Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 »

Re: Unleashed Mastiffs Attack JC Man Downtown this Morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Which two tiny parks are you speaking of?

I know of at least five in JC two of which are very big.

Lincoln Park is huge.... and their dog run is all the way in the back across a bridge... so what math are you doing?

As far as crap and piss on the sidewalk... ok I give you the crap part... clean up your crap! but piss?? I mean I dont allow my dog to pee in the middle of a sidewalk most dogs wont... but what should we carry a bottle of cleaner with us and spray the sidewalk while were at it? Dont just blame dogs for piss and feces in the water system thats the least of your worries... what about stray cats, birds, raccoons, possums, HOMELESS people....

your post was ignorant to say the least... and quite

HYSTERICAL!

Posted on: 2009/1/21 18:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/7 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
NikkinNJ wrote: Clearly you have a problem with dogs...bottom line is people just need to act right.

Can we look at this from the perspective of a non dog owner for just one second?

So that dog owners can have the amusement of a dog, (I exclude the case of seeing eye dogs or working dogs that serve an actual purpose) I have to deal with (1) shit and piss on sidewalks, which ultimately ends up in our rivers and streams, (2) much of the already scarce park space being reserved for or taken over by dogs, and (3) the risk, albeit small, of being attacked by someone's dog. Is that fair to me, the non dog owner? I mean seriously, there are two tiny parks for tens of thousands of people in all of downtown JC, and we dedicate a quarter of one of them to dogs?

I don't dislike dogs, I am just resisting their take over of the universe. Someone has to represent non dog owners because dog owners do a superb job of representing their interests. (for example, calling anyone who describes dog attacks for what theyare is being hysterical. It must be a rather hysterical experience to be attacked by two massive dogs outside your home, don't ya think?)

This idea that people need to act right, I mean, that is a wonderful thought, but that is your solution to dog bites? People need to act right? You are going to tell the victim of dog bites, well...we are encouraging people to act right?

I guess you could say "Despite thousands of years of evidence to the contrary, eventually people will stop being irresponsible, reckless, or careless and our new policy of telling people to act right is going to work!"

Posted on: 2009/1/21 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Which building does she live in? Most condos and apartments have weight restrictions on dogs.

According to their website, the Hudson Point at 131 Dudley Street has a weight restriction of 75 lbs.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Steve, thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
philasurfer wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, it doesn't seem extreme to me that I don't think human beings should EVER be bitten or mauled by an animal so that someone else can have a dog for their personal amusement. Call me crazy.

To be clear, we agree on that point. What I don't agree with is your extreme generalization about dogs and people in general. But I appreciate once again your dramatic effect and mass assumptions. It brings a certain hysteria to an already heated topic that this site sorely lacks (ha).

I also don't think that people should maul or bite people. How say you?

Posted on: 2009/1/21 14:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Ok first off I love animals and I used to have 2 mastiffs they are good animals if you treat them right, however you cannot control something that may trigger in them to attack. The victim did not provoke the dogs he was on the other side of the street. I keep hearing about these 2 dogs everywhere they are dangerous. They could have killed the victim. Thank god they didn't. I hope this lady gets these dogs taken away. If it was my animal who attacked someone for no reason I would want them to take my animal because obviously something is wrong there. Just Pi$$es me off that they want to make the world a better place yet nobody is doing anything.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
POSTED ON DOGJC:

1) Police issued 2 summons.

2) Joe Frank has repeatedly called Susan Clob of Dudley Street, but
she has not returned his calls.

3) The Mastiffs attacked another man earlier this month. Maybe there
were more attacks, but these two were reported.

4) A certified letter went out today (1/20/09) from the Office of
Animal Control and Ms. Clob has until Friday to respond.

5) This letter makes clear that the animals will be taken into
custody and kept safe at the animal shelter until a judge decides
their fate.

6) The owners have claimed they are moving out of the state at the
end of the month. However, this does not change the ACO duty to
remove the animals to the shelter.

