Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Downtown: One dead in shooting on Coles Street in Jersey City this morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
I hear people say all the time that in Manhattan there is a cop on every corner, and in Manhattan the police are there in seconds. We'll guess what people in New York City Police Dept. there are about 37,000 cops, Jersey City has less than 900. Now I know what you are about to say New York is bigger and the five boroughs are included. You are correct but Manhattan itself is probably about four times bigger than Jersey City, even if one fifth of those officers covered Manhattan, the number is probably higher, you still have almost more than double the amount of cops on the street if we were the same size. So the answer is we need more cops, and apparently better pay because if the pay was better they wouldn't have to work the off duty to supplement thier income.

So we have 3/4 the force per capita of NYC. A more interesting comparison is to Newark, which is a much poorer city but has twice the force we do. You also can't just look at raw numbers, you need to look at deployment %, which, at least at neighborhood meetings, is a closely guarded secret. If it's anything like the JCFD, with 1 chief or higher for every 4 firefighters, there's not many cops actually on the streets.

The off duty issue is not entirely a red herring. You can't tell me a cop who has worked a construction shift after his tour is as sharp at his job as one who has gone home and relaxed.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:47

Re: Next Meeting with Captain McDonough
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Getting rid of the top of the food chain (Healy) is a good place to start to make sure we don't reach that tipping point.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Tonight at Middle School #4, 7 pm

Unfortunately, that's usually a conversation stopper on this site.

I have gone to these meetings in the past. All the cops did was j*** off the people there. I remember one of them advising us not to leave our outdoor furniture near our backyard fences. Criminals could use them to jump into your yard! Really? What is this Montclair? It was always the same canned answers.

Most of these guys live down the shore and in their hearts can't understand why anyone who had a choice would live in JC. (same goes for my mother in law) Therefore interactions often start with a basic view of contempt for the JC resident who expects protection from criminals. Some (not all) of these guys feel in JC like a Marine in Bagdad.

When Cpt. McDonough said that the off duty officer had done his duty by simply radioing in a reported car theft in progress a block away, he was telling us "you'll get what we give you."

I just finished reading "The Tipping Point", which had a section on the dramatic "broken windows" effect on crime of enforcing quality of life crimes and small misdemeanors. I hope we're not slipping off the back end of the crime tipping point here, where reactive rather than proactive policing gives criminals a sense of impunity.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Just out of curiousity Shadow, what does police off duty work have to do with the fact that this man was killed. If you saw three Jersey City cops on the corner of Newark and Jersey at the time of the shooting, what could they have done? That is no where near Coles and 7th St. From that distance in a traffic congested city I don't even think you could have heard the shots, maybe if it was 2 a.m. nut at 9 a.m. probably not.

I hear people say all the time that in Manhattan there is a cop on every corner, and in Manhattan the police are there in seconds. We'll guess what people in New York City Police Dept. there are about 37,000 cops, Jersey City has less than 900. Now I know what you are about to say New York is bigger and the five boroughs are included. You are correct but Manhattan itself is probably about four times bigger than Jersey City, even if one fifth of those officers covered Manhattan, the number is probably higher, you still have almost more than double the amount of cops on the street if we were the same size. So the answer is we need more cops, and apparently better pay because if the pay was better they wouldn't have to work the off duty to supplement thier income.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
The "off duty" job for the JCPD has come to symbolize all that is wrong with the way police are deployed in Jersey City. These lucrative jobs are the platinum parachutes of the P.O.'s pension. The population of Jersey City is growing daily but our city services are shrinking. Look at the new highrises, commercial and residential...figure out the units and you will see how much more we need to be protected. The off duty jobs should be eliminated immediately save for the most perilous instance. There were three off duty cops standing around Newark & Jersey at 10 AM. This is nuts.
This was the time the storeowner was killed. Healy and his administration as well the politicized hierarchy of the JCPD must be held accountable. When Healy announced for reelection last week he had the JCPD, Fire Department and the Parking Authority there in force. That's proof of the political influence on these departments. Healy's rah-rah commercials are total crap in light of what is happening in all areas of this city daily.

I've been preaching this for some years now - ever since the construction explosion on the waterfront.

Healy and the current Police hierarchy needs to be removed - We need to recruit a new Police Chief from outside JC and NJ who can then employ district commanders from outside the State to support him or her. A national or international recruitment drive should commence now to see who can help.

Healy and the current and past administration / mayors should all get the ass and never allowed to hold office. We need new blood, new ideas, new ethical standards, new accountabilities - I'd like a mayor and administration that if anything LISTENS to the people they represent.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm missing something about the "off duty cops" discussion.

If they're off duty, they're off duty. Whether they're making money at a construction site or sitting at home or at the track, they're off duty, right?

Or are you saying that police officers who are scheduled to work an 8-4 shift are actually protecting construction sites while they're on duty?

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Look at what we are paying in Taxes - it is ungodly - and what are we getting?

