Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Most of the City Council is an Embarassment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Vega, Brennan, Flood, Gaughan, Lopez, Sottolano, who in their right F**king minds voted for these morons....Let's recall them...Along with Healy they do not give a shit about Jersey City citizens.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Me neither - not the mayor and his gang of eight anyhow.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
People --- we actually elected these airheads ....

I know I didn't.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Two recent events that made the news ....

--> Councilman Nidia Lopez
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... is_jersey_city_counc.html

---> Our new taxes
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_tax_increase_passe.html

These two events comprehensively reflect the quality, capability, leadership and integrity of our elected officials.

People --- we actually elected these airheads ....

Posted on: 2009/7/9 2:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/15 22:29
Group:
Banned
Don't go looking to the JCPA for money, they're so fat they managed to run in the red a few years back. That's really all you need to know about JC. That and the fact that 1 of 5 firemen is a chief or higher, so a huge number retire chiefs pay. Now you know where all the pension funds go. This city isn't run for the benefit of it's citizens, it's for the benefit of it's managers, employees and contractors, most of whom live out of town. We just supply the cash to keep it all greased.

Also IIRC, the SS budget was originally folded into the general fund by LBJ, not Clinton. And Reagan made his cold war deficits look like much less by raising the SS tax. We've been way regressive in tax profile ever since. Politicians fudging numbers is literally as old as the Pharaohs.

So how would I go about calling for an audit of the JCPA. If the department was defunded how much money would come off the budget. No one likes getting parking tickets. If we cut the jobs how much would that save the city.

As far as 1 in 5 fireman retiring as captains that has to be against the law. If that is true I would like to know how I could get my money back. I got a lot of time on my hands

Posted on: 2009/7/4 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A recall is happening right now in West New York. Two doctors, decided to start a recall because their patients were physically getting sick. They need 5,200 signatures but are going after 8,000.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/7/4 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Abbeyskin wrote:
I would like someone to audit the Parking Authority. I would like to know how much revenue they bring in annually compared against the annual budget. Of course the budget would have to include future pension distributions and benefits. Politicians always like to fudge numbers. Kind of like how CLinton played around with the Social Security Administration budget to balance the budget

Don't go looking to the JCPA for money, they're so fat they managed to run in the red a few years back. That's really all you need to know about JC. That and the fact that 1 of 5 firemen is a chief or higher, so a huge number retire chiefs pay. Now you know where all the pension funds go. This city isn't run for the benefit of it's citizens, it's for the benefit of it's managers, employees and contractors, most of whom live out of town. We just supply the cash to keep it all greased.

Also IIRC, the SS budget was originally folded into the general fund by LBJ, not Clinton. And Reagan made his cold war deficits look like much less by raising the SS tax. We've been way regressive in tax profile ever since. Politicians fudging numbers is literally as old as the Pharaohs.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 20:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Seriously? Who would replace Healy is the biggest obstacle in your mind to pursuing a recall? I could go into Liberty State Park this evening and pull out the first adult I see and he/she would be at least as qualified and do, at minimum, the same quality job Healy does. Guaranteed. In fact, I don't think we need to limit ourselves to adults.

Not sure where you get your numbers - full time city employees number about 2,550 - slightly over 1% of the population. Probably about 2.5% to 3% of the working adult population. Could definitely be reduced though.

Healey owns this town and you have to get someone people would get behind for a Recall. Steve Fulop is a name but I don't know if he has the political will to go with a recall . It could backfire on him. You might need to find someone with an interesting bio that people would roll with.

2,550. It seems like more.
I was talking about the state of NJ. 1 in 7 adult NJ residents works for the state or local municipality.

I would like someone to audit the Parking Authority. I would like to know how much revenue they bring in annually compared against the annual budget. Of course the budget would have to include future pension distributions and benefits. Politicians always like to fudge numbers. Kind of like how CLinton played around with the Social Security Administration budget to balance the budget

Posted on: 2009/7/4 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously? Who would replace Healy is the biggest obstacle in your mind to pursuing a recall? I could go into Liberty State Park this evening and pull out the first adult I see and he/she would be at least as qualified and do, at minimum, the same quality job Healy does. Guaranteed. In fact, I don't think we need to limit ourselves to adults.

Not sure where you get your numbers - full time city employees number about 2,550 - slightly over 1% of the population. Probably about 2.5% to 3% of the working adult population. Could definitely be reduced though.

Quote:

Abbeyskin wrote:
OK so you have a Recall. Who are you going to get to replace Healey. I ended up voting for Fulop and didn't vote for Mayor. I do not like Healey but I didn't find any of the other candidates good alternatives.