7) If the owners do not respond then the ACO will need to get a court
order to seize the dogs.

8) The extent of the injuries to the man attacked Monday morning is
unknown. ACO Frank is waiting for the health inspectors report.

It is not determined yet how dangerous the dogs are, but the
situation is serious enough to warrant a quick removal of the dogs
from their home for evaluation.The dogs will not be allowed to remain
with the owners under any circumstances.

Sincerely,

Steven M. Fulop
Jersey City Councilman
Ward "E"
280 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302

Posted on: 2009/1/21 14:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 16:21
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Having these dogs on a leash would not have prevented the attack. These dogs have attacked other dogs while on leashes. The owners cannot control them, leash or no leash. A simple summons to the owner is not enough!

Posted on: 2009/1/21 13:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Um ok Crazy. You clearly have a problem with dogs. Which is fine. It takes all kinds... No one in this thread suggested that people should get bitten or mauled. In fact, everyone basically said if you keep your dogs under control things like this wouldn't occur.

Dogs are regulated heavily... there is legislation, licensing and health requirements that owners are SUPPOSED to adhere to. I'd estimate that 90% of people do. There are 10% that don't and more rules aren't going to change their behavior or physically restrain their dogs.

If people would take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and if the existing laws would be ENFORCED this wouldn't be a problem.

Moral of the story... people just need to act right.

Quote:

philasurfer wrote:
Quote:
JennyMayla wrote: All dogs are not evil. Just like all JCList posters are not evil.

I don't believe any Person nor any dog is evil. Dogs do what dogs do. Unfortunately dogs, from time to time, attack people and we can't change that.

What we can change is where we let dogs go, when we let them go there, and who we let own dogs. No person in a modern city should be exposed to the risk of, of all things, being brutally attacked by a dog. This means some responsible dog owners will be inconvenienced or perhaps, in some cases, not permitted to own a dog in highly crowded urban areas.

Sorry, it doesn't seem extreme to me that I don't think human beings should EVER be bitten or mauled by an animal so that someone else can have a dog for their personal amusement. Call me crazy.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Birds fly, fish swim and dogs WALK!!

People walk too.......

Quote:
great post. my dog is usually exhausted after a half hour to 45 minute walk, though we are usually out longer if it's not too cold out for him. the more i walk him, the more excited he is to go out on a daily basis, and the more relaxed he is around the apartment.

.......and people are generally more relaxed and calm when they exercise.

maybe this can be applied to the JC residents. with all the crime going on every day, maybe there would be less of it if everyone went on 45 minute walks every day like dogs.

assuming they didn't try and mug or shoot anybody during that walk.

did I read "200lb. mastiff" a few posts back? omg. that's enormous.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
The Bottom Line: The problem is NOT the breed, it IS the OWNER!!

-Responsible dog owners: Keep Their Dogs on Leashes no matter the temperment because even the most calm submissive dog can be triggered by things in their environment
-Responsible dog owners: Pick up after thir dog even when no one is looking or it is not in front of someones house or property (schools,parks, the Embankment, churches ext)
-Responsible dog owners: Take their dogs for one 45-60 minute walk a day or two 30 minute walks a day to exercise their dog (in addition to 2-3 short pee/poop breaks a day) A tired dog is a better behaved dog and will be much more obedient and trainable. Puttin a dog in a yard is NOT exceptable, they must be walked! Birds fly, fish swim and dogs WALK!!

Thanks ,
A 2yr old Pit Bull Owner

great post. my dog is usually exhausted after a half hour to 45 minute walk, though we are usually out longer if it's not too cold out for him. the more i walk him, the more excited he is to go out on a daily basis, and the more relaxed he is around the apartment.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 5:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JennyMayla wrote: All dogs are not evil. Just like all JCList posters are not evil.

I don't believe any Person nor any dog is evil. Dogs do what dogs do. Unfortunately dogs, from time to time, attack people and we can't change that.

