Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Parikh Memorial Fund
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
No problem, Pink. I understand that donations are very welcome as I was told (but have not verified) that, in addition to these unexpected funeral costs, Mr. Parikh has two daughters in college, which as we all know, is very expensive.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 20:23

Re: Parikh Memorial Fund
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JenGreely wrote:
In the aftermath of the horrific murder of Mr. Kirik Parikh at his deli on Coles Street, several community organizations have come together to establish a memorial fund to assist the Parikh family with funeral and other family expenses. For those who are interested, below are two options for donating.

1. Checks can be made out to the Parikh Memorial Fund (with acct # 381012275788 written in the memo line) and dropped off or mailed to:

Bank of America
186 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302

2. Donations can also be submitted online via Paypal at www.paypal.com with payment directed to parikhfund@gmail.com (credit and debit cards accepted through Paypal).

Thanks, Jen

Posted on: 2009/1/29 20:21

Parikh Memorial Fund
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In the aftermath of the horrific murder of Mr. Kirik Parikh at his deli on Coles Street, several community organizations have come together to establish a memorial fund to assist the Parikh family with funeral and other family expenses. For those who are interested, below are two options for donating.

1. Checks can be made out to the Parikh Memorial Fund (with acct # 381012275788 written in the memo line) and dropped off or mailed to:

Bank of America
186 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302

2. Donations can also be submitted online via Paypal at www.paypal.com with payment directed to parikhfund@gmail.com (credit and debit cards accepted through Paypal).

Posted on: 2009/1/29 20:19

Re: Downtown: One dead in shooting on Coles Street in Jersey City this morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Suze wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

Suze wrote:
Perhaps if the person who committed this crime had access to good schools, a stable community, a stable home life, and opportunities to do things like go to college, this wouldn't have happened.

What country are you living in??? I know in this country everybody has access to good schools, a stable community and opportunities to do things like go to college.

It's the choices people make regarding that access that separates decent people from the murdering pieces of sh..

And no matter how bad things get in life for anybody it's still requires a conscious decision to pull a trigger on a gun. Society doesn't force your hand on that.

No, society does not force you to pull a trigger on a gun and commit a violent act. However, the environment in which you are raised contributes greatly to whether or not you end up doing it.

Furthermore, you're incorrect in your statement that everyone has the same access to good schools. Inner city schools are terrible. They're over-crowded, short on supplies, and children do not get the attention they need to prepare them for the rest of their lives.

If you think we're all equal in this country then you're ignorant. I hope it's not willingly so.

Ah, try it all starts at home and lets stop dumping on the schools and expect the teachers to act as the defacto parent/s !

If your raised in a shit enviroment(home) and by animals, than you'll turn out to be an animal, its basic 101.

Problem is that very few politicians are willing to address that issue cause it may hurt some feelings,well I'd rather have my feelings hurt than be preyed upon by some Animal who can't make a conscience decision between right & wrong !

This can be debated till kingdom come and fact remains the system Sucks and ain't noone going to do a damm thing to change it !

Posted on: 2009/1/29 19:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

Suze wrote:
Perhaps if the person who committed this crime had access to good schools, a stable community, a stable home life, and opportunities to do things like go to college, this wouldn't have happened.

What country are you living in??? I know in this country everybody has access to good schools, a stable community and opportunities to do things like go to college.

It's the choices people make regarding that access that separates decent people from the murdering pieces of sh..

And no matter how bad things get in life for anybody it's still requires a conscious decision to pull a trigger on a gun. Society doesn't force your hand on that.

No, society does not force you to pull a trigger on a gun and commit a violent act. However, the environment in which you are raised contributes greatly to whether or not you end up doing it.

Furthermore, you're incorrect in your statement that everyone has the same access to good schools. Inner city schools are terrible. They're over-crowded, short on supplies, and children do not get the attention they need to prepare them for the rest of their lives.

If you think we're all equal in this country then you're ignorant. I hope it's not willingly so.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 18:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/16 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Has any detailed information been released about what the suspect looks like? If, as Vigilante noted, a suspicious guy was seen hanging around the boxing gym after the murder then it would be useful to know more than just that the killer is black, tall and skinny. His wife was a witness and may be too distraught to remember details, but if we had more to be on the alert for it would help (approximate age? facial hair? short hair, dreds, etc?).

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
If Mr. Parikh had a right to keep a loaded .45 under his counter, he could have blown this punk's head off.

At least he would have a chance to do so, depending on the situation and his inclination.

But because NJ gun laws favor the criminal, all Mr. Parikh had at his disposal during the robbery was his courage and his pride.

