Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: living well in a bad economy
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Layaway. Remember Layaway? Before we were flooded with credit? Far better option for many reasons....Stores should bring it back (unless it's still available, and I just didn't realize it).

Posted on: 2009/3/9 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
When you banana's turn put them in a zip lock bag and freeze. I save them and make Banana bread. Banana's that turn have more natural sugar content. Most of the recipe are things you have in the pantry. Walnuts are a bit pricey and there are allergies, so you can leave them out.

My yield is 4 loaves. If you want the recipe just let me know.

I freeze 3 loaves.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By the way Crazy_Chester is evil. We were here, on this tread , to share ways of saving money. It is not about being poor. We have money but saving money only helps us.

I dollar here and a dollar here is a lot. I love the way people on this thread have given suggestions.

Crazy_Chester just to let you know, the increase in food pantries are middle class white people. The shelves are going bare. That is not to assume you are Anglo-saxon

NY Times

And amid the million-dollar houses of Marin County in California, a pantry at the San Geronimo Valley Community Center last month changed its policy to allow people to stop by once a week instead of every other week, since there are so many new faces in line alongside the regulars. ?We?re seeing people who work at banks, for software firms, for marketing firms, and they?re all losing their jobs,? said Dave Cort, the executive director. ?Here we are in big, fancy Marin County, but we have people who are standing in line with their eyes wide open, thinking, ?Oh, my God, I can?t believe I?m here.? ?

I wish you would have shared new information rather than condemn people as poor. It is shameful that you believe you are above such problems.

I wish no ill but cross your fingers and knock on wood it should never happen to you.

Should you find yourself in a situation and a thread such as this is helpful, than it worked.

I hope you continue to make money and benefit. When you take the Path or MTA just look to the left and /or the right and reflect.

Hope all is well.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fletch

CH Martin is great. Good shout. I always believe if someone sees or knows my white Hanes Crew socks are imperfect, they are to damn close.

Fabco shoes is having their buy 1 get the next 1/2 price. Their prices are great.

Great if you have kids. It does not matter if the kids sizes are not the same. Just as long as you pay full price for the 1st pair ($25 being their high price) the 2nd pair is half.

The kids can pick out their own style so no home fighting LOL

Posted on: 2009/3/4 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I can say the following:

CH Martin on Newark Ave. had white Hanes Crew socks (6 pack) on sale today for $3.33. Wednesday March 4.

Although slightly imperfect. (and I've never had an issue yet)

Also, they had 3-pack of BVD knit boxer briefs (black and grey) for $4.99

Socks and underwear... why pay more than $5

Boxer briefs at the mall... up to $15 for one.

And that is how you save $$$$

Fletch

Posted on: 2009/3/4 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
No.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Christ, it must suck to be poor. So much work.

shut the #OOPS# up

Posted on: 2009/3/4 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Christ, it must suck to be poor. So much work.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
clothing:

i used to drive to Salvation Army stores in off locations. at one time i was going to New York state maybe once every few months to visit friends, and I would hit up the Sallies there. i would buy t-shirts for a dollar or less. I'm tall and quite thin, so the old style/cut t-shirts fit me much better.....which was mostly what they had. I still have every single one I bought from Sallies, some of them going on 7-8 years old (since I bought them, who knows how long the 1st owner had them) because they still look like the day I bought them. old, but good construction, along with fitting me better.

I distinctly remember buying a t-shirt there for 75 cents. best t-shirt I've ever had. I've fished in this thing, ran hundreds of miles in it, mountain biked for years wearing it......still wear it today, still fits and looks the same.

food:

get yourself a rice cooker. the initial investment costs you a bit, but in one year, you can save bundles. a good rice cooker will keep a batch of rice for 3-4 days. you can buy vegetables and meat, some simple sauces, and make your own dishes with rice. not to mention, eating good rice is much healthier and less fattening than bread, pasta or potatoes.

drinks:

go to BJ's, CostCo., whatever wholesale company you like, and buy your drinks in bulk. it's incredible how much money one can spend popping in and out of 7-11's and QuickCheck's all week and buying a soda here, a Sobe there. I don't drink coffee but I'm a soda drinker, so I started buying cases of soda and bringing them with me to work, and i cut my monthly beverage costs by about 70%.

entertainment:

play cards with friends. hell, even play for money. that's right, keep it interesting and gamble. with say 4 people, a fun night of Poker can be had with a 30 pack of your favorite cheap beer ($15-$18) and $10 each to gamble with. $14 each for a night of cards, laughs and if you want to drink to the point of drunkenness, you're entitled to at least 7 of the 30 beers. not to mention, if you are having luck on one particular night and you're winning, the night may not cost you anything at all

Posted on: 2009/3/4 9:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
If you're in McGinley Square or nearby, check out a really nice new thrift shop, Ed's Salvage Co. on Fairmount Ave. between Bergen and Monticello. In addition to clothing, they've got furniture and housewares like lamps, dishes, pillows and random dishes, art work, electronics and more. Really nice, cool vibe. DJ from the block spun for us the other evening.

i must check this out. i live right in the area too. i usually. take the trek to the salvation army in union city but i can never find what i'm looking for. i'm in the market for some black pants because i'm back to the food service industry in another week or so =/

Posted on: 2009/3/4 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
That Valley Girl soundtrack is now a Million Miles Away?