What we can change is where we let dogs go, when we let them go there, and who we let own dogs. No person in a modern city should be exposed to the risk of, of all things, being brutally attacked by a dog. This means some responsible dog owners will be inconvenienced or perhaps, in some cases, not permitted to own a dog in highly crowded urban areas.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The intersection where this incident happened is a very busy traffic area. This woman is obviously not very bright to allow these dogs off leash anywhere. I am not arguing against leashes but I am shocked at the knee-jerk reactions of some people against all dogs in general. As I've stated before, there are a lot more gun crimes and traffic accidents than there are dog attacks on people. When you purposely rile people up against a certain group of other people who had NOTHING to do with this incident you make them a target. The overwhelming majority of people who walk their dogs in Hamilton Park are responsible dog owners. So now, a police officer sits in Hamilton Park in his scooter making phone calls and reading the paper while a hundred feet away drivers are speeding and running STOP signs un-molested. Perhaps some of you are those reckless drivers? Yeah, thats it! I'll make a generalization about how awful all of you are. Lesson learned?

Posted on: 2009/1/21 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

philasurfer wrote:
I don't get this leash talk.

Believe me, I am sympathetic to responsible dog owners, but we cannot regulate dogs with the responsible owners in mind, we have to regulate dogs with the irresponsible owners in mind. Leashing is better than not leashing dogs, but its like saying we should only let people walk around with guns if they are holstered. You are asking for trouble.

These animals are dangerous and we need more control as a society over their involvement in society. Owners should have to be licensed and dogs should not be allowed to be taken all over the city at all hours shitting, pissing and attacking people.

Quick story: I worked with a quadriplegic woman in a govt office. She got a helper dog that cost her like 30K and was trained for years to be her arms and legs. It was an enormous scary looking German Shepard that I never trusted. One week into this arrangement the dog bit person. Wanting to be understanding the person let it go and didn't make a fuss. The next day the dog bit another person. Game over, 30K down the drain.

So don't tell me it is about the owner, training or anything else. Dogs are dangerous.

I appreciate your point but it's a bit extreme.

As for the service dog story, the problem most likely falls in the screening/training of the dog. I have to believe that the woman can get her money back (or take legal action to do so) since clearly the dog wasn't capable of doing the job. There are thousands of service dogs doing incredible work with people in need, not to mention service mini horses, but I will save that conversation for another time

What these particular dogs did is horrifying and the owner should be held accountable. The cops could have shot the dogs and it may very well have been considered ok under the circumstances. But then we would have had a gazillion posts about that...oy...

All dogs are not evil. Just like all JCList posters are not evil.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
The dog is lucky it didn't bite one of our friendly youths in JC that was packin heat or we wouldn't be having this conversation

Posted on: 2009/1/21 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This meaningful discussion with solutions and ideas is no more then a fart in the wind - I predict another dog attack within a fortnight!

Posted on: 2009/1/21 3:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get this leash talk.

Believe me, I am sympathetic to responsible dog owners, but we cannot regulate dogs with the responsible owners in mind, we have to regulate dogs with the irresponsible owners in mind. Leashing is better than not leashing dogs, but its like saying we should only let people walk around with guns if they are holstered. You are asking for trouble.

These animals are dangerous and we need more control as a society over their involvement in society. Owners should have to be licensed and dogs should not be allowed to be taken all over the city at all hours shitting, pissing and attacking people.

Quick story: I worked with a quadriplegic woman in a govt office. She got a helper dog that cost her like 30K and was trained for years to be her arms and legs. It was an enormous scary looking German Shepard that I never trusted. One week into this arrangement the dog bit person. Wanting to be understanding the person let it go and didn't make a fuss. The next day the dog bit another person. Game over, 30K down the drain.