That is no match against a thug with no conscience and a nine milla in his hand.

I blame the pathetic, corrupt, and totalitarian State of New Jersey for Mr. Parikh's loss of life.

These are sobering numbers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressR ... 7+11-Jun-2008+PRN20080611

Crime guns and gun deaths by the numbers

Rank of states with most and least crime guns traced to in-state gun dealers
and recovered in other states, and total number of crime guns traced to
in-state gun dealers and recovered in other states, in 2007:

Georgia - #1 - 2,631 crime guns
Florida - #2 - 2,328 crime guns
Texas - #3 - 2,281 crime guns

New Jersey - #48 - 35 crime guns
Rhode Island - #49 - 12 crime guns
Hawaii - #50 - 0 crime guns

Percent of 2007 crime guns recovered in-state sold by in-state gun dealers:

Georgia - 75.8%
Florida - 78.2%
Texas - 80.7%

Percent of 2007 crime guns recovered in-state sold by out-of-state gun
dealers:

New Jersey - 72.1%
Rhode Island - 46.1%
Hawaii - 54.7%

Gun death rate, per 100,000 population:

Georgia - 11.7 gun deaths
Florida - 10.3 gun deaths
Texas - 10.9 gun deaths

New Jersey - 5.0 gun deaths
Rhode Island - 3.6 gun deaths
Hawaii - 2.2 gun deaths

Vig - it depends on to whom you would give the guns. I bet that Georgia, Florida, and Texas are pretty lax with who gets the permit, hence the statistics.

In NJ, I'd give guns to those without a criminal record who can legitimately prove that they need them to protect their lives or property, and bodega owners should certainly qualify.

If the punks knew that the owner may be packing, they'd think twice about robbing him.

That is different than giving permits to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
If Mr. Parikh had a right to keep a loaded .45 under his counter, he could have blown this punk's head off.

At least he would have a chance to do so, depending on the situation and his inclination.

But because NJ gun laws favor the criminal, all Mr. Parikh had at his disposal during the robbery was his courage and his pride.

That is no match against a thug with no conscience and a nine milla in his hand.

I blame the pathetic, corrupt, and totalitarian State of New Jersey for Mr. Parikh's loss of life.

These are sobering numbers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressR ... 7+11-Jun-2008+PRN20080611

Crime guns and gun deaths by the numbers

Rank of states with most and least crime guns traced to in-state gun dealers
and recovered in other states, and total number of crime guns traced to
in-state gun dealers and recovered in other states, in 2007:

Georgia - #1 - 2,631 crime guns
Florida - #2 - 2,328 crime guns
Texas - #3 - 2,281 crime guns

New Jersey - #48 - 35 crime guns
Rhode Island - #49 - 12 crime guns
Hawaii - #50 - 0 crime guns

Percent of 2007 crime guns recovered in-state sold by in-state gun dealers:

Georgia - 75.8%
Florida - 78.2%
Texas - 80.7%

Percent of 2007 crime guns recovered in-state sold by out-of-state gun
dealers:

New Jersey - 72.1%
Rhode Island - 46.1%
Hawaii - 54.7%

Gun death rate, per 100,000 population:

Georgia - 11.7 gun deaths
Florida - 10.3 gun deaths
Texas - 10.9 gun deaths

New Jersey - 5.0 gun deaths
Rhode Island - 3.6 gun deaths
Hawaii - 2.2 gun deaths

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/29 15:12
Group:
Registered Users
I worked at the library around the corner from that shop for two years (I changed jobs just three months ago).

Usually, I would get lunch at Basic, but when I was low on cash, I'd go to Mr. Parikh's store for a sandwich. He always knew what I wanted (turkey and american, everything, no tomato). His wife would work the register, and I would occasionally see his daughters helping out too. He always said hello when I walked in, and thank you, have a nice day, when I left, even if it was packed with kids (which it usually was, if I went during one of McNair's lunch periods).

Politics aside, this is a tragedy. We've lost a truly sweet and genuine man to a horrible crime.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Suze wrote:
Perhaps if the person who commited this crime had access to good schools, a stable community, a stable home life, and opportunities to do things like go to college, this wouldn't have happened.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

Right on, theres a reason why people in Texas treat each other with respect and a smile, cuz their allowed to pack heat (legally)!

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
NABE VIGIL FOR VICTIM
Students and officials to remember

Thursday, January 29, 2009
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Mourners yesterday left flowers and candles in front of the Downtown Jersey City store where a well-liked shop owner was gunned down during a robbery Tuesday. A neighborhood group has also organized a vigil in his honor for tomorrow.

