Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lafayette Community -Not taking it anymore!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
fyi -

ALL City Wide Block Associations are invited to PUBLIC SAFETY MEETING #2 on

THURSDAY, JAN. 22, 2009 @ 6pm, at BETHUNE LIFE CENTER, 140 MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE, J.C.

Questions may be directed to: COMMUNIPAW AVENUE BLOCK ASSOCIATION 201-432-6565 or Email commblock@ msn.com or Central Avenue Special Improvement District 201-656-1366 or Email casid@jcheights.com

"TOGETHER WE ARE ONE"

Posted on: 2009/1/22 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette: You are right...the citizens of this city want the JC Administration to enforce the law for all. With regard to the young people idolizing the behavior of "superstars" as someone said it is also important for the elected officials to set an example by their behavior. I believe we all know too well of the antics of some of them in the recent past and this is unfortunate because they become distracted from their sworn duty to protect and serve us in order to defend their obnoxious behavior. Their ability to lead is compromised and we suffer as a result. No area of this country is immune from scandal but we have to be concerned about the fleas on our own dog.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
JCSHEP: although you are correct that the police are the end problem they are there to enforce the law. The law is not to be enforced sporadically or inconsistently. JC administration's problem is that there is lack of coordination and lack of enforcing the law for the benefit of ALL and not a chosen few. I can go on and on but the simple fact is that people follow the money...and we all know Ward F is the poorest section of JC and thereby receives the least in attention. It is the way things are in this world.
Teenagers idolize the music and urban people in both suburb and city, kids do drugs on all levels...All we are saying is as Taxpayers we have the right to expect JC Administration to do their job and we will back them. We are not employees of the City of Jersey city so we can not enforce codes, enforce laws, or write ordinances. We expect those whose job it is to do so , to do just that.
Let's stop using police officers for off duty work on construction sites and park them on Hot corners! We are asking for solutions not excuses.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
newlafayette: while it is great to go to the downtown police meetings it is discouraging to see lack of participation on the lafayette side in all aspects. We should not be reactive, we should be Proactive...let's not only concentrate on crime as our neighborhood needs a lot more than police presence. I don't know who is afraid because last time I check our names and some of the members pictures are plastered all over the Jersey Journal since 2000....
People get mugged in downtown just as much as over this way..the Heights is plagued also..let's get more group participation. We are currently working on a website and we will be looking for donations from anyone...maybe you can talk to your neighbors..even $5.00 will help us maintain a website...i think we need communication....thanks..
If I was afraid I would of left a long time ago..10 Years ago Lafayette was 10 times worse.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
The cops, neighborhood, and justice system are end of pipe solutions, necessary solutions but still end of pipe. The source is a terrible what I will call ?inner-city young American culture? and bad parenting. Taking a look at the role models who cater to these youths?the people in the music industry and many sports stars. When you look at how the idols act it sends a scary message about what the kids aspire to be. I am not saying I know how to solve it, just trying to put blame where I think blame should be. The root problem is with the people who are making the mess, not the ones tasked with cleaning it up.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 17:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette, the captain's meetings goes over every crime reported within my neighborhood. I am in the east district, and at the captain's meetings, they go over every crime recorded in my district in the last month, which is what i am most concerned with. While i of course care about jersey city as a greater whole, it is helpful to me to go to go to the east district captain's meetings. You also get more face time in a smaller setting with police. I would encourage everyone to go to their district's meeting. I have been to a caba meeting in the past, and will continue to go when my husband is available to accompany me. Also, i found residents here (as opposed to downtown where we used to live) unwilling to call the police every time there is a problem. With the current system, the more calls you make, the more a zone is considered a hot spot. When we started the phone tree with the downtown watch, it helped a lot. We tried to start one in lafayette, but i think there is more of a stigma here about calling the police. People were also concerned that people causing the crimes and their families would show up to meetings and then residents trying to deter crime would be singled out. That is really a shame.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By any measure it is clear the criminal justice system has failed...the offender and the one offended are victims of a vicious cycle of incarceration and recidivism. The penal institutions are schools of higher learning for our young people. The question on the table is the safety of our citizens. The community demands that. Yes, it would help a great deal if the police lived here. What does it mean if they fear the criminal and won't act? The citizens are asked to report to them but the citizen should have no fear if the cops take hours to arrive after reporting "shots fired".

