Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: ANIMAL CONTROL dumps CATs/KiTTENS in Lincoln Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
How do you know this? In any event I am happy that if what you say is indeed true, I am glad that what Animal Control may have been doing for a long time has finally come to light...

I was just kidding...

But I do think that the owner owes this forum a little essay on how Daisy was lost and found.

Unless she is holding out the scoop for an upcoming book...

Posted on: 2009/3/5 2:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
How do you know this? In any event I am happy that if what you say is indeed true, I am glad that what Animal Control may have been doing for a long time has finally come to light...

Posted on: 2009/3/5 1:48
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
YAY Daisy! So who found her?

Daisy was actually hiding in the owner's attic the whole time.

The brouhaha is about a different cat.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 1:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Yeyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. What a fabulously happy ending...Quote:

morganm wrote:
Mama and Kitty Reunited!!
Thank you to EVERYONE and especially YOU who went to the park at 2am calling Daisy, the push and strength you gave behind Animal Control was incredable and I don't believe I would have Daisy back if it wasn't for YOU!!!!!

She lost a little weight around the ribs, stinks to high heaven of Mackrel, its purring more than ever and asleep in the place she belongs - at the foot of my bed!!!

A happy ending! Please understand that its not over for me. What happend is an outrage and needs not be swept under the rug. I am taking measures to ensure that ACO will be treated as the law says appropriate and Animals lost can find saftey at a shelter EVERYTIME!!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you 1000 times!!!!

Posted on: 2009/3/5 1:38
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
YAY Daisy! So who found her?

Posted on: 2009/3/5 1:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/26 0:16
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to hear Daisy is back home! I hope she is the owner of a new collar with identification.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

morganm wrote:
Thank you to EVERYONE and especially YOU who went to the park at 2am calling Daisy, the push and strength you gave behind Animal Control was incredable and I don't believe I would have Daisy back if it wasn't for YOU!!!!!

She lost a little weight around the ribs, stinks to high heaven of Mackrel, its purring more than ever and asleep in the place she belongs - at the foot of my bed!!!

A happy ending! Please understand that its not over for me. What happend is an outrage and needs not be swept under the rug. I am taking measures to ensure that ACO will be treated as the law says appropriate and Animals lost can find saftey at a shelter EVERYTIME!!

YAY!!!! I'm so happy for you and your cat. It must be a stinky (no pun intended) feeling knowing that a lost pet is out there. I'm glad she is home and healthy. Good karma came your way and when it does..... you pass it on and just be there for the next stranger that needs a friend and a helping hand.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 0:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/5 16:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/5 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
You are right. It is a public mistrust. We believe "why" they did it is because they were taught to think cats were "wildlife".

It's as simple and uncomplicated as that. No kickbacks or job enrichment. Just plain old "wildlife". As they broke NJ laws and statutes in doing it.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This is not a cat issue to me, its far more important.
For me its the miscarriage of public trust and basic expectations, its about supervisors doing just that, SUPERVISING staff with checks and balances.

After calling animal control for the lost cat 'pick-up', what checks and balances were there to indicate where that animal was placed ? Was it at the shelter or vets ?

If cityhall doesn't have the basic 'c&b's' in place, what else are they not doing and what other short-cuts are they taking ? I believe that the officers were acting per verbal standing orders to dump cats - My question is why ?

If and that's a big if, animal control log all their call-outs to collect (how accurate can that be), what is the process of recording their outcomes - Do they match ?

I wonder if they had been dumping in LSP as well !

Posted on: 2009/3/4 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This is not a cat issue to me, its far more important.
For me its the miscarriage of public trust and basic expectations, its about supervisors doing just that, SUPERVISING staff with checks and balances.

After calling animal control for the lost cat 'pick-up', what checks and balances were there to indicate where that animal was placed ? Was it at the shelter or vets ?

If cityhall doesn't have the basic 'c&b's' in place, what else are they not doing and what other short-cuts are they taking ? I believe that the officers were acting per verbal standing orders to dump cats - My question is why ?

If and that's a big if, animal control log all their call-outs to collect (how accurate can that be), what is the process of recording their outcomes - Do they match ?

I wonder if they had been dumping in LSP as well !

Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
After 11 years of service and earns $33,000 a year. Volunteer work it sounds like to me.
I wounder what they have been doing with the dead animals they pick up. I seen them in my area picking up dead cats, possum & dogs.
I sure hope you find you cat!
Lets see this on the news next!

Yes, those are pauper wages, and often, you get what you pay for. Rescue/shelter and ACO's don't make much money and do it because they love animals. The only ACO who made very good money was the HCSPCA's ACO, but then again, he was stealing.

Good question about what is being done with dead animals. According to an ACO that I know outside of the city, carcasses are weighed and incinerated. The township is then billed.

In the case of the HCSPCA, some carcasses were thrown into dumpsters at construction sites and the staff kept the money. Finally, they just stopped dumping them and let them rot at the facility.

Several volunteers will be looking for Daisy and trapping cats this weekend at the park. Hopefully, we can find her and other domesticated cats that have been dumped.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
After 11 years of service and earns $33,000 a year. Volunteer work it sounds like to me.
I wounder what they have been doing with the dead animals they pick up. I seen them in my area picking up dead cats, possum & dogs.
I sure hope you find you cat!
Lets see this on the news next!

Posted on: 2009/3/4 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
...NJSPCA (New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals...)

The NJSPCA's last investigation in this county went something like this:

1. Evidence of cruelty was presented that showed abuse at the HCSPCA on Johnston Avenue in JC. Evidence included photos and sworn statements.

2. They sent an investigator who "pencil-whipped" his report after hugging and chewing the fat with HCSPCA staff. There was no inspection.

3. The NJSPCA was contacted again and volunteers talked to a superior officer in the organization. Evidence was presented again including evidence of misappropriation. Nothing was done again.

4. Volunteers contacted the city when the NJSPCA refused further action. Less than a week later, Joe Frank seized abused animals and cited the HCSPCA for filth and neglect.

5. Eventually the HCSPCA closed but not because of the inept and outdated NJSPCA. Outside legal counsel, determined volunteers and the Hudson Animal Advocates changed things.

CatnDogs is right. The city cannot investigate itself and the NJSPCA is a gun club for a few who "almost passed the police exam." I am certain that there are good people in their ranks but have yet to find one.

Joe Frank may have had his problems in the past, but he redeemed himself during the HCSPCA debacle. Regardless, it's time for new blood at the Division of Animal Control.

Daisy's suffering cannot be in vain.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY JOURNAL

DUMPING DAISY

Claims Animal Control left kitties in park
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

With a Downtown cat owner going public with allegations that Jersey City animal control officers released not one but at least two cats in Lincoln Park, Councilman Steven Fulop is calling for the City Council to investigate the Division of Animal Control to see how widespread the practice is.

"It is not only a matter of cruelty to the animals, it is also defrauding the public to hire someone to do one job and for them to do another," Fulop said.

Mercer Street resident Morgan Metius said that hours after animal control officers picked up her cat, Daisy, from a next-door neighbor and released it into Lincoln Park on Friday, her boyfriend, Kip McQueen, witnessed animal control officers releasing another cat in the same area while he was searching for Daisy.

Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Jersey City, said that releasing cats in public areas "is in no way a policy of the Jersey City Division of Animal Control" and that an internal investigation has been launched.

"This appears to be an isolated incident, but right now it is too premature to speculate," said Morrill, who said Department of Health and Human Services Director Harry Melendez and Joseph Frank, Jersey City's top animal control officer, are investigating the complaint.

"We are investigating all of the past calls handled by the two animal control officers who were involved in this intolerable act."

The two animal control officers identified by city officials as under investigation are John Ross Jr., who has 11 years of service and earns $33,000 a year, and his partner, Aaron Jordan, who has worked on the job for just over a year and earns $25,000.

Ross refused to comment yesterday and Jordan and Frank couldn't be reached.

Both officers have been removed from working in the field pending the outcome of the investigation, but they have been out looking for Daisy with their supervisor, Morrill said.

Metius said she noticed her cat missing Friday morning.

After contacting Liberty Humane Society, the shelter that serves Jersey City, she learned that Daisy had been picked up from a neighbor's home at around 8:15 a.m. the same day and released near Joseph J. Jaroschak Field in Lincoln Park.

