Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Newport: Man plunges 7 stories to death in apparent suicide.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Ok . Man jumps to his death and people speak of illegal status. A man jumped to his death. It may have been a love interest. It may have been a life threating problem. It may have been a mental unbalance .

Posted on: 2009/4/10 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
I did not make up facts, if they are full time employees of the us bank directly, then it's the same as other us full time employees, we are talking about foreign consultants.

This is not the appropropriate thread to continue this further, so will stop.

Quote:

JCSoxFan wrote:
[quote]
I find it quite ironic that you criticize FAB made up story, and then go ahead to make up facts on your own.

In the large corporations and banks that are in both NYC and Jersey City, there are a number of immigrant workers that are both contract workers and employees of the corporations and banks.

For those that are full time employees they're generally on H1 visas, which are valid as long as they are employed. In the event that they're laid off they generally have a couple of weeks to find work before they are no longer legal aliens. Considering that many companies have notice periods and/or salary continuations for laid off employees, that might buy them a bit more time and while they will still often get severance they are not eligible for unemployment benefits. While they can usually afford plane tickets to fly back home and move their stuff, it gets more complicated if they're early on a 12 month lease or have student loan debt after getting their Bachelors or Masters degrees in the US.

For those that are contract workers, it depends on what type of consulting firm they're going through. Some (like Infosys, the employer that received the most H1 visas last year) pay their entire salary, benefits and they'll receive full pay until Infosys finds them a new job (or lays them off and pays to send them back to India). Other consulting firms only provide basic assistance mainly attaining an H1 visa, and some job placement. While their visa will remain valid and allow them to stay in the US, they may be receiving very little or no pay at all, and likely did not receive any money from being laid off as a contract worker.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 20:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
The victim in this story did not actually even live down here (in Newport). According to the policeman, he lived by Jersey Avenue.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 18:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anon2009 wrote:
The person in this story was a friend of mine. He was not an immigrant and this incident was not caused by the economy.

I'm sorry for your loss. And doubly sorry that you had to witness firsthand how some jackasses here will use anything - even the death of someone's child, if you read another recent thread - to further their own agendas.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 17:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/18 15:50
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

matchjames wrote:
Can we take a step back here? FAB INVENTS a speculative "saga" of some "overseas" worker? When he knows virtually NOTHING about what happened to this person and why? It's EXACTLY what I said.. speculative idiocy. To call out MY comment as worthless when I just read a four paragraph MADE UP story about what happened to this poor soul?

Agree. Also the process of bring in foreign consultants, the ones who live in newport and work by the waterfront are not how fab described at all.

The consultants work for a large consulting company, so they are perm employees of that company and get paid by it. Then the big US banks deal with the consulting company, not the person directly. The person just does the work.

So even if the person's contract got cancelled from the US bank, he will still get paid the same from his firm. They usually find him another contract, or during tough times like now fly him to work back home at a lower salary. All the airfares are paid for by the company, and it certainly doesnt take "borrow money from relatives" to come work here.

FAB is just going off by his clueless generic belief saw on tv of some immigrant borrwing money from relative and come to the us hiding in a boat etc.. That's far from the truth (for the ones living in newport).

The suicide could be due to shame, or losing their house, etc.. who knows. I agree wth matchjames' post.

I find it quite ironic that you criticize FAB made up story, and then go ahead to make up facts on your own.

In the large corporations and banks that are in both NYC and Jersey City, there are a number of immigrant workers that are both contract workers and employees of the corporations and banks.

For those that are full time employees they're generally on H1 visas, which are valid as long as they are employed. In the event that they're laid off they generally have a couple of weeks to find work before they are no longer legal aliens. Considering that many companies have notice periods and/or salary continuations for laid off employees, that might buy them a bit more time and while they will still often get severance they are not eligible for unemployment benefits. While they can usually afford plane tickets to fly back home and move their stuff, it gets more complicated if they're early on a 12 month lease or have student loan debt after getting their Bachelors or Masters degrees in the US.

