Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Central Air Contractor

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/7 6:10
Group:
Registered Users
Ice Kold Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating---located in Bayonne, N.J.
number should be listed in Yellow Pages.
Good work and pricing.
ask for Jim
He is one of our sponsors at the local Little League.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 6:49
Gene

Re: Central heat and cooling.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry I did not read each post in detail but I saw the topic and wanted to respond and say that I have a 750 sqft. apartment and just installed a Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" mini-split ductless system. I cannot tell you how much I love it and how it TOTALLY ROCKS!!! It's completely quiet, cheaper to run than window units or central air...plus it heats in the winter too.

The indoor units are getting a wee bit smaller and better looking, but honestly to me they look so much better than ductwork. The outdoor condenser is quiet as well. The comfort this system provides is INCREDIBLE....heat, AC, dehumidifying, etc.

I am lucky enough to have a brother-in-law who is an HVAC guy--- he did the work completely for free. I paid $3000 for two indoor units plus the condenser. My bro-in-law told me the work to put it in would have been about $7K.

Not cheap at first but totally WORTH IT in the long run!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:42

Re: Its getting HOT and I need an A/C repair person
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
I would also recommend Royal Haeting and Cooling. Don and Chris have done excellent work in several of my apartment units and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 16:05

Its getting HOT and I need an A/C repair person
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please help. Need to have my wall unit repaired before it gets too HOT. Can anyone refer a contractor.. THX

Posted on: 2008/6/1 1:37

Re: Central Air Contractor

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/15 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Tamard. Ive used Royal Heating in the past. They are a small family company ( father and son). Don's the father and Chris is the son. Great guys...Never had a problem with them. They were always there on time and did great work. I moved to South Jersey now and the guys down here are horrible. No one calls you back or shows up when they tell you. I miss living in the city, but my job moved me down here and the commute would kill me.

Good luck.
Mike.

Their number is 201-434-0315. I think that they have a web site too? www.royalheatingandcooling.com

Posted on: 2008/4/13 12:48

Central Air Contractor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello

Does anyone have any recent recommendations for a Central Air Contractor?

Thanks in advance...

Posted on: 2008/4/10 15:00

Re: Heating/A/C Contractor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/11 19:06
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Check this out:

http://pseg.com/customer/home/install/protect/non_contract.jsp

I don't have any experience with them directly but my condo association does and has good things to say about utilizing their plans.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 14:52

Heating/A/C Contractor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/11 7:11
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone suggest a good heating contractor? I have 2 units that are heating and a/c (heat pumps) - I just need to have some routine maintenance. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2008/2/28 12:55

Re: estimates and contractor recommendations for central air/heat or ductless heat/air
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
if you 're doing a rehab or renovations on your property it is a good investment...its pricey now but with all new homes and even older ones being remodeled converting to HVAC (Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning), your home resale value will increase...just a thought...I am currently my home and throwing out the old monster heaters......it will def be worth it in the end.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 19:45

Re: estimates and contractor recommendations for central air/heat or ductless heat/air
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I have a 4 story row house as well with no duct work in it. Last summer I got quotes from several companies to install either a ductless mini-split air conditioning system or a mini-duct (high velocity) air conditioning system. Amazingly enough, all of the quotes came in in the $25,000 range. I decided to go with window air conditioners at under $2,000.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 18:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 7:43
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
1. Central Air (Forced Air)
We have a central forced air (standard type) heating and cooling unit on the roof of our 3 story. It works, but the first floor does not heat/cool as well because it is far from unit on the roof. Our house is very well insulated so it is not a big deal. The unit can range in cost from 6 to 10 thousand depending on your needs. Then there is installation. That would be very high for a 4 floor house. There would be a lot of drywall work to cover all the large ducts.

2. Ductless
We have a store that has one of these systems. It works fine for the space of 1000 square feet, but it is ugly. You would need to have these units in multiple areas of the house with the condenser outside and hooked up with what look like black garden hoses. Our single unit was around 7 thousand.

3. Central Air (High Velocity)
I would give this high consideration. Not many people know about this type of central air system, but you may be able to find someone who can give a quote and install it. The air passes through 2 inch hoses that can easily be run through walls and floors. It is great for homes that do not have the space for large ducts. The air exits through small vents, often looking similar to what you see on an airplane, pumping out air like a leaf blower. I have seen one only once and was very impressed.

