Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Greenville: Suspect Killed By Police
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wakelawyer wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Well..... there you have it. Everyone wants to jump on the "dirtbag" and I can't believe you compared this person to Hitler who murdered THOUSANDS...

and my credibility is lost?
Give me a break

I hope that you are joking with this comment. The piece of evidence that is supposed to exonerate this upstanding youth is that his good friend who is sitting in the front passenger seat with his hands out the window (and presumably looking towards the front passenger bumper - try looking in another direction while your hands are out the window) saw his friend offer up the drugs in his possession but did not reach for the gun that all admit was at least visible to the officers.

Not only was it dark, not only was he looking in a different direction, but if he were to somehow look back, the headrest, seat and pillars would obstruct his view.

This doesn't seem to be an unbiased witness desiring to tell the truth but, rather, someone trying to get the community up in arms for no reason, presumably for a piece of the potential flow of cash that follows once activists appear and litigation begins.

This seems to be the flavor of choice with certain residents...

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/16 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Well..... there you have it. Everyone wants to jump on the "dirtbag" and I can't believe you compared this person to Hitler who murdered THOUSANDS...

Give me a break

So in your perverse mind, Your not as bad if you kill one person rather than Millions ??

Sister you really need to get your head examined and by a real Dr....

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/16 14:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/26 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

Give me a break

I hope that you are joking with this comment. The piece of evidence that is supposed to exonerate this upstanding youth is that his good friend who is sitting in the front passenger seat with his hands out the window (and presumably looking towards the front passenger bumper - try looking in another direction while your hands are out the window) saw his friend offer up the drugs in his possession but did not reach for the gun that all admit was at least visible to the officers.

Not only was it dark, not only was he looking in a different direction, but if he were to somehow look back, the headrest, seat and pillars would obstruct his view.

This doesn't seem to be an unbiased witness desiring to tell the truth but, rather, someone trying to get the community up in arms for no reason, presumably for a piece of the potential flow of cash that follows once activists appear and litigation begins.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Greenville Chick the reason we have these problems is because people like you keep making excuses for these "DIRTBAGS".

In my opinion you lost all credibilty on this board. I really have to question what company you keep.

If you have relatives and friends that behave like this you should distance yourself or you'll be caught up in it before you know it.

If my cousin, brother, uncle, father etc were involved in this lifestyle my family would cut him off rather than make excuses.

thats probably part of the reason not one of my relatives has ever spent a single night in jail. We make fun of these dirtbags you defend.

Go on liveleak or youtube and you'll see countless police stops where the arrested resists and the police use great restraint.

Trust me when I tell you this.STOP THE EXCUSES. These dirtbags are the problem not the cops.

Amen,new heights, what a blatant attempt to make it seem as though that mercedes was occupied by a bunch of nuns at 1:40am????

I can't get over the amount of people out there willing to stick up for the "scum" of the earth and piss all over those who wish to maintain a civil existance in society.

I wonder what the reaction would be if we were talking about that cop had he not reacted in time ans was the reciepient of that DirtBag's bullet??? Huhm???

Talk about people who have it Ass backwards.....

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/16 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

Give me a break

MILLIONS

Posted on: 2008/9/16 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users

Give me a break

Posted on: 2008/9/16 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
HE 'NEVER' DREW GUN
Cops' version of fatal shooting is challenged

Tuesday, September 16, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITERS

KEN THORBOURNE

Contrary to a preliminary claim by authorities that a fatal shooting by a Jersey City cop Sunday appears to be justified, a passenger in the car said yesterday that the officer should not have fired.

The witness, who did not want to be identified, said Markieth Singleton, 25, who was fatally shot by Police Officer Joseph Cossolini, never pointed or even held a gun during the traffic stop at Kennedy Boulevard and Greenville Avenue.

"Never, no, no, never did he (Singleton) draw a gun," said Singleton's friend, who was with Singleton's grandmother when he was interviewed.

He said he was in the front seat of the Mercedes SUV when police pulled it over at 1:41 a.m. Sunday and told the four occupants to roll down the windows and put their hands out the windows.

"They asked us what (drugs) we had," he said, adding that Singleton owned up to possessing an illegal narcotic, and that when he reached for it, his gun could be seen. When Cossolini saw the weapon, he began shooting, the man claims.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said his office's probe into the shooting is ongoing. He said Singleton had a container of PCP on him, but that it will take weeks for toxicology tests to determine if he was intoxicated.