Metius' neighbor, Oris Osorio, said Daisy wandered into her vestibule and ran up her stairs. She called Liberty Humane after 25 minutes of trying to capture the animal, but was told to contact Animal Control, which picked it up.

Around 2 p.m. Friday - the day Daisy went missing - Metius' boyfriend, McQueen, spotted two animal control officers pull up in a white van at the park and release a long-haired white cat while he was looking for his girlfriend's cat.

The men left a bowl of food for the cat, McQueen said.

The animal control officers should have taken the cats to the Liberty Humane Society, Morrill said. According to a shelter official, cats brought to the shelter are held until they can be found a home.

The search for Daisy is ongoing.

?2009 Jersey Journal
? 2009 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 11:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I still believe that these guys have been directed to 'dump' cats in Lincoln Park.
Beside the pet owners, the only people that would financially suffer would be the service providers who had won contracts to store and treat animals caught by animal control.
I would still like to know what kind of relationship does Frank and those service providers have - Is there any 'ill' thoughts or history between them ?

If I was one of the service providers, I'd sue the city via animal control for lost revenue.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 5:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tktk01 wrote it sounds like they were doing their job. Wrong as it may sound to many... they were probably following orders. There have been many times that I have been instructed in my job to do something that maybe should not be...but, when you have a superior giving orders it is tough to disobey!

I have to respectfully disagree...If you have job that requires you to uphold laws and you break the law because someone of authority or a coworker tells you to do this, you are (IMO) as equally wrong and deserve whatever repercussions that may happen.

There are so many laws that protect an employee under the Employee Protection Act ("CEPA"). There is no longer any excuses.

Each one of us that works for an employer with 10 or more employees have that huge EEOC poster hanging somewhere on the job site and as required by law displayed in a location for all employees to see. Depending on which State you work in the laws may vary...here is one of the laws for New Jersey.

The Conscientious Employee Protection Act ("CEPA"), also known as the "Whistleblower Act"

New Jersey law prohibits an employer from taking any retaliatory action against an employee because the employee does any of the following:

a: Discloses, or threatens to disclose, to a supervisor or to a public body an activity, policy, or practice of the employer or another employer, with whom there is a business relationship, that the employee reasonably believes is in violation of a law, or a rule or regulation issued under the law, or, in the case of an employee who is a licensed or certified health care professional, reasonably believes constitutes improper quality of patient care;

b: Provides information to, or testifies before, any public body conducting an investigation, hearing or inquiry into any violation of law, or a rule or regulation issued under the law by the employer or another employer, with whom there is a business relationship, or, in the case of an employee who is a licensed or certified health care professional, provides information to, or testifies before, any public body conducting an investigation, hearing or inquiry into quality of patient care; or

c: Objects to, or refuses to participate in, any activity, policy or practice which the employee reasonably believes:

1- is in violation of a law, or a rule or regulation issued under the law, or, if the employee is a licensed or certified health care professional, constitutes improper quality of patient care;

2- is fraudulent or criminal; or

3- is incompatible with a clear mandate of public policy concerning the public health, safety or welfare or protection of the environment. N.J.S.A. 34:19-3

Posted on: 2009/3/4 4:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/26 0:16
Group:
Registered Users
This is a sad situation for all involved, including the animal control guys. I hope for a happy ending for Daisy and her owner. I am sure that these guys did not intent harm on Daisy, it sounds like they were doing their job. Wrong as it may sound to many... they were probably following orders. There have been many times that I have been instructed in my job to do something that maybe should not be...but, when you have a superior giving orders it is tough to disobey! As a cat owner....I would hope that people think twice before not putting a collar w/ ID on your pets. Would Daisy be home today if she had a collar? We do not know. Is there problems within the animal control unit? It appears that is a possibility but I believe those problems have been created at a higher level.
Remember, You should Spay or Neuter your cats - help with the over population of stray cats.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, I was down by Lowes a few weeks ago & you know how many cats & kittens I saw "hanging out" down there. There was atleast 25, NO LIE. They were all kind of by them sheds & accross by the truck lot, it looks like a truck junkyard or repair spot.
I cant wait to read the Jersey Journal tomorrow!
Hope you find you cat.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal will be out with a story tomorrow.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 23:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/8 12:45
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for taking action. My cat just went missing last Thurs Night. I haven't had internet, so I hadn't seen this post. I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope both our kitties will find their way home.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 20:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/3 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone really believe that the 2 people who picked the cat up and dumped the cat acted on their own? My belief is this goes much higher up the line, starting with Joe Frank. Do you really think this was a one time event? Probably not since later that day they dropped something else off, supposely an oppssum. So now a wild creature is with a domestic cat. I was told numerous times that my nieces cat was feral because it was not wearing a collar. So anyone who owns a cat I suggest you buy a collar for your house cat right now!
So animal control drops off wild animals in a park, where homes are close by, where people jog, walk their dogs etc.... Just beware when you are walking in this park.
My hope is this does not die, I think of my dog and how heartbroken I would be.
The crazy thing is that I had called animal control 1/2 hr after I saw them pick something up from the neighbors. I did not know our cat was missing. If it did not take me 2 hrs to get them to admit that they dumped the cat we may have actually had a chance to find the cat. At this point and with this horrible weather the chances of finding daisy are slim....... I just want to make sure that this does not happen to any other animal lover. Please keep this alive so we can protect our furry friends because we are all they have as a voice.

