Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Van Vorst Park Dog Run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I really wish there were a NO SMOKING RULE in the dog run.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 12:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 23:32
Group:
Registered Users
To yourdogisbored:

1. look up sarcasm in the dictionary.

2. there were 3 people there, 2 of which were babysitting someone else's dog so they never been there before; yourself + the dog walker in question who left.

3. if the dogs in question are in any way dangerous on or off leash and are aggressive they should not be in the park to begin with (another one of the rules).

To I_heart_JC:

Apparently in this case yes. I do have to say I have seen some very good dog walkers in the area, and I do not want the one in mention to give them a bad name.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
so let me get this straight: if I hire a dog walker in JC, I can expect her to walk him 2 big blocks to Van Vorst and let him loose in a muddy dog run, so his paid "walker" can stand around yakking with her fellow professionals about how impatient the other park patrons are?

sweet deal. where do I sign?

Posted on: 2009/8/9 4:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/21 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fleur, You didn't realize a lot of the things that afternoon: You didn't realize the park was so crowded (there were 4 or 5 people in there when you guys arrived), you didn't realize how many dogs the dog walker in question actually had tethered in the entry way (it was 3 dogs, no more, no less) and you apparently didn't realize the danger you were putting your dog, her dogs, and yourselves in with your impatience. Forget common courtesy, how about common sense? Common sense should tell you that a pack of leashed dogs in a confined space are likely to view your dog as a threat. As I pointed out to you immediately after the altercation, you're lucky your dog didn't get bitten in the face as a result of your unwillingness to wait. The dog walker was simply doing exactly what our clientele expects of us, which is to fiercely protect the safety of the dogs in our care at all times, even if it means coming across as a bitch on occasion.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 3:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am amazed at how many people all of a sudden where there when it happened. I didn't realize it was so crowded there that day.

Patience and understanding means that realizing that this is a public area and there is a HUGE poster of park rules. No where in the park rules does it state that dog walkers don't have to follow them. It does say no more than 3 dogs per person.

Common courtesy would also mean not asking people to wait at the gate because you have more than 3 dogs and are gathering them up.

We just wanted a nice afternoon in the park with our dog and it was ruined it with this person's attitude and rudeness.

And to address CutiePie09, I am sure she is an AMAZING person, I am also an AMAZING person to people that know me.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious about this new trend on JClist, wherein someone calls out a douchey dog owner/walker on his/her behavior, and then a slew of new posters jump in to swear that it never happened.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 14:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/9 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
To address @Fleurdelys I was there when this happened, the dog walker did nothing wrong, you were out of line and should have waited. She wasnt rude just asked you to wait and was done in literally a minute when you decided to open the gate. And she didn't have 7 dogs stop exaggerating. I personally know her and she is an AMAZING person, she only reacted to your actions as she had her clients dogs to tend to. I dont blame her for getting upset when you opened the gate and brought your dog in I would have been pissed if it were me. You should really chill out.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 4:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/26 14:26
Group:
Registered Users
Its really too bad that people don't respect other people. I am sure the said dog walker was simply taking care of their clients dogs which as a dog owner I would personally welcome. Someone who takes pride in their work and cares about the well being of the dogs. It sounds like the first poster was an impatient person. I have personally waited for over 5 minutes while a dog owner collected their dog(s)in the area between the runs. I have not problem waiting its common courtesy and completely makes sense to me. ALL the dog walkers I have encountered are very concerned about the safety of their clients dogs and very protective. EVERYONE knows or should, its not proper to open the gate while there are dogs in the area between the runs. The first poster has no idea how the dogs would react as some are very leash aggressive and what if one of the dogs got out of its collar and did run into the street due to them opening the gate? They obviously didn't think why the dog walker asked, only of themselves getting into the run. If the dog walker asked them to wait before opening the gate to come into the run then they should have plain and simple. The first poster sounds very petty, when there have been much bigger things that have happened in the run due to people bringing un-neutered or un-spayed dogs in the run which causes fights and injuries to the dogs. Maybe they should learn some patience and understanding.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 4:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/8 23:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
This particular dog walker is a great person who helps maintain the dog run and I take her word over a 1st time poster that signs into jclist just to bash someone's reputation.

I think we need two sides of the story here.

Wow, you're arrogant. Had you have left your statement as

"this paticular..... maintain the dog run"

it would have been fine, you made your point, but no you actually went "there" with taking to attack a persons credibility over the amount of posts that someone makes on "JC List", seeing as you have 313 posts, does that mean your words carry less meaning than that of someone who has...314 posts?

i think the point of contention is that this person actually was so insulted by said dog walker, that she took the time to voice her gripe, now did she give any details that would personably identify said dog walker, No she didn't.

But since this account also has the one posting, don't take offense, because by your standards, it is meaningless.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
again, I am just asking for common courtesy, this is not something that needs to be dwelled over, and there were at least 7 dogs with her so believe what you will.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
all the dogs inside were tied up to the fence and leashed. as a dog owner I would think it's absurd to open the gate if there are loose dogs in the area.

