states like Iraq?

If you read my post I also mention the fact that the criminals know that New Jersey's law biding citizens are unarmed. Maybe if they had to guess they wouldnt be so brazen.

it should be mandatory that anyone that carries takes extensive self defense courses, phychiatric tests and maintains gun insurance.

In states where right to carry was passed less than 1 percent of the residents actually went to get carry permits.
It shows that govt doesnt need to make these decisions for us. Most people I know wouldnt get a carry permit if NJ allowed it. It should be an individual choice.

It must frustrate you that we pay taxes to feed and house these dirt bags whether they are in the projects or in jail. We also pay to school their children and pay for a police force to protect us from them meanwhile they carry guns any way (although illegally).

Shouldnt the tax payer have the right to protect themselves?

Posted on: 2009/7/21 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
jennymayla awwww, thanks. When I was young there was a movie named, "Oklahoma!" I didn't watch it because I thought it was corny. Later on in life I did and was taken with the older lady in the film who uttered the most famous line, "I ain't sayin' that I'm better n' anybody else, but I sure as hell ain't any worse!" I guess that's my life philosophy.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jenny,

My heart goes out to him and his family. Yes he is a true hero, like many of Jersey City's finest. I am also all too familiar with a Police Office being shot. A family member of mine while stopping a Jewlery Store from being robber in 1991 was shot. http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/30/nyr ... old-up-jewelry-store.html

So please don't dare tell me I can't help myself.

If the Administration which has been in office for years was serious about fighting crime they would attack and not let it fester, than perhaps we would not have this violent situation and these violent criminals would not be in Jersey City. Can we rid them all..probably not..Can we get it under control and possibly not have situations like this Yes.

I am also involved in my community and working other other aspects and not just bitching.

So what are you doing?

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
on today of all days, while an officer who gave his life to protect the community is having his organs harvested and donated -- a true hero in life and after life -- you can't just help yourself, can you?

Run for a local government position or join the police force or move away. Just do something besides bitching and moaning.

Comey earned my respect this past week with his candor and his passion. As did every police officer out there every day, making a difference.

What can you say you did?

Quote:

JRL wrote:
I will say it AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN ..Until Healy and the Administration attack crime with a ZERO TOLERANCE ATTITUDE and finally say ENOUGH is ENOUGH this will continue to happen. Will we eliminate crime, NO..can it be put under control YES.
Giuliani, did it in NYC..he attacked crime, brought in the right Police Chief and Commissioner, not a crony like Comey, (who by the way should be embarrassed by the example he sets....get him on slim fast or weight watchers, no Police Officer should be that out of shape).
They went after quality of life issues and went after the criminals attacking trouble spots. If it can be done in a big city like NYC then NO REASON why it can't be done here...Healy and his Administration have been our elected officials long enough....I don't want to hear excuses..The time is now to get serious on the crime issue.
Our police force does a very good job, but we need more of them, the population has grown, however the size of the police force has not kept up and criminals know this and feel Jersey City is a great place for them to be. We also need to better equip them too.
They also have to get out of the stone age and use technology at hand that can also help with fighting crime.

Perhaps we citizens need a march on city hall and call the administration out on the issue!

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
not sure they are mutually exclusive, but yes, moderation and educated research is called for. as is respect. and tolerance. and balls.

i stand by my comment, emotional or otherwise. i'm proud to feel shattered by what happened to these officers.