So don't tell me it is about the owner, training or anything else. Dogs are dangerous.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I would punch this beast in the face (just to get him off me)and then I would punch the even more beastly and unintelligent owner in the neck. Oh and if I happen to ever see her in Hamilton Park with the dogs off the leash or anywhere for that matter I will call the cops and I encourage everyone to do the same. I love dogs but when animals attack humans they need to be put down. Bears, mountain loins, raccoons or even dogs. I see you dog owners all the time with your dogs off the leash, this is not the country, control your animals!! Your no better than the gang bangers at the mall Friday night!! Quality of life people!!! Quality of life!!

Posted on: 2009/1/21 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
everytime there is a post that involves dogs, with poop or not, it gets down to.... he said, she said.... drug dealers in hamilton park.... dog people being wonderfull, blah blah blah. All i can say is that eventually the dogs are the ones that are going to suffer beacuse of the ignorance of their owner. NOT LEASHING THE DOGS, IS IGNORANT... PERIOD.... If the dogs had a leash on we would not be discussing this. All it takes is one simple click. Just do it.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
These owners are very irresponsible = un-neutered male, breeding, untrained and abused.

The dogs are not to blame but most certainly need help. the dogs.

Please contact animal control if you see these dogs being abused or hurt.

Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I know these people and their dogs. The dogs are South African Boerboels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel. Very popular with white supremacist/skinhead groups (although I make no representation as to the owners of these two). Tan with a short coat. The male weighs at least 200 lbs. They are fully untrained. And they are breeding them! Absolutely absurd. This woman can't control them, whether on leash or not. She's been dragged down the street by them.

The woman's boyfriend/husband constantly beats and kicks the larger one when he pulls on his leash. They have attacked other dogs in the neighborhood as well, and many of the other dog owners have spoken about putting a complaint for animal cruelty together against them as well.

I also heard that someone else from portside towers was bitten about a week ago too and cops were involved in that one as well

How the hell did they only get a summons for off leash. This is assault, plain and simple.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

jehu wrote:
This is something that has been bothering me for awhile about JC and it's dog owners... Why would someone get a large dog in such a crowded urban area, where the only places to truly let your dog be a dog is in public parks and areas...

Smaller dogs and even medium sized dogs, yes. They are def. suited for a more urban environment.. But dogs like Shepards, Rottweilers, Huskies, etc aren't... Why as a dog owner would someone want to put their animal through it?

Just doesn't make sense to me....

Your instinct on this, while common, isn't entirely correct. Big dogs often make the best apartment dogs since they are lazier and not as hyper and energetic.

The obvious problem is that the bigger dogs are, well, bigger, and take up more room in an already cramped space. But a small dog can just as easily wreck havoc on an apartment and can require much more attention and exercise.

The problem here is not the breed, it's the owner. Plain and simple.

The Bottom Line: The problem is NOT the breed, it IS the OWNER!!

-Responsible dog owners: Keep Their Dogs on Leashes no matter the temperment because even the most calm submissive dog can be triggered by things in their environment
-Responsible dog owners: Pick up after thir dog even when no one is looking or it is not in front of someones house or property (schools,parks, the Embankment, churches ext)
-Responsible dog owners: Take their dogs for one 45-60 minute walk a day or two 30 minute walks a day to exercise their dog (in addition to 2-3 short pee/poop breaks a day) A tired dog is a better behaved dog and will be much more obedient and trainable. Puttin a dog in a yard is NOT exceptable, they must be walked! Birds fly, fish swim and dogs WALK!!

Thanks ,
A 2yr old Pit Bull Owner

Posted on: 2009/1/20 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jehu wrote:
This is something that has been bothering me for awhile about JC and it's dog owners... Why would someone get a large dog in such a crowded urban area, where the only places to truly let your dog be a dog is in public parks and areas...

Smaller dogs and even medium sized dogs, yes. They are def. suited for a more urban environment.. But dogs like Shepards, Rottweilers, Huskies, etc aren't... Why as a dog owner would someone want to put their animal through it?