Posted on: 2009/3/3 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Thrift shopping. Amazing. The economy is causing people to downsize their living spaces which is stocking the thrift shops.

There are a few really nice ones downtown, "vintage" shops, focus on clothing mostly. You can get some really beautiful things at great prices!

Just can't wear second-hand clothes? You're not alone. Housewares and furniture can be a little easier to repurpose.

Downtown, there's the Salvation Army on Erie by the tunnel.

Uptown, there's a big Goodwill by Journal Square.

If you're in McGinley Square or nearby, check out a really nice new thrift shop, Ed's Salvage Co. on Fairmount Ave. between Bergen and Monticello. In addition to clothing, they've got furniture and housewares like lamps, dishes, pillows and random dishes, art work, electronics and more. Really nice, cool vibe. DJ from the block spun for us the other evening.

Ed is JC homegrown, and part of the proceeds go to amFAR (AIDS research) so give him some play. You're going to find something you like, for sure.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
What, you are not a hipster girl? i was so sure you had huge stashes of each.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I may have shared this before but if you are looking to unload video games, CDs or DVDs, try buybackmadness.com.

They won't take everything (I guess it's based on demand), but I got about $75 and finally got rid of a ton of old CDs.

Nooo, you got rid of all your bob dylan and beach boys cds? that's no good.....

Gross.

No.

But you might be interested to know that the CD with the highest trade-in value was the soundtrack to "Valley Girl," one of the greatest movies about teen culture ever made.

And the lowest? Moby's Play.

Go figure.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I may have shared this before but if you are looking to unload video games, CDs or DVDs, try buybackmadness.com.

They won't take everything (I guess it's based on demand), but I got about $75 and finally got rid of a ton of old CDs.

Nooo, you got rid of all your bob dylan and beach boys cds? that's no good.....

Gross.

No.

But you might be interested to know that the CD with the highest trade-in value was the soundtrack to "Valley Girl," one of the greatest movies about teen culture ever made.

And the lowest? Moby's Play.

Go figure.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
jennymayla wrote: I may have shared this before but if you are looking to unload video games, CDs or DVDs, try buybackmadness.com. They won't take everything (I guess it's based on demand), but I got about $75 and finally got rid of a ton of old CDs.
Nooo, you got rid of all your bob dylan and beach boys cds? that's no good..... ---------------------------------------- Some of the tips below are not purely saving money but also convinence factor. 1) Use skype over of land/voip phone. It's ~$5 a month, you get your own telephone #, unlimited nationwide calling, and 2cent min for any international calls. Just buy a $20 skype adaptor or a skype phone, then everything works just like a regular phone. The best thing is skype has so many nice features telephone do not. Note: you need a stable internet connection. 2) If you have a ps3 (who doesnt!), you can stream hulu wirelessly directly to ps3 to be watched on tv. The picture quality is outstanding, i watch it on my 100" projector screen and it still throws an excellent picture - 480p dvd quality. Between that and netflix for bluray hd movies, it eliminates the need for any cable. You need to buy the software "playon", it's one time 40 bucks. 3) I found homereserve.com to buy my sofa for my new apt. The price is cheap, quality is good/comfy and they ship in managable boxes. Best of all you can customize everything. As a guy, i am embarrassed to say spent almsot 1 hr on that site creating my own sofa. i could not tell the difference in term of comfy level on those sofa vs the 1000+ ones i had in the past. 4) Move to bayonne :P the rents here are so cheap, very nice 1br in a nice area and close to lightrail for <$1000!!! where can you find that in downtown!! 5) search fatwallet.com and live.com before buying anything big for deals and cashback. Dont like to save on food or daily supplies, they are just too much work and not worth it.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
When you shop online, often you can find coupons. Just google the Web site plus "coupons" and sometimes you get coupon codes to put on your order sheet.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cooking a home has been been the best savings for me and the old lady. It's fun and our relationship has actually grown stronger over these past few months. Not going out to the bars also helps the wallet and relationship too.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

philasurfer wrote:
Soup is a great suggestion. Get the crock pot fired up and start throwing stuff in!

The JC library system is actually quite good. The people who work there are great and it is free!