A large arrangement of flowers and candles in front of the Coles Street store where Kiritkumar Parikh, 57, of Van Winkle Avenue, was fatally shot was left there by students from McNair Academic High School, which is kitty-corner from the store.

"Thank you for your many years of kind service to our community," a note from the McNair students read. "Although no words can really help ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer."

The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association has organized a vigil for the slain grocery store owner to be held at the Hamilton Park gazebo at 7 p.m. tomorrow. Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy and Downtown Councilman Steve Fulop have been asked to speak.

Any neighbors or friends who wish to speak can also say a few words, the HPNA said in a press announcement. Fund information for donations to his family will be available at the vigil.

Fulop, council candidate Frank Scalcione, and mayoral candidate Dan Levin all said yesterday the murder is a sign that more cops need to be walking the beat.

Noting he's increased the ranks of police officers since he's taken office, Healy said he is working with Police Chief Tom Comey to put more police on the streets, in cruisers - and on bikes in the near future.

"This is a decent neighborhood, a nice place, and it was totally random," Healy said about Parikh's death. "I don't know how police could have prevented a crazy, vicious person with a handgun from carrying out this deed."

Email to a friend Send To A Friend Print this! Print This
Reddit Reddit Digg Digg del.icio.us del.icio.us Google Google Yahoo Yahoo Facebook Facebook

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

Your answer to gun violence is more guns?

Perhaps if the person who commited this crime had access to good schools, a stable community, a stable home life, and opportunities to do things like go to college, this wouldn't have happened.

I understand that I'm making assumptions and I understand that I'm being a bit of a pollyanna but I don't think these assumptions are too far off the mark.

The solution to violent crime and drug use isn't to have every man, woman, and child armed to the teeth. The solution to the problems that drive these kinds of violent crime is giving people the same opportunites in life regardless of socio-economic class.

Please do not misunderstand. I in no way think that any cirumstance excuses this horrible action but the resulting call to arms should not be for more guns, it should be for better schools and communities.

It's a tragedy for everyone involved and I feel for that family.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

xplanted wrote:
Is there an official neighborhood watch with people doing some driving around keeping an eye out with a radio to the police if they see anything amiss?

http://jclist.com/modules/piCal/index ... =View&event_id=0000008371

Here is an old link but it has the email etc. for the Neighborhood Watch.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I heard today that the suspect was possibly seen hanging out on 7th. St. close to the Boxing Gym after the murder.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll wander near a construction site.

That way one of the "off-duties" can phone it in.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/1/29 5:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/13 23:15
Group:
Registered Users
Is there an official neighborhood watch with people doing some driving around keeping an eye out with a radio to the police if they see anything amiss?

Posted on: 2009/1/29 5:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I heard today that the suspect was possibly seen hanging out on 7th. St. close to the Boxing Gym after the murder. The description is of a 6 ft. tall skinny Black male who looks very strung out. Obviously a desperate drug addict so Please be careful walking around the neighborhoods anytime of the day or night. If anyone hears anymore details please post them here.

Call the police. This is not the kind of thing that should be subject to message board assumptions, rumors or hearsay.

The info came from the Neighborhood Watch. The cops know all about it.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I heard today that the suspect was possibly seen hanging out on 7th. St. close to the Boxing Gym after the murder. The description is of a 6 ft. tall skinny Black male who looks very strung out. Obviously a desperate drug addict so Please be careful walking around the neighborhoods anytime of the day or night. If anyone hears anymore details please post them here.

Call the police. This is not the kind of thing that should be subject to message board assumptions, rumors or hearsay.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/1/29 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
tanze_des_lasters

I agree.

Although I reside in the downtown area I have friends that reside in the Journal Square area. If I am not mistaken, that section is still Jersey City. After living in Manhattan and Brooklyn, the last thing I wish to see is a "little Manhattan" here. Part of the reason living here is to escape all that. I work in Manhattan and cherish coming home to Jersey City.

I love the fact that the hotdog man on Barrow and Newark has been there for 30 years. He put his kids through school. I am tired of people who moved to a new city and decide what is best.

I agree we must work together but how many go to council and/or neighborhood meetings. Does it take a tragedy to bring us together?

If a voice is loud enough, it will be heard.

Some times it takes a death to bring something to life.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well said Brooklynboy...
Whether or not a person likes or dislikes Jersey City means nothing in regard to this horrendous murder of an innocent person. It doesn't matter where a person lives. Everyone has a right to be safe. What can we do to help find this person? How can we ensure a safer community for all residents of Jersey City?
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
tanze_des_lasters

I agree.