I have lived here for three years. It seems that Jersey City has entirely too many public employees for a city of 250,000.
That is NJ. 1 in 7 adults of working age in NJ work for the gov't. No wonder NJ has budget issues.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 19:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
OK so you have a Recall. Who are you going to get to replace Healey. I ended up voting for Fulop and didn't vote for Mayor. I do not like Healey but I didn't find any of the other candidates good alternatives.

I have lived here for three years. It seems that Jersey City has entirely too many public employees for a city of 250,000.
That is NJ. 1 in 7 adults of working age in NJ work for the gov't. No wonder NJ has budget issues.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 17:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Thank you very much, Yvonne for your initiative, focus and experience. When you start collecting signatures, you count me in with my signature.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I appreciate your comments, I think it is time some of us should get together...is there something here?
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/6/28 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
thank you for the information. the pdf and the act seem to be consistent. your website has a very impressive array of information, particularly on the tax side. i agree with your conclusion that income tax is preferable to property (wealth tax) but, the shocker is the campaign disclosures of our current mayor.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have the pdf on Recall. Go to www.speaknj.com and look for the red check mark. The next step is to read the information carefully.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/6/24 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
finding information on recall election or elections in nj is not easy ... 1. recall election -------------------------- the relevant law is the Uniform Recall Election Law, Chapter 105, Laws of 1995 (N.J.S.A. 19-:27A-1 et seq.), and the law can be accessed http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/ ... base=statutes.nfo&record={915F}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42 the relevant section, 19:27A-5. Recall petition; signatures required, states "5. A recall petition demanding that an election be held for the purpose of deciding whether an elected official shall be recalled from office shall be signed by a number of registered voters of the jurisdiction of the official sought to be recalled equal to at least 25% of the persons registered to vote in that jurisdiction on the date of the general election preceding the date on which the sponsors of the petition file a notice of intention pursuant to section 6 of this act. A recall petition shall be filed with the appropriate recall election official. No recall petition shall demand the holding of an election to recall more than one elected official. " 2. the number of registered voters in jc --------------------------------------------------- in 2008, there were 139,158 registered voters in jc (http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elec ... owns_GEN2008_20081117.pdf, page 15). so in 160 days, 25% of the registered voters in jersey city have to sign the petition to recall. So, one needs to have roughly 35,000+ signatures. let's do the math ... 35,000/160 = 219 signatures per day for 160 days ... and considering a 10% spillage, cheating, and all other contingencies, one would need only 240 signatures a day. what can i say? 3. additional information -------------------------------- there is information at http://www.joemustgo.net/Assets/elect ... truction-sheet-123108.pdf the memo states "SIGNATURE COLLECTION EFFORT (19:27A-5) Upon approval of the petition, the recall committee and registered voters in the jurisdiction of the recall election may solicit signatures of other registered voters in that jurisdiction. Specific requirements on the method of soliciting signatures are listed in the law. The recall effort is limited to 320 days for a Governor or 160 days for other elected officials from the date of the notice of intention. The petition requires the signatures of 25 % of the registered voters in the jurisdiction, as of the last general election."

Posted on: 2009/6/24 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The 25% of registered voters can be misleading. I believe you mean 25% who voted in the last general election which will be this November. If 30,000 votes this November, you need 7,500.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/6/24 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
perhaps we need both.

i cannot recall having seen one jersey city working on ballot initiatives (this can depend on the relatively short period i have lived here.)

what i am advocating - apart from the recall, which does seem to be somewhat difficult to implement given that 25% of the voters need to consent - is active use of ballot initiatives.

for instance - a ballot initiative could be put forward
- to ensure that all owners of real estate in jersey city should equitably contribute to the city budget.
- to ban on new tax abatements, unless the developer actively contributes to the welfare of the city and its inhabitants by building daycare, school and common spaces, and does not contribute to any office holder in the city.

the list can be long.

and the more ballot initiatives that are put on the ballot, the more difficult it will be to defeat small, but important, initiatives. divide and conquer.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You need signatures from 25% of the registered voters..25% is just the threshold to force a recall election. You'd still need to win the election You must wait 1 year after an election to have a recall. A recall committee of at least three registered voters forms to initiate proceedings under the law. The recall drive may not commence before the 50th day preceding the completion of the elected official?s first year of the current term in office. They are sworn in the first or second of July, so I guess it'd be 50 days prior to then in 2010. This also says the drive can't begin - meaning the committee can't be formed and signatures can't be gathered - until then. Upon approval of the petition, the recall committee and registered voters in the jurisdiction of the recall election may solicit signatures of other registered voters in that jurisdiction. Specific requirements on the method of soliciting signatures are listed in the law. The recall effort is limited to 320 days for a Governor or 160 days for other elected officials from the date of the notice of intention. The petition requires the signatures of 25 % of the registered voters in the jurisdiction, as of the last general election.

