Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Downtown: One dead in shooting on Coles Street in Jersey City this morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone remember the scores of mountain bikes the JCPD bought in the not too long ago and officers would ride up and down the streets able to maneuver easily...It was a friendly presence and the lid was on not too long ago...and our present Mayor was not in office...where are those bikes today? They cost about $800 each and if there was one there were a couple hundred throughout the city...that's not a police state...that's doing a good job keeping us safe...so where's the bikes now?

Posted on: 2009/1/28 1:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/5 3:42
Group:
Banned
Don't worry...he is just upset that he didn't get to the breaking news first this time...and he doesn't want to spin it away from fear .

Anyway, in all honesty, it shouldn't matter the exact location of the shooting or the deli it took place at...but the fact that another small business owner in Jersey City...someone who was friendly to many, was killed in broad daylight. I am thankful that there were no school children around at this time, as they could have very easily been another target.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emdot wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
My son, a junior at McNair, said the owner remembered each time the way my son liked his sandwiches.

I read through this whole thread, but this one post got me the most. I really feel bad for this man's family, and for the kids who lives he has been a staple in for years. I just want to add something about the amount of cops around JC. I have been living here since August and maybe will see a cop car once a week in JC.
Now I know Newark has a higher crime-rate but I just want to state that the few times I have been in Newark for a few hours I have seen at least 3 or 4 cops, EVERYTIME.
I work in Paterson and will see 2-3 cops a day. These are just some things I have noticed since living here. The police presence in JC really is lacking.

I've lived here my entire life it's the way things are done here. It's different here then anywhere else in the state. Read 5 Finger Discount, then you will understand. It's like the Vatican.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
sure we can meet in the middle. i agree, more police is better.

sorry to hear cops don't show up for you. up in the heights, my wife and i had two years of calling the police 3 or 4 times a week because of scumbags on the block - and they always showed up. luckily for us!

can we also meet in the middle and agree that it is also SOCIETYs responsibility to teach these animals to act like responsibile members of society and not shoot people over disagreements and a few bucks

Yes I agree, but I also think it is SOCIETYs responsibility to harshly punish those animals who only understand how to be a thug. Education is important as is a no tolerance policy toward ignorant violent scumbags!!

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
sure we can meet in the middle. i agree, more police is better.

sorry to hear cops don't show up for you. up in the heights, my wife and i had two years of calling the police 3 or 4 times a week because of scumbags on the block - and they always showed up. luckily for us!

can we also meet in the middle and agree that it is also SOCIETYs responsibility to teach these animals to act like responsibile members of society and not shoot people over disagreements and a few bucks

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
and once this more police presence appears everywhere, you will all be screaming POLICE STATE POLICE STATE POLICE STATE.

responsibility starts at home. all the cops in the world don't matter if kids are being raised (or not being raised) to be animals.

Please Capn, I don't think Jersey City will ever get to the point of being called a police state. How about we meet somewhere in the middle...we need more cops and a bigger police presence. Maybe we can start with the police showing up when I call them on the phone, OK?

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
and once this more police presence appears everywhere, you will all be screaming POLICE STATE POLICE STATE POLICE STATE.

responsibility starts at home. all the cops in the world don't matter if kids are being raised (or not being raised) to be animals.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!

More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!More Police Presence!

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!MORE COPS!

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
My son, a junior at McNair, said the owner remembered each time the way my son liked his sandwiches.

I read through this whole thread, but this one post got me the most. I really feel bad for this man's family, and for the kids who lives he has been a staple in for years. I just want to add something about the amount of cops around JC. I have been living here since August and maybe will see a cop car once a week in JC.
Now I know Newark has a higher crime-rate but I just want to state that the few times I have been in Newark for a few hours I have seen at least 3 or 4 cops, EVERYTIME.
I work in Paterson and will see 2-3 cops a day. These are just some things I have noticed since living here. The police presence in JC really is lacking.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
you are exactly right philasurfer.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/7 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
I am always confused by the connection people try to make between the number of police or policing skill and a random murder. This is tragic, but I don't blame police, the mayor or anyone else beside the person who pulled the trigger.

The police can't be everywhere. If someone with a gun is willing to shoot someone in broad daylight, how can the police stop that?