PS: marybarr, you fascinate me! been reading your various posts and it sounds like you have had quite the life. i like your perspective.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We can ALL do more---but with an educated opinion not emotional response.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
I will say it AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN ..Until Healy and the Administration attack crime with a ZERO TOLERANCE ATTITUDE and finally say ENOUGH is ENOUGH this will continue to happen. Will we eliminate crime, NO..can it be put under control YES.
Giuliani, did it in NYC..he attacked crime, brought in the right Police Chief and Commissioner, not a crony like Comey, (who by the way should be embarrassed by the example he sets....get him on slim fast or weight watchers, no Police Officer should be that out of shape).
They went after quality of life issues and went after the criminals attacking trouble spots. If it can be done in a big city like NYC then NO REASON why it can't be done here...Healy and his Administration have been our elected officials long enough....I don't want to hear excuses..The time is now to get serious on the crime issue.
Our police force does a very good job, but we need more of them, the population has grown, however the size of the police force has not kept up and criminals know this and feel Jersey City is a great place for them to be. We also need to better equip them too.
They also have to get out of the stone age and use technology at hand that can also help with fighting crime.

Perhaps we citizens need a march on city hall and call the administration out on the issue!

on today of all days, while an officer who gave his life to protect the community is having his organs harvested and donated -- a true hero in life and after life -- you can't just help yourself, can you?

Run for a local government position or join the police force or move away. Just do something besides bitching and moaning.

Comey earned my respect this past week with his candor and his passion. As did every police officer out there every day, making a difference.

What can you say you did?

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Wibbit maybe I wasn't clear. My point is if a lawbiding individual really feels threatened because they cant afford to live in a gated community or his/her line of work puts them in harms way, they should have the right to make the same choice as the citizens in 42 other states have. Are those other states like Iraq?

If you read my post I also mention the fact that the criminals know that New Jersey's law biding citizens are unarmed. Maybe if they had to guess they wouldnt be so brazen.

it should be mandatory that anyone that carries takes extensive self defense courses, phychiatric tests and maintains gun insurance.

In states where right to carry was passed less than 1 percent of the residents actually went to get carry permits.
It shows that govt doesnt need to make these decisions for us. Most people I know wouldnt get a carry permit if NJ allowed it. It should be an individual choice.

It must frustrate you that we pay taxes to feed and house these dirt bags whether they are in the projects or in jail. We also pay to school their children and pay for a police force to protect us from them meanwhile they carry guns any way (although illegally).

Shouldnt the tax payer have the right to protect themselves?

Posted on: 2009/7/20 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
what a retarded comment. So by your logic, everyone should be carrying a piece going to work/outside, and you are assuming the victim will have enough training to react appropriately in such situation.

What's the place where everyone walks around with firearms...oh yeah iraq, afghanistan, pakistan.... i am sure it is so much safer over there......

What we need are tougher laws, if convicted those gangbangers should be executed or sent to labor camps, then they would think twice next time.

Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
marybarr- thats why so many of us are for gun rights. a 90 lb woman trained and armed is more powerful than two vicious 18 yr old male thugs. these thugs have no fear because they know law biding citizens are unarmed and defenseless.

In the meantime im all for extensive studies as to what provokes these behaviors and how we can remedy these situations.
1. govt handouts create a system of irresponsibilty and often destroys the family structure. Afterall it encourages parenting out of wedlock etc. there are countless studies that support this. (get rid of welfare/section 8)

2. I'd be pissed too if I knew my mother had me just to get more food stamps.

In the meantime we should be able to defend ourselves.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/20 20:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:47
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Mom - Let me clear the fog for you. . .you're son and his friend. . .well lets just say, they're toast! You can stop lying to him now.

LOSERS!

Posted on: 2009/7/20 20:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, right.....keep your head up? 18 years old and charged with attempted homicide. i hope the 2 of them are both stabbed and killed while being held in prison. hopefully tonight.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Charges upgraded against teens accused of beating, stripping woman on street
by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Monday July 20, 2009, 3:26 PM

The charges against two Jersey City teens have been upgraded to attempted homicide in yesterday's brutal attack on a woman who was beaten and left naked on the street.

Carlos Acosta, 18, of Manning Avenue, and Davon Gordon, 18, of Arlington Avenue, made their first appearance on the charges this afternoon in Central Judicial Processing court in Jersey City where they were informed their bails were set at $250,000 cash or bond.

