Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

The City is underwriting a master plan for renovations and future use of Loew's Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
A master plan for Loew's Theatre

Friday, October 16, 2009

The City of Jersey City is underwriting a master plan for renovations at The Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Journal Square.

The City Council approved a $92,500 professional-service contract on Wednesday with Princeton-based Holt, Morgan, Russell Architects to prepare a historic structure report.

The city and Friends of the Loew's, the non-profit group that operates the theater, have had a lease agreement since 2004, but finalized details about the city's participation in June.

Under the architect's contract, the city can now seek federal stimulus funds to help renovate the historic theater.

Colin Egan, director of the Loew's, said once the historic structure report is complete, it would serve as a master plan for renovations and future use.

MELISSA HAYES

Posted on: 2009/10/16 10:57

Re: Grant to restore Loew's balcony
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Not Clint Eastwood, dude

Posted on: 2009/8/24 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
There is a difference between a beautiful theater and a useless pile of rocks, just like there is a difference between a bag of shit and the Hope diamond. It's only jackasses who cannot see these differences.

Everything OLD is not beautiful, some is just JUNK...the ability to discern is what differentiates an art collector ffrom a bag lady.
Because one wants to keep a MONET does not contradict throwing out a rusty cast iron skillet or a broken plate.

The Loew's Journal Square theater is art; the pile of rubble that once held up freight trains is garbage; the powerhouse is like the old State theater...falling down and useless (It fell down).
The powerhouse was never anything except a big shed to keep water off the PATH transformers (and the transformers are ugly too.)

DIFFERENTIATE...it's what makes us HUMAN! Think Clint Eastwood's title to describe old Jersey City:THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY

Posted on: 2009/8/24 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
I've got them in my will...and for more than that $5,000 grant.

Gosh, $5,000 won't go very far in renovating a balcony.

I haven't gone since the renovation but DID manage to go twice before it was carved up and the balconey closed. She was somewhat decrepit back then, early 70's, but still BREATHTAKING...like Mrs. Haversham.

I will get there very soon as soon as they show one of my GOTTA SEE AGAIN'S. A LION IN WINTER would get me there in a heartbeat.

Nuts, Website shows no films this month and I cannot dig out anything for the rest of the year.

The hypocrisy between your post in this thread and your continued shouting to tear down the powerhouse and the embankment is stunning.

For YEARS the Loew's stood empty and abandoned, and people clamored (and some still do) for it to be torn down in the name of 'progress'. You don't consider it an eyesore, which is great, neither do I. But this is a fine example of how idiotic your assertions-as-fact that the other structures in question are eyesores, because you say so, are.

Seeing as the Loew's has no air conditioning, they always close down for the summer months. Amazing that somebody who went out of their way to leave "Friends of the Loew's" in their will hasn't stepped foot inside it to meet the people who dedicate themselves to it, or learn a thing about it. Or was that just more blather?

Posted on: 2009/8/23 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I've got them in my will...and for more than that $5,000 grant.

Gosh, $5,000 won't go very far in renovating a balcony.

I haven't gone since the renovation but DID manage to go twice before it was carved up and the balconey closed. She was somewhat decrepit back then, early 70's, but still BREATHTAKING...like Mrs. Haversham.

I will get there very soon as soon as they show one of my GOTTA SEE AGAIN'S. A LION IN WINTER would get me there in a heartbeat.

Nuts, Website shows no films this month and I cannot dig out anything for the rest of the year.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Has the Loew's considered teaming up/seeking help/donations from the Home Depot or Lowe's for the restoration work - seems like this would be a great tie-in for either

Posted on: 2009/8/20 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
We had a great time at the screening of Phantom of the Opera. Among the things that have already been done are restoring most of the seats and the organ. I wouldn't spend every night out watching a silent movie with organ accompaniment but it was great fun for myself and two out of town guests. The theater was almost completely full too, despite it being a rainy night. Another nice thing was the very reasonable prices for admission, popcorn, and other snacks.

I'm glad that a local business is putting up the money to restore the balconies. The Friends of the Loews is a 401(c)(3) charity so contributions are tax deductible.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsquared wrote:
+1 Showtime.

