Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Bergen)

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/26 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
There is zero logic for adding a lane of traffic. I walk down Columbus every morning and there is not nearly enough traffic to justify this. I just emailed Fulop again.

Does anyone have contacts at the Jersey Journal etc to get more coverage of this? I can't believe they want buses and trucks barreling down a road with pedestrians steps away

Posted on: 2009/8/4 16:22

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Berg
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
No. It should be fairly clear that I did not write the article. I am Alan. That blog is owned and operated by Ian, who seems to have sole control of the links and content. He is the "I" who is witnessing his posts on his blog, as only he sees fit.

There is no personal motive for me to defend his summary, for his audience, of this under-the-radar story.

That said, knowing Ian's predilection for traffic and city planning, I did direct this issue to his attention. He has made his concerns plainly here and elsewhere.

See #27 and #37 above. Those posts also show how I know the sources, though attribution is not what you sought originally.

If you have concerns about journalistic chops - also a new issue being raised - or the fact that the Columbus Autobahn should be addressed by "legitimate" media, then I am not the target of your concern.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 6:37

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Berg
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
City Plans Highway Through Downtown
Residents hoping for a freshly pave Columbus Drive may be dismayed to learn they will soon be losing a valuable parking as the city prepares to expand the roadway into a five lane highway. The city intends to realign Columbus Drive with six lanes of traffic; during rush hour, parking would be prohibited on one side of the street to create three lanes of traffic in one direction, and two in the opposite direction.
more...

Any citations to a legitimate news source forthcoming?

FOR WHAT?

1. This article is based on conversations with city planners.

2. Blogs are legitimate news sources, as is independent, web-based media such as The Jersey City Independent.

3. Local "traditional" media, such a newspapers, have often shown their business model to be broken... and unwilling/ unable to cover more than sports and petty crime.

Really? Because the "article" never mentions that it is "based on conversations with city planners." It doesn't mention that it's "based on" any source whatsoever, for that matter, save for a well buried "according to Fulop" in the third-to-last paragraph. Journalism 101.

And how do you know it is based on conversations with city planners? Did you write it?

I have no problem with blogs that do their homework and actually report. The blanket statement "blogs are legitimate news sources" doth overstate the case. If a blog wants to be taken seriously, it should act like a grown up and provide some legitimate attributions. Plenty of them do, and it is those that are "legitimate news sources." The act of buying server space and a godaddy url does not legitimize a blog.

It's an insult to the hardworking guys and gals at the Jersey City Independent to mention them in the same breath as the "article" linked above.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:59

Re: JC Gets Money $4.6 Mil to Repave Newark Ave Between Coles & Tonnelle! (Also Sip; Kennedy to Bergen)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
There seems to be a pattern of favoring motorists passing through town over residents and people coming here to shop. Why?

Who benefits from this?

I'm not so sure that it's either/or. Most if not all of the residential high-rises on or near the waterfront come with on-site parking that, if not included, is at least an option for residents.

I think the presumption that all who live in Downtown Jersey City commute to work in NYC via PATH, and therefore don't benefit from easier access to the Turnpike, is a misconception.

I know a few couples who chose downtown because one spouse works in manhattan and the other works in Northern NJ. This would seem to benefit them if it makes access to/from the Turnpike easier.

The loss of street parking, by the theory of some, might frustrate enough casual car owners downtown into ditching the car altogether. I think even downtown JC is years away from being the street-parking cluster-eff that hoboken is, and somehow, hoboken's real estate seems to survive.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Residents hoping for a freshly pave Columbus Drive may be dismayed to learn they will soon be losing a valuable parking as the city prepares to expand the roadway into a five lane highway. The city intends to realign Columbus Drive with six lanes of traffic; during rush hour, parking would be prohibited on one side of the street to create three lanes of traffic in one direction, and two in the opposite direction.
more...

FOR WHAT?

1. This article is based on conversations with city planners.

2. Blogs are legitimate news sources, as is independent, web-based media such as The Jersey City Independent.

3. Local "traditional" media, such a newspapers, have often shown their business model to be broken... and unwilling/ unable to cover more than sports and petty crime.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There seems to be a pattern of favoring motorists passing through town over residents and people coming here to shop. Why?

Who benefits from this?

