Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Boycott A-1 Deli
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
As you know, I disagree about the Mrs. Lee/ A1 thing, but that's cool.

But taking potshots at Jaded for (re)presenting her position is silly. That is: psychobabble about "self-loathing" doesn't make any sense here. Nothing Jaded did suggests she lacks confidence or a positive self-regard. And, there is no hatred-of-self by way of another from the same race.

What's "embarrassing" is the anonymity this blog provides to 95% of you punks out there. Everybody's taking pot shots at everybody else: this restaurant sucks, this OP sucks, this egg salad sucks, etc.

What could be a useful forum for information-gathering... no longer. Just in-fighting and sniping, and no reason to believe any OP or comment presents a valuable viewpoint.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
MagalyMontero: I'm flattered that I pissed you off enough to register and post on JCList. Welcome to the forum! As for me being an embarrassment...well, that's all in the eye of the beholder. I guess for you, it's OK for one small local business to extort another small local business just to save a couple of bucks. But that's neither here nor there. As for my complaining: Guilty as charged about the BJ carts. They really were an eyesore, especially when people started using the abandoned carts as garbage receptacles. I don't recall ever complaining about "suspicious" youth, but I have weighed in on the incessant drug dealing at that little park on Wayne between Barrow & Jersey. As for the Mr. Softee truck - you must have me confused to with another poster. But, thank you for reminding me that it's a lovely day out - I think I'll go get some ice cream!

Posted on: 2009/4/28 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/28 14:47
Group:
Registered Users
JadedJC:

I always find it amusing when people like you call for a boycott on a small local business, that has been operating well before your grand arrival, based on some half-assed information.

Imagine being so self-loathing that you find the time to constantly complain day and night about everything from shopping carts to "suspicious" youth in the neighborhood to the Mr. Softee truck.

You're an embarrassment.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 14:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/2 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
They smoke behind the counter while they make the sandwiches.

They didn't give a damn when I complained. So screw em'.

(And you always get hassled for money by that homeless dude outside.)

Posted on: 2009/4/28 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a racist, but I am discriminating.

Best subs are at Marrow Deli on Jersey Ave near C.Columbus.

Even if you disagree, you're only out ~$4 for the sandwich.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
why the fk is everyone calling each other racist on this forum now. Is that the latest fad?

Posted on: 2009/4/28 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I just get a botulisimy vibe when I walk by the place.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Chester, are you basing your botulism comment on anything you personally observed/experienced, or just getting in on the action? When people levy food poisoning allegations against businesses, usually it is done with more detail, including regaling the listers with information about visits to the bathroom or ER, as it were. I'd like to know if there is anything to your comment, as I am a frequent A-1 customer.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did say JadedJC was perpetuating stereotypes, but I never accused her of doing so as a racist. Someone else did. That is: I don't much care that she was doing so, but I was using intentionally inflammatory language ("swarthy terrorist") to put a fine point on my criticism of the story.

The crucial point about the absurdity of this "boycott" was apparently lost on you, wibbit.

Further, it is not hard to be racist about one's own race. And here, the several "asians" and unknowns under consideration were never said to be of the same national, cultural, ethnic, or otherwise heritage, so the question of self-loathing is irrelevant here.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The fear of botulism alone should be enough to keep anyone out of A-1.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Oh, so Asians can't ever be racist, right? Haha!

nope, but it is pretty hard to be a racist about your own race.

and alanwright, you are saying the exact same things you yourself accused jadedjc of.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Finally, for the record, I'm Asian myself...

So, for the record: you're standing up for Mrs. Lee because in fact you are Mrs. Lee! Or, she's your (grand)mother. When is granny opening the sandwich shop to rival A1? Because A1 uses too much mayo in their egg salad, and the place is sort of cruddy.

And, for the record, we now all agree that stereotypes are not only perpetuated by white, middle-class suburban males (like me). This should not come as a surprise, as many small business owners in American cities are first and second generation immigrants, and some allege they discriminate against African-American males.

Recall the scene from Do the Right Thing where everybody was drinking haterade. Except for Mister Senor Love Daddy. He was de-escalating like a love daddy gotta. That flik was on point! Practically a documentary.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, so Asians can't ever be racist, right? Haha!

Anyway, not "everything" here is being boiled down to racism. Just your posts.

What's sad is that you're not even aware of it. What, your racist remark isn't racist because it was said sarcastically? Or in jest? Honey, you need to look up the term one of these days. Better yet, look in the mirror.

TIA.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jc-insomniac wrote:
Wow, what an ass!

