Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   3 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/25 23:38
Group:
Banned
i for one play on the basketball court all the time and have lived here since 2001. i pray there's a court because there are no good courts in the entire area. this is a city! there should be basketball courts in safe neighborhoods.

must be nice to be elitist.

i am shocked that the park is closed all summer. horrible planning right there.

it would be phenomenal if there was wifi like there is in some NYC parks.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This weekend I noticed a lot of Ferrell cats have made the park their home.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The Tennis courts will be resurfaced and they will be back. One of them will be multi-use, whatever that means.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if the tennis courts will be rebuilt or if they are goners... Thanks..

Posted on: 2009/6/7 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Does anyone know? Do they still get paid when it rains and work is cancelled?

Posted on: 2009/6/5 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Did they bother to mention why they stop working at 3 in the afternoon?

well they are union aren't they? : /

Posted on: 2009/6/5 17:07
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Did they bother to mention why they stop working at 3 in the afternoon?

Posted on: 2009/6/5 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Brian Weller, landscape architect with JC and project manager for the renovation, spoke at the HPNA meeting Wed night, along with a manager from Green Construction (general contractor on the project). The first thing they're doing is installing an extensive drainage system. That's going to go on for awhile (well into the summer, I forget how long we were told). When that's all done, it will look like very little has been done since all that is underground.

They're anticipating having it all done by late Fall. We'll see.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 16:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/5 15:17
Group:
Registered Users
agree. let'em do the work. maybe they finish on time. if u don't think about it will be done soon.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think it?s going to be a long wait, just plan on not using it for the rest of the summer, and if they finish sooner than it?s a plus. I think they are doing a fine job. I never thought of the park as beautiful before, though some parts of it were prettier than others. The park is/was very convenient. I realize how darn lazy I am by having the convenience taken away from me. I actually have to walk my dogs now, and guess what, they love it!!!!! Shame on me.
I welcome any change, and look forward to the renovation and the park being prettier than it was. No more ?cement park? and the value of my cement home goes up.... YIPPIE

Posted on: 2009/6/5 0:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clancey wrote:
Oh lord, here we go again... Clearly you don't walk by W. Hamilton Place...there's all new sidewalks going in. Just stop being an alarmist!!

alarm?ist (-ist)

noun

a person who habitually spreads alarming rumors, exaggerated reports of danger, etc.

1. a person who tends to raise alarms, esp. without sufficient reason, as by exaggerating dangers or prophesying calamities.

Check your vocabulary before you start spewing nonsense Clancey...

Posted on: 2009/6/5 0:20
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
I walk by the park everyday and I have seen Workers there out and about but I'm seeing absolutely no progress at all. It's been over 5 weeks. What's going on? What's taking soooooooo long? Personally I am not seeing my tax dollars at work...

They tore up the sidewalk on the West Hamilton side to install the new drainage system. They finished that part and have repaved the sidewalks. That has taken about 3 weeks. It is frustrating that the work is focused on one thing at a time and the slightest bit of rain seems to halt all work. Hopefully the aesthetic work will be quicker once the new infrastructure is in place.

It is frustrating! That park is convenient and was already beautiful. I am not at all against updating the place, I just miss hanging out there. I wish it would go faster, faster...

Posted on: 2009/6/5 0:16
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clancey wrote:
Oh lord, here we go again... Clearly you don't walk by W. Hamilton Place...there's all new sidewalks going in. Just stop being an alarmist!!

Actually, I do walk by there at least 2 times a day, 5 days a week. Sure there are new sidewalks going up but why is it going sooo slow. It's springtime, I'd like to enjoy the park! At this rate it seems like I'll be going next spring. How does me expressing the lengthy process make me an alarmist? You know what don't bother answering.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 0:12
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
I walk by the park everyday and I have seen Workers there out and about but I'm seeing absolutely no progress at all. It's been over 5 weeks. What's going on? What's taking soooooooo long? Personally I am not seeing my tax dollars at work...

They tore up the sidewalk on the West Hamilton side to install the new drainage system. They finished that part and have repaved the sidewalks. That has taken about 3 weeks. It is frustrating that the work is focused on one thing at a time and the slightest bit of rain seems to halt all work. Hopefully the aesthetic work will be quicker once the new infrastructure is in place.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 0:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 3:31
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/4 23:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/4 23:39
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
No renovation complete without a BJ's cart.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/5/28 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/27 2:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/27 17:10
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know if there are renderings of the park renovations? I would love to see them. I could only find the ballot questions (which were interesting) about the renovations.

http://www.hamiltonpark.org/

Posted on: 2009/5/27 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
that's a good point. the funds have been appropriated already, so why and how would the economy become a concern?

Posted on: 2009/5/27 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
On the popular JC List Web site, robotjustin wrote: "Why couldn't the renovation wait until October . I bet I'm not alone in having the sinking feeling that the project is going to take years, not months. Especially with the economic crisis."

Please explain how the economy has ANYTHING to do with how long the reno takes?