Posted on: 2009/1/15 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the street info. But it looks like not much of Communipaw Ave is actually served by the organization.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
What streets encompass CABA?

Communipaw Ave block association serves specifically the area bounded by Liberty Light Rail, Grand,Communipaw, pacific, bramhall...it is the enclave adjacent to downtown coming up from Grand....although we also meet with our fellow neighboring groups from the bordering areas.
This is the area that is known as Lafayette.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
The notion that the "better" part of the downtown section gets a better police presence is false...it is this type of dialogue that divides rather than unites communities. The police are virtually invisible except when seen at construction sites. Brutal attacks are happening everywhere in this city while the Mayor boasts about hiring more police and beefing up gang units. The good people in Lafayette and the rest of the city are asked to help the police and report criminal activity. The police are not pro-active in the pursuit of crime. They respond to the brushfires instead. When the new police officers hit the streets they are eager to do their jobs. Most police officers are good people who soon are educated by the doctrine of "don't make waves", "get all the off-duty jobs you can & beef up your pension" "go home safe at night & get out in twenty years". The majority of the police do not reside in Jersey City. For the most part their hearts and minds are not here. The leadership, or lack thereof, is at the root cause of this crisis. The population of Jersey City has increased significantly while its resources have dwindled. If the boozefog politicians had a clue and were concerned and had a plan and did their jobs people would not have to trek out at night in the dead of winter to complain.

I am the first to echo your thoughts about cops living outside of JC and not having a vested interest in the affairs here.

However, I have lived in both downtown and lafayette, and I still believe that the cops spend more time in the downtown area. It may be devisive to bring it up, but I think there is something to it.

For all of us in every neighborhood in this city. We definitely need a greater police presence. A cop I know said that Jersey City has too few cops than the recommeded number for a city its size and population.

And kudos to CABA for making some noise about crime. As they say, " the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

Posted on: 2009/1/14 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
You can blame the cops all you want bottom line is if the justice system does do its job and put some of these "kids" away then everythingelse if pointless. You can have all the meetings you want enforce any law you want if junveniles and adults don't recieve real punishments instead of the slap on the wrists that they have been getting then everything you do is pointless. Stop with the down grading of charges, give them what they deserve. Put people in jail and keep them there. It seems to me whatever the courts are doing isn't working. As far as the parents go some of them are just as bad as the kids. Some have little to no respect for others where do you think the kids learn it, they figure if my parents can act that way why can't I. You hear all the time about kids having weapons guns, knives, drugs yet they are still on the street. They get arrested and a few hours later the parents come pick them up and they are abck out there doing the same thing over and over again. Same with adults you mentioned outstanding warrants, well isn't the Sheriffs Dept. suppose to handle that they just don't do child support, they are suppose to have a warrant squad.

As far as city cops having to live in Jersey City I disagree, why would you want to live and work in the same city. Why so some criminal can follow you home.Then you have to worry about someone taking out some sort of revenge on your family for either arresting them or someone in thier family while you are out protecting everyone else including the criminals family, I think not.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 17:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
The notion that the "better" part of the downtown section gets a better police presence is false...it is this type of dialogue that divides rather than unites communities. The police are virtually invisible except when seen at construction sites. Brutal attacks are happening everywhere in this city while the Mayor boasts about hiring more police and beefing up gang units. The good people in Lafayette and the rest of the city are asked to help the police and report criminal activity. The police are not pro-active in the pursuit of crime. They respond to the brushfires instead. When the new police officers hit the streets they are eager to do their jobs. Most police officers are good people who soon are educated by the doctrine of "don't make waves", "get all the off-duty jobs you can & beef up your pension" "go home safe at night & get out in twenty years". The majority of the police do not reside in Jersey City. For the most part their hearts and minds are not here. The leadership, or lack thereof, is at the root cause of this crisis. The population of Jersey City has increased significantly while its resources have dwindled. If the boozefog politicians had a clue and were concerned and had a plan and did their jobs people would not have to trek out at night in the dead of winter to complain.

