Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City Mayor Healy arrested after Bradley Beach incident
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
4 years after his brawl with cops in Bradley Beach, Jersey City mayor draws a wrist slap from state Supreme Court's Disciplinary Review Board

Friday, April 23, 2010
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Naughty, naughty! Now get outta here!

That's the stern - and inconsequential message - the state's Supreme Court's Disciplinary Review Board has delivered to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy regarding his disorderly persons arrest in Bradley Beach four years ago.

In November, after reviewing the circumstances of Healy's arrest and conviction in 2007 for resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law, the Supreme Court's Office of Attorney Ethics recommended a range of sanctions for Healy, ranging from a slap-on-the-wrist admonishment to suspension of his law license for up to three months.

On April 5, the court's review board went with the least onerous punishment, the admonishment.

The state Supreme Court has the final word, but officials say the court virtually always follows the recommendation of the review board.

Healy is fine with the finger-wagging warning.

"I have no complaints about the commission's findings and think I was treated fairly by them," the mayor said. "I feel they examined the facts before them, listened to the arguments and came to a just decision."

In the wee hours of June 17, 2006, Healy intervened in a dispute between a couple outside a bar that was owned at the time by his sister and brother-in-law.

Two responding officers testified that Healy ignored several requests to step aside so they could interview the young woman and at one point assumed a "boxing stance" to fight one of the cops.

Both officers characterized Healy - who acknowledged having consumed five to seven 10-ounce beers that evening - as "clearly intoxicated." To cuff him, they testified, they had to wrestle him to the ground and pepper-spray him in both eyes.

Healy, a former municipal court judge, contended the officers overreacted to his attempts to help them sort out the situation.

In June 2007, he was convicted in Bradley Beach Municipal Court on the disorderly persons charges and the conviction was affirmed on appeal.

But the review board notes in its decision that Healy's motive was to calm a situation that might have brought serious consequences to a young man whose "clowning around" was "obviously the product of intoxication."

"He was motivated by a desire to help others. Moreover, he has an unblemished 32-year professional record," the decision states.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 15:35

Bid to oust Jersey City mayor fails
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bid to oust Jersey City mayor fails

Newsday
November 8, 2008

FREEHOLD, N.J. - A former state legislator can't seek the ouster of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy over a scuffle outside a Jersey shore bar.

That was the ruling Friday by a state Superior Court judge in Monmouth County, who dismissed a lawsuit by Louis Manzo, a former assemblyman and potential Jersey City mayoral candidate.

The judge ruled Manzo has no legal standing to seek Healy's ouster, noting that a prosecutor and a judge already decided not to push Healy from the job.

Healy was convicted in June 2007 of obstruction of justice and resisting arrest for his intervention in a couple's argument outside his sister's restaurant, Barry's Tavern, in Bradley Beach the previous summer.

Police say Healy ignored several orders to leave the scene and that he became combative with them.

"While citizens have been granted broad standing to attack the actions of public officials' wrongful actions when they affect a person financially ... the courts typically seek to restrict standing in non-economic cases to parties with a tangible and direct interest," Monmouth County Assignment Judge Lawrence Lawson wrote.

After Healy's conviction, neither Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin nor the trial judge, John Colannino, sought Healy's ouster.

Healy, who unsuccessfully appealed his conviction in Bradley Beach to the state Supreme Court, praised the decision.

"I am pleased that Judge Lawson dismissed Lou Manzo's frivolous case, which was clearly filed for political purposes," Healy said in a prepared statement. "I will continue to focus on making Jersey City greater. It is time to move forward, and as a result I am no longer prosecuting my civil claim against the town of Bradley Beach."

Manzo had maintained that Healy's conviction on the disorderly persons offenses should have been enough to make the mayor lose his job. He likened Healy's conviction to that of former Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone, who was forced to give up her job after being convicted of disorderly conduct for intervening in a 2006 traffic stop involving her nephew.

Manzo called the decision "absolutely absurd" and vowed to appeal.

"As a former legislator, I can't tell you how much I disagree with it," he told the Star-Ledger of Newark for Saturday's newspapers. He said other similar cases all ended with public officials being forced to resign.

"In every instance, in every case, every judge agreed the statute should be interpreted to protect the public, not the employee," he said.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 15:28

Manzo's suit against Healy tossed; Healy drops his Shore Suit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Manzo's suit against Healy tossed; Healy drops his Shore suit
by Paul Koepp/The Jersey Journal
Friday November 07, 2008, 5:11 PM
Jersey Journal file photoJersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, seen here testifying during his Bradley Beach trial, is safe from ouster.

Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo's attempt to remove Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy from office has been thrown out of court.

Monmouth County Assignment Judge Lawrence Lawson decided Monday that Manzo had no standing to bring his lawsuit.

The suit sought to force the mayor to forfeit his position due to his 2007 disorderly persons conviction stemming from a June 2006 altercation outside his sister's bar in Bradley Beach.

"I am pleased that Judge Lawson dismissed Lou Manzo's frivolous case, which was clearly filed for political purposes," Healy said in a statement."I will continue to focus on making Jersey City greater. It is time to move forward and as a result I am no longer prosecuting my civil claim against the town of Bradley Beach."

Healy and his wife, Maureen, had sued the Shore town and two of its police officers in June, saying the officers used excessive force and knocked her to the ground while subduing the mayor.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 22:30

'Straight-shooter' GOP judge to decide Healy's fate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'Straight-shooter' GOP judge to decide Healy's fate
Saturday, October 18, 2008
By Agustin Torres - Political Insider

The saga of Jerramiah Healy's future may be coming to an end. A hearing on whether Healy can stay in office is expected in Monmouth County on Oct. 24. Somehow, it would have been more appropriate if the legal proceedings began a week later.

It is probably dawning on some of the participants in this legal fight that the petition filed in Monmouth County by former Assemblyman Louis Manzo is somewhat of a web that could catch more than one fly.

As the Insider mentioned in Wednesday's column, Monmouth Prosecutor Luis Valentin is faced with the prospect of arguing against himself. At one point during all these Healy appeals and countercharges, Valentin argued that in 2006, outside a Bradley Beach tavern, the Jersey City mayor acted as a political bully trying to intimidate police officers who arrested Healy for interfering and resisting arrest. The mayor was convicted of the charges in 2007.

THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW

Now Valentin is making the exact opposite arguments he made before the same judge the first time around. If he or Healy's team fails to immediately win on all the technical defense arguments, then they must face the merits of the case and the prosecutor will need a silver tongue to explain why he did not follow state attorney general guidelines on whether Healy should or should not exit.