Although I reside in the downtown area I have friends that reside in the Journal Square area. If I am not mistaken, that section is still Jersey City. After living in Manhattan and Brooklyn, the last thing I wish to see is a "little Manhattan" here. Part of the reason living here is to escape all that. I work in Manhattan and cherish coming home to Jersey City.

I love the fact that the hotdog man on Barrow and Newark has been there for 30 years. He put his kids through school. I am tired of people who moved to a new city and decide what is best.

I agree we must work together but how many go to council and/or neighborhood meetings. Does it take a tragedy to bring us together?

Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
tanze_des_lasters

I agree.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I understand the immediate reaction that "we need more police." While that may be true, I don't see how that would have prevented this crime. How do you stop a random person from walking into any business and shooting someone? Unfortunately you can't. Perhaps a greater police presence would have increased the odds that this guy would be caught, but at that point the damage is already done. The most dangerous people out there are the ones who act out of desperation.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 21:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I mean no disrespect to the family and friends involved in this tragedy by going off-topic but the below comment must be addressed. Webmaster, please transfer if you feel it is appropriate.

Surely, you did not wish to insult those of us who do not reside downtown. That would simply be bad-mannered and ineffective in solving our urban issues. There will never be a total revitalization of this city with such an unconstructive approach. Although we reside in many neighborhoods, we are one community who should be working together without offending one another because of where we reside. Without a positive outlook and care for others who have chosen to live in Jersey City, your neighborhood will not be any better than what you perceive mine to be. You moan about ?gentrification? taking too long yet you drive away any critical mass from other areas by claiming downtown to be an island floating is a pool of ??.? thereby giving people the notion that they should stay as far away from certain areas of the city. Not only do we desperately need stronger ?new school? leadership in this city but citizens who view all of us as one.

Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
JC isn't gentrifying fast enough and we (downtown) are a little island floating in a pool of shit. Proximity to the city, diversity and other petty conveniences will never make it worth enough to stay here in the long run.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/30 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
JC isn't gentrifying fast enough and we (downtown) are a little island floating in a pool of s**t. Proximity to the city, diversity and other petty conveniences will never make it worth enough to stay here in the long run.

Because gentrification is so obviously the best, most desired form of urban development, of course.

Diversity - ha. When it's upper-middle class and welcoming of you. Otherwise, you blame, fear and misunderstand it.

And the low-life ignorant locals who ran this city into the ground were just begging for the yuppie invasion to come save them. (Obvious ironic tone- I am one of those locals.)

And, the new transplants, for the most part, who focus their considerable education, talents, incomes and organizing power towards the desires of their immediate community (parks, reservoirs, public schools in their area, dog runs), shouldn't be surprised when, as a previous poster said, "the chickens come home to roost."

Downtown made itself an island, and kicked out the natives to do it.

Some people do want to integrate into the community, and I hope they keep that spirit up. Earnest, open coalitions on both sides are welcome and will be what transforms this city.

Not clueless "Sixth Borough" parasites, vampires that want to use Jersey City as a cheap crash pad or a "hot nabe."

Posted on: 2009/1/28 19:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/30 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Ditto to PubliusIII hitting salient points on the head.

Thanks to those who posted info on the vigil. Student at McNair (where I teach) were also planning a vigil at the same time, so there will be a turnout, definitely, from the school community.

The students have posted a piece of oak tag in the hallway and students are writing messages to Mr. Parikh and his family. These are hard lessons for young people to learn, but Mr. Parikh's kindness and connection to the students is his legacy, and is perhaps the best character education they, all of us, could have received.

The students are collecting funds internally (the response has been tremendous) and will give the money to the family (some of our staff members were serving as interpreters between the Parikh family and police yesterday, so there is contact).

If you'd truly like to contribute and don't have any way to do it, if you send something (I'd say money order might be safe?) in care of Principal Edward Slattery 123 Coles St. JC NJ 07302 with an explanatory note, we can be sure to forward it.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
We love to brainstorm on preventive measures, blame Healy, lack of police force, the economy ...etc. This is understandable because most of us have a normally functioning brain. We have a problem so the natural thing to do is to come up with a cause and a solution. The fact is is that neither exist when you are dealing with a total imbeciles who have NOTHING to lose. JC isn't gentrifying fast enough and we (downtown) are a little island floating in a pool of shit. Proximity to the city, diversity and other petty conveniences will never make it worth enough to stay here in the long run.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 17:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please note that the attached press release is revised from the one sent earlier. It is important to note that MRS. PARIKH DID NOT SUSTAIN ANY INJURIES. We had incorrect information yesterday and deeply apologize for any confusion that this may have caused. We respectfully request that any erroneous press articles generated as a result be amended immediately. Below is a copy of the amended press release, which also includes additional vigil sponsorship information.