For that reason we should be addressing the larger set of social conditions out of which this kind of crime arises. By that I mean improving schools, the economy, concentrated poverty, etc.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:17

Re: Next Meeting with Captain McDonough
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
I think its time to get rid of the old school way of thinking and bring everything up to date. First off criminals watch cops as much as cops watch criminals. This is a fact they arte no different than the terrorist that attack this country. They know how police respond, how many will repsond, where they can respond to faster. Don't you think they watch and see how often cops drive or walk by a particular nieghborhood. They aren't stupid.Creating a greater presence by putting more guys on foot is not the only answer, don't you think that at some point criminals are going to figure out that there are less radio cars on the street and figure out that all they have to do to get away is commit the crime using a car. What is the walking cop to do then if there are less police cars on the street and he has to run to the call. You certainly can't hire enough cops to put one on each block because your taxes will be so high that what it would cost you in property tax you could have bought ten houses.

The criminals aren't buying guns legally, and they aren't buying guns from legal owners either. I think the state needs to come up with stricter gun laws in reguards to people who commit crimes with guns must get a longer sentence, do away with the plea bargaining for crimes commited with guns. Mkae sentences longer and harder. Make it more difficult for them to get out of jail. Forget about how they were the model inmate and releasing them on good behavior ealy. Make them do the full sentence, so maybe when they get out someof them wil be too old to commit more crimes. Stop with the halfway houses, guess they aren't working because career criminals are still commiting new crimes. I must say I am all for the death penalty, why do we have guys sitting in jail with five and six life sentences or on death row for twenty years.

Even though I dont like our local Jersey City goverment most of what you want isnt possible with out the state or federal government stepping in. The illegal gun trade in this area is so profitable because we are so strict on legal gun ownership. Your right though the penalty for illegal gun possesion should go up even more so when used in a crime. It is hard to do away with the plea bargaining since they are mostly used for a few reasons, lack of evidence to convict, save money/resources on a trial and to move them through the system faster so they can move on to the next criminals. Most of the reason we have these violent criminals released so fast is over crowding and the war on drugs. If we didnt focus so much on the nonviolent drug offenders and more on the violence we would be able to give tougher sentences to the murders, rapist and stick up kids. I do think some of what you said should be done but I disagree with the death penalty.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
The criminals aren\'t buying guns legally, and they aren\'t buying guns from legal owners either. I think the state needs to come up with stricter gun laws in reguards to people who commit crimes with guns must get a longer sentence, do away with the plea bargaining for crimes commited with guns. Mkae sentences longer and harder. Make it more difficult for them to get out of jail. Forget about how they were the model inmate and releasing them on good behavior ealy. Make them do the full sentence, so maybe when they get out someof them wil be too old to commit more crimes. Stop with the halfway houses, guess they aren\'t working because career criminals are still commiting new crimes. I must say I am all for the death penalty, why do we have guys sitting in jail with five and six life sentences or on death row for twenty years.

What you may be referring to is a concentration camp jail such as the one used in Arizona run by Joe Arpaio he ran a tight ship. Even better in 1933 Germany the first concentration camp opened called Dachau mostly for political dissidents, communists, and all those who did not agree with those in charge. It served as an example and a good one at that. When these \"criminals\" were released the word spread to conform or be cast into the dungeon of pain.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
a) for all the Healy bashers, don't forget two things: a) he knows better than most the effects of senseless killings as his father, a local merchant, was killed when Healy was a boy.

and

b) there are more cops on the street since Healy took office. are there enough? no, there will never be enough. why don't you quit your money-making gig and try and be cop?

and

c) is this so tragic because it happened in downtown? 99% of you don't give a sh*t if someone is assaulted/shot/killed in other neighborhoods (Greenville).

and

d) if you "law abiding" citizen can't even get thru life without problems of unleashed dogs and parking illegally, how can you expect the police to be able to manage the amount of crime in our city?