OK, you know all this.

So, let's have some political fun and ask ourselves what happens if the "unthinkable" occurs and Monmouth Superior Court Assignment Judge Lawrence Lawton, a Republican who has been called by some "a straight-shooter," decides Healy no longer has a Grove Street office?

Besides creating panic in the Hudson County Democratic Organization, glee among aspiring Jersey City mayoral candidates, a dilemma for state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, and groans inside Gov. Jon Corzine's office, Healy's removal would raise the question of who would step in for him in the May election?

The guys and gals in the Jersey City Democratic Organization say "no one" because Healy will remain. True, but what if? I doubt they will recruit any of the existing candidates. How 'bout Manzo? Kidding.

SPECULATING ON A DARK HORSE

I say the replacement could be Hudson County Executive Tom DeGise - sorry Mariano Vega. He has the organization that runs Healy's campaign

DeGise would say he has no intention of running - until the prospects present themselves. It would be an interesting choice because it means he would face off against his old political pal, former Mayor Bret Schundler.

The county executive would not have the benefit of Healy's relationship with Cunningham. DeGise is oil and Cunningham is water. Not that he would need her support. It seems that since her backing of Healy, some candidates'polls claim to have both the senator and mayor dropping in popularity since the unofficial backing.

Should DeGise try to shore up Jersey City, the first thought would be that Heights Councilman Bill Gaughan, DeGise's chief of staff, would be the man to fill the county vacancy. All they would have to do is convince the Hudson mayors that this is a good thing. This another reason why a victory by Bayonne Police Director Mark Smith in next month's Peninsula City special mayoral election is important to the HCDO.

All this can be avoided if Judge Lawton would just go along with the program.

INSIDER LONG-DISTANCE CHATTER

- Recently, Jersey City Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop, ex-Marine and avid runner, was participating in a 5K weekend run at an annual Jersey City firefighters picnic when in the middle of the race he heard a voice describing him in very unflattering terms. It was obviously another runner on his heels who continued to barrage Fulop with descriptive reasons why the fellow runner hated him - and Manzo.

Looking over his shoulder, Fulop said he saw the face of Firefighter Jerramiah Healy Jr. The councilman said he was stunned by the amount of rancor he was subjected to and picked up his pace. There was suddenly a race within a race.

Fulop crossed the finish line before his antagonist and there was another runner or two between him and Healy Jr. The councilman admitted that he let the heat of the moment get to him and there may have been a blurting of "I beat you and I'm going to beat your old man!"

The councilman added: "Why did he lump me in with Manzo?"

http://www.nj.com/jjournal/stories/in ... 24311129303310.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/10/18 13:26

Re: High court won't hear Jersey City mayor's appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wish I had property opposite cityhall to hang this banner !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/12 0:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Most say Healy will survive Manzo suit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Most say Healy will survive Manzo suit
Saturday, October 11, 2008
By Agustin Torres - Political Insider

The hearing on whether there is a future for Jerramiah Healy as mayor of Jersey City is expected to begin by the end of this month. All sides are filing their responses to a lawsuit filed by former Assemblyman Lou Manzo to have a judge determine whether Healy should step down after being convicted of disorderly charges in a scuffle with Bradley Beach police.

There is a "What me worry?" feeling among Healy's supporters.

"I feel comfortable that Jerry will beat it," said Heights Councilman Bill Gaughan, who was on his way Thursday to Secaucus Assemblyman Vincent Prieto's fund-raiser at the Pegasus Restaurant in the Meadowlands. "I talked to some lawyers, they can't see the connection between what went on in Bradley Beach and his job as mayor in Jersey City."

The man who would be in line to replace Healy, Council President Mariano Vega, said he feels Healy should win.

"(Healy) wasn't pushing his influence in a district where he lives or where he has an office," said Vega. "I'm not a lawyer, but our own county prosecutor wouldn't seek forfeiture.

"I hope Jersey City doesn't go through this again. When Glenn (Cunningham) died, we had turmoil. Now, we're trying to survive an economic downturn. Unseating a mayor wouldn't be good for the city."

Two amigos, who are high up in the administration of County Executive Tom DeGise and who do not want to go on the record (and are busy in the Bayonne mayoral race), are certain Healy will beat the Manzo lawsuit.

"(Manzo) can't beat (Healy) on the ballot, shame on Louis," one said, using an often used mantra. "It's just an exercise in futility. The lawyers we spoke to, I don't want to say they laughed at it, but they say it's an issue that people would not take serious.

"OK, Manzo got his name in the paper and he shook up some of the supporters, but you know who's stoking Manzo's fire, don't you - Gerry McCann."

Isn't it too early to use the McCann defense, and can't Manzo take sole credit for the lawsuit?

INSIDER NOTE: Even some supporters of Bayonne mayoral hopeful Mark Smith, the city police director, had to admit that rival Pat Conaghan had the best line at Tuesday's Rotary Club mayoral debate when he tried to connect Smith to former Mayor Joseph Doria.

Conaghan pulled out a yellow rubber duck and said: "If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's gotta be a duck."

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 23706346161550.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/10/11 16:10

High court won't hear Jersey City mayor's appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
High court won't hear Jersey City mayor's appeal

by The Associated Press
Tuesday October 07, 2008, 11:38 AM

New Jersey's Supreme Court has declined to consider Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy's appeal of his conviction for resisting arrest in 2006.

Chief Justice Stuart Rabner's decision was filed Monday. Healy was convicted of resisting arrest and obstructing justice and was fined $256. His appeal to the Supreme Court claimed the officers violated his First Amendment rights to free speech.

Healy claims he and his wife were trying to mediate a dispute between another man and his girlfriend when they were improperly subdued by Bradley Beach police.

Police testified that Healy was put on the ground and hit twice with pepper spray as they attempted to handcuff him.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 12:31

Re: Healy appealing to Supreme Court
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Well this story is almost finished.JJ is reporting that Healy has lost his appeal to the New Jersey Supreme court to overturn his conviction.
He is quoted as saying he will now accept his guilty verdict and pay his fine .

The final chapter of this never ending saga will take place in the court room of the Monmouth County assignment judge Lawsen.
Lou Manzo will square off against Healy as he asks the judge to remove Healy from office using the case of the Council women from Newark as a precedent.

Field trip anyone........

Posted on: 2008/10/8 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't usually quote legalese, but this is germane
Political Insider
Wednesday, October 01, 2008

There is a document that all of New Jersey's county prosecutors are given. It will play a role in whether Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is removed from office before the May 2009 municipal election.