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:38
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
more...

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
more...

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Is it too late to make changes to the plan? Let's try and get Fulup's attention on this matter. As a property owner directly on CC I feel that a grand entrance to downtown with more subdued traffic and TREES would better serve the city.

STEVEN FULUP? WHERE ARE YOU?

I think that is a good point/opportunity. A small step could be a "Welcome to Jersey City" mural on the Old PRR embankment you run into once exiting and crossing the light.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Steve knows.

I contacted him after reading the proposal on this site and raising a grievance with regard to the lack of bike lanes. He passed my concern onto a city planner, whom responded. After that message sat in my inbox for a bit, I recently responded that the plan was undesirable. I wish I hadn't waited.

I brought IanMac47 in on that exchange, and more communication has been had since with others as well.

To what end, TBD.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is it too late to make changes to the plan? Let's try and get Fulup's attention on this matter. As a property owner directly on CC I feel that a grand entrance to downtown with more subdued traffic and TREES would better serve the city.

STEVEN FULUP? WHERE ARE YOU?

Posted on: 2009/7/14 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Three lanes of cars, NONE from Jersey City, flying Eastbound in the morning...Gosh, how exciting.
I wonder if anyone told these benighted "city developers" that the Eastern terminus of Columbus is THE HUDSON RIVER.
On the other hand maybe the "lemmings into the sea" idea is a good one.

It's good they didn't clutter up the speedway with those pesky bike lanes that keep getting in the way of the Escalades and Navigators racing for the last parking spot in town.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 12:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

It's been proven over and over again that Jersey City never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity....

I think they were late to get the needle exchange money, too.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
It would be a grand entrance to our city's downtown if they had a median down the center of CC with trees, ala Park Avenue in NYC. Alas the powers that be miss the point and will argue over whose cousin or brother in law's blacktoop company will get the contract to build it. Just think how nice it could have been.

It's been proven over and over again that Jersey City never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity....

Posted on: 2009/7/14 4:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/17 4:05
Group:
Registered Users
Why not a homeless shelter instead?
Paving the roads to me has a lesser priority.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 23:33

Re: Street Paving
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It would be a grand entrance to our city's downtown if they had a median down the center of CC with trees, ala Park Avenue in NYC. Alas the powers that be miss the point and will argue over whose cousin or brother in law's blacktoop company will get the contract to build it.
Just think how nice it could have been.

Newark's sidewalks look like crap. Such a sloppy job.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:
"conver[t] the road to alternate from three lanes eastbound in the AM and three lanes westbound in the PM... through alternate side parking and elimination of the curb extensions."

God forbid they figure out a way to install a center island and plant trees down the middle. And please don't tell me about the Path below making this impossible as the tunnel is about 15 feet below street level there. Raised planters as on the West Side Highway and Park. Ave. show this would work.

But instead, they make it EASIER for people to ditch the turnpike and use the local roads to get to the tunnel.

As for bike lanes, given the choice of riding in a bike lane on CCD and riding without one on a parallel route such as Wayne or Mercer, I'd opt for Wayne or Mercer.

Yes, even Broad Street in Newark has planters. Broad is totally different, of course. It's more like Newark Avenue in some ways as it has shopping, but is probably wider than Columbus. And, it has many tall buildings, whereas CC is often rinky-dink in comparison.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
"conver[t] the road to alternate from three lanes eastbound in the AM and three lanes westbound in the PM... through alternate side parking and elimination of the curb extensions."

God forbid they figure out a way to install a center island and plant trees down the middle. And please don't tell me about the Path below making this impossible as the tunnel is about 15 feet below street level there. Raised planters as on the West Side Highway and Park. Ave. show this would work.

But instead, they make it EASIER for people to ditch the turnpike and use the local roads to get to the tunnel.

As for bike lanes, given the choice of riding in a bike lane on CCD and riding without one on a parallel route such as Wayne or Mercer, I'd opt for Wayne or Mercer.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'll believe it only once I'm driving on it.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, but that is not good news at all.

Columbus is the widest street in town, but the plan does not include bike lanes. Rather the plan is to:

(source: private email).

CC will be a commuter-friendly autobahn through downtown.

More info coming soon...

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I heard back from both Fulop and the Mayor's office and the bids for the paving of Columbus should be approved next week and then start a couple of weeks after that.