Posted on: 2009/5/26 3:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/24 13:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
or to slow down the rate that runoff from rain storms gets released into the the city sewer system. I would lean towards the later as the city needs to find ways from keeping the sewers from becoming overwhelmed so quickly. The less water rushing into the system every time it rains, the less basement flooding (at least in theory).
Yep that's exactly it. There are three retention basins planned for the park. Hopefully they'll eliminate the flooding issues in the park and reduce the flooding problems for the streets surrounding the park too.
The HPNA Blog has the landscaping plans which show where the three basins are to be installed. (Love those shameless HPNA plugs? ) Edit: I suppose I should mention that our next General Meeting is Wednesday June, 3rd @7:45PM at Cordero Elementary School. We plan to have both the City & Green Construction as guests to answer community questions about the Park Renovation.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 2:17

Hamilton Park Renovation to take 10 months closed for the summer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
LONG WAIT FOR PARK
Redo at Downtown site to take 10 months

Friday, May 22, 2009
By TOM SHORTELL
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A popular Downtown Jersey City park is closed this summer for a $3.2 million makeover, city officials said this week.

Hamilton Park closed April 30 for renovations that include two new dog runs, better lighting and improved drainage, said city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill. The park should reopen early next year, she said.

"The general intent here (is) to restore the circulation patterns and the overall layout of the park to its original design from the turn-of-the-century with a blend of new modern elements as requested by the community," Morrill said.

The contract to renovate the 4.6-acre park - bordered by 8th and 9th streets, W. Hamilton Place and McWilliams Place - was awarded to South River-based Green Construction.

The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association has pushed for the improvements since 2005, said Jennifer Greely, a board member of the HPNA.

"It was in really bad shape," Greely said. The association collected 1,700 cards from area residents with written suggestions on how the park should be improved, she said.

The renovations will shut the park - named for one of the nation's founding fathers, Alexander Hamilton - for nine to 10 months, Morrill said. "Postponing construction until after this summer would only result in construction occurring in the spring and summer of 2010. So the sooner, the better," she said.

A temporary park with playground equipment is being set up by Jersey City developers Eric and Paul Silverman on a lot they own on nearby Pavonia Avenue, Greely said.

Not everyone is happy with the timing of these renovations.

On the popular JC List Web site, robotjustin wrote: "Why couldn't the renovation wait until October . I bet I'm not alone in having the sinking feeling that the project is going to take years, not months. Especially with the economic crisis."

On the same site, StephanieHC, who identifies herself as a "relatively new resident of Downtown," states, "I'm sad that my first spring/summer here will be devoid of access to HP (Hamilton Park) where I had hoped to go often to think and relax. Thankfully, Van Vorst Park looks similar and is not too much further for me than HP."

Al Lopez, who has operated a hot dog stand at Hamilton Park for 18 years, said business has dropped since fences have cordoned off the park. While he'd like to see visitors return to the park and his stand, he's fine with getting the park fixed up.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Anyone know why there is a hole the size of a small swimming pool on the north side of HP? We thought maybe the city was surprising us with a pool!

My guess is that they are installing a rain collection tank that will either allow them to "reclaim" the rain water and be used for irrigation

or

to slow down the rate that runoff from rain storms gets released into the the city sewer system.

I would lean towards the later as the city needs to find ways from keeping the sewers from becoming overwhelmed so quickly. The less water rushing into the system every time it rains, the less basement flooding (at least in theory).

Posted on: 2009/5/21 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
Hi.

I walked by Hamilton Park today actually, and I think I know why.

If you look closely, there are big black plastic tubular pipes / drainage things... not sure what they are called, close to the fencing.

I read, they are adding a drainage system to the park. It apparently will run under where the walkways will be.

Thus the big ditch which I also saw today.

The good news is it seems they are making progress.

I am also wondering about the pile of wood chips. I guess they sent the downed trees through the shredder. Are there any plans for the wood chips?

I would love to take some away to add to my back yard.

FG

I actually asked about those wood-chips last week and one of the workers said I could have some if I wanted. I declined as I had no use for them. I am sure they would allow you to take some.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hi.

I walked by Hamilton Park today actually, and I think I know why.

If you look closely, there are big black plastic tubular pipes / drainage things... not sure what they are called, close to the fencing.

I read, they are adding a drainage system to the park. It apparently will run under where the walkways will be.

Thus the big ditch which I also saw today.

The good news is it seems they are making progress.

I am also wondering about the pile of wood chips. I guess they sent the downed trees through the shredder. Are there any plans for the wood chips?

I would love to take some away to add to my back yard.

FG

Posted on: 2009/5/20 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Probably for the new drainage tanks. I saw some large trucks from a drainage company in the park today.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know why there is a hole the size of a small swimming pool on the north side of HP? We thought maybe the city was surprising us with a pool!

Posted on: 2009/5/20 21:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
The court need to be flattened there were dips in the pavement it wasn't something you noticed until you actually ran around on the court. If they are doing the rest of the park they shouldn't leave any stone unturned.

Actually when I was walking by yesterday I was wondering if they are going to redo the sidewalks along the perimeter of the park. They are in bad shape and need to be redone.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
They're digging up the sidewalk along the perimeter of the park. What's the plan here, and why aren't they concentrating on the inside of the park?

Amy, that is change you can see thanks to mayor quimby, notice how none of the new sidewalk matches the old.

now question for you people, had anyone played on the basketball court? I noticed they tore it up as well to redo but I thought it was in fine shape, I could be wrong though.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 17:56
utterly deplorable

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017