"ATTORNEY GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR DECIDING WHETHER TO APPLY FOR A WAIVER OF FORFEITURE OF PUBLIC OFFICE PURSUANT TO N.J.S.A. 2C:51-2(e)" runs 15 pages. It's not Shakespeare, but for some it's as scary as a Stephen King story.

The one question in this Healy versus Bradley Beach saga is why some important grand jury revelations were never made public in the initial disorderly and resisting arrest municipal trial in 2007. There was nothing asked by the municipal prosecutor of arresting police officers about their grand jury testimony, in which they claimed Healy tried to intimidate them, demanded they call their police chief at 3 a.m. and asked that the whole incident be swept under the rug.

This secret testimony was revealed in subsequent litigation when Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin defended Bradley Beach Police Officer Terry Browning in an unsuccessful suit brought by Healy and his wife.

Now let us look at the guidelines and wonder - in awe.

Under the section called "Application for Forfeiture of Office at the Municipal Court Level":

"Due to the statutory provision of N.J.S.A. 2C: 51-2(b)(1) requiring the immediate forfeiture of office at the time of a public employee's conviction, and since the conviction and sentencing of a defendant in municipal court usually occur on the same day, decisions about waiver of forfeiture should be made in advance of adjudication. Therefore, a reasonable effort must be made as soon as practical to determine if the defendant is a public employee ."

Well, there's no denying they are dealing with a mayor.

In the same section - note the word "must" - there's this ditty:

"Whether the county prosecutor's office screens the municipal court cases or the municipal prosecutor directly handles charges filed in the municipal court, the decision to waive forfeiture must be made before adjudication of the case .

"Upon learning that the defendant is a public employee, the municipal prosecutor should contact the assistant prosecutor who has been assigned as the supervisor for municipal prosecutors in that county to request a review of the file to determine if waiver will be considered ."

Don't you wish you were a fly on the wall for any of these conversations. And here, in the same section, is the kicker:

"Upon completion of the review, the county prosecutor should provide the municipal prosecutor with the signed and complete written statement of reasons accepting or rejecting waiver."

So, where's the written and signed statement?

It is important to note that even if the county prosecutor had argued to waive forfeiture of office, a judge can do what he or she wants - as was in the case of Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone, who was booted this summer for her own disorderly person conviction.

Assemblyman Louis Manzo's legal action aimed at Healy goes to court, it will probably be before Monmouth County Superior Court Assignment Judge Lawrence Lawson, who heard Valentin argue in the Browning case that Healy tried to use his political and mayoral muscle. It will be interesting if we hear Valentin tell Lawson the exact opposite.

PLEASE HIT THE LOBBY BUTTON

Is all this court stuff getting under Healy's skin?

Last week, when the mayor was in Trenton testifying about how the state should help those Lehman Brothers employees who were losing their jobs, his battle to keep his office must have been on his mind.

When he got in an elevator, where there was at least one state assemblyman, the mayor spotted a familiar face from a 33rd District Assembly office. Healy then went into a loud rant. Something to the effect that "that f --- Lou Manzo" will never be mayor and there's no way he intends to resign.

At one point, the elevator door opened and that colorful description of Manzo cascaded down the hallway causing at a few turned heads, according to elevator sources. Down, please.

AN INSIDER NOTE: The Hoboken Dems will gather tomorrow evening at Willie McBride's to watch the debate. The cost is $15. One onlooker may be some guy named Jon Corzine.

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 22284236452540.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/10/1 16:03

Re: A lot is hanging on definition of 'involve or touch'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if Healy will be able to practice law in NJ after all this ?

Posted on: 2008/9/14 22:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The funny thing is i don't think this story has an ending yet.
I 'm not talking about the Bradley Beach incident,i mean the whole Cunningham dies of a heart attack,special election,Healy drunk on the porch(dirty trick or not)story.

Its like watching a train wreck.I really think Manzo is going to be successful in court,at which point we are going to have to do this all over again.I much prefer to just vote the guy out next May.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Whenever someone posts on this thread, I keep thinking the Mayor has been arrested again... Is that just me?

Posted on: 2008/9/13 23:36

A lot is hanging on definition of 'involve or touch'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Hey grovepoint,you write your own headlines to the stories now. Post them like there printed you little weasel.

Re-posted with the proper headline:

Saturday, September 13, 2008

T he other shoe has dropped. Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo had his lawyer file a lawsuit Thursday attempting to force the Monmouth County Prosecutor to remove Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy from office - over the circumstances surrounding his 2006 Bradley Beach conviction.

The reaction is expected and has started. Initially, it will be a political attack on Manzo and anyone who dares mention forfeiture.

A letter writing campaign has started with the usual suspects supporting Healy. Retired police detectives, Hudson County Sheriff Juan Perez (who writes a very eloquent letter that hasn't rarely been seen from his typing fingers, it's almost as if an accomplished letter writer like Bob Knapp penned it) recounts stories about the wonderful human being named Healy.

We're waiting for a letters of support from City Council President Mariano Vega - heir apparent if Healy is removed - and state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, which will cinch her backing of Healy.

The mayor, who denies he tried to use his political influence in Bradley Beach, has operatives who are not above calling state legislators and even the governor's and state Attorney General's offices trying to elicit support.

Even Councilman Steven Fulop has stepped in by accusing Manzo of trying to win the May mayoral election in the courtroom instead of the ballot box. Manzo said Fulop is auditioning to replace Healy with the HCDO "by saying the right things."

The truth is that the vagueness of a poorly written state law favors the mayor. The danger is that anything can happen in a courtroom. Can Healy avoid a disaster?

Former Jersey City Mayor Gerald McCann believes he can. McCann agrees with those who say that the mayor's actions "do not involve or touch upon his office," to paraphrase a part of the law that governs this issue.

McCann has some expertise because it was Manzo's lawsuit that pretty much prevented the former mayor from running for mayor again in 2001. In that case, it wasn't the phrase "involve or touch" that was the deciding factor, but McCann was still banned from the mayoral race while on probation in a fraud conviction.

The first argument by the defense will be that Manzo, or anyone else, has "no standing" in bringing a lawsuit. Once past this hurdle, "involve and touch" comes into play.