Definitely good news!

Posted on: 2009/7/10 13:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Guess what? Paving of Christopher Columbus is again delayed. Heard back from Fulop and apparently the bids for the project were 50% more than they had expected so they are now "deliberating" as to what to do. Not sure what deliberating there is to do, the road is practically gravel. Apparently Fall is a likely timeline which we've all heard before.

If anyone would like to get involved in coming together to get the city to commit to getting this paved, please email me at PaveCCdrive@gmail.com.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Have you made a service request using the city website?

http://mygovhelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs ... t.aspx?cat=0&sSessionID=&

Posted on: 2009/6/3 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
The bad news is that the city street paving schedule is generally set a year or so in advance. They decide which streets in each ward will get paved in the spring/summer/fall paving season the previous winter. So barring a miracle you are probably out of luck for this year.

The best thing to do is to keep working with Fulop and the city to get your street on the next list. Organize your neighbors to contact Fulop, the Mayor's Action Bureau, and the Department of Public Works (I think that's the right city department).

Posted on: 2009/6/3 16:01

Street Paving

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/31 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, We are having no luck in getting the city to pave 7th Street, which is riddled with holes, particularly between Monmouth and Brunswick. We have called and emailed countless times over the past several months and while the city and Fulop's team have agreed to help and usually acknowledge our pleas, no real action has taken place. Our house shakes dozens of times a day as trucks speed by and hit the bumps and indents in the road, and we are well on our way to sustaining structural damage to our house, as likely are others on the block. At this point, we are ready to call a lawyer. Does anyone have any advice on persons to contact, or recommendations for lawyers? Any advice would be greaty appreciated...Thanks. -- Su

Posted on: 2009/6/3 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Our city government is backwards on so many levels. Columbus is quite wide so why a dedicated bike lane is not part of the description is very shortsighted in my book.

Healy wants us on public transportation. Period.

Bikes out sold cars in the 1st quarter of 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/oeqlnoQuote:

alanwright wrote:
There's no "bike bloc" to lobby or push for it. Where an agreeable voice or sympathetic ear exists in City Hall... they may be alienated or irrelevant to the "powers that be."

Cyclists: do you feel safe on the roads? What do you want? And is a bike lane on Columbus something you're willing to push for?

From young folks and commuters on ten-speeds and cyclo-cross; to high schoolers and flatlanders on BMX; to chicks and dudes on cruisers; to moms and pops with seats for the wee one; and of course there's food delivery guys and laborers; and then there are the fixed-gears cyclists.

There are a lot of bikes in this town. Currently, we get little support, lots of scorn, and a disproportionate amount of risk! (Selfish drivers don't help).

Something has to change. We can't simple "change" the culture of driving, but this is a great opportunity the share the road!

Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There's no "bike bloc" to lobby or push for it. Where an agreeable voice or sympathetic ear exists in City Hall... they may be alienated or irrelevant to the "powers that be."

Cyclists: do you feel safe on the roads? What do you want? And is a bike lane on Columbus something you're willing to push for?

From young folks and commuters on ten-speeds and cyclo-cross; to high schoolers and flatlanders on BMX; to chicks and dudes on cruisers; to moms and pops with seats for the wee one; and of course there's food delivery guys and laborers; and then there are the fixed-gears cyclists.

There are a lot of bikes in this town. Currently, we get little support, lots of scorn, and a disproportionate amount of risk! (Selfish drivers don't help).

Something has to change. We can't simple "change" the culture of driving, but this is a great opportunity the share the road!

Posted on: 2009/6/3 7:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Big Surprise! No mention of any type of bike lanes in the description.

Quote:

andyk21381 wrote:
Finally!! It looks like they are getting bids on paving the rest of columbus:

http://www.tcjrnl.com/project_view.as ... ashington+Street+Project+

Who knows how long the bidding will take, but at least there is some progress.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
So how many jobs is this project going to create????

Will they be "green jobs"?

Posted on: 2009/6/3 0:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Finally!! It looks like they are getting bids on paving the rest of columbus:

http://www.tcjrnl.com/project_view.as ... ashington+Street+Project+

Who knows how long the bidding will take, but at least there is some progress.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 14:26

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017