and

e) God (or whomever they pray to, if they pray) help that family. To hell with the family of the guy who shot the clerk. Responsibility starts at home.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I bet you Healy is going to come out saying that we need more gun control and is going to make it harder for people like this victim to defend themselves. He will not mention the fact that the judicial system in the state is ridiculous and that money that should be going in to hire more cops is being diverted into the politicians such as himself. We need to end giving criminals such light sentences and bring back the death penalty (they said it doesn't work, but how can it work when you don't use it?), and put more cops on the streets.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:51
ಠ_ಠ

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/24 16:46
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live across the street from this bodega, and I say sincerely that Mr. Parikh was the nicest, kindest man in town. He and his family worked at that store from 7am in the morning until 8pm at night every day of the week. I'm horrified and furious that someone who was so kind and worked so hard could be murdered in cold blood in broad daylight in our city, and I grieve terribly for him and his family.

Someone else wrote another short profile of Kenny from nj.com that shows how well-liked he was in our neighborhood....

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... in_shooting_on_coles.html
Posted by mitram on 01/27/09 at 12:39PM
I am a McNair Academic Alumni. I used to walk in the store and be greeted by the store owner everyday the same way. He used to say, "Ramlakhan!" with a huge smile on his face every time I walked in. He would know exactly what i came for; a Coconut Water (from Foco). He would always say thank you after the purchase and even sometime we would engage in mini conversations. He was open even to the latest hours when school was way past done and rarely any customers would come by. He worked and showed dedication to his customers and to his job. He was always positive and always asked if someone would need help. Its just ridiculous to see that such a man who worked so hard for his community and for his family is just taken off the earth with just a bullet or two. We need more people like him and the number of sincere beings such as this man is just constantly decreasing. In retrospect, i will miss this guy very much; may God not only seek justice, but guide him on the rest of his journey.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not quite the answer. The store owner who died today and the bodega clerk who died last week won't have any tomorrows. What must be done should have been done many yesterdays ago. The politicians are in a boozefog state of mind thinking only of themselves.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's natural to have a bit of a lashing out at the city administration, the police, whatever.

Maybe some of it is deserved, maybe it isn't. But a family lost their dad & husband today, and while I strongly doubt they'll be here any time soon to check the old JCList, if they did this sort of bickering back and forth is going to seem awful petty.

The man died not 8 hours ago. If you want to advocate against a candidate or the police chief, pick a better venue, guys, or at least make another thread.

Say a prayer for them tonight, then say a prayer for the killer's soul under the assumption he has one. What to do about city government & cops at constructions sites, if anything, will still be there tomorrow.

GWB

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if any of you remember last week or so when the girl was shot in the face by her boyfriend and then he and a friend of his went to the hospital to see her. The guy he was with had multiple charges on him including weapons offenses and has gone to prison for it yet he was out on the streets and was caught with another gun. So much for the criminal justice system, I can't wait to hear about the guy who commited this crime, how many times in the past has he been arrested and if he ever had a gun before.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
I think its time to get rid of the old school way of thinking and bring everything up to date. First off criminals watch cops as much as cops watch criminals. This is a fact they arte no different than the terrorist that attack this country. They know how police respond, how many will repsond, where they can respond to faster. Don't you think they watch and see how often cops drive or walk by a particular nieghborhood. They aren't stupid.Creating a greater presence by putting more guys on foot is not the only answer, don't you think that at some point criminals are going to figure out that there are less radio cars on the street and figure out that all they have to do to get away is commit the crime using a car. What is the walking cop to do then if there are less police cars on the street and he has to run to the call. You certainly can't hire enough cops to put one on each block because your taxes will be so high that what it would cost you in property tax you could have bought ten houses.

The criminals aren't buying guns legally, and they aren't buying guns from legal owners either. I think the state needs to come up with stricter gun laws in reguards to people who commit crimes with guns must get a longer sentence, do away with the plea bargaining for crimes commited with guns. Mkae sentences longer and harder. Make it more difficult for them to get out of jail. Forget about how they were the model inmate and releasing them on good behavior ealy. Make them do the full sentence, so maybe when they get out someof them wil be too old to commit more crimes. Stop with the halfway houses, guess they aren't working because career criminals are still commiting new crimes. I must say I am all for the death penalty, why do we have guys sitting in jail with five and six life sentences or on death row for twenty years.