In the papers filed, Manzo attorney W. Timothy Howe of Raritan wrote:

"The New Jersey Supreme Court has interpreted the phrase 'touches the office' very broadly. Specifically, the New Jersey Supreme Court established the standard: 'When the infraction casts a shadow over the employee as to make his or her continued service appear incompatible with the traits of trustworthiness, honesty and obedience to law and order, then forfeiture is appropriate.'"

It will all be up to a judge, possibly Monmouth County's Assignment Superior Court Judge Lawrence Lawson. Familiar with the case, Lawson is the judge who refused to reinstate unsuccessful disorderly person charges Healy brought against Bradley Beach arresting Police Office Terry Browning.

One big question in all of this is why Bradley Beach tried to prevent any news media from obtaining an original police report of the Healy incident, even under Freedom of Information requests? It was finally obtained by The Jersey Journal from the state Supreme Court filings in Healy's First Amendment appeal of his conviction.

Why did police or local prosecutors not reveal in the original trial that part of the report that indicated Healy asked police to sweep the matter "under the rug?" It illustrates just how abstract is the concept of "prosecution."

There's nothing more interesting than starting a municipal election campaign with lawyers and hard feelings.

AN IMPORTANT ENGAGEMENT

On Sept. 4, a Thursday evening, Bayonne Councilman and Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone made his excuses for not being able to attend a Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority (BLRA) session that evening, when developer Fidelco would try to switch its planned condos on the former Military Ocean Terminal to rentals. Chiappone told fellow local officials that he had to attend an important state legislative event, according to the Peninsula City locals.

The event turned out to be the kickoff at the NFL Giants opener against the Washington Redskins. Luckily for Chiappone, mayoral candidate and Police Director Mark Smith asked for and received a postponement of the Fidelco issue until all City Council people could attend. The Giants won.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO BE MAYOR?

Bayonne's special mayoral election is in November. As of last week, we have a retired merchant seaman, Bayonne's Raymond Rokicki, former municipal court judge Patrick Conaghan and city Police Director Mark Smith running.

Yitzhak David, a political neophyte, announced he was going for it under the mantra "Revolution Not Change" - until he realized he had too much on his plate to get involved and decided they could start the revolution without him. David released all his delegates in support of Smith.

Now former Mayor Richard Rutkowski has thrown his chapeau into the circle. Since the Hi-Hat is gone, he probably wants something to do. The former mayor, 1990-1994, also has the advantage of having a park, formerly North 40 Park, named after him. Let's hope his interest was not the reason the park was the target of graffiti - only kidding.

Is this the field? Anyone hear from former Mayor Leonard Kiczek?

SOMEONE HAS TO WRITE THIS

- Hudson County Republican Party Chairman Jose Arango is demanding that the Hudson County Democratic Organization apologize for Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's comment: "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig." Arango says it's an insult against all women in the county.

OK, but Arango will have to get the mea culpa from his City Hall job boss, Mayor Healy, who is also the HCDO chairman. Good luck with that.

- Hoboken Mayor David Roberts went to see Union City Mayor and state Sen. Brian P. Stack two days after Labor Day to seek support for a possible run for re-election in the Mile Square City. Let's just say Stack was noncommittal.

Roberts had once said he expected to announce his political intentions soon after summer ended. Well, they're already selling Halloween candy.

- With Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell picking a fight with a porn convention, we wonder if this means the end to a tradition. Elwell and Hoboken developer Frank "Pupie" Raia co-host an annual party during the League of Municipalities convention. Many people will miss those printed invitations to party at the Deja Vu, a go-go (wink-wink) nightclub.

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 21287177176630.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/9/13 14:50

Re: Fulop has stepped in by accusing Manzo of trying to win the May mayoral election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, but you must admit that the qoute:

"Fulop has stepped in by accusing Manzo of trying to win the May mayoral election"

Really is more grabbing than:

"A lot is hanging on definition of 'involve or touch'"

Posted on: 2008/9/13 13:49

Re: Fulop has stepped in by accusing Manzo of trying to win the May mayoral election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey grovepoint,you write your own headlines to the stories now.
Post them like there printed you little weasel.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 13:03

Fulop has stepped in by accusing Manzo of trying to win the May mayoral election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey Journal
Saturday, September 13, 2008

The other shoe has dropped. Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo had his lawyer file a lawsuit Thursday attempting to force the Monmouth County Prosecutor to remove Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy from office - over the circumstances surrounding his 2006 Bradley Beach conviction.

The reaction is expected and has started. Initially, it will be a political attack on Manzo and anyone who dares mention forfeiture.

A letter writing campaign has started with the usual suspects supporting Healy. Retired police detectives, Hudson County Sheriff Juan Perez (who writes a very eloquent letter that hasn't rarely been seen from his typing fingers, it's almost as if an accomplished letter writer like Bob Knapp penned it) recounts stories about the wonderful human being named Healy.

We're waiting for a letters of support from City Council President Mariano Vega - heir apparent if Healy is removed - and state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, which will cinch her backing of Healy.

The mayor, who denies he tried to use his political influence in Bradley Beach, has operatives who are not above calling state legislators and even the governor's and state Attorney General's offices trying to elicit support.

Even Councilman Steven Fulop has stepped in by accusing Manzo of trying to win the May mayoral election in the courtroom instead of the ballot box. Manzo said Fulop is auditioning to replace Healy with the HCDO "by saying the right things."

The truth is that the vagueness of a poorly written state law favors the mayor. The danger is that anything can happen in a courtroom. Can Healy avoid a disaster?

Former Jersey City Mayor Gerald McCann believes he can. McCann agrees with those who say that the mayor's actions "do not involve or touch upon his office," to paraphrase a part of the law that governs this issue.

McCann has some expertise because it was Manzo's lawsuit that pretty much prevented the former mayor from running for mayor again in 2001. In that case, it wasn't the phrase "involve or touch" that was the deciding factor, but McCann was still banned from the mayoral race while on probation in a fraud conviction.

The first argument by the defense will be that Manzo, or anyone else, has "no standing" in bringing a lawsuit. Once past this hurdle, "involve and touch" comes into play.

CONTINUED
http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 21287177176630.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/9/13 11:56

Re: One foot in front of the other.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/9/13 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This was not posted by Grovepath

MANZO: OUST HEALY
Mayor fires back: He's 'abusing the courts'
Friday, September 12, 2008
By AGUSTIN C. TORRES
JOURNAL POLITICAL EDITOR

A lawsuit attempting to remove Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy from office - over his Bradley Beach conviction last year - was filed by former Assemblyman Lou Manzo yesterday in Monmouth County Superior Court.