Combine all of the above by canceling your cable TV. I know it sounds blasphemous, but I'll give you several reasons why this is a good idea:

1. Comcast is awful
2. You can spend more time reading books from the JC library for free
3. You can spend more time cooking, thereby saving even more money
4. You would be amazed at how your desire to buy anything goes down when you are not subjecting yourself to a barrage of TV commercials. In other words, you won't want to buy as much crap.

But whatever you do, do NOT switch to DirecTV. The technicians are incompetent and you'll wait for weeks to have your service restored. (This will happen quite frequently due to winter winds) Apparently, they have no clue how to anchor cords to your building.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

philasurfer wrote:
Soup is a great suggestion. Get the crock pot fired up and start throwing stuff in!

The JC library system is actually quite good. The people who work there are great and it is free!

Combine all of the above by canceling your cable TV. I know it sounds blasphemous, but I'll give you several reasons why this is a good idea:

1. Comcast is awful
4. You would be amazed at how your desire to buy anything goes down when you are not subjecting yourself to a barrage of TV commercials. In other words, you won't want to buy as much crap.

I would cut out new shoes and maybe even food before I cut out TV.

I admire you. For real.

you can watch almost any show on hulu the day after it airs for free. for older re-runs, there's surfthechannel.com. movies - netflix or the $1 dvds at shoprite/a and p. sports? this ones tougher, but there are sites that stream sports for free (usually in chinese or another language). or watch big games at a bar or a friend's house. news - online.

i wouldnt be the first to drop cable tv but nowadays it's tons easier to drop it. if i had to choose one (internet or tv) to drop, id drop tv in a second

Posted on: 2009/3/2 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

philasurfer wrote:

1. Comcast is awful

I would cut out new shoes and maybe even food before I cut out TV.

I admire you. For real.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
A good way to save money on meals you prepare at home is to go vegetarian a couple nights a week. You can make a really nice, hearty chili with bulgar instead of meat - see Mark Bittman's recipe here: http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/bulgur_chili.html
Also good are meatless black bean burritos, tofu stir fry, etc. This might save people $10 or $15 a week, which doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/7 16:03
Group:
Registered Users

1. Comcast is awful

Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/22 22:16
From Jersey ave and 3rd St
Group:
Registered Users
2nd st deli/bakery is probably one of my most favorite things about living downtown. GREAT sandwiches. A large (yes, it's big) chicken parm sandwich is exactly $5.90. Beat that.

The only thing you want to do is not arrive at 12 PM. Because you'll wait in line.

All the police around here get their lunch there. I always thought that was neat.

If you haven't been there, just go. Really.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 20:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/3 18:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:

Also, for the money, you can't beat 2nd street deli. Best deal in JC.

Definitely a good call on Second St Bakery - amazing stuffed rolls for like $2. But make sure you bring cash, because they don't accept anything else.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
For the money, you can't beat 2nd street deli. Best deal in JC.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Despite not being in JC, Sushi Lounge in Hoboken has $20 pre-fixe menu on Mondays. This includes appetizers, TWO full sized sushi rolls and dessert. Also, if you are there between 4-7 the martinis are 1/2 priced.
Additionally, the Hoboken Shop Rite is sooooo much more pleasant then the one in JC. Their produce is better. Line at the deli and the checkout shorter. When you say "excuse me", a fellow shopper will actually move their cart over! I highly recommend getting your soup ingredients there to save up some dough.

minado in morris plains or little ferry. $18 all you can eat sushi buffet for lunch. kinda hard if you dont work near there during the week, but easy enough to get to on a sat or sunday.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, my friend does a book exchange at her work. Where each person lists the books he/she has and a book wish list. Then people can go through and exchange books with one another.

There are little rules, like use bookmarks -not dog ears, and a couple others.

Maybe jclist could have a book exchange?

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are a number of good Australian wines for around $10.

Two shiraz that immediately come to mind are:

Woop Woop Shiraz - average $11

Wishing Tree Shiraz - average $11

I can't remember if any of the local wine stores sell it, I usually pick it up in the city.

I know Jersey Wines didn't have them the last time I was there, but they do have a large selection so I'm sure you could find a similar one.

Also, I bring peanut butter and jam to work. It is amazing for much you can save by not buying lunch and coffee everyday.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Cook at home.

It can be a fun activity and brings the family together.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Despite not being in JC, Sushi Lounge in Hoboken has $20 pre-fixe menu on Mondays. This includes appetizers, TWO full sized sushi rolls and dessert. Also, if you are there between 4-7 the martinis are 1/2 priced.
Additionally, the Hoboken Shop Rite is sooooo much more pleasant then the one in JC. Their produce is better. Line at the deli and the checkout shorter. When you say "excuse me", a fellow shopper will actually move their cart over! I highly recommend getting your soup ingredients there to save up some dough.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 17:39

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017