According to police reports, Singleton was in the rear seat when the SUV was stopped because it matched a vehicle used in a robbery. The officers told the passengers to put their arms out the windows, DeFazio said. Told by cops not to move, Singleton did not comply and brandished a semiautomatic handgun, DeFazio said.

"The officer saw the gun and yelled 'Gun, gun!' and after that the shots were fired," by Cossolini, DeFazio said.

Singleton was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center.

A woman who said she ran out of her home after hearing the gunshots told The Jersey Journal that an officer beat one of the men in the vehicle, but DeFazio said there was no report of anyone other than Singleton being hurt.

No one in the SUV was charged, DeFazio said.

Bertha Smallwood, Singleton's grandmother, said she raised him since he was 3 and did not deny that he had a history with law enforcement. But, she said, Singleton "had changed him life around. He was really striving to be successful."

Singleton pleaded guilty to weapons and drug offenses in 2001, 2002 and 2005, DeFazio said.

Smallwood said her grandson had a 2-month old baby girl and had been working at the Shop-Rite off Marin Boulevard.

This is not the first time a loved one has been shot and killed in Jersey City, Smallwood said. Singleton's father, Darrian, was shot and killed during a robbery 21 years ago, she said. Singleton was 4 at the time.

DeFazio asks anyone with information on Markieth Singleton's death to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 9:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Alb, your reply was sensible and restrained. I appreciate that, as that is seldom the case in these boards...

In any case, in relation to the cops kicking a person laying on the ground, I can provide a possible theory for your consideration. It could be that the eyewitness may have mistaken the officer's action to be a kick, when in fact the officer may have been using his feet to force the perp into a "spread eagle" position. I have often seen that tactic used by law enforcement personnel, as it allows the officer to maintain a somewaht safe distance from the suspect, while retaining a tactical advantage over the subject, including the ability to keep a gun trained on the person.

Of course, I was not there and could be totally off base, but it sounds plausible.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:
If the officers are so poorly trained and/or disciplined that they kick one suspect in broad daylight, in front of civilians, how can I trust them to give an honest explanation of why they used deadly force against another suspect?

Broad daylight? At 1:41 AM? I don't think so...

You're right, I'm wrong. Sorry.

Quote:
Besides, witness are often unreliable. And I am willing to bet that the suspect laying on the ground was most likely not laying there calmly, waiting for the cops to slap the cuffs on him.

I'd like to see more about this.

Also: does anyone here know whether there are situations in which you're supposed to kick a guy who's resisting arrest because that's the proper way to handle him?

To me, it seems as if kicking a guy who's on the on ground is what you to do to someone you want to punish, not an effective way to restrain a guy. But I've never had a karate or a judo class and don't know.

If kicking a guy in the ground is a standard way to control a prisoner, or other witnesses say the guy on the ground was causing serious problems: I surrender.

On the other hand: one reason I find the idea that this was overkill credible is because I know that a very law-abiding guy I know got thrown down on the sidewalk and terrified just for trying to persuade a police officer to protect a utility worker in a manhole.

If good police officers want me to give them the benefit of the doubt when they kick unruly prisoners, they have to get their colleagues to treat ordinary, law-abiding people more politely and not throw those folks down on sidewalks.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Lets take a moment to look at the big picture here, 1. The vehicle that was stopped because it fit the description of a vehicle used in an armed robbery earlier, 2. The officers could smell the "DIP", which by the way if anyone has had the unfortunate pleasure of smelling has a distinctive and harsh odor. 3. The DEAD GUY tells the police he has the drugs. 4. The DEAD GUY reaches for what the police officers thinks is the drugs but instead reaches for a loaded handgun. 5 I dont think the DEAD GUYs intent was to give up the gun to the cops because why would he have been struggling with the first cop who grabbed it to take it away from him. 6. This woman Ms. Collazo who is she and how does she fit in, does she live in the neighborhood, was she driving by, maybe it was an echo, maybe there were three shots fired, maybe the DEAD GUY fired a shot and they haven't found the casing yet.