W. Timothy Howes, Manzo's attorney, said yesterday that the petition was filed in Monmouth County and courtesy copies were sent to Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin, state Attorney General Anne Milgram and the Office of the City Clerk of Jersey City.

The lawsuit claims that forfeiture of office is mandated as a result of the mayor's words and actions in connection with his conviction on charges of obstruction of administrative law and resisting arrest. Manzo contends that Healy tried to use the power of his office to gain special treatment from the arresting officers.

"Lou Manzo is running his political agenda through the courts, wasting taxpayer money and the court's valuable time and resources," said Healy's spokeswoman, Jennifer Morrill." Mr. Manzo is abusing the courts with a frivolous lawsuit to pursue his own unbridled political ambition."

Manzo was defeated by Healy in a special election for mayor in 2004. Manzo has said he is considering another run for mayor next year.

Among the cases cited in court papers is the state's removal this summer of Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone. Rone was accused of using the influence of her office when her nephew was stopped by police in Newark.

In the wee hours of June 17, 2006, Healy intervened in a dispute between a couple outside a bar owned by his sister and brother-in-law. The two police officers who responded testified at the trial that Healy ignored several requests to step aside so they could interview the young woman and at one point assumed a "boxing stance" to fight one of the officers.

Last year, when Healy unsuccessfully attempted to have charges reinstated against a Bradley Beach police officer, Valentin filed papers in response, citing some grand jury testimony by police officers.

The officers accused the Jersey City mayor of trying to throw his political weight around, saying Healy threatened the officers, demanded that they call their police chief, told them he was the mayor of Jersey City and asked several times that the officers sweep the whole matter under the rug without charges.

Healy has denied making those statements, but it is expected that Manzo's attorney will use the police testimony to bolster the argument that Valentin should seek Healy's removal.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal/stories/in ... 22120072284420.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/9/12 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bradley Beach incident will be hammered more
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Augie Torres - Political Insider Column

Shhhhhhh!

The hope of the Jersey City and state Democratic Party hierarchy is that they can just keep quiet and wait out the squall over whether Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy will have to forfeit his office. Perhaps the rainbow will come out and no one will have to decide who is lying - the mayor or Bradley Beach law enforcement.

Unfortunately for the mayor, a jury decided he was. (If you want to get past the background stuff, then skip down to the seventh paragraph that begins with "This alleged naughty behavior . ")

Healy is appealing his case to the state Supreme Court after losing in appeal and in other courts. It has triggered an argument over whether Healy should be held to the same standards set for Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone, who was forced from her elected office this summer.

Like Rone, Healy was found guilty of obstruction of justice, which involved a summer of 2006 altercation outside a Bradley Beach tavern.

What didn't come out in the trial were quotes attributed to him by police after being cuffed, and which he denies. Healy is accused of threatening police officers, demanding that they call their police chief in the early morning hours, telling them he was the Jersey City mayor and asking that the police sweep the whole matter under the rug without charges.

This alleged naughty behavior is being ignored by county prosecutors in Hudson and Monmouth counties, Democratic appointees. Hudson Prosecutor Ed DeFazio said the incident and conviction didn't touch Healy's office.

But two days after the arrest, Healy took his office with him to sign a Bradley Beach police statement about the incident and arrest. Besides defense attorney Peter Lamparello and his wife, Maureen, the mayor was accompanied by what he called a security detail, Officers Peter Earla and Bill Rawley. Then, Police Chief Robert Troy also came down to the Shore to support Healy.

What is surprising about all this is the silence of the state legislative Black Caucus. Rone's attorney brought up the similarity of the Healy arrest and how his client was being punished while the Jersey City mayor was getting a free pass. Is it because Healy, chairman of the Hudson County Democratic Organization, is also New Jersey co-ordinator of Barack Obama's presidential campaign?

It seems that Healy has been gently pushed into the background by the Obama people while this Bradley Beach issue remains alive. It may be why when Jon Bon Jovi and his wife Dorothea hosted more than 100 people for a Democratic Party fundraising dinner on their mansion lawn by the Navesink River last week, Healy was not among the guests, although his co-coordinator, Newark Mayor Cory Booker attended.

Will Bradley Beach quietly go away, the way the Dems hope?

Sorry, but no. Former Assemblyman Lou Manzo is the person who has resurrected this as an issue. Manzo is considering his own run for mayor. Look for legal action, to be filed this week by his lawyers, that is expected to start pushing the issue of Healy's possible forfeiture of his elected office.

The only question is in what county will the legal action begin? Betting here is that it will be in Monmouth County. Healy has not done well there.

The hot potato issue may be ready to become mashed.

THE CRUISE TO NOWHERE

Healy had a chance to spend some quality time with the self-described ethical Gov. Jon Corzine Thursday evening on the restored yacht The Valiant, which calls the Liberty State Park piers in Jersey City home.

The occasion was a fundraising, and sort of a birthday, event for state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham. Getting Corzine out on the big boat was pretty impressive. Among those on the voyage were fellow Democrats, Senate President Richard Codey, state Sen. Ray Lesniak of Union, and 32nd District Sen. and North Bergen Mayor Nick Sacco of North Bergen.

No doubt they all talked about the fun they all had at the Democratic Party's national convention in Denver - yeah, that's it.

Actually, Healy backers say that in Denver they sewed up the Cunningham support for the May election. If true, it means she will not run for mayor. Hmmmm.

On The Valiant, Healy apparently couldn't resist singing "Happy Birthday" to Cunningham, according to a yacht passenger source. The mayor had already given her a gift in Denver, Ward A Councilman Michael Sottolano's seat.

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 21027929308070.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2008/9/10 19:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/20 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Healy succinctly describes the Bradley Beach nepotism that he fell victim to at the hands of the police department. We know Mayor Healy knows how nepotim works, was it not his cousin P.O. Freidbott (who the mayor approved coming over on a lateral transfer despite his less than stellar record on the Middletown PD) who has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of a baby on the the skyway and the permanent crippling of the babies mother. This was all done while Freidbott was drunk. Common denominator between Healy and Cousin Freidbotts problems issssssssssssssss ALCOHOL. We are just fortunate that the Police officers that the Mayor confronted were men, and not babies or the result may have been much different.

Posted on: 2008/9/10 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm reposting this because it was difficult to find - tacked on to the end of a different JJ article.

Stakes for Healy are as high as his pension figures
Saturday, September 06, 2008

"Y ou got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run."

These lyrics may be running through the mind of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Should Healy be held to the same standards prescribed for Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone, he will face the danger of losing a hefty pension if, like Rone, he is forced from elected office.