I've been going to shows at the Loews for 3 or 4 years, and it looks noticeably better almost every time I go. I'm pretty sure the folks running the place definitely understand the potential of the venue, unless by "potential" you mean playing current first-run movies. The programming is diverse and draws visitors from Manhattan who want to see real film projected on a legitimately big screen. I've noticed bigger and bigger lines (literally extending back through that alley and onto Magnolia) and more crowded houses, especially this year with the regular inclusion of the organ.

Congratulations to the Friends of the Loews on the grant.

+1 too. Congrats to the Friends of the Lowes, you folks are amazing!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 21:12

Re: They did a re-make of Fame
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Halloween is coming up. Maybe they should show Stroker's Count Dracula.

Excellent suggestion.

Young Frankenstein would be great to see on the big screen also.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Halloween is coming up. Maybe they should show Stroker's Count Dracula.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, Grant is great. When he is done there, he should come over and restore my brickwork.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 16:25
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

They did a re-make of Fame
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't it be splendid if Loew's Jersey showed the original around the time that the media machines are promoting the re-make.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They're showing Alien at the Quad in Manhattan. I've seen it I don't how many times, but guess what? I'll see it again this weekend.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I personally don't care for Bollywood or Filippino movies but my point was that the management of Loews should appeal to different segments of the population.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
2001 - A space odyssey would be great! also, i don't think one can rent the loews for movies, just live performances

Posted on: 2009/7/8 5:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
I think the biggest crowd I've seen was for the 1910 Thomas Edison "Frankenstein" they showed last year... a print thought lost for decades, unseen since 1931, restored and premiered at the Loews! How freakin' cool is that?

I loved seeing Raiders there, seeing Kier Dullea at "2001", meeting Anthony Harvey at "Lion In Winter"... I'd much rather do that than see a first run movie that may look great on a big screen, but sound terrible... since the Loews is about as far from THX standard as you can get :)

As for Bollywood/Filipino/etc festivals, the theater is available for rent... the movies themselves are cheap... you just need a projectionist, insurance and probably a fire marshall... I'll be there if you do. :)

The air conditioners are marvels of 1920s technology... locomotive-sized behemoths built into the foundations before the theater was built over them... they can't be removed without cutting torches and the restoration is very specialized (ie. expensive).

Moviebuff Mark.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 0:25
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know they showed Raiders I saw it there too. They probably had the biggest crowd in their history which suggests that perhaps they need to re-think the types of movies they show.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen "Jaws" there, and they also showed "Blade Runner" and "A Clockwork Orange." I had to miss both, but have seen them many times.

Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil," while it's in black-and-white, would definitely satisfy you. They showed that also.

So... keep your eyes peeled for a great selection.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 22:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I definitely not into old B&W movies, some people are and that's good for them. I'm sure foreign movies would appeal to different ethnic groups - why not a Filipino, Carribbean, Mexican, Brazilian, Indian/pakistani, and Arab film fests at different times. Why not show Aliens or Raiders of the Lost Ark every two years or so? or Superman?

Hero69, coincidentally they did show Raiders of the Lost Ark! I believe it was this past winter (December '08). It played in a double feature with "Nightmare Before Christmas" (also in COLOR). I know they showed some Bond movies last season too, although I didn't make it.

I dig your idea about ethnic movie weekends. A Bollywood festival might go over well, with their proximity to little India.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
I might be mistaken, but I believe they recently clarified a legal tug-of-war about the city, control, the rent of the building, etc.

Hopefully being free of that confusion makes room for the push I'm sure they understand they need.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I for one would be willing to pay more or even make a donation so that they can install/replace the air conditioner.

I definitely not into old B&W movies, some people are and that's good for them. I'm sure foreign movies would appeal to different ethnic groups - why not a Filipino, Carribbean, Mexican, Brazilian, Indian/pakistani, and Arab film fests at different times. Why not show Aliens or Raiders of the Lost Ark every two years or so? or Superman?