For those that are contract workers, it depends on what type of consulting firm they're going through. Some (like Infosys, the employer that received the most H1 visas last year) pay their entire salary, benefits and they'll receive full pay until Infosys finds them a new job (or lays them off and pays to send them back to India). Other consulting firms only provide basic assistance mainly attaining an H1 visa, and some job placement. While their visa will remain valid and allow them to stay in the US, they may be receiving very little or no pay at all, and likely did not receive any money from being laid off as a contract worker.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 17:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/6 16:19
Group:
Registered Users
The person in this story was a friend of mine. He was not an immigrant and this incident was not caused by the economy.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

matchjames wrote:
Can we take a step back here? FAB INVENTS a speculative "saga" of some "overseas" worker? When he knows virtually NOTHING about what happened to this person and why? It's EXACTLY what I said.. speculative idiocy. To call out MY comment as worthless when I just read a four paragraph MADE UP story about what happened to this poor soul?

Agree. Also the process of bring in foreign consultants, the ones who live in newport and work by the waterfront are not how fab described at all.

The consultants work for a large consulting company, so they are perm employees of that company and get paid by it. Then the big US banks deal with the consulting company, not the person directly. The person just does the work.

So even if the person's contract got cancelled from the US bank, he will still get paid the same from his firm. They usually find him another contract, or during tough times like now fly him to work back home at a lower salary. All the airfares are paid for by the company, and it certainly doesnt take "borrow money from relatives" to come work here.

FAB is just going off by his clueless generic belief saw on tv of some immigrant borrwing money from relative and come to the us hiding in a boat etc.. That's far from the truth (for the ones living in newport).

The suicide could be due to shame, or losing their house, etc.. who knows. I agree wth matchjames' post.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/10 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
as per usual, speculative idiocy.

whatever. that was a great post tankass.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 9:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
as per usual, speculative idiocy.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Eloquently said, FAB. But do we know the person was an immigrant?

RIP.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'll paint the picture.

An overseas worker arrives to NY with the promise of employment with a large global corporation.
After paying for his / her airfares and signing a rent agreement for 12 months, they settle in and start to work.

Behind the scene, no-one knows that it took every cent from their family and relatives to send him / her here and he /she promises to pay them back - which they start to do and they are seen as the golden child, the pride of the town or city from which they came.

Then siht hits the fan - they are laid-off with no prospects, no income and the shame of not being able to pay-off their loan to family back home. Stress and anxiety builds, no family or close friends for support and the answer becomes clear after a build up of time and bills. The only solution in their minds is ... jump!

Posted on: 2009/4/10 1:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
There have always been too many suicides along the waterfront - I'm not sure why - maybe this one has more to do with the economy.

It is very odd that this happened near the Newport Mall and just today there is another sad story at the Queens Mall (also near LaFrak's other huge complex.)

Woman commits suicide, lands on teen at NYC mall

5 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) ? Authorities say a woman who jumped to her death inside a busy New York City mall landed on a teenager, causing injuries that sent him to a hospital.

The lower level of the Queens Center Mall was packed with high school students on spring break when the woman jumped Wednesday from the third floor.

Seventeen-year-old Derrick Munoz had been sitting in a massage chair with a sign reading, "sit back and relax," when the woman landed on him.

The teen's stepbrother says Munoz was briefly knocked unconscious and has a large gash on his head.

Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown says the woman was in her early to mid-50s. She was with two teenagers before she plunged.

Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com

Posted on: 2009/4/9 18:45

Newport: Man plunges 7 stories to death in apparent suicide.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Man plunges 7 stories to death in Jersey City

by Journal Staff
Tuesday April 07, 2009, 10:49 PM

Jersey City police are calling the death of a 43-year-old man who plunged from the top floor of a parking garage an apparent suicide.

Police were called shortly before 8 tonight by passersby who said a man was standing on the ledge of the roof of the garage at Pavonia Avenue and River Drive South near Newport and that he looked like he was about to jump, according to police spokesman Stan Eason.

By the time police arrived, however, the man had plunged seven stories to his death, Eason said.

An empty bottle of an antidepressant drug and wine and liquor bottles were found on the roof, he said

Posted on: 2009/4/8 12:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017