Rone was removed from her office because in December 2006 she intervened when Rutgers-Newark University police stopped her nephew for a traffic violation.

In a 2007 hearing where Healy unsuccessfully attempted to reinstate dismissed charges against a Bradley Beach police officer, Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin filed papers releasing some grand jury testimony. Police had claimed Healy tried to intimidate them while enroute to and at the station house after an altercation outside a Bradley Beach tavern in the summer of 2006.

Police testified that Healy threatened that officers would be sorry, demanded they call their police chief, Lenny Guida, and asked that the whole matter be "swept under the rug."

Healy vehemently denies making the alleged statements.

It all comes down to whether the mayor is lying or the cops perjured themselves - and no one of authority wants to find out the truth.

Should a prosecutor decide they will look into the possibility of forfeiture of office, it would be too late for Healy to back out, to fold. If like Rone, he is forced from office, then he loses the pension he built up as a municipal judge, councilman and mayor. As mayor, he earns about $125,000 annually and would be eligible for a pension of 50 to 60 percent of that figure.

Healy would avoids losing that pension should he decide to resign from office - before any probe into possible forfeiture began. Once a review started, Healy would have to play the hand he was dealt.

A resignation would please challengers to Healy's office in May, including former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, who seems to be the point man in forcing an investigation of Healy's arrest.

Right now, Healy should feel safe. It appears his case has become a political hot potato. Let's look at the subtext of this case.

Healy is not only mayor, but he is chairman of the powerful Hudson County Democratic Organization and he is a co-coordinator for New Jersey, with Newark Mayor Cory Booker, for Democratic Party presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Hudson County Prosecutor Ed DeFazio believes the Healy arrest doesn't touch the Jersey City mayor's office. The feeling is that the venue is in Monmouth County.

Monmouth Prosecutor Luis Valentin won't talk to the media, and issued a "no comment."

Too bad, because Valentin felt strongly about the case when he filed the following papers on May 18, 2007:

" . Mayor Healy repeatedly asked Officer Browning to sweep the incident 'under the rug' without the need for formal charges. When Officer Browning refused to treat Mayor Healy differently because of his official status, the mayor warned: 'You are going to be sorry for this whole incident.' Particularly in light of the grand jury's findings, it can reasonably be perceived that the criminal charges the Healys signed against Officer Browning are an effort to make good on the mayor's admonition, i.e., were retaliatory. Moreover, it could reasonably be perceived, given the Healys' statements the night of the incident, that they filed complaints in an attempt to use the courts to project an image to the public that they were not intoxicated and disorderly, but, rather were innocent victims. Consistent with the grand jury's conclusion, this would be an inaccurate image ."

A cynic, ahem, may be troubled by the cone of silence. Valentin is one of those people U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez has had in mind to replace U.S. Attorney Chris Christie - should Obama win the presidency. Wonder how it would look if Valentin went after the HCDO chairman in the middle of a national election?

New Jersey Attorney General Anne Milgram handed out the customary "no comment." Milgram's boss, Gov. Jon Corzine, will have to rely on the Hudson County Democratic chairman should he seek re-election.

The state attorney general sets the house rules. All these county prosecutors take their orders from her office.

So, will anyone cut the cards or will Healy not ante up?

Posted on: 2008/9/8 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm fighting for truth, won't stop until I get justice
Friday, September 05, 2008
BY MAYOR JERRAMIAH HEALY

SPECIAL TO THE JOURNAL

A s a former defense attorney, prosecutor and chief judge in Jersey City Municipal Court, respect for the law and those who enforce it has always been a core principle of mine. I have always been a strong ally of the police and law enforcement officials.

However, another principle of mine is that those entrusted with authority should not abuse it. The abuse of power is not something that should be taken lightly. That is why I have repeatedly stated my innocence in the events that happened two years ago in Bradley Beach. That night, I witnessed a young couple fighting outside of a bar and I did my best to bring peace to the situation. When police arrived moments later, surprisingly, I was the one who wound up handcuffed, thrown to the ground and maced while my hands were behind my back.

From the outset, the cards were stacked against me. The original domestic combatants were the daughter and future son-in-law of Tom Volante, a former Bradley Beach police captain and the councilman in charge of public safety. The police chief, Volante's appointee, was his own first cousin. Both of the arresting officers had served under the immediate supervision of the police chief and only three months prior had served beneath then-Captain Volante. Both Volante, and his cousin, Police Chief Lenny Guida, are related to the couple who I tried to stop from fighting.

In recent weeks, the conviction of Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone on a disorderly persons charge and her ultimate expulsion from office, have been compared to my situation in Bradley Beach. Like I have said before, these two cases are polar opposites. In Newark, Rone was accused of using her authority over police officers operating in her city to gain a benefit for one of her relatives, her nephew who had been stopped by police. She was videotaped making demands upon the police to not give her nephew a ticket because she was the councilwoman.

According to all parties, I interceded as a "good Samaritan" to break-up a domestic dispute outside of Jersey City and was acting as a private citizen outside of my official capacity. Hudson County Prosecutor Ed DeFazio is quoted as saying in The Jersey Journal: "The situation in Bradley Beach in no way touched on Mayor Healy's public employment or public position." In fact, I had no power or authority in Bradley Beach.

In trial testimony, Bradley Beach Police Officer Terry Browning testified that he "never found out until we were back at headquarters, or I'm sorry, until he was actually in the patrol vehicle that one of the other officer I believe it was another officer who told me that was, you know, who that is. I said no. He said that's the mayor of Jersey City."

The prosecution's main witness, Officer Browning, admitted on the stand that it was not from me, but rather from another officer that he learned I was the mayor of Jersey City. The statements made by the officers and attributed to me during grand jury testimony and quoted in your newspaper, were never made by me.

This is an officer who gave conflicting testimony at best and outright perjured himself at worst when testifying about the most egregious event during this incident - when I was handcuffed and subsequently maced. In his police incident report, in his grand jury testimony and under direct examination, Officer Browning says he did not mace and handcuff me until after several additional officers arrived. But under cross-examination, Officer Browning dramatically contradicts himself, saying that he already sprayed and secured me by the time that those officers arrived.

This is only one of several inconsistencies made by the arresting officers, Officer Browning and Officer Major, during the trial, which should have greatly diminished their credibility.