Bottom line is this the police stopped a car that fit the description of a vehicle used in a robbery ealier, they were well within thier rights to stop the vehicle, they were able to detect the odor of a known drug, well within thier rights to investigate the DEAD GUY admits to having the drug on him and reaches for it, instead of pulling out the drugs he pulls out a loaded gun, which by the way as a convicted felon he is not ALLOWED to have especially if it was for having an illegal firearm before, and fights with the police who are trying to take it from him, So they feared for thier safety and the safety of anyone else who he might harm with it if he got away and shot him in SELF DEFENSE, after all like I said if he had wanted to just give the gun up he would have told the police he had a gun and they would have taken it from him.

So why the big discussion, oh wait we can't forget about the Ms. Collazo who claims they kicked a man while he was on the ground, where was she standing when this happened how does she know he was actually being kicked are you to say he drew his leg back and gave the guy a kick. Everyone is always out to try and find something wrong with what they did and how they should be trained better I think everyone on here should list thier profession so we all can have a crack at you.

I think my broker is doing a horrible job, because if he was doing his job right I should be able to give him a thousand dollars and he should have made me enough money so I would be retired by now, I think the auto manufacturers are terrible because if they knoew what they were doing we wouldn't be paying so much for gas. I think some of the cooks in downtown need to go back to school for retraining because I don't think they are up to par.

I think the officers used great restraint after all the guy WITH THE GUN only got twice, they didn't open fire on the entire vehicle, nor did you hear how anyone elsa in the vehicle needed to taken to the hospital for any treatment after being brutaly beaten, as a matter of fact they were let go, not even charged, which by the way they could have been.

Great analysis. It's a bad situation however you look at it -- a guy was killed -- but I don't know how the cops could have handled it any differently without further risking their own lives...and Ms. Collazo's too.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 23:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
A great cross section of Christian America

Posted on: 2008/9/15 23:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Oh I forgot to add to "Alb" I'm not sure where you grew up or where you are living now but 1:41 am is in the middle of the night not BROAD DAY LIGHT.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 22:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Lets take a moment to look at the big picture here, 1. The vehicle that was stopped because it fit the description of a vehicle used in an armed robbery earlier, 2. The officers could smell the "DIP", which by the way if anyone has had the unfortunate pleasure of smelling has a distinctive and harsh odor. 3. The DEAD GUY tells the police he has the drugs. 4. The DEAD GUY reaches for what the police officers thinks is the drugs but instead reaches for a loaded handgun. 5 I dont think the DEAD GUYs intent was to give up the gun to the cops because why would he have been struggling with the first cop who grabbed it to take it away from him. 6. This woman Ms. Collazo who is she and how does she fit in, does she live in the neighborhood, was she driving by, maybe it was an echo, maybe there were three shots fired, maybe the DEAD GUY fired a shot and they haven't found the casing yet.

Bottom line is this the police stopped a car that fit the description of a vehicle used in a robbery ealier, they were well within thier rights to stop the vehicle, they were able to detect the odor of a known drug, well within thier rights to investigate the DEAD GUY admits to having the drug on him and reaches for it, instead of pulling out the drugs he pulls out a loaded gun, which by the way as a convicted felon he is not ALLOWED to have especially if it was for having an illegal firearm before, and fights with the police who are trying to take it from him, So they feared for thier safety and the safety of anyone else who he might harm with it if he got away and shot him in SELF DEFENSE, after all like I said if he had wanted to just give the gun up he would have told the police he had a gun and they would have taken it from him.

So why the big discussion, oh wait we can't forget about the Ms. Collazo who claims they kicked a man while he was on the ground, where was she standing when this happened how does she know he was actually being kicked are you to say he drew his leg back and gave the guy a kick. Everyone is always out to try and find something wrong with what they did and how they should be trained better I think everyone on here should list thier profession so we all can have a crack at you.

I think my broker is doing a horrible job, because if he was doing his job right I should be able to give him a thousand dollars and he should have made me enough money so I would be retired by now, I think the auto manufacturers are terrible because if they knoew what they were doing we wouldn't be paying so much for gas. I think some of the cooks in downtown need to go back to school for retraining because I don't think they are up to par.

I think the officers used great restraint after all the guy WITH THE GUN only got twice, they didn't open fire on the entire vehicle, nor did you hear how anyone elsa in the vehicle needed to taken to the hospital for any treatment after being brutaly beaten, as a matter of fact they were let go, not even charged, which by the way they could have been.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville Chick the reason we have these problems is because people like you keep making excuses for these "DIRTBAGS".

In my opinion you lost all credibilty on this board. I really have to question what company you keep.