I agree, lets reform the criminal justice system, get rid of the plea bargan for violent offenders, and its obvious the 3 strike criteria isn't working either!
Problem is the states aren't willing to make some tough decisions which may include bldging more prisons, lets face it the population of lowlifes is huge and growing!

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I'm missing something about the "off duty cops" discussion.

If they're off duty, they're off duty. Whether they're making money at a construction site or sitting at home or at the track, they're off duty, right?

Or are you saying that police officers who are scheduled to work an 8-4 shift are actually protecting construction sites while they're on duty?

I agree. If there was no construction going on, we still would still have the same pitifully few cops on patrol.

The issue is that JC has way to few cops for its size and level of crime. It is true that Newark has double the amount of cops.

And the answer is not to protest that there is no police presence downtown. The truth is that there is no police presence anywhere in this city. All of the neighborhood associations, business owners, store owners, etc. need to come together and demand an adequate number of police citywide. If Healy doesn't hire more, he should not get the vote of a single citizen in this city. I'm sick of this nonsense.

Probably the only two agencies that have more than adequate or enough man power are the Parking Authority and the tax dept. Every city should have enough enforcement to equate it's geographical size. But then again you can't monitor every situation.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:15

Downtown: One dead in shooting on Coles Street in Jersey City this morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
The store is across the street from McNair Academic High School. The inexpensive sandwiches and 25 cent chips makes it popular with the students. Not only is this a tragedy for the family of the victim, but these kids will be traumatized as well.

I thought the same thing, they have been there as long as I lived here and were always very kind to everyone in the neighborhood, especially the school kids. This is just heartbreaking. My prayers go out to his wife and family.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So if they're off duty and they're home, you don't have a complaint? Or off duty and moonlighting in Hoboken, not an issue?

I guess I thought that if they're off duty but in JC in uniform they give the appearance of a greater police presences, which is actually a good thing.

oh well.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

If they're off duty, they're off duty. Whether they're making money at a construction site or sitting at home or at the track, they're off duty, right?

Or are you saying that police officers who are scheduled to work an 8-4 shift are actually protecting construction sites while they're on duty?

I agree. If there was no construction going on, we still would still have the same pitifully few cops on patrol.

The issue is that JC has way to few cops for its size and level of crime. It is true that Newark has double the amount of cops.

And the answer is not to protest that there is no police presence downtown. The truth is that there is no police presence anywhere in this city. All of the neighborhood associations, business owners, store owners, etc. need to come together and demand an adequate number of police citywide. If Healy doesn't hire more, he should not get the vote of a single citizen in this city. I'm sick of this nonsense.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

I'm no expert on what is required from JCPD when they take these moonlighting gigs, but if you're wearing the uniform, my opinion is that you have a duty to enforce the law, should you see it broken.

I walk home from work everyday by 77 Hudson and they sometimes have a cop stationed there directing traffic or overseeing god knows what. I've almost been run over crossing the street by people running red lights there or speeding, or whatever else... On occasion, I'll give the cop a look saying "what the f*ck" and he won't do a damn thing. So i can understand the frustration if there were cops nearby doing far less pressing things rather than responding to criminal activity. (although it doesn't sound like the cop was that close...)

Sad thing is, with this economy the way it is and tax receipts going down, I wouldn't expect much of an expansion in city services. More likely they'll have to make budget cuts due to dwindling tax money...

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A police officer is a police officer twenty four hours a day. When he puts on a uniform and wears his gun the presumption is that he will protect the citizen. When the police officer is working an "off duty" job he is paid by a construction company, a utility or a private citizen. That police officer is not too willing to leave that spot to assist you in your time of need. Does'nt make them good or bad...it's the way it is. When people see mucho cops at job sites and none on patrol something's wrong. No need for these jobs. Putting in that extra "off duty" job and then driving home way out of Jersey City does'nt make that P.O. more efficient to serve the public. If the police work these off duty jobs let them wear civilian clothes and not their uniforms misleading the public that there are many cops out there. The police and its brass are on the "clock" at these community meetings so they'll listen to you complain 'til midnite. Good night and Good Luck!

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So then the issue is moonlighting - period - not the fact that it's 10 blocks away at a construction site?

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:49

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017