In closing, while recognizing that our judicial system is not perfect, I also know that it is the best in the world and I will continue to pursue judicial remedies, even though it may not be in my best political interest. Sometimes, principle trumps politics.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Mayor Healy was convicted on June 27, 2007, of resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law. He lost his appeal in September 2007 and has filed to bring his case before the New Jersey Supreme Court.

====================

Stakes for Healy are as high as his pension figures
Saturday, September 06, 2008

"Y ou got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run."

These lyrics may be running through the mind of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Should Healy be held to the same standards prescribed for Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone, he will face the danger of losing a hefty pension if, like Rone, he is forced from elected office.

Rone was removed from her office because in December 2006 she intervened when Rutgers-Newark University police stopped her nephew for a traffic violation.

In a 2007 hearing where Healy unsuccessfully attempted to reinstate dismissed charges against a Bradley Beach police officer, Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin filed papers releasing some grand jury testimony. Police had claimed Healy tried to intimidate them while enroute to and at the station house after an altercation outside a Bradley Beach tavern in the summer of 2006.

Police testified that Healy threatened that officers would be sorry, demanded they call their police chief, Lenny Guida, and asked that the whole matter be "swept under the rug."

Healy vehemently denies making the alleged statements.

It all comes down to whether the mayor is lying or the cops perjured themselves - and no one of authority wants to find out the truth.

Should a prosecutor decide they will look into the possibility of forfeiture of office, it would be too late for Healy to back out, to fold. If like Rone, he is forced from office, then he loses the pension he built up as a municipal judge, councilman and mayor. As mayor, he earns about $125,000 annually and would be eligible for a pension of 50 to 60 percent of that figure.

Healy would avoids losing that pension should he decide to resign from office - before any probe into possible forfeiture began. Once a review started, Healy would have to play the hand he was dealt.

A resignation would please challengers to Healy's office in May, including former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, who seems to be the point man in forcing an investigation of Healy's arrest.

Right now, Healy should feel safe. It appears his case has become a political hot potato. Let's look at the subtext of this case.

Healy is not only mayor, but he is chairman of the powerful Hudson County Democratic Organization and he is a co-coordinator for New Jersey, with Newark Mayor Cory Booker, for Democratic Party presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Hudson County Prosecutor Ed DeFazio believes the Healy arrest doesn't touch the Jersey City mayor's office. The feeling is that the venue is in Monmouth County.

Monmouth Prosecutor Luis Valentin won't talk to the media, and issued a "no comment."

Too bad, because Valentin felt strongly about the case when he filed the following papers on May 18, 2007:

" . Mayor Healy repeatedly asked Officer Browning to sweep the incident 'under the rug' without the need for formal charges. When Officer Browning refused to treat Mayor Healy differently because of his official status, the mayor warned: 'You are going to be sorry for this whole incident.' Particularly in light of the grand jury's findings, it can reasonably be perceived that the criminal charges the Healys signed against Officer Browning are an effort to make good on the mayor's admonition, i.e., were retaliatory. Moreover, it could reasonably be perceived, given the Healys' statements the night of the incident, that they filed complaints in an attempt to use the courts to project an image to the public that they were not intoxicated and disorderly, but, rather were innocent victims. Consistent with the grand jury's conclusion, this would be an inaccurate image ."

A cynic, ahem, may be troubled by the cone of silence. Valentin is one of those people U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez has had in mind to replace U.S. Attorney Chris Christie - should Obama win the presidency. Wonder how it would look if Valentin went after the HCDO chairman in the middle of a national election?

New Jersey Attorney General Anne Milgram handed out the customary "no comment." Milgram's boss, Gov. Jon Corzine, will have to rely on the Hudson County Democratic chairman should he seek re-election.

The state attorney general sets the house rules. All these county prosecutors take their orders from her office.

So, will anyone cut the cards or will Healy not ante up?

Posted on: 2008/9/6 9:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
Every place has a town drunk. Ours just happens to be the mayor.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 15:03

Healy appealing to Supreme Court
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy appealing to Supreme Court

Thursday, September 04, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is appealing his 2007 disorderly persons conviction to the state Supreme Court, but is no longer pursuing criminal charges against one of the Bradley Beach cops who arrested him, court officials said.

Healy filed a "petition for certification" Aug. 4 to initiate his appeal of a unanimous three-judge panel, according to a spokeswoman for the Administrative Office for the Courts.

The Supreme Court is likely to decide in October whether to hear the case, the spokeswoman said, noting only 10 percent of appeals clear that hurdle.

Healy's attorney, Philip Matsikoudis, could not be reached to comment on the basis for the appeal.

With the legal fight continuing, officials confirmed Healy still has not paid the $828 in fines and court fees that he owes in the Jersey Shore town.

Meanwhile, the 20-day deadline has passed for the mayor to challenge a decision blocking his attempt to charge Police Officer Terry Browning with assaulting him in the late-night dispute outside a bar that led to Healy being maced and arrested in June 2006.

Healy and his wife Maureen lost an appeal Aug. 5 of a judge's finding that Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin did not abuse his discretion when he dismissed their complaint against Browning in December 2006.

The Healys have filed a civil suit in federal court against Browning and his partner, William Major, alleging the use of excessive force.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 6:45

'Can you sweep this under the rug?'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Shore cops say Healy wanted it 'swept under rug'
Wednesday, September 03, 2008

"Y ou are going to be sorry for this whole incident."

- "Do yourself a favor and get your chief down here before this goes any further because I can't believe you don't know who I am."

- "I can't believe you maced me. You had no reason to do that. I wasn't resisting. I wasn't fighting you. I didn't do anything wrong. I am the mayor of Jersey City. I was a judge, I was a lawyer, I am a good personal friend with your Chief (Lenny Guida)."

- " . I'm sorry. Call the chief and let's get this rectified without any charges. For the good of your town, for the good of your department, for the good of my city, we need to resolve this without charges."

- "Can you sweep this under the rug?"

These were some of the comments made by Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy while being transported to the Bradley Beach police headquarters, quoted in testimony by several police officers before a grand jury that eventually indicted him on charges of resisting arrest and obstructing the administration of law.

These are statements that did not see much, if any, light of day in the municipal court prosecution of Healy.

"I never made any of those statements," Healy said yesterday. "I'm from Jersey City - I couldn't influence anyone down there. I have no juice in that community. It's completely untrue."

THE ARREST

In the summer of 2006, Healy tried to intervene in a couple's quarrel outside a bar, Barry's, which was owned then by his sister in the Shore community. Jeff Barnes and Jacqueline Volante later testified against the mayor and said his speech was slurred and that he was intoxicated and reeked of alcohol and was told on several occasions to go away.