If you have relatives and friends that behave like this you should distance yourself or you'll be caught up in it before you know it.

If my cousin, brother, uncle, father etc were involved in this lifestyle my family would cut him off rather than make excuses.

thats probably part of the reason not one of my relatives has ever spent a single night in jail. We make fun of these dirtbags you defend.

Go on liveleak or youtube and you'll see countless police stops where the arrested resists and the police use great restraint.

Trust me when I tell you this.STOP THE EXCUSES. These dirtbags are the problem not the cops.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Silver Mercedes SUV - I love it and business must be good.
This group will fit in just nicely renting at the Beacon !
The Beacon would make a good hang out for these guys - its a rabbit warren and not so easy for cops to sneak up and storm in !

Posted on: 2008/9/15 21:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
CANKICKER wrote:

PS:Noone really gives a crap what you think !

[quote]

Then why have a discussion?

Posted on: 2008/9/15 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
"dirtbag"

regardless of his past infractions, this is someones brother, son, father even....

if my son was involved in some sh*t regardless of what he did, im not going to be like oh "glad, that dirtbag" is gone, put yourself in their shoes, imagine your brother, or father, or whomever... who made a bad decision in their lives.

Further more, I dont believe the story.... I don't care about hate posts.. it is what it is. 7 times out of 10 the cops are bigger "dirtbags" then those who they arrest.

Ted bundy and Hitler were also someone's child, brother,uncle and cousin, does that mean the world should view them in the same way as your trying to convey? or better yet, should the world have given them another chance at redemption?

Funny, usually the people that stick up for lowlives like these mentioned aren't usually that far behind.

PS:Noone really gives a crap what you think !

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/15 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
"dirtbag"

regardless of his past infractions, this is someones brother, son, father even....

if my son was involved in some sh*t regardless of what he did, im not going to be like oh "glad, that dirtbag" is gone, put yourself in their shoes, imagine your brother, or father, or whomever... who made a bad decision in their lives.

Further more, I dont believe the story.... I don't care about hate posts.. it is what it is. 7 times out of 10 the cops are bigger "dirtbags" then those who they arrest.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 20:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/4 14:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Good for him, got exactly what he deserved if you ask me.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
If the officers are so poorly trained and/or disciplined that they kick one suspect in broad daylight, in front of civilians, how can I trust them to give an honest explanation of why they used deadly force against another suspect?

Broad daylight? At 1:41 AM? I don't think so...

Besides, witness are often unreliable. And I am willing to bet that the suspect laying on the ground was most likely not laying there calmly, waiting for the cops to slap the cuffs on him. Most likely he was resisting arrest, or moving, or otherwise disregarding the officers' order to lay down and not move.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Bravo!!

This is the way it should be - let the police be the judge, jury and executioner - stop wasting the taxpayers' dollars on public defenders, jails, appeals, etc.

Nxt time your sad ass gets jumped and you scream help for the cops, maybe you'll feel real bad for the poor soul who just smacked you around and took yr valuables and if yr lucky didn't kill ya.

You should start "A lowlifes support group", you know the opposite of a Victim's group and let them know just how much the tax paying public feels bad for them and really sees the good in their existence....

YOU MAKE ME SICK!!

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Great Job NJPD! Keep up the good work. Its obvious they used the utmost restraint otherwise they would have lit up all four passengers.

One less dirtbag to waste our tax dollars on.

AMEN BRO !!!

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Bravo!!

This is the way it should be - let the police be the judge, jury and executioner - stop wasting the taxpayers' dollars on public defenders, jails, appeals, etc.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Great Job NJPD! Keep up the good work. Its obvious they used the utmost restraint otherwise they would have lit up all four passengers.

One less dirtbag to waste our tax dollars on.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
One thing I always wanted to know is do justified homicides by police officers get put on crime statistics. I ask this because I can think of other homicides in the past that were selfdefense that made the statistics. Does any body know the answer to this?

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Officials: Cop reacts when gun is pulled

Collazo said she witnessed one man on the ground being kicked by officers, and paramedics trying to revive the shooting victim before taking him away.

"It was terrible," Collazo said. "I didn't get to sleep last night. It makes you paranoid."

My initial reaction to the story was, "Yah! The police got a bad guy!!! Good job!!!"

Then I read this part and suddenly wondered whether the part in the story about a suspect pulling the gun was true.