Your instinct on this, while common, isn't entirely correct. Big dogs often make the best apartment dogs since they are lazier and not as hyper and energetic.

The obvious problem is that the bigger dogs are, well, bigger, and take up more room in an already cramped space. But a small dog can just as easily wreck havoc on an apartment and can require much more attention and exercise.

The problem here is not the breed, it's the owner. Plain and simple.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jehu wrote:

Actually, dogs in this area live a much more "social" life than dogs in the burbs. Most people I know in the burbs never walk their dogs or even pay much attention to them. The dogs in the burbs seldom see or mingle with other dogs which is what sometimes spawns aggressive behavior. Many people around here do have dogs for protection whether real or implied. I have been here 20 years and, believe me, one of the reasons people can now enjoy Hamilton Park is because of the many dog owners that have scared off the riff-raff and given the park back to the residents. Any hour of the night you can see someone walking a dog in the park and I don't know about you but it makes me feel safer. Count the many news accounts of shootings in Jersey City and compare them to dog on people attacks and you will see that you are wasting a lot of effort on a very minor problem.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 20:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/15 15:15
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/1/20 20:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/27 3:53
From Gull's Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I too know these dogs very well. The owner (the woman) used to frequent the Peninsula with them and the male is quite a handful.

He had a certain fascination with my chocolate lab and mounted/hurt him over and over. The problem is that this dog is enormous and it took 3 of us, grown adults, to take him down and put him on his back to calm him down. When doing so, the owner said "he's scared" and "don't do it again please", to us, which I thought was funny.

To her credit, the owner seemed to try her best to control him but I was very surprised that he hadn't broken one of her bones with the way he dragged her around, she's close to 60.

I've seen this dog in action, he doesn't need someone to give him a reason, he just goes for you.. the scariest part of all is that he's still a puppy and absolutely does not listen. She must be losing her mind to let him off leash with all the incidents he's had with other dogs and people.

The dogs should be taken away, especially if it's true they're being hit and kicked around by the male owner.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Quote:
Not too long ago I believe in California, we were just talking about it actually. There was a woman who owned two mastiffs... the dogs were social, wonderful temperment and killed the neighbor without no warning.

are you talking about the woman who was killed in san fransisco years ago? those were presa canarios (a mastiff breed) and they had quite a history of aggression. there's a book on it, scary stuff!

Quote:
Is this the woman with the teenage boy who has some disability?

if it was the boerboels, then yes, the woman has a son with some sort of disability.

I have been around those dogs in the Hamilton Park dog-run. The one is over 200 lbs. I always steered clear of them and that woman was definitely over-matched trying to handle them. She would be wise to muzzle them.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Greenvillechick wrote: This is what he looks like Photobucket
Does he have to drag that rowboat around all day?

Posted on: 2009/1/20 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Not too long ago I believe in California, we were just talking about it actually. There was a woman who owned two mastiffs... the dogs were social, wonderful temperment and killed the neighbor without no warning.

are you talking about the woman who was killed in san fransisco years ago? those were presa canarios (a mastiff breed) and they had quite a history of aggression. there's a book on it, scary stuff!

Quote:

if it was the boerboels, then yes, the woman has a son with some sort of disability.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/1/20 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
I know these people and their dogs. The dogs are South African Boerboels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel. Very popular with white supremacist/skinhead groups (although I make no representation as to the owners of these two). Tan with a short coat. The male weighs at least 200 lbs. They are fully untrained. And they are breeding them! Absolutely absurd. This woman can't control them, whether on leash or not. She's been dragged down the street by them.

The woman's boyfriend/husband constantly beats and kicks the larger one when he pulls on his leash. They have attacked other dogs in the neighborhood as well, and many of the other dog owners have spoken about putting a complaint for animal cruelty together against them as well.

I also heard that someone else from portside towers was bitten about a week ago too and cops were involved in that one as well

How the hell did they only get a summons for off leash. This is assault, plain and simple.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 17:22

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017