The mayor was arrested after being pepper-sprayed and handcuffed in front of a crowd of Healy's friends and relatives. Police testified that the crowd was unruly and threatening, and cursing. Some of the members of the crowd testified to something different before the grand jury, saying they only saw police pepper-spraying the mayor and holding him down with their knees in his back.

OTHER EVIDENCE

Bradley Beach Prosecutor Jason Shamy said the only testimony he was interested in bringing to municipal court concerned any evidence up to the point of arrest.

The more interesting "evidence" and comments that were allegedly made by the mayor - in an attempt to use his influence to intimidate local law enforcement - came after Healy was cuffed and placed in a squad car and brought to the Bradley Beach police headquarters.

This was evident in papers filed on May 18, 2007 by the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office of Luis Valentin. The documents were an answer to Healy's and his wife Maureen's attempt to reinstate dismissed disorderly charges they made against Browning. They provided a peek into grand jury testimony that led to Healy's indictment on disorderly charges. Some of the testimony start this column.

Based on these documents, which were asked for and obtained, Assemblyman Louis Manzo of Jersey City, who is operating his own public advocacy office, sent a letter to Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio asking that the testimony be reviewed and used to oust Healy from office.

Yesterday, DeFazio said he has not budged from his stance that Healy's arrest "does not touch upon his office." DeFazio said he never saw either the grand jury testimony or the documentation filed by Monmouth Prosecutor Valentin.

"It is not my jurisdiction," he said. "The arrest and trial all took place in Monmouth County."

At least DeFazio called back. Valentin did not return a telephone call. A spokesman for state Attorney General Anne Milgram issued a "no comment" response.

MANZO'S RONE ARGUMENT

Manzo, who may be seeking Healy's seat in May, says he sees no difference between what the Jersey City mayor allegedly did and the circumstances surrounding the removal this summer from elected office of Newark Councilwoman Dana Rone. Rone was convicted of obstruction of justice when she tried to intimidate some Rutgers University police in Newark after they made a traffic stop involving her nephew.

Grand jury testimony by Shore police officers has the Jersey City mayor demanding that Browning, if he knew what was good for him, call the Bradley Beach police chief, according to the county prosecutor. More damaging was testimony from police that on numerous occasions while in custody Healy asked that the whole matter be "swept under the rug."

Healy defense attorney Ralph Lamparello dismissed the police grand jury testimony about sweeping the whole mess under the floor covering. Lamparello said he believes his client when he said the police version never happened, adding that in the Rone case there was video evidence and Healy did not have that benefit.

Healy said the Rone case "is not just as different as apples and oranges, but sausages and peppers."

WHO'S GOT 'JUICE'?

The mayor added that if anyone had "juice" it was Bradley Beach who flew Barnes and Volante, who had since married, up to New Jersey from Florida to testify against him. He said the couple had relatives in municipal government, including the Police Department.

The mayor also complained that when he and his wife filed charges against Bradley Beach Police Officer Terry Browning, whom they say was responsible for her falling and being injured, that the complaint never saw the light of day. Healy says he never saw her fall, although it was a given that she was injured.

Manzo suggested Healy's "juice" was his sister, owner of the bar, where the Bradley Beach police chief eats.

Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Healy, responded to Manzo's letter to DeFazio in the usual Jersey City way:

"These are the rantings of a disgruntled four-time loser who has come up with a frivolous argument to get into the Mayor's Office through the back door knowing the people of Jersey City will never elect him. Mr. Manzo is also frustrated because Mayor Healy would not support him as the candidate for the state Senate and that when Mr. Manzo pleaded with the mayor to keep his personal friend on the city payroll, despite his excessive absenteeism, the mayor would not do so."

Manzo said Morrill must mean three-time loser because she worked for him in his 2004 mayoral bid.

Morrill denied that, saying she was never paid and only helped a girlfriend one time who needed some help with Manzo's literature.

You know it will not end here. This is not a "Rashomon" moment where people see the same thing in different ways. What it seems to come down to is one side or the other is lying.

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 371.xml&coll=3&thispage=1

Posted on: 2008/9/3 16:02

Re: Healy to appeal conviction again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Vig~ That comment about his father was a cheap shot and the information about is fathers death was lacking some crucial details. Not sure if you phrased it that way on purpose or you just don't know the details. Dislike someone...you're entitled to your opinion, but attacking their parents, kids etc. is totally uncool!

Mayor Healy's father died when the Mayor was a young boy from injuries he received while trying to break up a fight outside of a bar he owned. He was struck with a bat and died because of it. He was not part of a "bar room brawl". The man was killed trying to help another person from being killed.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree nteresting story here though. Even if Jerry had a couple in him the mayor was sincere in trying to break up the dispute in front of the family bar. Perhaps it was one for the Gipper or for his father. To have the little memories of your father being killed at an early age (both father and son) in losing him Jerry may have taken over where his father left off.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Vig~ That comment about his father was a cheap shot and the information about is fathers death was lacking some crucial details. Not sure if you phrased it that way on purpose or you just don't know the details. Dislike someone...you're entitled to your opinion, but attacking their parents, kids etc. is totally uncool!

Mayor Healy's father died when the Mayor was a young boy from injuries he received while trying to break up a fight outside of a bar he owned. He was struck with a bat and died because of it. He was not part of a "bar room brawl". The man was killed trying to help another person from being killed.

I have heard the details and that is exactly my point. It was by no means an attack on his father or family. My point, as you and FE should see, is that some matters should be left to the police to handle. The mayor should know that is very dangerous to get involved in someone else's fight especially outside a bar when you yourself are drunk! If he had been sober he would probably have acted accordingly. Afterall he was formerly a judge and I am guessing has seen his fair share of criminal cases. Time for the mayor to stay home and utilize the netflix. Time to grow up.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/8 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:
Yes, he is a mayor and he should conduct himself in an appropriate manor at all times..but haven't we all had moments like that? The only difference is that I know better than to run for public office.

It's one thing if you are a college age kid or in your early twenties but a man in his fifties? He is diabetic, a father of grown children and a former judge whose father was killed in a bar fight. What kind of dysfunction does this behavior reveal to those who pay his salary? How does he make proper decisions if his judgement is clouded by alcohol? Time for someone else to get a shot at mayor while this guy goes off somewhere to dry out and grow up.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 2:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, he is a mayor and he should conduct himself in an appropriate manor at all times..but haven't we all had moments like that? The only difference is that I know better than to run for public office.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 0:47

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017