You know taxes revs have gone up, yet everything stays the same. I am not clear on what we are paying for. Where is the city's P&L??

We flat out need to clean house - start out fresh in this state.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a CBS news video

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/store.owner.bodega.2.918823.html

A woman interviewed said it wasn't a robbery -- that the killer asked the owner/clerk about Orange juice and when the owner reached for the juice up for the juice in the fridge he was shot. Not sure how she knows all that -- or if it is true -- also the news segment said the owner's wife was also in the store at the time -- so the police do have at least one witness. Video also said the police are looking at video from McNair...

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

I have gone to these meetings in the past. All the cops did was j*** off the people there. I remember one of them advising us not to leave our outdoor furniture near our backyard fences. Criminals could use them to jump into your yard! Really? What is this Montclair? It was always the same canned answers.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
The "off duty" job for the JCPD has come to symbolize all that is wrong with the way police are deployed in Jersey City. These lucrative jobs are the platinum parachutes of the P.O.'s pension. The population of Jersey City is growing daily but our city services are shrinking. Look at the new highrises, commercial and residential...figure out the units and you will see how much more we need to be protected. The off duty jobs should be eliminated immediately save for the most perilous instance. There were three off duty cops standing around Newark & Jersey at 10 AM. This is nuts.
This was the time the storeowner was killed. Healy and his administration as well the politicized hierarchy of the JCPD must be held accountable. When Healy announced for reelection last week he had the JCPD, Fire Department and the Parking Authority there in force. That's proof of the political influence on these departments. Healy's rah-rah commercials are total crap in light of what is happening in all areas of this city daily.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I can't see why the JCPD doesn't invest some time and or money to help small business owners - they are soft targets for ass-wipes looking for quick cash for their next drug hit.

Wouldn't it be smart for store owner to remove all the crap advertising from their windows so it is easy for everyone from the street to look in and have their cash register near the windows also ? Even bright lighting in the store could help.

Doing this might give the impression to an ass-wipe that they could be seen from outside the store as well - not a private hold-up.
Store clerks would have the passing traffic able to see them.

Store owners and their clerks especially are at risk for not providing the 'duty of care' to help deter ass-wipes.

Cops need to educate store owners on safety.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 20:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The JCPD tells us that the uniformed construction security moonlighting policy provides more police on the streets at no public expense, yet when a crime is in progress, Audi theft thread, you can do just as well to call it in on your cell.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Yes, it seems that the uniformed cop is intent on directing traffic for construction companies (a requirement) and racking in that extra dough. The cops should swing by that park on Wayne St. a few times a day if it is still a drug haven. Just send a squad car, check ID's and move these people along. It's not like they don't know they are there! I mean how f***ing hard is it to do routine police work?

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:45

Next Meeting with Captain McDonough
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Once again it seems that downtown is at a loss for lack of police walking the beat. I saw at least 3 police officers right near where Coles, Newark Ave and 1st Street all intersect at 9:10 AM. They were watching traffic going around road work being done in front of that new construction on the south side of Newark Ave.

I always see police around construction sites or the PATH stations but rarely walking the streets of downtown. Whatever happened to the police presence on Wayne Street after the drug bust a few months back? I'm pretty sure that has ended and my guess is that park will be back in its usual derelict shape come warmer weather. This needs to change if this type of crime is ever going to stop...

I would question these procedures at the next community meeting. Do they still have a police beat ? If so how many, and where are the tours of duty for those on the beat ? If not...why ask why. President Obama is creating a no secret Washington DC, everything out in the open. The least J.C. can do is communicate to it's residents.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Once again it seems that downtown is at a loss for lack of police walking the beat. I saw at least 3 police officers right near where Coles, Newark Ave and 1st Street all intersect at 9:10 AM. They were watching traffic going around road work being done in front of that new construction on the south side of Newark Ave.

I always see police around construction sites or the PATH stations but rarely walking the streets of downtown. Whatever happened to the police presence on Wayne Street after the drug bust a few months back? I'm pretty sure that has ended and my guess is that park will be back in its usual derelict shape come warmer weather. This needs to change if this type of crime is ever going to stop...

Yes, it seems that the uniformed cop is intent on directing traffic for construction companies (a requirement) and racking in that extra dough. The cops should swing by that park on Wayne St. a few times a day if it is still a drug haven. Just send a squad car, check ID's and move these people along. It's not like they don't know they are there! I mean how f***ing hard is it to do routine police work?

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
This is such a horrible and sad story.

The safety issue here should be of
concern to everyone. Most of my
neighbors have their heads in the
sand and like to tell themselves
that they are living in Gramercy Park
west of the Hudson. It is this mood of wilfull
denial of reality that puts us all at peril.

Everyone should be careful. I come
home nights at ten o'clock or later
and have started taking a cab from
Grove St. rather than walk Erie or
Jersey. Too spooky after dark.