Jaded, in your last few posts, you managed to stereotype East Asians as weak and unable to defend themselves, Arabs as terrorists, and South Asians as unable to speak fluent English.

Way to go! This, along with your unnecessary call for a boycott, should make your parents proud! Woohoo!

Wow! I love how everything on JC List gets boiled down to racism. That snippet you tagged was a sarcastic reply to alanwright casting doubts on Mrs. Lee's account of what was going on because he didn't think she could communicate that well in English. At least, that's how I read his post. And I never ever called the Middle Eastern guy a "terrorist" (again, alanwright used that word) - just a bully. He was a big guy, and he used that to his advantage. Finally, for the record, I'm Asian myself, so take your moral outrage at my "stereotyping" and stick it where the sun don't shine, sweetheart. I know what I saw, and I stand by it. If you want to keep patronizing A-1, that's your right, of course.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I think we both know my English is too fluent for me to be a Subway franchisee.

Wow, what an ass!

Jaded, in your last few posts, you managed to stereotype East Asians as weak and unable to defend themselves, Arabs as terrorists, and South Asians as unable to speak fluent English.

Way to go! This, along with your unnecessary call for a boycott, should make your parents proud! Woohoo!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JadedJC wrote:

Quote:

I think we both know my English is too fluent for me to be a Subway franchisee.

Yes.

Quote:

Hell, it's probably better than yours.

Huh?

Quote:

I doubt my little campaign will put much of a dent in A-1's business.

It won't, but you should try harder.

Quote:

Have you ever tried to talk to her, or are you just making certain assumptions?

Not making any assumptions, or "certain" assumptions, byt which I assume you're implying I was the one stereotyping.

I made a statement based on a different kind of uncertainty. I've chatted briefly with her on several occasions. Usually she's quiet. Like I said, I *didn't know* she was so communicative. A careful read would have shown I used those very words.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
alanwright wrote:
The fact is: you DON'T know who the guy was. You trust Mrs. Lee that it's a "pattern" and that A1 is behind it. You trust her explanation of the behavior, and its motives. She's a nice lady, but I didn't know she was so communicative (in English?).

Anyway: based on a single first-hand experience (of a still unknown phenomenon) and minimal anecdotal evidence, you want the people at A1 deli to have their homes foreclosed on and their cars repossessed. Hopefully their wives will divorce them and their children will run away, too! Thereupon, your barely successful Subway(R) restaurant will flourish!

I think we both know my English is too fluent for me to be a Subway franchisee. Hell, it's probably better than yours. I doubt my little campaign will put much of a dent in A-1's business. There are way too many people desperate at 3 a.m. for their fix of nicotine and whatever else they sell to put them out of business. I'm just trying to stick up in my own way for the Lees, because I hate it when some wanker tries to bully a nice, hard-working lady. And, yes, Mrs. Lee is pretty communicative in English. Have you ever tried to talk to her, or are you just making certain assumptions? If you've ever heard her shout to the guys in the back, her Spanish isn't bad either - certainly better than mine.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I, for one, am NOT going to boycott A-1 Deli. I go there all the time, purchase and enjoy excellent sandwiches made with reliably fresh ingredients. However, I have purchased fruits from Lee's that were sub-par, and I do not go there very often as a result. But that is not really the point of this thread, I guess. I don't know who any of you are, but I have relied on this site for recommendations and advice. Not here. This story relies too much on speculation, hearsay and hyperbole, and, therefore, I am sticking with my own experience until I see something that tells me otherwise.
In fact, I think we will have A-1 pepper turkey heros for supper tonight.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Except if you had read my post carefully...

Get a grip. I read it carefully. You're making a lot of assumptions based on their reaction ("They knew immediately...") and his behavior (which you couldn't see from behind the middle aisle).

The fact is: you DON'T know who the guy was. You trust Mrs. Lee that it's a "pattern" and that A1 is behind it. You trust her explanation of the behavior, and its motives. She's a nice lady, but I didn't know she was so communicative (in English?).

Anyway: based on a single first-hand experience (of a still unknown phenomenon) and minimal anecdotal evidence, you want the people at A1 deli to have their homes foreclosed on and their cars repossessed. Hopefully their wives will divorce them and their children will run away, too! Thereupon, your barely successful Subway(R) restaurant will flourish!

Your consumer activism is misplaced. You, alone and of your own accord, came to this website to document your observations about this strange occurrence without considering any alternatives or looking for verification. Nor do you have any idea if this is sanctioned by the bosses, of it's just one fat guy (the stomping, lumbering, sweaty terrorist!) from A1 trying to resell A1's old tomatoes on his own.