----------------------

* A M E N D E D * P R E S S R E L E A S E

12:00 noon January 28, 2009 ? For Immediate Release

Olu Howard, President

hpnajc@gmail.com

On January 27th 2009, the Hamilton Park neighborhood of Jersey City lost a vivacious community member to a violent and senseless criminal act. Mr. Kirik Parikh was shot and killed while doing what he did almost every morning ? pouring coffee and selling newspapers at their family-run deli. The Parikh's store at the corner of 7th and Coles Street was a welcoming place for not only the residents of this quiet brownstone neighborhood, but also for the students and staff of McNair High School, located just across the street. Unfortunately, this horrific act of violence comes on the tails of the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association (HPNA) making recent complaints to local police about increased criminal activity in the area and neighbor concerns regarding safety and police responsiveness.

In the wake of this awful tragedy, the HPNA invites the entire downtown community, neighbors, businesses, students and workers to gather together at a candlelight vigil in memory of Mr. Parikh. We will gather at the Hamilton Park gazebo on Friday, January 30th at 7pm. Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, Freeholder Eliu Rivera, and Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop are invited to speak, as well as any neighbors or friends who may have a few words to share. We will then walk to Mr. Parikh's store in remembrance of his fine character. He was a good neighbor to all of us and will be sorely missed. Fund information for donations to his family will be available at the vigil.

About the organizers: The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association was formed in 1977 to serve the interests and needs of the citizenry of Hamilton Park, including promoting a safe neighborhood. This vigil is being coordinated and supported by many area organizations, including the Downtown JC Watch, Harsimus Cove Association, Italian Village Association, Powerhouse Arts District Neighborhood Association, Van Vorst Park Association, Historic Paulus Hook Association, and Communipaw Block Association.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PubliusIII wrote:
When I lived on 7th Street from 2001 - 2004, my sons were little tykes and when we patronized the bodega, Mr. Parikh would always engage them and inevitably give them some extra treat. My son is now a freshman at McNair, and yes, is shaken by this. My condolences to the Parikh family and prayers for his soul. Requiscat in pacem.

One of my favorite books is Mr. Ive's Christmas which is a mediation about a father's coming to grips with the death of his son shot by a random thug in the Morningside Heights neighborhood where they live. The father is tormented, inter alia, by thoughts about whether he made a mistake staying in the City.

The apathy that allows Jersey City government to continue in the status quo is the big mistake. With all due respect to the captain above, Healy, despite his personal charm and admirable qualities, is too much a product of the system. Chief Comey after all was appointed even though it is completely public that he runs a private detective agency which viollated the Private Detective Act. What kind of message does this send to the troops.

The mantra of more cops is not the intelligent way to address this. Already Public Safety drains like half of the municipal budget. What is needed, above all is a more intelligent manner of deploying police power. The police department is also incredibly difficult to manage given that civil servants and cops have so many due process rights. Indeed, given what a cop can get away with, it is a credit to them how honorable most of them are.

The writer above who is spooked by reading The Tipping Point is right on. While this was a random act that could have happened anywhere, crime does rise in response to certain factors, above all, a perception of laxity in a community, a perception that disorder is the norm, a perception that there is no accountability.

I no longer live on 7th street having been priced out. I live in Lafayette. But, yes it is very shocking and disturbing when this happens at Hamilton Park. The violence in my Lafeyette neighborhood is largely targeted inwards- to family members, gang members, etc. (that is fodder for another post). Thankfully, bystanders are not routinely involved. However, when this type of brazen crime occurs, it is a sign that the reversal of the quality of life improvements that McCain and Schundler oversaw are coming home to roost.

Bravo, I take my hat off to your comments and no one could have conveyed the msg better than yrself.
Too bad your not running for office, this city could use someone with Intellegence for a change.

Bottom line, the local govt needs to change and when it comes to policing "The Chief" should be chosen in the same manner as other larger cities do and that is go outside the municipality, i.e. the best person for the Job should be picked by a non Gov't body or comitee VS the status quo, Political Hack system.

Whats trully sad is how the good people of JC accept this way of govt and same old Bizz and it only feeds into that old saying "Keep em fat &Stupid" and that my friend is what your mayor and his cronies have been doing for way too long!

Food for thought.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 16:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017