Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Well, they certainly ARE putting in a drainage system. They've just unloaded to trailers worth of pipe for that.

But it DOES look like the new sidewalk goes all the way around.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
They're digging up the sidewalk along the perimeter of the park. What's the plan here, and why aren't they concentrating on the inside of the park?

I?m not involved with the plans, but my ?guess??

The renovation plans divide the park in half into ?active? (NE) and ?passive? (SW) halves on a diagonal. If the sidewalk is being uprooted on the NE side, it makes sense if they?re putting in a drainage system for all the asphalt surfaces.

If they?re digging up all the sidewalks (including the ?passive? SW side), I can?t say why.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 14:40
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
They're digging up the sidewalk along the perimeter of the park. What's the plan here, and why aren't they concentrating on the inside of the park?

Posted on: 2009/5/20 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
As a relatively new resident of downtown JC (almost 1 year now), I have to say how disappointed I was...

A lot of us feel that way.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 13:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/6 12:02
Group:
Registered Users
Eh, I don't make much of that guy saying "three months," it didn't seem like a particularly official number the way he said it. When I read 6-9 months online later, that's how long I assumed it would really take. But who knows.

I don't need piss-free grass to sit on. A bench is enough for me. And I have to say Van Vorst Park was OK, but really disappointing compared to Hamilton Park. A lot noisier, less beautiful, fewer trees and green space, and near a really busy intersection with supremely annoying ice cream trucks.

Meh.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
NOPE... I am staying. Cant wait for that first pee in the park.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GoEagles wrote:
I can't wait to NOT have to "relax" in the grassless, dog piss infused dirt that made up the open space of HP. While it had potential, it certainly was not by any means a place of "simple beauty of trees and green space" - actually far from it. Bring on the high tech playgrounds, dog runs, new benches and tables, open space with grass and a place for all to be happy. I can't wait for the new and improved HP - take as much time as you need to do it right....

It certainly had potential, which was ruined by dog piss infused dirt. But I don't see what this expensive and long renovation project will do about that.

Surprisingly, it's still legal for a dog to piss on the dirt in this crowded city. It's still legal for a dog to defecate on the dirt and for only the majority of it to be picked up.

Any laws restricting dogs to certain areas of the park are not going to be enforced. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves about Jersey City. The lawn will still be disgusting to lay on, and the sidewalks that you have to walk across to get there will still be disgusting.

This city is too crowded to allow human or dog waste in the streets and parks. Cutting down trees and planting flowers will not solve this. Perhaps closing the park for a summer will force the dog-owners to move elsewhere, but I'm not optimistic.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 19:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 12:59
Group:
Registered Users
The workers are moving quickly and have done a lot since they started. Of course the demolition phase is usually the fastest but I have some hope they will move quickly through the whole process.

Really? Speak to someone who knows a little about construction, just a little, and you'll find they're working at snails' pace.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 19:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/10 21:47
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StephanieHC wrote:
As a relatively new resident of downtown JC (almost 1 year now), I have to say how disappointed I was when I gathered my things to walk to Hamilton Park today only to arrive there and find the entire park shut down, and then have a worker there tell me it would be shut down for at least three months. I was ready to write a fiery letter to the city government--you would choose to shut down a park so that there's no access throughout the time of the year when people most want to be outdoors?--but thankfully did a little research and saw that this renovation has been long desired by residents, which tempered my anger somewhat. (Though I still don't understand why they need to shut the entire park down instead of shut it down in sections and leave part of it accessible like with Washington Square Park.) So now I come here to vent instead

I share the previous poster's concern about the intentions for the new park. One of the things I really liked about Hamilton Park as it was, was that it was a simple space with trees and benches where one could enjoy a relaxing moment in nature. Tennis courts, high-tech playgrounds, and so on, are not to me what makes a park appealing. I know they are for many residents with families, but I certainly hope the new park maintains the simple beauty of the old. Because I think what people in cities need most when it comes to parks is not high tech playground equipment but a place where they can relax and enjoy the simple pleasures of nature, a respite from the pace and endless concrete of the urban environment.

I'm sad that my first spring/summer here will be devoid of access to HP, where I had hoped to go often to think and relax. Thankfully, Van Vorst Park looks similar and not too much further from me than HP was. But I really hope that when they unveil the new park they hold on to what made the park great originally, which was the simple beauty of the trees and green space. If people want a park with fewer trees and lots of sports-oriented playground space, they can go to Enos Jones, which is exactly what I DON'T look for in a park, and some place I can't see myself going to relax or for any reason, really.

I can't wait to NOT have to "relax" in the grassless, dog piss infused dirt that made up the open space of HP. While it had potential, it certainly was not by any means a place of "simple beauty of trees and green space" - actually far from it. Bring on the high tech playgrounds, dog runs, new benches and tables, open space with grass and a place for all to be happy. I can't wait for the new and improved HP - take as much time as you need to do it right....