I may stand corrected. But, I thought that Jersey City Police officers were required to reside in Hudson County. I think that if more police officers lived here in the city it would improve crime statistics.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
What streets encompass CABA?

Posted on: 2009/1/14 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Newlafayette:
Can i suggest a group walking to the meeting. It's really important that the whole neighbhorhood gets together. CABA has initiated many good things that we are all benefiting from. We have always had the meetings in the same location and it would behoove the people on the other side of pacific to attend meetings. I agree that we should not be divided, some of us can drive each other.
We need both sides of Pacific to be on the same page.
PM me for more info....Going to the captains meetings won't help you to know what's going on here in Lafayette.
Hope to see you all on Monday night.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 16:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly though, i wish the meetings were not past pacific, because i won't walk past pacific alone, especially not at night with everything that's been happening. That's why i haven't been going to the CABA meetings. I think most people who live between the light rail and pacific in our neighborhood feel the same way. I try to go to the monthly captain's meetings at Bright street school instead.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Shadow wrote:

+1. I propose that the cops, in order to feel safe, should work in teams of 4 officers. Eliminate the single or 2 cop patrols. I am not talking about adding more cops since that will probably not be fiscally feasible but instead combine the existing patrols. They usually don't respond without back-up so it makes total sense. They also have to increase traffic stops. Traffic stops are the best way to snag people with outstanding warrants, guns and drugs. It worked in NYC in the 90's to attack the smaller quality of life crimes like fare-jumpers, squeegie-men and pot dealers. Those arrests usually revealed an outstanding warrant for more serious crimes and took those people off the streets.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Shadow: You are 100% right, but when downtown is mentioned I blame ourselves. Ward E has STRONG community groups and the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Ward E is squeakier than Ward F by far!!
Thank you for your insight, you are right on!

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
JC73: you fail to also realize that most of these "people" doing the crimes are under 18...and they go by names like "Peanut" , "T", "Killah".....now I am not a street person and neither do i hang out on a corner...i work , just like ROz and everyone else here....we are being penalized for those bad apples that run the area..and guess what? Some of the cops are even afraid of these areas....I don't blame them of being afraid of kids who have no regard for life..but I can't carry a gun.
Someone said it right, we share the downtown police..so guess where they are most of the time? It's time for a Better Lafayette and we need help from everyone..thank you again.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Dear Friends of Lafayette & Ward F Residents,
Please attend the Public Safety Meeting on Jan. 19th @ 7pm Monumental Baptist Church dinning hall
121 Lafayette Street, J.C. (entrance on Van Horne St.)

Respectfully,
Rosalyn A. Browne
Communipaw Avenue Block Association
201-432-6565
=
Please join us and To respond to someone who says it is the neighborhood's fault, This is not fair to say. We are not armed, we are not the police. We need enforcement on all levels, from abandoned buildings to curfew...that is what we are fighting for. We want the police to walk the beat....Believe me we are very proactive. Anyone from BergenLafayette is welcome. Let's get together, in unity there is strength!
See you Monday!

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Rosalyn Browne is great. She runs the funeral home on Commmunipaw ave if you need to get in touch with her.

And please don't blame the neighborhood for any problems down there. I lived there for a year, and the people down there do complain to the police.

I think one of the problems is that Lafayette is in the same police district as downtown. Not only are the cops understaffed, but the ones who are on duty seem to spend most of their time in the better area.