Shopkeepers are always in danger.
It is a deep shame that this senseless
loss of life had to happen.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You have my vote on that.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MYBEAT wrote:
The criminal court system in the US is in desperate need of
reform and that also goes for some of the laws on the books.

anyone want to wager that the lowlife that commited this act has a rap sheet a mile long?? how is it that these thugs are allowed to roam the streets and prey on innocent hard working people like this gentleman who lost his life today?

Someone needs to get in front of the state legistlature and ask them just how many more people like this merchant and others like him have to loose their lives because of an antiquated legal system???

Its enough to make one want to leave this city and for that matter the state !

We could start by decriminalizing pot. It would be good if we had a program for 17 to 22 year old non-violent offenders of either they go to Jail or they join the Military. They should isolate prisoners so that prison is no longer used as a crime school. I would like to see prisoners who would eventually be released given real training toward a trade. Drug and Alcohol rehabilitation is also key if someone is going to be out on the street again. A gun crime should equal life imprisonment. Of course we could always send them to some island....

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's the state - NJ has more issues than any other state in the union.

I continue to reflect on what we can do as a community to help prevent this from happening again.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Don't say you hate thugs because the moderator might remove your posting as he/she did when I tried to find out about getting sometype of ballot initiative going that would put thugs behind bars for a MINIMUM of 20 years for the 1st act.

Definition of Thug via wiktionary - A criminal who treats others violently and roughly.

Thanks for the warning but the moderator has no grounds, i repeat, i hate thugs.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
The criminal court system in the US is in desperate need of
reform and that also goes for some of the laws on the books.

anyone want to wager that the lowlife that commited this act has a rap sheet a mile long?? how is it that these thugs are allowed to roam the streets and prey on innocent hard working people like this gentleman who lost his life today?

Someone needs to get in front of the state legistlature and ask them just how many more people like this merchant and others like him have to loose their lives because of an antiquated legal system???

Its enough to make one want to leave this city and for that matter the state !

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The store is across the street from McNair Academic High School. The inexpensive sandwiches and 25 cent chips makes it popular with the students. Not only is this a tragedy for the family of the victim, but these kids will be traumatized as well.

Let's hope they catch the killer. I wouldn't be surprised if they're from outside of the area - such as Newark.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Never been to that store, but this is really crazy. In broad daylight, on a busy street, across from a high school in downtown? Can't imagine what his family is going through right now.

Pray for him and his family and curse the souls of the people who did this.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Don't say you hate thugs because the moderator might remove your posting as he/she did when I tried to find out about getting sometype of ballot initiative going that would put thugs behind bars for a MINIMUM of 20 years for the 1st act.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I hate thugs

Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the Channel 7 video (click link):

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6626934

Here is the Jersey Journal:

Store owner killed in robbery ID'd; 'he looked out for everybody,' shocked neighbor says

by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Tuesday January 27, 2009, 12:10 PM

Resized Image
Detectives investigate a fatal shooting at 120 Coles Street in Jersey City.

Family members have identified the Coles Street deli owner who was shot to death this morning as Kirik Parikh.

Residents in the Downtown neighborhood have expressed shock at his death, which was apparently during a robbery, authorities said.

A source close to the investigation, who did not want to be named since he is not authorized to comment on the case, said Parikh was shot in the left side of the head with a semi-automatic gun at about 9:45 this morning.

At about noon, staff from the Regional Medical Examiner's Office in Newark arrived at the storelocated at 120 Coles Street, and went inside with a stretcher.

Robin Daniels said she was in the Laundromat across the street when the shooting occurred.

"He was a neighborhood guy," Daniels said. "He looked out for everybody. It's just shocking. He was the kind of guy that when you bought a lottery tickey he said 'good luck.'"

Zoima Moya said she rushed to the scene when she heard Parikh was shot; and was in the Laundromat when Parikh's family was brought in from the cold.

members of the victim console each other outside the deli where owner Kirik Parikh was shot.

"They were crying and upset," Moya said. "My sister called me and told me what happened and I came here because I know him from the neighborhood. This is very upsetting because this is a nice man, a nice family."

Jose Roman, another neighbor, said "I'm shocked. He had a robbery just a couple of years ago."

Resized Image
People inside a laundromat across the street from the deli watch as police investigate the crime scene.

Resized Image
Family members of the victim console each other outside the deli where owner Kirik Parikh was shot.

http://blog.nj.com

Posted on: 2009/1/27 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I live 1/2 block away. This is crazy. The murder is an abomination but even a robbery makes no sense. Why rob a tiny convenience store in broad daylight in the morning when the register is at it's lowest? Could it be some thug felt "dissed" by the owner and returned to show him what a "man" he was?

http://www.ncjrs.gov/nij/adam/ADAM2003.pdf

As you will see from the above data most criminals are high or tweaking on something when they commit their crime. I doubt there is much of a sophisticated thought process going on here.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 17:42

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017