I am not trying to bash anyone, just putting it out there as a ridiculous instance that did not need to happen.

Also, not sure what this being my first time posting here has to do with anything.

I just ask for common courtesy.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
it's one family per dog, sorry to dissapoint :)

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
And this particular dog walker doesn't walk 7 dogs at the same time.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not to throw gas on the fire but I heard that she asked you to wait a minute while she washed the grime of one of the dogs and that they were in the entrance gate for less than 1 minute. You didn't feel like waiting and proceeded to open the gate anyway which could have allowed those dogs inside to run out into the park or even worse the street. That is when she corrected you.

This particular dog walker is a great person who helps maintain the dog run and I take her word over a 1st time poster that signs into jclist just to bash someone's reputation.

I think we need two sides of the story here.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 22:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not saying all dog walkers are irresponsible, I have never actually had a problem with anyone in that park before today.

This woman had about 7 dogs tied in the section in between the gates, both gates were closed, and she was washing another dog in the drinking fountain. When we approached to go in with our dog, she snapped for us to WAIT.

We gave her a few min and went in, and got yelled at by her that we are not following the rules, while she was obviously breaking them by having more than 3 dogs in the park. When we pointed that out to her, she said she is a dog walker and gives money to the park, as if that somehow made her the messiah of the dog run.

I appreciate the people that donate money, but if that means being yelled at by the people that do, I can bring my own bag.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 21:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To all users of the Van Vorst Dog Run?we are down to the last boxes of waste bags.

In January of this year, I bought 20,000 bags for $642. Run users have used 18,000 of them, or 600 per week. These bags are paid for by donations from the dog owner community, not the city, and it?s time to ask for your help again.

We get hundreds of users in the run each week and last time I asked for donations, I received only five checks. Fortunately they were generous amounts but it?s not fair for a handful of people to be providing bags for everyone else and this supply has lasted only 6 months.

Thus far, I have received $100 from a local dog walker, $225 from one of your generous neighbors, and $56 from multiple individual donations?we still need $261 just to cover the next 6 months.

If you would like this amenity to continue, please send a check made out to ?Friends of Van Vorst Park? with ?VVP Dog Run? in the memo to:

Marc Wesson
430 Communipaw Ave.
Jersey City, N.J. 07304

Ps. the reason we prefer the provided bags instead of the plastic supermarket shopping bags, is that ours are biodegradable, easy to dispense, and keep the run neat.

Posted on: 7/7 22:10

Posted on: 2009/8/7 20:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It baffles me that dog owners and the like go into the dog run and do not pay attention to their dogs, talk on their cell phones with their backs turned, etc. Dogs need to be monitored at all times while in the run. The run is also community run and I rarely see anyone who uses it help to maintain it. Common courtesy is the name of the game. As far as the above posting I have never seen an irresponsible dog walker in the run, actually the complete opposite. They are careful to look after the dogs in their keep and I would welcome any of them to care for my dog from what I see. I have even seen them break up dog fights in the run. I actually sometimes see more people in the dog run than dogs at times, I even see people in the run with no dogs.

And if everyone who uses the run contributed money the run wouldn't be out of bags, taxes don't pay for that people. The run is maintain by private donations and maintained by the community. Mr. Mark Wesson should be given an award for all he has done for the dog run from construction to maintenance to adding his own $ for the run bags.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 20:51

Re: Van Vorst Park dog run courtesy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
somebody who walks dogs for a living had the nerve to be condescending? that takes balls.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 19:49

Van Vorst Park dog run courtesy

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear dog walkers,

Just because it's your job does not mean you can break the rules of the dog run. No where in the rules does it say "except dog walkers".

That being said, if the rule is "no more than 3 dogs per person", that actually means that if you are currently walking 10 dogs you cannot go into the dog run.

Being a dog walker does not mean you own the park.

Saying that you contribute money to the park is a ridiculous point because Van Vorst Park is partially maintained by our taxes.

Oh and here is a hint, from one professional to another, if you are walking dogs for a living, you rely on US, the dog owners, for your business.

Being a condescending bitch to the dog owners will not get you more gigs, it will instead prompt people like me to tell other dog owners not to hire you.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
To all users of the Van Vorst Dog Run?we are down to the last boxes of waste bags.

In January of this year, I bought 20,000 bags for $642. Run users have used 18,000 of them, or 600 per week. These bags are paid for by donations from the dog owner community, not the city, and it?s time to ask for your help again.

We get hundreds of users in the run each week and last time I asked for donations, I received only five checks. Fortunately they were generous amounts but it?s not fair for a handful of people to be providing bags for everyone else and this supply has lasted only 6 months.

Thus far, I have received $100 from a local dog walker, $225 from one of your generous neighbors, and $56 from multiple individual donations?we still need $261 just to cover the next 6 months.