Posted on: 2009/5/19 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In your venting you give us some hope as we had been told that the park could be closed for 6 to 8 months. Let's hope it's only 3 months.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 18:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/6 12:02
Group:
Registered Users
As a relatively new resident of downtown JC (almost 1 year now), I have to say how disappointed I was when I gathered my things to walk to Hamilton Park today only to arrive there and find the entire park shut down, and then have a worker there tell me it would be shut down for at least three months. I was ready to write a fiery letter to the city government--you would choose to shut down a park so that there's no access throughout the time of the year when people most want to be outdoors?--but thankfully did a little research and saw that this renovation has been long desired by residents, which tempered my anger somewhat. (Though I still don't understand why they need to shut the entire park down instead of shut it down in sections and leave part of it accessible like with Washington Square Park.) So now I come here to vent instead

I share the previous poster's concern about the intentions for the new park. One of the things I really liked about Hamilton Park as it was, was that it was a simple space with trees and benches where one could enjoy a relaxing moment in nature. Tennis courts, high-tech playgrounds, and so on, are not to me what makes a park appealing. I know they are for many residents with families, but I certainly hope the new park maintains the simple beauty of the old. Because I think what people in cities need most when it comes to parks is not high tech playground equipment but a place where they can relax and enjoy the simple pleasures of nature, a respite from the pace and endless concrete of the urban environment.

I'm sad that my first spring/summer here will be devoid of access to HP, where I had hoped to go often to think and relax. Thankfully, Van Vorst Park looks similar and not too much further from me than HP was. But I really hope that when they unveil the new park they hold on to what made the park great originally, which was the simple beauty of the trees and green space. If people want a park with fewer trees and lots of sports-oriented playground space, they can go to Enos Jones, which is exactly what I DON'T look for in a park, and some place I can't see myself going to relax or for any reason, really.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 17:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/17 22:54
Group:
Registered Users
They have cut down at least three large trees in hamilton park since work started. JC hates trees. They won't be content until the whole place is turned into a rubberized playground for toddlers.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 1:41

Re: New Improved HP

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/15 15:50
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the info, I'm happy to see that they not only thought about the human kiddes but our doggie kiddies. But these plans are intense I don't see it reopening till the fall, which kinda sucks a whole summer without HP.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 0:34

Re: New Improved HP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/5/15 0:22

New Improved HP

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/15 15:50
Group:
Registered Users
Has any one heard (or seen) the new plans for Hamilton Park? I walked by today and it looks like they are really tearing up the place but haven't heard anything about their plans?

Posted on: 2009/5/15 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The workers are moving quickly and have done a lot since they started. Of course the demolition phase is usually the fastest but I have some hope they will move quickly through the whole process.

Posted on: 2009/5/14 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Oskilo, your avatar is hilarious.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
I'm not an attorney or a labor expert, but if the park workers are hourly, then yes, there is a reason why they can't work more than 40 hours a week. If they do, the law requires that they be paid overtime, and maybe the city won't pay it. Also, they may be unionized and under a contract that says they will work 40 hours a week. Finally, physical labor is different from non-physical labor. I think 40 hours a week is reasonable, assuming it's the same group of workers every time.

I have worked desk jobs and physical jobs. In general, it's a lot easier to work long hours at a desk job.

They could make two shifts and then everyone is a part time worker AND the park gets done twice as fast! This is a government contract fail.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 15:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/24 13:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
Walking around the park this morning, I heard one of the construction dudes say, "they are really crazy about the trees around here. we're not gonna take it down unless we have to."
At least someone is getting the message.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
i am glad they stop at 3:30, and i really do not want the noise there on the weekends. I think they are doing a decent job, and i cant wait till the park is finished and ready to be enjoyed, whenever that will be.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 15:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
Well then there should be more workers working in shifts. It just seems silly to me. Although I do enjoy how quiet it is on the weekend with no people in the park.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not an attorney or a labor expert, but if the park workers are hourly, then yes, there is a reason why they can't work more than 40 hours a week. If they do, the law requires that they be paid overtime, and maybe the city won't pay it. Also, they may be unionized and under a contract that says they will work 40 hours a week. Finally, physical labor is different from non-physical labor. I think 40 hours a week is reasonable, assuming it's the same group of workers every time.

I have worked desk jobs and physical jobs. In general, it's a lot easier to work long hours at a desk job.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I work steadily from about 8am til about 7pm, and on an average week, I work til 9 twice a week. I guess I am in the wrong field.

There is absolutely no reason why they can't work another few hours during the week.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not talking about people using the park. I'm talking about the person asking why the workers weren't working past 3:30 in the afternoon or so. They seem to work steadily from about 7-3:30, is what I'm saying.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
For all who are wondering why the park is quiet in the evenings when they return home-- I work from home and can hear them working steadily from about 7 am well into the afternoon.

If this was December, that would seem perfectly reasonable, but its summer, when people actually want to use the park and its light out until 8 at night.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For all who are wondering why the park is quiet in the evenings when they return home-- I work from home and can hear them working steadily from about 7 am well into the afternoon. They are working hard. As for the trees, it seems like some they cut down didn't have to be cut down. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 3:31
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, thet entrance at W. Hamilton and 8th Street looks so great with that old tree gone that grew over the fence. It looks so open, big and inviting.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
I would love to know why no work is done on the weekends. And also why work stops at around 3:30 every day?

They start about 7am. 7-330 is a good amount of hours, Mon-Fri. Geeseh...

Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i'd imagine it's because the people doing the work are probably Union guys... and getting the work done on weekends would cost more for overtime...

Posted on: 2009/5/13 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to know why no work is done on the weekends. And also why work stops at around 3:30 every day?

Posted on: 2009/5/13 13:44

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017