Lorraine

Posted on: 2009/3/3 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
With all due respect, the City should NOT investigate itself. We need an independent investigation from outside of the City agencies. An outside audit is the only way this can truthfully be tracked and remediated.

Animal Control is part of the Health Dept run by Joe Castagna.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 11:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
You need to go above animal control, which dept oversees that unit? This is not just bad service, it is criminal and illegal. All those workers need to have legal action brought against them, and at the minimum fired. Have you tried to contact the hudson count prosecutors' office.

You guys have an excellent case, the OP boyfriend has the picture of the van, the neighbor has the exact details as an eyewitness.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 7:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sweets wrote:
I spoke to Joe Frank today and was told about how long the paperwork is for this - it would be nice if some nasty press was magically able to expedite that....

Sweets,

I understand the frustrations and I feel the same way. In this matter there are procedures that must be followed. Both in private and public sector they must follow HR policies, Dept of Labor Laws and possibly Union laws when it comes to an employee. In this case, the city must do an investigation which can lead to hearings, and possible charges against the employee.. The results of the prior steps are what leads to the disciplinary actions. Expediting is fine, but I do not want to see any i not dotted and any t not crossed that may let a guilty party off the hook especially if and when the guy(s) who did this lawyer up.

There is a personnel issue which the city has to deal with and there are also issues in this case that may involve violations of State laws and the NJSPCA (New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). These are all investigated by each individual agency and it may take some time.

City Council President Mariano Vega and Councilman Fulop are both fully involved and I do know the City Council President has formally called for a full investigation. I have very little doubt anyone is going to let this fall between the cracks.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I am reading these posts and writing from South Carolina. JC got a foot of snow and that cat is still missing? Truly criminal behavior on the part of Animal Control. Let me guess? Catch em', dump em' and catch em' again then dump em'? A continuing cycle to justify the employment of criminals? Disgusting.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 3:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/8 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
Just a small update - I have spoken with two reporters, one from the Hudson Reporter and one from the Jersey Journal. Hopefully this story will gain some attention and force our JC offices to take action quicker!

I spoke to Joe Frank today and was told about how long the paperwork is for this - it would be nice if some nasty press was magically able to expedite that....

Posted on: 2009/3/3 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
Aaron , ironically, is an ACI now (animal cruelty investigator).

john has to go. immediately. its the only way the dept can save face.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
it's good that you put up the photo of her.
why would someone assume that she's a
stray?
obviously she is well-fed and clean.
your neighbors should ask around before
having animals carted away.
(p.s. i'd like to have some of my
neighbors carted away!)

all of this make me so mad i could spit.
meanwhile, i'm keeping a lookout -- but i
doubt we'll find her down around Third,
where i am.
keep us posted as to how we could help.

i sincerely hope you get her back.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 17:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live near Lincoln Park, and would love to see a mass trapping of some of the lost and abandoned humans. Just go in and shake a box of McDonald's french fries. They'll be sure to come for that.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 16:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/8 0:22
Group:
Registered Users
Hi - when did this happen? I feed homeless kitties and I'll keep an eye out for Daisy. I hope she makes it home soon!

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:45

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017