Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What's Happening to Learning Community Charter School?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
When the move becomes finalized I'm sure there will be ample time to explore private bus options in addition to the public transportation ones previously mentioned.

Regarding the move uptown.. it is my understanding that LCCS is finacially strapped and if it doesn't increase it's enrollment it faces serious difficulties.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
The major Kennedy Blvd bus line is the #10, which is now integrated with the 99S line (Bayonne to Manhattan Port Authority via JSQ and the Heights). There's a stop every 2-3 blocks on JFK, so there might be one right in front of the school.

It does not show up on the NJ Transit search as it's operated by Red & Tan / Coach USA. Here's a PDF of the schedule:

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsset ... es/96/route1099Ssched.pdf

Posted on: 2008/12/2 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks mle267, that was most helpful.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 4:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Public Transportation to 2495 JFK Blvd.

NJ Transit lines #1,43,80 and 87 all go within 5 blocks of the Caritas building.

I know the 80 stops at Grove Street, and that the 87 runs through the Heights. The #1 bus runs from Exchange Place, past Communipaw and Grand then all the way to Newark. It acutally goes right through the intersection that the school is currently located on. The #43, from the limited map on the NJ Transit site, starts at Exchange Place and runs up Newark Ave(crossing with Palisade Ave).

The NJ Transit website has a cool feature to find all types of service located near any location- definately more helpful than trying to read the scratched out numbers on Bus Stop signs!

Hope this info helps!

Posted on: 2008/12/2 4:27

Re: What\'s Happening to Learning Community Charter School?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
The current conditions with the kids being taught in trailers is un safe and really unhealthy.
I don't know when it became acceptable to teach kids this way but i think it's wrong.The structure of a true building can only help with the learning experience.

The current trailers should all be removed and the extra space used for rec.purposes as was intended.The indoor part of the school could be a great Community Center.They should make all the surrounding developers chip in to redo the Facade.
Just my Two cents.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
However roughly 55-60% of Learning Community families do not live downtown so it will also provide relief for the parents who haven\'t had the convenience of living close to their child\'s school.

I am not convinced this is true, the current location is highly accessible from most of Jersey City, not just for downtown residents.

The current location is extremely well connected; A lightrail stop right next door, Grove Street Path a few blocks away, numerous public buses that run past Grove street, plus there are the dollar buses.

What are the public transport options to the new location?

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Shelley - thanks for the solid information. Congratulations on your proposed move and your commitment to providing a great school for area children.

Any input on what is replacing LCCS once you leave your current downtown location? Is another school looking to lease the space?

Posted on: 2008/12/1 23:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/7 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Learning Community Charter School is in the process of acquiring a new facility on Kennedy Blvd. near Lincoln Park. For many years the school has struggled with the very tight quarters in the Boys and Girls Club where it leases space. We have looked into building on to the Boys and Girls Club but found the cost to be prohibitive. The booming real estate market has made another location downtown impossible. Finally the demand for the school has increased 77% percent over the past 4 years and given the confines of the current location we are unable to expand our enrollment to meet community need.

The new location will make transportation for some families less convenient and we will work with parents to find creative solutions to getting to and from the new school. However roughly 55-60% of Learning Community families do not live downtown so it will also provide relief for the parents who haven\'t had the convenience of living close to their child\'s school.

The facility really is a very exciting thing for Learning Community giving our students and teachers many basic school amenities they have gone with out: a dynamism of our own, a cafeteria, a library, a theater and science labs. Ownership of a school building as opposed to leasing insures the long term financial health of the school given the disparity in funding for charter schools.

Shelley Skinner
Director of Development and Community Relations
Learning Community Charter School

Posted on: 2008/12/1 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
It's a shame that LCCS will move uptown, but it was inevitable. Just look at the development that's surrounding the boy's club.

The good news is that the Caritas Academy building is a nice facility. My sisters went to the school when it was Saint Al's Academy back in the seventies. If they've kept the building up it will be nice. It has a nice cafeteria, gym and auditorium.

Maybe they can provide transportation for the many families down here who already have kids enrolled there.

Posted on: 2008/11/29 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It seems a difficult location to get to by public transport. What would be the quickest way from downtown?

I can only hope that they will lay on buses from downtown, although I heard that they had to discontinue buses due to the prohobitive costs.

A great thing about the current location is that both Path and Light Rail are right next door, plus loads of buses run through Grove street, and there are the $ buses down Newark too.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 3:36

What's Happening to Learning Community Charter School?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I read in the Jersey Journal that the Learning Community Charter School may move to the space occupied by the former Caritas Academy on Kennedy Boulevard. Is that confirmed?

Does anyone know what, if anything, is going into LCCS's space on Grand Street? I wonder if many of the area families are ready for a commute to school when they used to be able to walk to LCCS. It seems like this move would be a big loss to the downtown community since that school is positioned to be one of the better educational centers in the city.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 0:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017