Here is a link talking about the system.
http://reviews.houseinprogress.net/archives/000646.html

good luck

Posted on: 2008/1/29 18:15

estimates and contractor recommendations for central air/heat or ductless heat/air
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/2 10:50
Group:
Registered Users
Hello

we have a row house (4 floors above ground) that has no good heating/cooling source - we use the gas burners in the old stove or the electric baseboard heaters in the winter and window boxes for cooling in the summer.

we are looking into central air/heat or a ductless heat/air solutions - anyone have recommendations for contractors who specialize in this kind of work? i would like to get some estimates.

also, if anyone has done this kind of work in the past - any general sense of how much it costs is also appreciated?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/1/29 17:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/7 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
I have to chime in on Airaton as well - they are beyond dreadful. They installed our Unico system last year and what was specced out as a two week job turned into an EIGHT WEEK NIGHTMARE. They never showed up, impossible to get a hold of, etc etc. I complained repeatedly to the Unico outfit directly but they didn't care either. I can't scare you off them enough.

I have used Royal Heating for several furnaces/hot water tanks (in different houses!) and they are great. Really great. I don't think they do the Unico installs, but they did quote us regular central air in a minimally invasive approach. It was around 7-8K - half of the Unico install. But there wouldn't be vents in various hallways, bathrooms, etc. so we didn't go that route.

Unico vs. split system, I think Unico is more expensive and less noticeable once in- it's small holes in the ceiling or floor that the air comes through. The split system is more like a window unit in that it is a large box but it's in your wall instead of a window. We're getting that put in the first floor. You can control each unit individually - so you can have it on in one place and not the other, so it's probably more economical as well. I've used split systems on holiday and they work great.

ETA I don't know if you have a choice in an Unico install in this area. You could investigate Spacepak which is a similar product (miniducts).

Posted on: 2007/6/25 2:23

Re: Heating and Cooling installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I have a two story brick detached house that I am looking to have the UNICO system installed. Before I take time off from work, can anyone who has had these systems installed give me a ball park estimate of how much you paid?
Also, based on the stellar review of Air A Ton, can anyone recommend a different contractor to do the work?
I sort of understand the difference between the Unico system and the Sanyo, but which of the two is less visually intrusive? And is there a substantial cost difference between the two? Thanks for all your help in advance....

Posted on: 2007/5/30 13:20

Heating and Cooling installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
About a week ago there was an ad for a heating/cooling installer. It said something about 2-ton central A/C units fully installed for $1,595. I don't see the ad anymore. Does anyone have any info (phone # or email address) on this person?

Also, can anyone recommend a reliable heating/cooling professional?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/5/16 15:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/13 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
Actually the ac company "ICS" did air conditioning work 2 years ago for the office I work in Chelsea. The owner of my company always claims that they are the only good company he continues to have a relationship with after the construction. Anytime there is a problem they respond ASAP - I know, I'm the one who has to call them.
I don't know what you plan to do at your house, but from what I know I would definetly recommend this company.
Good Luck!

Posted on: 2007/3/13 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Royal Heating (ask for Don or his son Chris)
10 MLK Drive
201-434-0315

These guys get my highest recommendation -- great work, fair price, and they respond quickly to any issues, even years after I last paid them. But I can't comment on their work in brownstones. I'm not sure if they even deal with the high-velocity flex-tube stuff which you might need in such a system. My job was a 2 story wood framed house with non-finished attic and basement, so running standard ductwork was relatively easy.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
hey out of curiosity, are either of these systems the "pipe" systems i've seen used in older homes? or are they duct systems in walls/ceilings?
The UNICO system is a high-speed forced air system that has to be installed properly or you get a high-pitched whistle instead of a smooth flow of air. It?s a small caliber flexible tubing system that is that can be run through the plaster walls of older homes.

The Sanyo unit is a low profile, internal mount system that lets you have AC without going through the walls of your home. The compressor is outside, either on the ground level or on the roof. The condensation tube and wiring is the only parts that are run through the walls. The profile of the unit in the house measures about 3' wide, 5? deep, and 12? high.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 3:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/24 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
i can not recommend air aton...

when they attended to maintenance of
my hvac system (for 2 years) all appeared
fine. but when issues other then the usual
maintenance came up they stopped being attentative.

eric promised to do research
to resolve the problems. that was the last i heard from
him _ poof _ would not return calls.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Parkman is partially right as far as Air-A-Ton is concerned.

Only Eric and his father (the co-proprietors) and maybe Victor (their lead installer) go to certification programs. The rest of the guys --- many of which are simply employed there by virtue of being their relatives --- are dimwits.

I have used Air-A-Ton on two different (and pretty big) projects, and they are outright unreliable on honoring appointments and doing things in the proper pecking order. On one job, my wife and I had to actually do some of the HVAC work ourselves because they were more than a week overdue in showing up to do it as promised, and thus my drywallers were being held up from closing the walls as a result.

Before that debacle, I had regrettably already referred Air-A-Ton to my next door neighbor (who is an accomplished architect and thus more knowledgable than most on HVAC systems), and he had a worse time than I.

The problem is that Unico (and maybe Luxaire too) offers exclusive territories, and so Air-A-Ton was the "only game in town" if you wanted that particular system. My neighbor ultimately pitched a fit directly with Unico HQ and basically said "your territory rep sucks.....give me the name of the next closest installer or you can yank your partially-installed system out of here." He got the result he wanted, because some other designated outfit completed the job that Air-A-Ton started.