One night when I was living there I heard gunshots at about 11 p.m. I called the police as did many of my neighbors. Guess when the cops showed up to investigate? Yup, next day at about noon.

I wish CABA the best of luck. They are definitely fighting an uphill battle.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
Way to go CABA!

Posted on: 2009/1/14 14:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
What street do you live on?

Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Who is in charge of these meetings? I need to go to some in my neighborhood if there are any.
If anyone is in charge or can steer me in the direction, PM me. I live close to Communipaw Avenue but not up by the Lafayette area if that helps.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Who is in charge of these meetings? I need to go to some in my neighborhood if there are any.
If anyone is in charge or can steer me in the direction, PM me. I live close to Communipaw Avenue but not up by the Lafayette area if that helps.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 1:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I blame the neighborhood, they know who the drug dealers are and the people causing all the problems why don't they speak up and tell the cops.

I had a similar problem growing up in my nieghborhood, I lived in a nice quiet section of Jersey City when all of a sudden we started to get our homes broken into. Well then we started to notice junkies and drug dealers on the corner. A few people were mugged on thier way home at night. Well one day we all got together and said enough was enough and started to call the police. They would come by and chase them away but used to tell us that they couldn't arrest anyone because they couldn't prove they were dealing drugs. When we found out who was dealing we told the cops and told them where they were hiding the drugs. It took alittle time but before we knew it our nieghborhood was ours again.

If the people in the area want something done they are going to have to speak up tell the police who exactly is doing what, give some names. You can't use the excuse that they are afraid because they have to live there. There are plenty of ways to tell the police. Annonymous phone calls, give a good description and if you have a name give that too. You mean to tell me after three shootings in that area not one person saw something. I find that hard to believe.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 0:14

Lafayette Community -Not taking it anymore!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 31831564322810.xml&coll=3

CRIME DRIVING THEM TO THE 'POUR' HOUSE
Syrup to deter crime? Desperate citizens call for more cops on beat
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
At a meeting with Jersey City's police chief just over a week ago, Lafayette area residents complained of people hanging out on corners and intimidating residents, prompting one local to pour pancake syrup on her stoop to keep loiterers away.

"I know it's stupid, but it works," said Raquel Sharper, vice president of the Communipaw Avenue Block Association.
About a dozen CABA members attended the meeting, along with state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson, Freeholder Jeffrey Dublin and Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey.

CABA members want closed-circuit television cameras set up in the area. They also want the city to create a task force in conjunction with state and federal officials to patrol the area and to increase the number of Jersey City police officers on foot patrol there.

Comey said the cameras were delayed due to a mistake in the bidding process, but that the problem has been corrected and that the city is close to getting the cameras.

He said he would eventually like to increase the number of officers on foot patrol but currently doesn't have the manpower to do so.

Three days after the meeting, CABA president Rosalyn Browne said there had been a greater police presence in the neighborhood.

From January through November 2007, there was an average of 187 crimes per month in the East District, which includes the Lafayette section. That's slightly higher than the average of 185 for the city overall, divided by the four districts.

But of the 36 murders that occurred in Hudson County in 2008, 25 occurred in Ward F, where the Lafayette neighborhood is located, Browne said.

Residents were particularly concerned about two recent shootings in the area, one on Jan. 3 and another on Dec. 23.

"I can't have people shooting each other and then the bodies laying in our parking lot," said Browne, who owns a funeral home outside of which the Jan. 3 shooting took place.

"It is getting scary out there," said association member Christa Atkins. "Every morning I leave my home at 6 a.m. and it's pitch black, and I'm scared."

Comey asked Browne for a list of crime fighting priorities and said he would get back to her with a proposed plan soon. He said he didn't want to make the plan public, since he didn't want criminals to know about it.

"But," he said, "check back in 30 to 40 days. You'll see a big difference."

CABA will hold its next public safety meeting on Monday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. at Monumental Baptist Church, 121 Lafayette St.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 21:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017