The woman, who police could not initially identify, remains in critical condition at the Jersey City Medical Center.

At CJP, the judge told Acosta and Gordon that they are accused of repeatedly slamming the 29-year-old woman's head on the ground at Communipaw Avenue and Van Horne Street around 5:30 yesterday morning, punching her and kicking her while she lay unconscious.

They are accused of then stripping her and throwing her clothes over a fence, according to a witness' account, and then turning on a man who may have tried to intervene. A third man will also be charged, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Acosta and Gordon also face robbery and aggravated assault charges.

The 26-year-old man was robbed of $20 and his identity card, reports said, and suffered lacerations to the front left of his forehead and back of his head.

He was also treated at Jersey City Medical Center.

"This was a brutal attack," DeFazio said.

When police arrived at the scene at 5:37 a.m. they found the naked woman lying on the sidewalk, reports said. The woman was unconscious, had several head wounds and was bleeding form the mouth, reports said.

A witness told police he saw two men grab the woman, slam her head repeatedly on the pavement and kick her before removing her clothing, reports said, adding that they then fondled her. DeFazio said his office is investigation the possibility sexual contact was involved in the attack but no such charges are currently filed.

The witness said the men turned on the second victim who was walking north on Van Horne Street, punching and kicking him, leaving a large pool of blood on the sidewalk.

Police found the second victim bleeding from his head and walking south on Van Horne Street, reports said, adding that the suspects were arrested two blocks away.

Acosta was present at this morning's hearing while Gordon appeared via video link from the Hudson County jail in Kearny.

Both men had family members present in court.

Gordon's mother yelled to her son, "Keep your head up."

Posted on: 2009/7/20 19:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/13 7:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
"Carlos Acosta, 18, of Manning Avenue, and Davon Gordon, 18, of Arlington Avenue were arrested two blocks from the scene and charged with robbery, aggravated assault and criminal attempt, reports said."

"A witness told police he saw two men grab the woman, slam her head repeatedly on the pavement of the street and then drag her to the sidewalk at Van Horne Street. They then kicked her and removed her clothing, throwing it over a gate into an abandoned lot, reports said. The men then grabbed and fondled her, reports said."

Why weren't they charged with sexual assault as well?

They probably will be.

Quote:
by NewHeights on 2009/7/20 14:43:58

marybarr- thats why so many of us are for gun rights. a 90 lb woman trained and armed is more powerful than two vicious 18 yr old male thugs. these thugs have no fear because they know law biding citizens are unarmed and defenseless.

In the meantime im all for extensive studies as to what provokes these behaviors and how we can remedy these situations.
1. govt handouts create a system of irresponsibilty and often destroys the family structure. Afterall it encourages parenting out of wedlock etc. there are countless studies that support this. (get rid of welfare/section 8)

I disagree. My mother raised me for many years on and off welfare and food stamps, and I'm certainly not out beating people for their watches. Neither are my brother or sister. We weren't raised that way. These two young men apparently were.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
New Heights I can see your point. However it isn't so easy to use a weapon even if you have one. I used to live a pretty bizarre life and I walked around armed. I could have saved myself from some serious beatings well, more than once, and I didn't use the weapon because I couldn't bring myself to harm another human being. Luckily I was seen through that crisis time and am able to have a perspective not many in that life do--because they are dead. I now have a totally diffrent view of violent folk because near the end i was starting to become violent, if only to defend myself. i gave up that life when i realized that i WOULD have to sooner or later harm someone seriously just to survive. i decide that no matter what, i didn't want to be that person and that was my turning point. Some folk are just decent no matter what kind of lifestyle they are living. that is why i empathize with non-violent (and some violent) folk that get in trouble with the law. And we are NOT talking Bernie Madoff here :)

Posted on: 2009/7/20 19:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
I am sick of the, "Oh it's human nature," argument.

Huh? Who argues that? Which humans are we referring to here?