P.S., dear critic-reader. I'm obviously using hyperbole intentionally to have some fun. But I do think the OP is trying too hard to make a boycott out of nothing and turn some fat idiot into a stereotype.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
alan wright wrote:
Here's an alternative theory: the guy doesn't work at A1. He's a cab driver, or just some local, and is not known for his good demeanor. That he walked into A1 tells us nothing.

Except if you had read my post carefully, you would've realized this was not an isolated incident. It's become a pattern of behavior. If this guy was in there for the first time to return something, Mrs. Lee and the stockroom guy wouldn't have reacted the way they did the moment he walked into the store. They knew immediately what was going on, and the guy's behavior also suggested that's he knows they're onto his scam. Also, the merchants on Grove Street all know each other, I doubt she would've named A-1 specifically if she wasn't sure.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
It's simple -- Mrs. Lee just needs to start watching Seinfeld reruns... Here is a excerpt from the script.... -snip- (Kramer spits out his peach) Seinfeld: Bad peach? KRAMER: It's terrible! Seinfeld: Did you get that at Joe's? KRAMER: Yeah, of course I got it at Joe's. Seinfeld: That's surprising, his fruit is usually the best. KRAMER: You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna return this. Seinfeld: You're returning used fruit? KRAMER: Jerry this peach is sub par. [location: Joe's] OWNER JOE: So what do you want me to do? KRAMER: I want restitution. OWNER JOE: Restitution? You want restitution? Why should I give you restitution? KRAMER: Because it's no good. OWNER JOE: When you put that fruit out, that's where it ends for me. KRAMER: It's still your fruit, you gotta stand behind your fruit. OWNER JOE: I stand behind my fruit. KRAMER: So... OWNER JOE: Hey, you got a bad peach? That's an act of God. He makes the peaches. I don't make the peaches, I sell the peaches. You have a problem? You talk to him. KRAMER: You know this whole place is going vrrrrrrrrrrrrt, downhill. I could have come in here last week with a bad plum but I let it go. OWNER JOE: Well let me put a solution for you: do your business elsewhere, I don't want your business. KRAMER: Oh now you don't want my business. OWNER JOE: No, I don't want your business and from this moment you're banned from the store, you're banned! KRAMER: But what am I gonna do for fruit?

Posted on: 2009/4/27 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JadedJC wrote:

Quote:

I normally don't actively call for a boycott of any local business...

But here, with very little evidence, you *did* call for a "boycott". This story is just so neat and tidy: sweet victimized East Asian immigrant terrorized (oops, I said it) by aggressive, swarthy, lumbering Arab! Ya can't trust them!

Here's an alternative theory: the guy doesn't work at A1. He's a cab driver, or just some local, and is not known for his good demeanor. That he walked into A1 tells us nothing.

Quote:

I know every story has two sides, but I believe Mrs. Lee on this one.

Did you try to find out anyone else's side? Perhaps you should have asked the guy before trying to sandbag somebody's livelihood.

Alternative theory #2: Mrs. Lee is getting into the sandwich-making business, and has concocted this absurd story to bring sympathetic customers to her and to poach business from A1. (That would be awesome, if true.).

Posted on: 2009/4/27 13:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/15 16:35
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Boycott A-1 anyways, their food is bad.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The Lees are well within their right to refuse service to anyone...then there will be a boyvott A-1.

I sooner support the Lees but publicity csn get out of hand and both stores lose bisuness.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 7:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If Lee's is open at 3am, I'll happily go there.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 1:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The people at Lee's are really nice - but I have gotten some old fruit there at times - they are not always the freshest....

Difference is that the Lees would probably be embarrassed and do something about it were you to point this out at time of purchase. They've been super supportive over the years and have always been helpful/cordial when one has time to shoot the breeze with them on an early weekend morning. Hope they realize how well the neighborhood appreciates them.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone else seems to know how to move these guys along...

And why is it that Paradise and A-1 have this problem? What is it with 24 hour places?

And to be fair, at times Lee's does sell some produce that is clearly past its prime.

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I don't think A-1 can legally chase people off a public sidewalk, and Lee's has had its own share of panhandlers asking for change as you leave.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think A-1 can legally chase people off a public sidewalk, and Lee's has had its own share of panhandlers asking for change as you leave.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The people at Lee's are really nice - but I have gotten some old fruit there at times - they are not always the freshest....

But also I'm no fan of A-1 letting bums hang out front either...

Posted on: 2009/4/26 19:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Even when I used to go in A1...it was only when 1 guy was there and now that he opened up Marrow I haven't been back anyway

Posted on: 2009/4/26 16:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017