I never want them on any of my properties or projects again --- so much so that I GLADLY paid a little more for a service plan from another designated dealer of those same HVAC systems, just to not have to deal with Air-A-Ton again.
As I pointed out initially, I had the same reliability problems as djh101. However, the two systems I mentioned are still the way to go for a brownstone. If you can get Eric, Ovidio, and Victor to do the instillation you will be pleased with the outcome, otherwise see if you can find another certified company to do the work.

Perhaps, djh101 would provide the name of the alternate source.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 3:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman is partially right as far as Air-A-Ton is concerned.

Only Eric and his father (the co-proprietors) and maybe Victor (their lead installer) go to certification programs. The rest of the guys --- many of which are simply employed there by virtue of being their relatives --- are dimwits.

I have used Air-A-Ton on two different (and pretty big) projects, and they are outright unreliable on honoring appointments and doing things in the proper pecking order. On one job, my wife and I had to actually do some of the HVAC work ourselves because they were more than a week overdue in showing up to do it as promised, and thus my drywallers were being held up from closing the walls as a result.

Before that debacle, I had regrettably already referred Air-A-Ton to my next door neighbor (who is an accomplished architect and thus more knowledgable than most on HVAC systems), and he had a worse time than I.

The problem is that Unico (and maybe Luxaire too) offers exclusive territories, and so Air-A-Ton was the "only game in town" if you wanted that particular system. My neighbor ultimately pitched a fit directly with Unico HQ and basically said "your territory rep sucks.....give me the name of the next closest installer or you can yank your partially-installed system out of here." He got the result he wanted, because some other designated outfit completed the job that Air-A-Ton started.

I never want them on any of my properties or projects again --- so much so that I GLADLY paid a little more for a service plan from another designated dealer of those same HVAC systems, just to not have to deal with Air-A-Ton again.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 2:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/5 20:09
From Fifth Street
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman,

Thank you for your post. It is very, very helpful.
I will give Air-Aton a call.

The two contractors mentioned in my original post came to give me an estimate and told me that UNICO was going to be a difficult installation (one said he probably couldn?t do it at all). I think the best I might hope for is a UNICO on the top 2 floors and a Sanyo-type split system on the ground floor (which is where my kitchen/dining area is), as there is really no channel for even the most limited ductwork from top to bottom. Perhaps Air-Aton will have better ideas.

Again, thank you.

Anyone else with thoughts or advice?
Parkman set the bar pretty high, but feel free to chime in.

Tim

Posted on: 2007/3/3 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tim wrote:
I am considering putting central air in an old townhouse this year. The house has been recently rennovated, but they did not install AC. The house is 3 floors and has no ductwork.

I am interested if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with Integrate Comfort Systems, Inc. (ICS) in Belleville and/or All Seasons Mechanical.

Also - does anyone have a UNICO system in thier house, and, if so, who installed it and would you recommend them?

Many thanks,
Tim
Two years ago I installed the UNICO system in my brownstone for the top two floors and the year before a Sanyo tri-unit for the parlor floor. Both systems work beautifully and are the least messy way to install AC when you?re not doing a full renovation or if this system is the only work you want done.

That said, even with the ducts being only 3? in diameter, installation is still messy and dusty; these old brownstone walls are not easy to get into. The advantages of both units are that you don?t have to drop your ceiling to accommodate large ductwork and the flexible tubing for the airflow does not have to be fabricated. Both units are quite, with the Sanyo being almost silent.

I used Air-Aton out of Union City for both instillations; they attend classes at the manufactures plant to get certification. The only problem I had with them was lack of consistency in being on time; you need to stay on top of their scheduling.
Their phone number is 201 792-9205.

If you need more info, PM me with your phone number.

Ps. The Unico can also be used for heating.

Posted on: 2007/3/2 22:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/5 20:09
From Fifth Street
Group:
Registered Users
I am considering putting central air in an old townhouse this year. The house has been recently rennovated, but they did not install AC. The house is 3 floors and has no ductwork.

I am interested if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with Integrate Comfort Systems, Inc. (ICS) in Belleville and/or All Seasons Mechanical.

Also - does anyone have a UNICO system in thier house, and, if so, who installed it and would you recommend them?

Many thanks,
Tim

Posted on: 2007/3/2 21:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've been using J&J HVAC for 4-5 years and have been very happy with their service and prices. Call Joe @ 201-390-2111

Posted on: 2006/9/20 20:18
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Central heat and cooling.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone recommend a contractor to install central air conditioning (HVAC) and a new gas heating furnace in a large brownstone?

I was considering Kook, but read a bad review on another thread.

Robin.

Posted on: 2006/9/6 21:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017