T-Bird, Yvonne with this information what do you think our next steps be.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KOCTEP wrote:
Quote:
The organization that you describe already exists - One Jersey City.

Apparently not. The man said himself they won't support the recall initiative. They want to play nice, whatever, ain't my club anyway.

And that should be fine - there should be room for both. One Jersey City can one of the vehicles of positive grassroots change. Folks behind a recall can be a force of creative destruction - the force that allows many of the ideals of a "One Jersey City" to actually have a chance at succeeding.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 18:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Apparently not. The man said himself they won't support the recall initiative. They want to play nice, whatever, ain't my club anyway.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 18:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
All developer consessions are automatically granted, regardless of the 100:1 opposition by the community involved.

You might as well put a bunch of trained monkees up there.

The developers come in with a crate of bananas.

The give each monkey a banana, and then the monkey hits a button that says "YES, Variance Granted".

Posted on: 2009/6/22 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
perhaps the best approach is to built a community-wide grassroots organization that highlights the problems that affects the city as a whole...

Posted on: 2009/6/22 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
perhaps the best approach is to built a community-wide grassroots organization that highlights the problems that affects the city as a whole and initiates ballot initiatives. series of ballot initiatives may change the political landscape faster then a recall - 25% of the electorate required to initiate a recall election is tantamount to impossible. this could be the first step of many to change the political landscape ....

Posted on: 2009/6/21 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, trying to do something productive like a recall is the opposite of whining about them. There are several excellent reasons a recall would have a much better chance of succeeding than the recently purchased election did. You may not care. You may not be capable of understanding. But hopefully the day will come next year where you realize how wrong you were.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Healy needs to also be part of the recall with the At Large Council. What should the next steps be here.
How about also having an investigation against the At Large Council, with the way they vote all the time there must be some link that they took money somewhere.

There will never be a recall of Healy or the Council. If you couldn't manage to defeat them in the election you certainly aren't going to remove them through a recall. But continue to whine about them if it comforts you.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 19:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I have been hearing about the potential revaluation for some time.

Will this actually occur? How would it happen?

There was a mention of a gathering storm, but is there really on this topic? I just have a hard time seeing it... Perhaps this requires its own thread...

Posted on: 2009/6/20 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been involved with community activities since the 1970's. This is the first time I am hearing citizens, not a political candidate, promote a recall. I am impressed.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/6/20 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
while I certainly understand and feel the frustration (and anger), however, OneJC will NOT be part of any recall.

Instead, we will put forth our efforts to both advance the issues and goals we came together and campaigned on and build the coalition and organization necessary to encourage and support non-partisan issue based reform candidates to run for and win elected office in the 2013 municipal election and in the interim, perhaps, school board and state elections.

Dan
danlevin@onejerseycity.org

Quote:

JRL wrote:
We should target them all, except for Fulop. We all agree he is the only one that is educated, and works for the people.
I know this won't be easy, but if there is an slimmer of hope of making some changes, let's see if we can get the ball rolling on a recall. I'm sure Dan Levin and the One Jersey City would be part of this initiative.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 16:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/4 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
Highlights from the meeting:

--Pete Brennan repeatedly referring to Mayor Healy as "our illustrious mayor." Can he get his head any farther up Healy's butt?

--Willie Flood. Her sentences were one long string of non-sequitors punctuated by repeated, irrelevant references to her gratitude for the good health of her children. Thankfully what finally stopped her was that she fell asleep. (For real!)

--Pete Brennan applauding vigorously after a speaker sited Healy for spending $3 million to get re-elected. Yea - go Healy! Fleeced 'um again! Hey, Pete, here's news for you -- it was a criticism.

--Sottolano's garbled ramblings. I didn't understand one word that man said all night.

--Kudos for Phil Kenny for occasionally breaking ranks and voting his conscience.

Posted on: 2009/6/20 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
I attended the meetings at City Hall tonight and just can not believe how most of these clowns got elected. While listening to them vote on the PPG Industries to remediate the chromium contamination, they were all except Fulop a rubber stamp. While yes this needs to be done, it must be done accurately and safely. Fulop eloquently explained why Jersey City should not move forward at this time until it can be done right. The other Council Members babbled on coming off clueless. Gaughan look like he could care less and did not want to be there. Brennan babbled on and could not even articulate his point on why he voted yes. He is a total goon. The rest of them probably don't even know what they were voting yes on. How does a city like Jersey City that could become a world class city end up with these clowns. We can only hope the next for years goes by fast and the citizens if Jersey City wake the hell up and vote in educated and articulate council members such as Fulop.

No, REALLY?????? Now tell us something we don't know??

Posted on: 2009/6/19 14:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017