Posted on: 2009/7/6 20:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
I doubt they could show a first-run movie ... they would have to pay much, much more to rent the print, they would have to turn over a high percentage of each ticket sale to the movie company, and .... many movie companies have exclusive contracts with theater chains anyway. Plus, I don't know the specifics on it, but they may not have the right projector equipment to show new releases?

I'm sure they are doing their best with their extremely limited financial resources and their all-volunteer staff. They also do good work in expanding on their programming by sometimes including guest speakers and displaying memorabilia.

Even including 'art/foreign/second-run' films, (and I have no argument with them doing so, sounds good to me) they'll never make enough money doing that to completely refurbish the theater - the money has to come from government grants/corporate donations. The place needs a LOT of money. I'm very happy to support the place and like going there but then again I do have more of an interest in classic films than my friends might. Classic films in a classic movie theater ...

And I do think they try to branch out more with their 'live-performance' shows (whatever it may be).

And yes, the lack of AC makes it a short season for them.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 18:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Old/classic movies are nice and I've seen many there, but I see no reason why they can't artsy/foreign/first or 2nd run movies. I just think they need to think outside the box.

I saw "Spirited Away" at Loew's not too long ago -- foreign (Japanese), not particularly old (2001), and fairly artsy (according to my pedestrian standards). I don't think they're too boxed in. Make a recommendation!

Posted on: 2009/7/6 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed - they do a fantastic job and are well aware of its potential. One of the limitations they have is no central AC, which would be extremely costly - this could be a great venue for concerts, but it's currently limited by the seasons/temperature.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I too commend the Friends of the Loews, but I think they lack the resources to make this theater reach its potential. Old/classic movies are nice and I've seen many there, but I see no reason why they can't artsy/foreign/first or 2nd run movies. I just think they need to think outside the box.

I too have noticed improvements in the theater over the years.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 17:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Showtime.

I've been going to shows at the Loews for 3 or 4 years, and it looks noticeably better almost every time I go. I'm pretty sure the folks running the place definitely understand the potential of the venue, unless by "potential" you mean playing current first-run movies. The programming is diverse and draws visitors from Manhattan who want to see real film projected on a legitimately big screen. I've noticed bigger and bigger lines (literally extending back through that alley and onto Magnolia) and more crowded houses, especially this year with the regular inclusion of the organ.

Congratulations to the Friends of the Loews on the grant.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 16:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
When you say 'leadership', you don't mean the Friends of the Loew's who have worked so hard to preserve the theater? I'm sure they are fully aware of the theater's potential. It's a gorgeous place, a historic landmark - never to be duplicated again .... thank goodness that these volunteers have stepped up to preserve it and continue to fight the thankless powers that be.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the Loews should apply for federal stiuluys money so they can finish this project once and for all...the renovation has been going over for how many years.

This theater has so much more potential that the current leadership realizes

Posted on: 2009/7/6 14:54

Grant to restore Loew's balcony
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Grant to restore Loew's balcony

Jersey Journal
Monday, July 06, 2009

The Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City is taking another step toward returning to its former glory, thanks to a grant from The Provident Bank Foundation.

A $5,000 gift from the foundation will allow the balcony at the 3,000-seat venue in Journal Square to be restored. The historic theater is only one of five "Wonder Theatres" built by movie baron Marcus Lewis outside New York City.

The theater closed in 1986 after years of declining attendance. But a crusade spearheaded by the non-profit Friends of the Loew's led the Jersey City council to purchase the venue and limited programming began again in 2001.

Friends of the Loew's has now set its sights on further renovations of the cavernous domed rococo-style auditorium, where only half the original capacity is being used for films and live musical and dramatic shows.

"Our plan was bring the theater to a minimally functional level so people could start enjoying the arts, and that's what we did," said Friends of the Loew's President Pattie Giordan.

"But we've got two levels of balcony where the seat frames have not been maintained for 40 years, and we need emergency lights, the fire escapes overhauled, exit doors replaced. This grant is greatly appreciated."

Kendall Warsaw, the executive director of the Provident Foundation, said her organization was honored to contribute to the ongoing renovation. "The process of restoring the Loew's Theatre to its original splendor is a labor of love that we're thrilled to be a part of," Warsaw said.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 14:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017