I know lots of humans. I don't think one of them has the nature to do such a thing. Now, were the woman trying to mug THEM, then yes- defending yourself by any means necessary IS human nature.

Two people slamming a woman's head into the ground, tearing her clothes off, then leaving her for dead is NOT human nature.

I defy anyone to argue differently.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/20 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
"Carlos Acosta, 18, of Manning Avenue, and Davon Gordon, 18, of Arlington Avenue were arrested two blocks from the scene and charged with robbery, aggravated assault and criminal attempt, reports said."

"A witness told police he saw two men grab the woman, slam her head repeatedly on the pavement of the street and then drag her to the sidewalk at Van Horne Street. They then kicked her and removed her clothing, throwing it over a gate into an abandoned lot, reports said. The men then grabbed and fondled her, reports said."

Why weren't they charged with sexual assault as well?

Posted on: 2009/7/20 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
The trend starts when their mothers hate their kids, then it comes back around. Perhaps they need to rethink putting up another boys & girls club and build a planned parenthood there instead.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
That's the problem with violence---it is about power and to make it real they have to pick on really powerless folk. It stinks and it makes me, the optimist, feel especially scared. I don't want to lose my faith in humanity but we need to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it. I am sick of the, "Oh it's human nature," argument. If that were true then how come some of us can control it, no matter what our background. No, we keep making excuses because change is hard and then how would we be able to tell the little people from the powers that be?

Posted on: 2009/7/20 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like this slamming women's heads into the concrete is becoming a favorite summer sport. It just makes me wonder what the hell happened to these people that makes them capable of doing that.

They must really hate their mothers.................disgusting, cowardly and horrible.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/20 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
The story I heard was that JCPD brought this woman to the JCMC & was in VERY BAD shape when brought to the JCMC yesterday morning. They then they picked up 3 of the attackers that the 26 year old hispanic man identified from the attack. The attackers were brought to the JCMC to be identified by in handcuffs.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 13:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/4 19:11
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you to the brave officers and prayers for the victims. There is an organized neighborhood watch in the community. Hopefully more people will join.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 4:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Outstanding job by those officers.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 2:38

Woman beaten unconscious, in critical condition
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
as reported online Sunday evening (July 19th):

Woman beaten unconscious, left naked on Jersey City street

An unidentified woman was beaten unconscious and left naked on the sidewalk in Jersey City in a brutal robbery early this morning, police reports said.

Carlos Acosta, 18, of Manning Avenue, and Davon Gordon, 18, of Arlington Avenue were arrested two blocks from the scene and charged with robbery, aggravated assault and criminal attempt, reports said.

Police have not yet been able to identify the woman, who remained in critical condition at Jersey City Medical Center this afternoon, Jersey City Police Department Edgar Martinez spokesman said.

A 26-year-old man, who was robbed of $20 and his identity card, also suffered lacerations to the front left of his forehead and back of his head and was also treated at Jersey City Medical Center, reports said.

When police arrived at the scene at 5:37 a.m., they found a naked woman lying on the eastern sidewalk of Van Horne Street about 15 feet south of Communipaw Avenue., reports said. The woman was unconscious with several head wounds and blood coming from her mouth, reports said.

A witness told police he saw two men grab the woman, slam her head repeatedly on the pavement of the street and then drag her to the sidewalk at Van Horne Street. They then kicked her and removed her clothing, throwing it over a gate into an abandoned lot, reports said. The men then grabbed and fondled her, reports said.

The witness then said the men turned on the second victim who was walking north on Van Horne Street, punching and kicking him, leaving a large pool of blood on the sidewalk, reports said.

Police found the second victim bleeding from his head and walking south on Van Horne Street.
Police arrested the two suspects, who had blood on their clothing and sneakers, two blocks away on Communipaw Avenue near Manning Avenue, reports said.

Anyone with information that may help identify the victim should call (201) 547-5245.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 2:19

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017