Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Disobedient Dog Owner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Is the problem house a multi family? if it is, Im sure there is an illegal apartment. If this is the case or there are too many people living there, call zoning and explain all the problems.

we had a very similiar problem on our block. Problem tenants with an abused dog. all the neighbors called animal control, the police etc. nothing worked. finally someone called zoning and reported an illegal apartment. the very next day the house was raided by about 5 different agencies. The problem tenants, the barking dog etc were all gone that day. I heard the landlord was fined $10,000 as well.

I dont feel bad for the landlord because people asked him nicely several times to cooperate.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lovejc wrote:
We called JC animal control but that was around the time of all the Liberty Park stuff. No one answered.

You would think that would be the time they were actually stepping up to the plate to seem like they were doing their jobs.
I called them once (three days in a row) for another issue and again, no call back.

Can't add the the good advice already given. Good luck with your situation.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 17:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/4 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
If the dog is outside 24/7 without protection from the weather, direct sunlight, heat, no water, etc., that violates NJ's animal cruelty laws (could be either a disorderly persons offense or a felony, depending on how bad it is). All JC Animal Control Officers can investigate and prosecute this. The failure of JC ACOs to respond is unfortunately, not uncommon -- yet another reason we need an Animal Control Commission to oversee this department.

However, JC Animal Control is not the only agency that can investigate this. The NJ State SPCA can also. They're headquarters are in New Brunswick and they have an 800 number to report stuff like this. You can also call a local SPCA agent at 201-638-3600

But please, please, contact your Ward rep and Vega and the Mayor and let them know that once again, Joe Frank and crew are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. This goes on all the time and now there's a chance to actually do something about it.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

grannyanny wrote:
Thank you for trying to care for this dog. He needs you.

You've done the right thing by calling Animal Control and the JCPD. Unfortunately, it is legal for a dog to be kept in the backyard for his entire life, but it is ILLEGAL for the dog not to be provided with shelter (at least this is the case in New York State).

I have an extremely negative opinion regarding JC Animal Control, but I would try again with them as well as the police.

Granny, the same laws apply here in New Jersey.
I like the idea of calling the task force as well as animal control and since there is a health issue because of their failure to clean up after the dog. Seems like there should be a few issues that get addressed.

Good luck...poor pooch I hope it gets a better life.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 11:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
"d?me el perro. Tengo el n?mero del INS en dial de la velocidad."

Translated: Give me the dog. I have the INS on speed dial.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 11:39
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
"d?me el perro. Tengo el n?mero del INS en dial de la velocidad."

Posted on: 2009/5/5 2:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
wow...thx everyone for your help! that was quick!

to skeptical: we just bought, so def not moving anytime soon - love the neighborhood except for these neighbors - even they weren't too much of an issue (a little loud in the summer) until the dog came around.

CapnJohn: will def call that number! thank u for advice.

Vigilante: we are in the heights - near washington park/union city...and yes, we actually love the dog (from watching it anyway)- I would consider asking under different circumstances...but the language barrier coupled with the fact that I will be trying to get them to leave the block...well, I am too chicken-*&% you may say! and I really don't have the time to care for a dog as much as I may want to. but I could try to get it into a rescue program...I guess back to language barrier and my timid spirit?

Posted on: 2009/5/5 2:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/19 12:51
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for trying to care for this dog. He needs you.

You've done the right thing by calling Animal Control and the JCPD. Unfortunately, it is legal for a dog to be kept in the backyard for his entire life, but it is ILLEGAL for the dog not to be provided with shelter (at least this is the case in New York State).

I have an extremely negative opinion regarding JC Animal Control, but I would try again with them as well as the police.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Why don't you ask if you can have the dog and then get it into a rescue program. One of our dogs spent 2 years in a similiar hell in the freezing cold of Pittsburgh until my wife rescued her by asking the family for the dog. Perhaps you can try Animal Control again. BTW, what neighborhood are you in?

Posted on: 2009/5/5 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
call the jersey city quality of life task force - the number is 201-547-4562.

we called them successfully and had illegal apartments on our block vacated.... (and along with it, the noise, and drug dealing)

Posted on: 2009/5/5 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Call INS. They will disappear. Hopefully they'll take the dog. Or, find out who owns the property. It may be a scumbag contractor using illegals and stacking them in a house at exhorbitant rents (in the aggregate). Or, contact the housing authority. Any kids there-definitely contact dyfs. Or put up signs around the neighborhood bringing attention-probably won't do much if they're illegals.

Or just move-thats probably the best idea. Your neighborhood has gone down hill.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 0:01

Disobedient Dog Owner
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
Our neighbors acquired a large dog a few months back...they leave it outside at all hours of the day. It whines and cries and paces around...no dog house, no shade, nothing comfortable to lie on as the entire backyard is concrete.

When they first got the dog there was a freeeezing cold day shortly thereafter...the dog was making horrible sounds all day. We called JC animal control but that was around the time of all the Liberty Park stuff. No one answered. We called the cops and they actually sent someone over to deal with the issue.

So now we are nearing the hot humid days of summer and I am worried for the dog again.

But the bigger issue is that they don't clean up at all! The backyard is full of shite. and on the few hot spring days we've had - the smell of smoking urine is nasty. I can only imagine what it will smell like in August...I don't think anyone has walked this dog since it arrived.

Finally - you may wonder why we haven't just spoken to our neighbors...interesting issue. The house appears to be a transient-type place where different shifts of Mexicans sleep while they are not working. A van picks them up at all hours of the day and drops different people back off all evening. No one speaks English. We've tried. We don't know who owns the dog. We also don't know who owns the house.

okay - any ideas? please help!

Posted on: 2009/5/4 23:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017