I understand that the police officers involved in this stop must have been freaked out, and it seems likely that the guys in the car were dreadful, but what is the point of a kicking a guy who is already on the ground? How does that contribute to restraining him?

If the police officers really kicked a guy who was already on the ground, and it turns out that the guy on ground was already restrained, that act of brutality would undermine everything the officers say about anything else that happened around the time of the arrest.

And I recognize that these officers were freaked out and that, if I were in their place, I might do worse things. I don't necessarily want anyone throwing the book at those particular freaked out officers, but I think that, if this report is correct and I'm understanding it accurately, the JCPD needs to do a better job of training the officers.

Alb, go back to sleep, or better yet don't annoy anyone with your inane comments.Are you kidding me, "How do we know if this lowlife had a gun or not?

The cops didn't pull over a car carrying a girlscout troop on their way to sell cookies.

Furthermore, these cops are trained and know how to look for the signs that something is about to go seriously bad.

Why don't you pull over a few cars in that neck of the woods after midnight, your better off playing "Russian Roulette" !

It's people like you that play into that Sharpton crap!

GO BACK TO SLEEP!

CK

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

Collazo said she witnessed one man on the ground being kicked by officers, and paramedics trying to revive the shooting victim before taking him away.

"It was terrible," Collazo said. "I didn't get to sleep last night. It makes you paranoid."

My initial reaction to the story was, "Yah! The police got a bad guy!!! Good job!!!"

Then I read this part and suddenly wondered whether the part in the story about a suspect pulling the gun was true.

I understand that the police officers involved in this stop must have been freaked out, and it seems likely that the guys in the car were dreadful, but what is the point of a kicking a guy who is already on the ground? How does that contribute to restraining him?

If the police officers really kicked a guy who was already on the ground, and it turns out that the guy on ground was already restrained, that act of brutality would undermine everything the officers say about anything else that happened around the time of the arrest.

And I recognize that these officers were freaked out and that, if I were in their place, I might do worse things. I don't necessarily want anyone throwing the book at those particular freaked out officers, but I think that, if this report is correct and I'm understanding it accurately, the JCPD needs to do a better job of training the officers.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:04

Greenville: Suspect Killed By Police
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Monday, September 15, 2008
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City police officer fired at least two shots and killed an armed man during a police stop yesterday, officials said.

Markieth Singleton, 25, of Jersey City, died after a police officer shot him in the rear passenger seat of a silver Mercedes SUV at Kennedy Boulevard and Greenville Avenue at 1:41 a.m., officials said.

Officers pulled over an SUV that met the description of a vehicle reported to have been used in a robbery earlier in the night, police said.

Two cops approached the SUV - one on each side of the vehicle - and questioned the four occupants after smelling the narcotic DIP, police said.

Singleton, who was sitting in a rear passenger side seat, said he had the drug, police said.

He then reached across his body and instead of producing the drug, pulled out a .380-caliber silver semi-automatic handgun, police said.

At that point, Police Officer Joseph Stelze reached through an open window on the passenger side of the car and grappled with Singleton, police said.

Standing on the driver's side of the vehicle, Police Officer Joseph Cossolini drew his weapon and fired at least two shots through an open window, striking Singleton on the left side of his body, police said. Singleton was declared dead at Jersey City Medical Center at 2:20 p.m., authorities said.

Singleton's gun had a full magazine and round in the chamber, police said.

Cossolini and Stelze were placed on desk duty pending the outcome of an investigation, Jersey City Police Chief Thomas Comey said yesterday.

"These are two stellar officers who have exemplary records," Comey added.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio, whose office is investigating the incident, said preliminary reports suggest the officers showed "restraint," describing the incident as a "justifiable shooting" of "an armed man who presented a danger to himself and others."

Singleton's family couldn't be reached to comment.

The other occupants of the SUV are being considered witnesses, DeFazio said.

The driver and a passenger were released after the incident and a 22-year-old passenger was arrested for an open warrant for failure to appear in Ringwood Municipal Court in Passaic County, police said.

Because of a prior conviction, Singleton was barred from carrying a weapon. He served at least six months of a sentence in 2006 for a conviction that carried a maximum 3-year term for possessing illegal weapons, according to the Department of Corrections Web site.

Although DeFazio said investigators recovered two spent shell casings at the scene, Edith Collazo said yesterday she heard three shots.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 17:46

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017