If you would like this amenity to continue, please send a check made out to ?Friends of Van Vorst Park? with ?VVP Dog Run? in the memo to:

Marc Wesson
430 Communipaw Ave.
Jersey City, N.J. 07304

Ps. the reason we prefer the provided bags instead of the plastic supermarket shopping bags, is that ours are biodegradable, easy to dispense, and keep the run neat.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
My Brooklyn friends say "Wow, this place looks like the Heights or Park Slope." I'm sure they mean that in the best way possible.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 11:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/20 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
I can't agree more! The park looks amazing this year and somehow better than last year when I was floored by how beautiful all of the flowers were!

Seriously, you did an amazing job!
Thank you

Posted on: 2009/5/29 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Truly, it?s nice to get positive feedback every once in a while.
You are very welcome.

-parkman

Posted on: 2009/5/29 12:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman's efforts rock. I think the flowers look beautiful. My partner who lives in the city on the UES always remarks on how well manicured VV park is, and he is comparing it to Central Park which is one block from his place.

Nice job, Parkman.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 11:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just a few thoughts on this 'recent increase' of poop left in the VVP dog run:

Since the run first opened poop is left in the run.
I don't see the connection between HP dog owners and increased left poop.
What I see is what I have seen since the opening of the run: many folks are too busy talking and not watching their dogs dump.The weather change (before the monsoon) brings out more dog owners from all over JC, not just HP. It also brings out higher numbers of puppy purchases. Every day I see a new pup in the neighborhood. We have too many dogs down town for VVP to handle. One of the main reasons we are trying to secure a safe temporary space during the HP renovations.
It's great when owners cover the too busy chatting crowd and pick up the poop of other dogs.
We thank you for that. I cannot think of one single visit I have made to the run where I didn't clean up crap that was not from my dogs.
Mary Ann

www.downtowndogwalk.weebly.com
~ My Pet Care Company ~

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DOGJC/
~ Our Dog Community ~

http://animaladoptions.weebly.com/
~ Local Rescue & Adoptions ~

Posted on: 2009/5/15 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that since Hamilton Park has closed their has been an increase in the amount of poop in the dog run that isn't picked up? I'm not pointing fingers but the Van Vorst dog owners are pretty good about picking up after their dogs. We care a great deal about the dog run and we police ourselves if we have to.

I'm not knocking our fiends from Hamilton Park, but please pick up after your dogs. That's why we have bags.

Please! My wife lived near VVP when we first met and there was always poop in the run and in the park. It is not a new thing and VVP is way too far to make it worth the trip from HP. We mostly go to Enos Jones or our new secret dog-run.
If we caught people not picking up here we'd let them know it. Don't f**k with HP dog owners.

My GF or I am at the VVP dog run everyday expect when it's raining. There is clearly more dog crap not being picked up in the run in the past few weeks. Numerous owners have said the same thing. My GF has gone as far as picking up the random piles so that we don't have to look or step in it.

There are plenty of HP dog owners using the dog run these past few weeks. The amount of dogs in the run at any given time has doubled.

Why are taking it so personal? If you are not using VVP why do you care so much?

The implication is that those people are from the Hamilton Park neighborhood. There are plenty of streets between HP and VVP. The people you are talking about may have gone to HP formerly but that does not make them "HP dog owners". I know for a fact that most Hamilton Park neighborhood dog owners are not going to VVP. I do know that plenty of people who live near VVP used to go to HP because VVP and the dog run there are too small. Thus your new found dog poop is probably grown closer to home than you realize.

Posted on: 2009/5/14 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that since Hamilton Park has closed their has been an increase in the amount of poop in the dog run that isn't picked up? I'm not pointing fingers but the Van Vorst dog owners are pretty good about picking up after their dogs. We care a great deal about the dog run and we police ourselves if we have to.

I'm not knocking our fiends from Hamilton Park, but please pick up after your dogs. That's why we have bags.

Please! My wife lived near VVP when we first met and there was always poop in the run and in the park. It is not a new thing and VVP is way too far to make it worth the trip from HP. We mostly go to Enos Jones or our new secret dog-run.
If we caught people not picking up here we'd let them know it. Don't f**k with HP dog owners.

My GF or I am at the VVP dog run everyday expect when it's raining. There is clearly more dog crap not being picked up in the run in the past few weeks. Numerous owners have said the same thing. My GF has gone as far as picking up the random piles so that we don't have to look or step in it.

There are plenty of HP dog owners using the dog run these past few weeks. The amount of dogs in the run at any given time has doubled.

Why are taking it so personal? If you are not using VVP why do you care so much?

Posted on: 2009/5/14 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:

Don?t f**k with Parkman! Come on, ?make my day?.

Actually, the vast majority of dog owners using VVP respect what volunteers are doing in this beautiful public park. I mow most of the lawns and know when the sh*t flies.

I just ask that everyone in our community using this special park, understands that every plant, lawn, most trees, dog run, and events, are being paid for and are maintained by your neighbors.

I hope that you appreciate these efforts by giving back in your own way, (dispose of waste; whether yours or others, pick up after your pet, obey the laws regarding the use of the park, and if you are able, donate funds to help continue the improvement of Van Vorst Park.

Thanks,

Parkman

Posted on: 2009/5/14 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:

Posted on: 2009/5/14 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:26

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017